ComicCon Is Killing Magic

Discussions about the secondary market for Magic Cards. What's Hot? What has fallen from grace?

Moderator: Thrillho

Tom Servo
Tire Aficionado
(View: POSTS_VIEWTOPIC /POSTS_VIEWTOPIC_INTO)

ComicCon Is Killing Magic

Postby Tom Servo » Sun Jul 07, 2013 6:20 pm

So these black on black planeswalker promos will be available for a minute or so online after ComicCon
SDCC Exclusive

There will be an exclusive box set for sale at the Hasbro Toy Shop booth (#3329) available for $65 (tax included). After the event a limited number will be put up for sale on the Hasbro Toy Shop website for $59.99 plus tax.
http://www.wizards.com/Magic/Magazine/A ... rcana/1270

Someone on SillySally got an e-mail from Hasbro about the details:
We will be selling limited quantities of the SDCC merchandise at some point following the convention. Unfortunately we cannot give you a precise day or time that the items will be scheduled to go live as there are several factors that come into play – leftover
stock needs to be inventoried at the close of the convention, loaded onto trailers and shipped to our warehouse where it needs to be received, recounted and examined for damages and put into stock. At that point it will be available for sale. We ask that you check back on the site frequently following the close of the convention for the best opportunity to purchase. Pre-Orders are not available on these items.

Please refer to the following to assist you with your attempt to purchase Comic Con items when they become available:

An item being placed in a customer’s cart does not reserve the item(s) for that customer. The item is not reserved for that customer until the order has been completely placed and the customer receives an order number. An item can sell out while you are attempting to finalize your order. Should that happen you will be required to remove the sold out item from your cart before you can proceed with the rest of your order.

All items available for purchase on HasbroToyShop.com
have strict cart limits. These limits vary by item, but are strictly enforced. Placing multiple orders in an attempt to obtain higher than the allotted quantity will not result in the customer receiving more than the allowed cart limit. All orders going over the limit will be canceled. These limits are per person and per household. We apologize if these limits are unsatisfactory to our customers, but they are in place so that we can allow as many consumers as possible to obtain the items they desire.

On the day the Comic Con items become available there will be extremely high traffic on HasbroToyShop.com. Unfortunately this high volume of traffic can cause slowness with our website. Please be advised that opening additional browser windows will not better your chances of receiving these items, and may in fact impede your progress with placing an order.

Once these items are sold out on HasbroToyShop.com on the initial release date, the only recommendation we can give in regards to obtaining the items
is that you continue to check the site in the weeks following the convention, as minimal quantities may become available due to order cancellations. As with the initial sale of these items, we will not be able to provide you a specific date or time that this may happen. Once the picture of these items is removed from our site the item is completely sold out and will never be available for purchase through HasbroToyShop.com again.

HasbroToyShop.com customer service is unable to put our consumers on any type of waiting list for these items, regardless of the reason you were unable to make your purchase. If you are unable to obtain your desired items on the initial day of sale you will need to check the site periodically to see if the item you desire is back in stock.

Additionally, the customer service department at HasbroToyShop.com does experience the same issues within our purchasing system and will be unable to place an order any more quickly over the phone. There will be a high call volume on the
day the items are released on our site, as well as in the days and weeks following. We do ask that you remain patient with us. We are committed to doing our very best to assist all of our customers and we wish you the best of luck in obtaining the 2013 Comic Con exclusives you desire.
Eric, Ren and Jensen were activists
Heads loaded with theory, their hearts are filled with passion
Shared the same left wing politics
Liked the same music, they were part of the protest movement
Now, Anna presented herself as a feminist
Studied the way they talked and dressed
Fashioned herself an anarchist
Eric fell in love with Anna at the meeting of the crime think conference
He didn't know it but Anna was an FBI informant

Checkbox
Tryhard of the Year 2012

Postby Checkbox » Sun Jul 07, 2013 10:42 pm

Oh stop whining. People have been giving out exclusive stuff at cons for years, this time its the magic community who whines and complains about everything they can't have.
whisper words of wisdom
let it be known that my official decree as administrator of this site is that the grimmace's dick is 16" long.
it's not cheating if you hand her the jizz afterwards
Get the hairbrush out of your ear and put it in your ass where it belongs, then try again

Tom Servo
Tire Aficionado

Postby Tom Servo » Mon Jul 08, 2013 4:11 am

I'm not actually whining. I'm just providing information. The title is sarcastic.

Pendulum
Tire Aficionado

Postby Pendulum » Mon Jul 08, 2013 5:07 am

I pretty much agree with Checkbox, it's not a new thing to have promos at Cons and ComiCon is one of the bigger ones. 'Course I don't really think those are all that cool so that's probably skewing my perspective.

Alex
Not Even MAD

Postby Alex » Mon Jul 08, 2013 4:12 pm

They aren't going to be worth that much anyway, most Conswag hits eBay for practically nothing because people grab as much free shit as possible.

Yannaria
Tire Aficionado

Postby Yannaria » Mon Jul 08, 2013 9:02 pm

these aren't free

DroppinSuga
Tire Aficionado

Postby DroppinSuga » Mon Jul 08, 2013 11:53 pm

These are $65 MSRP and limited. They'll end up being remarkably high priced.

Alex
Not Even MAD

Postby Alex » Mon Jul 08, 2013 11:55 pm

Oh, that's lame. I'm not a pleb so I'll be getting the whole set for free, I didn't realize people were (read: likely aren't) going to pay for them.

Col. Khaddafi
Regular Scumbag

Postby Col. Khaddafi » Tue Jul 09, 2013 12:17 am

Post All the set here once you get them for Free, Alex
Originally posted by Galspanic on MTGS
I would still like to see the posts sent over to ( N_S ) and have the Salvation Gutter archived away and replaced with a link to MTGC.
Thank you for all the lies. Another fine display of integrity by iridium :thumbsup:

Yannaria
Tire Aficionado

Postby Yannaria » Tue Jul 09, 2013 7:32 am

ComicCon leaks!

Alex
Not Even MAD

Postby Alex » Tue Jul 09, 2013 9:11 am

Post All the set here once you get them for Free, Alex
Will do. Should my penis be in the picture as well? Just curious.

Col. Khaddafi
Regular Scumbag

Postby Col. Khaddafi » Tue Jul 09, 2013 10:33 am

I'll leave it up to your best aesthetically judgment.
I would still like to see the posts sent over to ( N_S ) and have the Salvation Gutter archived away and replaced with a link to MTGC.
Thank you for all the lies. Another fine display of integrity by iridium :thumbsup:

Alex
Not Even MAD

Postby Alex » Tue Jul 09, 2013 10:56 am

I'll be a booth babe, slinging that Starcity merch under Wizards' wing. I hope they have me wear a bikini.

Yannaria
Tire Aficionado

Postby Yannaria » Tue Jul 09, 2013 3:03 pm

it's a banana hammick if you're a guy

Alex
Not Even MAD

Postby Alex » Tue Jul 09, 2013 3:24 pm

it's a banana hammick if you're a guy
I stand firm by my choice of words.

DroppinSuga
Tire Aficionado

Postby DroppinSuga » Wed Jul 10, 2013 1:17 am

On Alex, it's definitely a bikini.

Thrillho
A clever, smart boy

Postby Thrillho » Wed Jul 10, 2013 7:27 pm

They aren't going to be worth that much anyway, most Conswag hits eBay for practically nothing because people grab as much free shit as possible.
Court of Owls masks were being given away for free at San Diego and NY Comic Cons and were on eBay for $40+ a piece. They're still going for $24-80+ depending on whether or not they're signed. And Court of Owls ended and was forgotten about months ago.

Limited edition free (and for sale) con swag, especially at those two conventions, is resold for huge amounts more than the base cost. One of my friends goes each year and makes absurd sums off of collecting swag and reselling it after the convention (in addition to doing reporting on new statues).

Alex
Not Even MAD

Postby Alex » Wed Jul 10, 2013 7:48 pm

I've only ever done this with E3 and most of the stuff there isn't worth more than $10, almost not even worth the hassle of carting around/listing on eBay. I usually just try and break even on my admission.

Thrillho
A clever, smart boy

Postby Thrillho » Tue Jul 16, 2013 3:10 pm

I've only ever done this with E3 and most of the stuff there isn't worth more than $10, almost not even worth the hassle of carting around/listing on eBay. I usually just try and break even on my admission.
Most of the stuff at E3 isn't limited numbers of Batman-themed poker chip sets or cosplay items from a great if not forgettable Batman story arc. Or limited edition My Little Pony figures.

Alex
Not Even MAD

Postby Alex » Sat Jul 20, 2013 4:58 am

Most of the stuff at E3 isn't limited numbers of Batman-themed poker chip sets or cosplay items from a great if not forgettable Batman story arc. Or limited edition My Little Pony figures.
Yeah you guys may have been spot-on. At like 2pm this afternoon our whole stock was gone. Apparently they don't know just how much Magic has grown since they purchased it...

Right now
sitting on my bed I have like $2,000 in black-on-black PWs though, at least from what I've been told. eBay on my phone is pretty hard to navigate so I can't really tell if people are actually buying them at $500 a piece or not, but that's the forecast on Reddit so maybe...? That's...just insane. After the feeding frenzy dies down I can see them plummeting. I'm not sure if its taboo for me to sell mine since I got them via WoTC and didn't pay for them so I think I am going to just hold on to mine as to not piss off any powers that be. Still...five hundred bucks a pop? Ughhhh.

If anyone wants to swing by and say what's up, I'll be the guy in the WoTC booth all weekend pitching for the Starcity circuit. :hi:

Checkbox
Tryhard of the Year 2012

Postby Checkbox » Sat Jul 20, 2013 6:53 pm

:'( I wanted a set...
whisper words of wisdom
let it be known that my official decree as administrator of this site is that the grimmace's dick is 16" long.
Get the hairbrush out of your ear and put it in your ass where it belongs, then try again

Alex
Not Even MAD

Postby Alex » Sat Jul 20, 2013 7:33 pm

:'( I wanted a set...
They're not as impressive in person. The foiling was done very poorly and you can see the layer of foil around the edges. They're actually really tacky looking, so don't feel too bad. You didn't miss much.

Edit: You can see what I mean.

Col. Khaddafi
Regular Scumbag

Postby Col. Khaddafi » Sat Jul 20, 2013 10:40 pm

Yeah they look like those power9 chinese proxies I have, i.e. they look like shit.

Alex
Not Even MAD

Postby Alex » Sat Jul 20, 2013 11:01 pm

It's really so bad that I think Hasbro used non-WoTC printing presses for it...

It's that bad.

Pendulum
Tire Aficionado

Postby Pendulum » Sun Jul 21, 2013 12:17 am

On the plus side, it's nice to know that when the chips are down, Wizards can still take a fairly simple process and just fuck the fucking shit fuck out of the fuck of that fuck.
...ah, I love this website. :love2:

Alex
Not Even MAD

Postby Alex » Sun Jul 21, 2013 1:02 am

On the plus side, it's nice to know that when the chips are down, Wizards can still take a fairly simple process and just fuck the fucking shit fuck out of the fuck of that fuck.
...ah, I love this website. :love2:
Wizards actually had no hands in this. Hasbro went over their heads. Which is likely why the print run is such shit quality.

Checkbox
Tryhard of the Year 2012

Postby Checkbox » Sun Jul 21, 2013 1:03 am

the borders are really my biggest issue with it; still wanted one though.
whisper words of wisdom

Pendulum
Tire Aficionado

Postby Pendulum » Sun Jul 21, 2013 2:11 am

[quote="[url=viewtopic.php?p=81295#p81295:yr0fkztf]Alex » Sat Jul 20, 2013 7:02 pm[/url:yr0fkztf]":yr0fkztf][quote="[url=viewtopic.php?p=81283#p81283:yr0fkztf]Pendulum » Sat Jul 20, 2013 6:17 pm[/url:yr0fkztf]":yr0fkztf]On the plus side, it's nice to know that when the chips are down, Wizards can still take a fairly simple process and just fuck the fucking shit fuck out of the fuck of that fuck.
...ah, I love this website. :love2:[/quote:yr0fkztf]
Wizards actually had no hands in this. Hasbro went over their heads. Which is likely why the print run is such shit quality.[/quote:yr0fkztf]
Fair enough. I thought maybe Wizards retained some creative control but guess I was wrong. :S

Thrillho
A clever, smart boy

Postby Thrillho » Mon Jul 22, 2013 4:47 pm

http://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_trksid= ... &_from=R40
Complete sets are selling for around $400 on eBay.

Thrillho
A clever, smart boy

Postby Thrillho » Mon Jul 22, 2013 4:49 pm

Also please note the $70 raver DJ Pony in the search.
Fingers crossed that the friend who had to do a different friend a favor and get him some of those raver ponies was able to grab me a set while waiting in the same line, but given the news Alex had, that's probably unlikely.

Tom Servo
Tire Aficionado

Postby Tom Servo » Tue Jul 23, 2013 8:48 pm

the black on black thread on sillysally is pretty funny. It's packed around the clock

Alex
Not Even MAD

Postby Alex » Tue Jul 23, 2013 8:53 pm

Also please note the $70 raver DJ Pony in the search.
Fingers crossed that the friend who had to do a different friend a favor and get him some of those raver ponies was able to grab me a set while waiting in the same line, but given the news Alex had, that's probably unlikely.
I don't know what stock was like on anything non-MTG related, but at our part of the booth it was literally jam packed the entire time and our stock was gone almost immediately for anything comic-con exclusive.

Hell, I even ran out of SCG life pads and deck boxes after a while. And I had a box of 50,000 life pads when I got here. Deck boxes went slower since everyone has an SCG deckbox at this point but even those went out on Sunday.

Yannaria
Tire Aficionado

Postby Yannaria » Wed Jul 24, 2013 12:25 am

the black on black thread on sillysally is pretty funny. It's packed around the clock
it's fucking hilarious

Zooligan

Postby Zooligan » Tue Nov 05, 2013 9:53 pm

Just to update the thread here, they are now going for well over $500 a set on ebay...

http://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_sacat=0 ... ld=1&rt=nc

Kaitscralt
A frog among toads

Postby Kaitscralt » Tue Nov 05, 2013 9:56 pm

Yikes. I wanted a set.
Standard hobos who play budget garbage should be looked upon with suspicion.

Mcdonalds
Tire Aficionado

Postby Mcdonalds » Wed Nov 06, 2013 1:27 am

Too bad they look like shit irl (at least looking at the pics alex took)

The pics when they were announced made them look really fucking cool

Second Harkius
Spam Yrself Clean

Postby Second Harkius » Wed Nov 06, 2013 5:00 am

The promos bring all the nerds to the yard.

Thrillho
A clever, smart boy

Postby Thrillho » Wed Nov 06, 2013 5:16 pm

that's basically what happens with limited edition things.

Zooligan

Postby Zooligan » Thu Nov 07, 2013 6:57 pm

that's basically what happens with limited edition things.
Dood! They're "rare". And "collectable".

Thrillho
A clever, smart boy

Postby Thrillho » Sun Nov 10, 2013 6:23 pm

I heard they sold out the first day after hearing from numerous sources they would partition out stock over the whole convention and a bunch more for online sales. Good joke.

Return to “Market Street Café”