[Primer] PyroRed

Threads from Standard formats since passed.

Moderators: Kaitscralt, zemanjaski, Christen

Valdarith
Tire Aficionado
(View: POSTS_VIEWTOPIC /POSTS_VIEWTOPIC_INTO)

Postby Valdarith » Fri Jan 10, 2014 5:33 pm

Yeah, YP$ can be a real bummer against UWx. It's not as bad in black builds running Dreadbore, but it's still annoying.
Check out my stream! http://www.twitch.tv/valdarith

LaZerBurn
Tire Aficionado

Postby LaZerBurn » Fri Jan 10, 2014 6:01 pm

Purp, you and I are running the same 73 of 75 now. And Lazer, I know your deck is very similar as well. I'm curious as well to know how the Wear/Tear has been working for you.

I feel like Ash Zealot is a better fit for me personally than Skyknight Legionnaire and Legion's Initiative because the 3 drop slot felt a bit large, so I cut them and a Firedrinker for 4 Ash Zealot so I will see how they do tonight. Unfortunately my weekends are pretty packed the next two weeks so I can't get to some REL Competitive events so I will doing my best to test on MTGO. My goal is to start jumping in 8 mans and get exposed to the top decks as much as possible. My biggest weakness is not being exposed to the top decks as much as I need, so I need to work on that.

Boros Charm is
the card I am most on the fence with in the sideboard. I have been trying the 1 Mountain and 1 Stormbreath Dragon and I am liking it against Control and Mono Blue. It may be wrong to bring them in against Mono Blue, but my thinking is that I want to grind the game out with removal and eventually stick a Dragon as a finisher and the extra land and Dragon help with that. Let me know what you all think.
I like Ash over Skyknight for the same reasons - lets me curve out and cast multiple spells a turn :) I like Selfie's evasion but with this much removal I'm aiming to keep the board clear for Ash :) MTGO is brilliant for testing - lots of GOOD players, all the top decks and you get to see all the triggers etc :)

My current SB is the same as yours but
I'm testing Glare Of Heresy over Boros Charm. Glare is more flexible and has more targets (esp Vs Esper MidRange and GW, which are tricky match ups) than Wear. Boros Charm is def better in some match ups though.

The Dragon is great Vs MonoU. I take out my 1 drops and 1 Ash for Chains, Mortars, LB, land and Dragon.
Thanks to NerdBoyWonder for the awesome sig :)

poppa_f

Postby poppa_f » Fri Jan 10, 2014 6:15 pm

My problem with Ash is that I feel like she's better in the matchups where I already feel ahead (control, small aggro), but skyknight is better in some of the tighter matchups.

I find the evasion can be critical against decks like G/x, R/w devotion, MBD, where you can end up board stalled against things like Sylvain Carythid, frostburn weird, nightveil spectre, reckoner etc, when you just need to squeeze through another few points of damage to win. I'm always happy to top-deck Skyknight against those decks, but Ash is often a blank if not played in the first few turns of the game.

LaZerBurn
Tire Aficionado

Postby LaZerBurn » Fri Jan 10, 2014 6:30 pm

I'd like to here ya'll's thoughts on how well YP$ has been performing recently - we're in almost the same place as the Big Boros list, it's getting to the point that the only difference is -Shock -YP, +Ash, lands, Dragons.
It's true - simply drop YP and Shock and add land, Dragons and Selfie or Helix and bingo! You've transformed to Big Boros :)

I'm finding YP as good as ever, especially against aggro and Bx (though Glogari Charm wrecks him) but I suspect that Big Boros currently has the edge as a better choice of deck - I just prefer the play style of more lower cc critters and the ability to cast multiple spells a turn so I tend to favour PyroDragons.

[
quote="poppa_f » Fri Jan 10, 2014 6:15 pm"]My problem with Ash is that I feel like she's better in the matchups where I already feel ahead (control, small aggro), but skyknight is better in some of the tighter matchups.

I find the evasion can be critical against decks like G/x, R/w devotion, MBD, where you can end up board stalled against things like Sylvain Carythid, frostburn weird, nightveil spectre, reckoner etc, when you just need to squeeze through another few points of damage to win. I'm always happy to top-deck Skyknight against those decks, but Ash is often a blank if not played in the first few turns of the game.[/quote]
I like Ash for hitting curve and combat tricks but I can't disagree with any of this :) Not running Skyknight does mean I can get away with not playing the horrible
Guildgate though :) That said while when I'm playing Ash I can't imagine not running her when she's not there (the original PyroDragons list for example) I don't miss her!

MattT

Postby MattT » Fri Jan 10, 2014 10:58 pm

I don't run Pack Rat and I play a lot more grindy so that could be the difference. Often when I win with him I'm sitting on six mana and a couple of dudes on the board.
That´s probably it. And he´s better friends with YP$ than Rats I reckon.

@Helios: I go back and forth with YP$. I think the slower and tricksier advantage Young Harry Potter offers over the Rats ability to just take over doesn´t suit me as well. Again, a thing about Style I guess.

Helios
Tire Aficionado

Postby Helios » Fri Jan 10, 2014 11:12 pm

I do believe that I will give Pyroskies a shot tonight, and see if I can win the store credit to finish Devotion >:)

magicdownunder
Tire Aficionado

Postby magicdownunder » Sat Jan 11, 2014 1:04 am

we're in almost the same place as the Big Boros list, it's getting to the point that the only difference is -Shock -YP, +Ash, lands, Dragons.
I wonder how that happen :isthatso:
I'd like to here ya'll's thoughts on how well YP$ has been performing recently
I'm disliking YP more and more these days due to G.Charm, Pain // Gain and Shrivel, it seems like all the decks which I love YP in are now packing answers to deal with him (Wb Weenies, Esper, Bx Devotion), it doesnt help that YP is still hopeless vs Rx Devotion and UWx Control decks.

That said, if your Opp. is playing Ratchet Bomb would you stop running Advent of the Wurm? So yeah.... I'm moving away from him but that doesn't mean he is bad for the current meta.

Enjoy Pauper, Standard, Momir, Modern and Music? then visit my channel: Video Link

amcfvieira

Postby amcfvieira » Sat Jan 11, 2014 2:09 am

Hi guys sorry for disappearing for some days but I'm in trying to get a new job and didn't play at all this week in MODO and didn't come much to internet.

About Pyro Izzet, my initial list is more about tempo and after 2 transformations it's more about control the board and midrange. I'm not happy with the three lists at all, and if you want we can test/discuss options to make it work. ask what you want about how it played and I answer with my experience.

My initial 75 for PyroIzzet (I will post in a Spoiler to don't make a super big post):

[deck]Lands 23
10 Mountain
2 Island
3 Mutavault
4 Steam Vents
4 Izzet Guildgate

Creatures 14
2 Niv-Mizzet, Dracogenius
4 Chandra's Phoenix
4 Young Pyromancer
4 Frostburn Weird

Instants 17
4 Lightning Strike
4 Magma Jet
4 Shock
2 Turn // Burn
2 Steam Augury
1 Cyclonic Rift

Sorcery 03
3 Mizzium Mortars

Planeswalkers 03
Chandra, Pyromaster

Sideboard 15
4 Firedrinker Satyr
4 Rakdos Cackler
1 Mizzium Mortars
2 Turn // Burn
4 Skullcrack
[/deck]
In first day I didn't like very much Frostburn Weird and Cyclonic Rift and I change it to only 10 creatures:

[deck]Lands 24
10 Mountain
2 Island
4 Mutavault
4 Steam Vents
4 Izzet Guildgate

Creatures 10
4 Chandra's Phoenix
4 Young Pyromancer

Instants 20
4 Lightning Strike
4 Magma Jet
4 Shock
3 Turn // Burn
2 Steam Augury
3 Izzet Charm

Sorcery 03
3 Mizzium Mortars

Planeswalkers 03
3 Chandra, Pyromaster

Sideboard 15
4 Firedrinker Satyr
4 Rakdos Cackler
1 Mizzium Mortars
1 Turn // Burn
4 Skullcrack
1 Izzet Charm
[/deck]
Then I find more synergies with Izzet Charm (really good until middle of the game at least) and decided to try Anger of Gods. I have acquire Stormbreath Dragon and try it too.

[deck]Lands 24
10 Mountain
Island
4 Mutavault
4 Steam Vents
4 Izzet Guildgate

Creatures 12
2 Stormbreath Dragon
4 Chandra's Phoenix
4 Young Pyromancer

Instants 17
4 Lightning Strike
4 Magma Jet
3 Turn // Burn
2 Steam Augury
4 Izzet Charm

Sorcery 05
3 Anger of Gods
2 Mizzium Mortars

Planeswalkers 02
2 Chandra, Pyromaster

Sideboard 15
4 Firedrinker Satyr
4 Rakdos Cackler
2 Mizzium Mortars
1 Turn // Burn
3 Skullcrack
1 Chandra, Pyromaster
[/deck]
This is what I test. My sideboard was in all version more number of the cards I want to test and 12 cards against control. Sincerely I more and more hate Steam Augury. We don't make the choice and many times it was very bad for find the solution we need because our opponent put it on the graveyard (if it went to the bottom of the library it was bad but in the graveyard it was worst). I don't give up of that yet, but it's really clunky...

I play in all formats Izzet deck, so I will soon or latter play
Izzet in this standard, but it's not really in my our. I would like to play Rakdos in next paper tournaments but I don't have all the cards (if I can borrow it I will give that a try until Born of the Gods). If someone want to test in MODO with me I can in Sunday afternoon (GMT time). Tomorrow I will try to go to some standard tournament.
Legacy: IZZET DELVER ; BURN
Modern: TEMPO TWINS ; UR STORM ; BURN
Standard: Work in Progress

Valdarith
Tire Aficionado

Postby Valdarith » Sat Jan 11, 2014 2:29 am

Have you taken a look at my UR thread? You may like the control list I brewed up there.

amcfvieira

Postby amcfvieira » Sat Jan 11, 2014 2:36 am

I didn't I have to go see that thread.

Alex
Not Even MAD

Postby Alex » Sat Jan 11, 2014 6:58 am

4-0'd playing this pile. I didn't have all of the cards I wanted to include on me, so I threw some stuff in as 1-ofs on the fly.

[deck]Bad Boros[/deck]

I would play another Tajic, that dude is sweet. Never brought in Anger of the Gods, it seems bad, could easily see it being more
ways to deal with Reckoners. Maybe Renounce the Guilds or something. I saw a few Whip of Erebos around so maybe Rest in Peace is worth some merit. RiP is also good in the mirror for enemy Phoenix races.

RaidaTheBlade
Tire Aficionado

Postby RaidaTheBlade » Sat Jan 11, 2014 8:05 am

Went 2-2-1 tonight with the pyrorakis deck I posted earlier. Would/should have been 3-2 but I played too slowly game 1, and turns ended a single turn before I would have killed him.

All in all, fairly happy testing-wise. Might run it in a GPT tomorrow, or might end up staying home, not feeling 100%

Full writeup whenever I can.
I, for one, would like to welcome our new firebreathing narwhal overlords.

poppa_f

Postby poppa_f » Sat Jan 11, 2014 9:08 am

Born of the gods spoilers have started :crazy:

DriftingLifted
Newcomer

Postby DriftingLifted » Sat Jan 11, 2014 10:52 am

4-1 tonight at FNM, wins against Mono B, Naya Control, a Dimir deck playing Pack Rat, Thoughtseize, Desecration Demon, counters removal and Ashiok, and an Izzet Counter-Burn brew, and losing to Mono-U.

Made a couple big mistakes in the first game vs Mono U. Misplayed a Magma Jet that I needed for the scry to a white source. I had two Chained to the Rocks in hand. Master of Waves ended up being played turn 4 and there wasn't too long a match after that. Feel I can decently play the Control role against Mono U post board and try to grind out a win, but I lose the top deck war if I'm behind late game. Removal is precious yet important early on, I'll need to learn over time which threats to prioritize. Opponent is a local a PTQ player who ended up tying for first tonight. Truthfully I felt a little outplayed though I did make some questionable decisions.

Most fun game were against Naya. I just like big fatty
creatures. First game was a free win for me after I had an aggressive draw and he mulled to 4. Second game I mulled to 5 and didn't have enough answers to Polukranos, then 2 back to back Stormbreath Dragons. Killed one with mizzium mortars, a card I was glad to have often throughout the night. Third game I kept what I thought was a very good hand against him, with 2 mountains, a temple, 2 dragons, a chains and an ash zealot. He had few early turn plays, I knew he had Voices of Resurgence but never saw them. He answers my first few threats with some Chains and I kill his with burn. Draw Chandra, and play her safely and start +ing. I draw another Chandra before the first hits 7. I Ultimate, 3x magma jet, he responds with last breath on his creature. I play my second Chandra and then +1. Next draw a land to play a Dragon for the win.

List I played was basically Purp's/d1sh0ng's except I ran all 4 Mutavaults main without the guildgate. No extra Dragon in the SB yet, so no land either, I ran an extra Boros
Reckoner and a Flames of the Firebrand. One copy of Wear//Tear in the SB too.

Will be play testing games against Mono U asap, practising only with paper isn't the most convenient to match with friends. I need to try Cockatrice more often. Got lucky on some opponents and but I felt I learned quite a bit and played pretty well for my second FNM. I will be reviewing more in my head tomorrow.

Pedros
Tire Aficionado

Postby Pedros » Sat Jan 11, 2014 1:46 pm

Looking for comments about a deck I play 4 events with. Only 3 recorded (Didnt manage to record Premier before it was out of options to see it). Bad that last one didnt got to be recored, as most loses came from that one and they would be beneficial about disscusing this deck ;/

[deck]
4 Young Pyromancer
4 Chandra's Phoenix
4 Boros Reckoner
2 Stormbreath Dragon

2 Chained to the Rocks
4 Lightning Strike
4 Magma Jet
2 Mizzium Mortars
2 Warleader's Helix

2 Chandra, Pyromaster
2 Purphoros, God of the Forge
2 Assemble the Legion
1 Elspeth, Sun's Champion

9 Mountain
3 Plains
3 Mutavault
4 Sacred Foundry
4 Temple of Triumph
2 Boros Guildgate

Sideboard
2 Stormbreath Dragon
2 Last Breath
1 Glare of Heresy
1 Hammer of Purphoros
1 Wear/Tear
1 Elspeth, Sun's Champion
1 Pithing Needle
1 Chandra's Outrage
2 Chained to the Rocks
2 Anger of the Gods
1 Blind Obedience
[/deck]

[url=http://
youtu.be/9APCMtZ53Go]MTGO Boros Tokens Daily Event Round 1[/url]
MTGO Boros Tokens Daily Event Round 2
[url=hhttp://youtu.be/H2tLkHN8SPo]MTGO Boros Tokens Daily Event Round 3[/url]
MTGO Boros Tokens Daily Event Round 4

MTGO Boros Tokens THS Championships Qualifier Round 1
MTGO Boros Tokens THS Championships Qualifier Round 2
MTGO Boros Tokens THS Championships Qualifier Round 3
MTGO Boros Tokens THS Championships Qualifier Round 4
MTGO Boros Tokens THS Championships Qualifier Round 5

R&D Challenge
incoming later.

Ideas:
Ratched bomb in MD/SB
More chains MD.
More assemble the legions in SB.
Sig by NerdBoyWonder

LaZerBurn
Tire Aficionado

Postby LaZerBurn » Sat Jan 11, 2014 2:52 pm

I like the MD :) What's the SB plan?

amcfvieira

Postby amcfvieira » Sat Jan 11, 2014 3:25 pm

Have you taken a look at my UR thread? You may like the control list I brewed up there.
I read your thread, I never go there before because it's not in competitive and I didn't waste much time seeing the developing. Some ideas and discussions very good.

Valdarith
Tire Aficionado

Postby Valdarith » Sat Jan 11, 2014 3:36 pm

I read your thread, I never go there before because it's not in competitive and I didn't waste much time seeing the developing. Some ideas and discussions very good.
For what it's worth I do think the control deck is well positioned right now. I've played it against various decks with good results but haven't played enough to conclude definitively. I'm thinking of testing it again soon.

Helios
Tire Aficionado

Postby Helios » Sun Jan 12, 2014 3:00 am

Went 1-3 at FNM, playing the latest iteration of Pyroskies.

Smashed WW first round, even though I think I boarded incorrectly. He was splashing black for removal, but I didn't think about it and brought Reckoners in. Turns out I had more Reckoners in my hand than he had removal, so it didn't really matter, but still something to watch out for. We pretty much just win the games where we can play around Brave.

Literally no memory of what I played against round 2, but I lost. I think it was some kind of Orzhov humans deck, there were Sin Collectors and Last Breaths and that's all I remember.

Round 3 was a guy who is new to magic, I happened to have had a class with him before so we had a good time. He was playing Mono B, but I new he was missing some stuff and it was homebrewy. I got cocky in a tight G1 and forgot to leave Muta open as a blocker, attacking with it instead. He had whip on the board and was able to
reanimate a guy so that he could attack with Erebos. I knew that, but just misplayed hard. G2 he went all-in on Pack Rat and I didn't have the removal to deal.

Round 4 was GR Monsters, which was a lot of fun to play against. I lost G1 to Mystic -> Domri -> Chandra -> Stormbreath. G2 I found Stormbreath before he did. G3 was my first mull of the night, and I had to mull to 5. It was still a good game, but I wasn't able to keep up with all of his threats + drew 3 Temple of Triumph.

Thoughts: Young Pyromancer was supremely underwhelming in the games I played last night, and I pretty much wanted a hasty 2/2 every time. Selfie Legionnaire was excellent, and I think that with the amount of evasion the deck is playing we should revisit Pyrewild Shaman. This was the first event I played with Stormbreath, and, to the surprise of no one, it is the stone-cold nuts.

Conclusion: I'm going to try playing a "different" deck next week, i.e., dropping YP$. It feels like the format has reached
a place where making powerful early plays is better than trying to eek out value.

@Am: Just because a deck isn't in the competitive section doesn't mean it isn't a competitive deck, just means it hasn't "proven" itself by winning events regularly. Val's UR list looks like a very strong deck choice, and you should give it a shot.

Valdarith
Tire Aficionado

Postby Valdarith » Sun Jan 12, 2014 3:52 am

Tough luck Helios. I'm beginning to agree with you regarding Young Pyromancer. The way the meta has developed he's not nearly as good as he used to be. All the red decks he was good against have evolved into RW devotion and GR monsters which he's underwhelming against. Mono Black has learned to play around him by pitching Demon to Pack Rats and mono blue keeps the tokens at bay. I've been contemplating faster builds to go under these strategies and increase the speed and consistency of the deck.

I'm thinking of something like this:

[deck]
Creatures (20)
4 Firedrinker Satyr
4 Rakdos Cackler
4 Ash Zealot
4 Chandra's Phoenix
4 Skynight Legionnaire

Spells (17)
3 Chained to the Rocks
4 Lightning Strike
4 Magma Jet
4 Boros Charm
2 Chandra, Pyromaster

Lands (23)
4 Sacred Foundry
4 Temple of Triumph
2 Boros Guildgate
4 Mutavault
9 Mountain
[/deck]

magicdownunder
Tire Aficionado

Postby magicdownunder » Sun Jan 12, 2014 4:04 am

Tough luck Helios. I'm beginning to agree with you regarding Young Pyromancer. The way the meta has developed he's not nearly as good as he used to be. All the red decks he was good against have evolved into RW devotion and GR monsters which he's underwhelming against. Mono Black has learned to play around him by pitching Demon to Pack Rats and mono blue keeps the tokens at bay. I've been contemplating faster builds to go under these strategies and increase the speed and consistency of the deck.

I'm thinking of something like this:

[deck]
Creatures (20)
4 Firedrinker Satyr
4 Rakdos Cackler
4 Ash Zealot
4 Chandra's Phoenix
4 Skynight Legionnaire

Spells (17)
3 Chained to the Rocks
4 Lightning Strike
4 Magma Jet
4 Boros Charm
2 Chandra,
Pyromaster

Lands (23)
4 Sacred Foundry
4 Temple of Triumph
2 Boros Guildgate
4 Mutavault
9 Mountain
[/deck]
I'll cut one Boros Charm and Skynight Legionnaire for 2x Mizzium Mortars, but I like the list :smileup: I think it belongs in the Boros Aggro Thread though.

Enjoy Pauper, Standard, Momir, Modern and Music? then visit my channel: Video Link

Helios
Tire Aficionado

Postby Helios » Sun Jan 12, 2014 4:08 am

I'm thinking I want to just slam dragons >:) List looks good though, endless stream of hasty 2/2 fliers is going to be tough for the big decks to deal with.

As an addendum to my report, I wanted to note that none of the match-ups felt bad at all, and that the loses were largely due to me being out of practice.
Last edited by Helios on Sun Jan 12, 2014 4:27 am, edited 1 time in total.

Valdarith
Tire Aficionado

Postby Valdarith » Sun Jan 12, 2014 4:27 am

I'm going to move this to the Boros aggro thread.

Googims
Newcomer

Postby Googims » Sun Jan 12, 2014 5:30 am

damn no footage on the top 8 match with james kerr's r/w pyrodragon with 1 of pyreshaman

[deck]Creatures (21)
4 Ash Zealot
4 Chandra's Phoenix
4 Firedrinker Satyr
1 Pyrewild Shaman
4 Rakdos Cackler
1 Stormbreath Dragon
3 Young Pyromancer

Planeswalkers (2)
2 Chandra, Pyromaster

Lands (23)
11 Mountain
4 Mutavault
4 Sacred Foundry
4 Temple of Triumph

Spells (14)
2 Chained to the Rocks
4 Lightning Strike
4 Magma Jet
3 Shock
1 Flames of the Firebrand

Sideboard
1 Rod of Ruin
4 Boros Reckoner
2 Fanatic of Mogis
1 Stormbreath Dragon
2 Chained to the Rocks
3 Skullcrack
2 Mizzium Mortars
[/deck]

could be a dtr member?

Mod edit: Added decktags. -Alex

zemanjaski
Tire Aficionado

Postby zemanjaski » Sun Jan 12, 2014 5:37 am

It's a DTR list, funnily enough. We've got a lot of lurkers.
1 - Drunk, surly zem
2 - Nice, modest zem
3 - Bragpost zem
4 - Confident and funny zem
5 - Condescending jerk zem
6 - Self-aware zem
Everyone's a winner, we're making our fame,
Bona fide hustler making my name

magicdownunder
Tire Aficionado

Postby magicdownunder » Sun Jan 12, 2014 5:42 am

Its the same list purp and one other DrT member used to take a SCG many many weeks back.

Alex
Not Even MAD

Postby Alex » Sun Jan 12, 2014 6:26 am

[quote="Googims » Sat Jan 11, 2014 11:30 pm"]damn no footage on the top 8 match with james kerr's r/w pyrodragon with 1 of pyreshaman

[deck]Creatures (21)
4 Ash Zealot
4 Chandra's Phoenix
4 Firedrinker Satyr
1 Pyrewild Shaman
4 Rakdos Cackler
1 Stormbreath Dragon
3 Young Pyromancer

Planeswalkers (2)
2 Chandra, Pyromaster

Lands (23)
11 Mountain
4 Mutavault
4 Sacred Foundry
4 Temple of Triumph

Spells (14)
2 Chained to the Rocks
4 Lightning Strike
4 Magma Jet
3 Shock
1 Flames of the Firebrand

Sideboard
1 Rod of Ruin
4 Boros Reckoner
2 Fanatic of Mogis
1 Stormbreath Dragon
2 Chained to the Rocks
3 Skullcrack
2 Mizzium Mortars
[/deck]

could be a dtr member?

Mod edit: Added decktags. -Alex[/quote:
7o69xhck]
Deck looks sweet, I like Pyrewild Shaman, I should try that out.

Khaospawn
Khaospawn's beautiful and unique title

Postby Khaospawn » Sun Jan 12, 2014 6:45 am

Let's hope he gives credit tomorrow if he wins it. Seriously. That list is straight up taken from here, but his teammates tried to tell me it was a completely original design by him, made just the other day. Seriously. Nobody just comes up with Pyrewild, 3/1 split on Shock and Flames, sideboard Fanatics, and sideboard Rod of Ruin.
In a pinch, Khaos' beard can help turn this around.
I rarely skip a Khaospawn wall of text because I know there is always piss at the end of the rainbow.

Purp
Tire Aficionado

Postby Purp » Sun Jan 12, 2014 7:02 am

I've decided to play PyroDragons in SCG Open in Orlando this weekend. I only live about 2 hours away from Orlando, but my usual weekend plans have kept me away from large tournaments in my area.

I switched to the deck in early November, disappointed with my FNM results running GW Aggro; basically following MDU over. I have 2 months of unprecedented success locally with the deck, top 8ing every single tournament I played with it except 2; (they were an SCG IQ in which I found myself in a huge point tie for the last few single digit spots, but was 12th based on tie breakers, the other was last weeks FNM, in which I had a very disappointing 2-3 record, losing to Esper Midrange, GR Monsters, and American Control.)

My list is the same as purp's old deck. http://sales.starcitygames.com//deckdat ... ckID=60930 Only 1 land is different; I play the extra Mutavault.

My confidence in the deck has been shaken since it's poor performance at the first FNM of the year; I know most of you have moved more towards the Big Boros type decks. However, there is no way I can learn a new deck in a week, (or just days at this point) so I'll just have to do as well as I can with this. I still believe the deck is very strong, even vs wide open meta.

Some questions for players more experienced at large paper tournaments:
When I play paper magic, I usually just use a plastic life counter to keep track of my life and I use a d6 and a d10 to keep track of my opponent's life. Would this be okay at a large event?
I also use fire pokemon cards in different color sleeves to represent my Young Pyromancer tokens and I have a sleeved fire energy card that separates my
main deck and my sideboard. Is this okay?
Should I buy new deck sleeves? My current ones are not bad, but not super new either.
Any general advice?

Pretty sure it's this guy

yurp yurp

Khaospawn

Postby Khaospawn » Sun Jan 12, 2014 7:07 am

It's possible. But the name James Kerr sounds very familiar to me, and if this is him then I'm pretty sure he knows how to play in a competitive REL event.

I'd like to see the guy take Orlando down wit the deck. I really do. I just know I'll be more than miffed if credit isn't given where it's due.
I rarely skip a Khaospawn wall of text because I know there is always piss at the end of the rainbow.

Guttler
Newcomer

Postby Guttler » Sun Jan 12, 2014 7:15 am

It is me.

I have some bad news for you guys, but I wont be able to bring home the trophy. I had a prior commitment on Sunday morning and even before I went to the tournament I knew that if by destiny or crazy luck that I made top 4, that I'd have to drop and take 3rd place prize because I can't come back for the semi's and finals on Sunday. I ended up doing just that. I'm still really happy I went and really glad that the deck did as well as it did. It's kind of a shame Mike Reilly lost in top 8, he's a really nice guy and I'd of liked to give him a bye into the finals.
Last edited by Guttler on Sun Jan 12, 2014 7:39 am, edited 1 time in total.

zemanjaski
Tire Aficionado

Postby zemanjaski » Sun Jan 12, 2014 7:18 am

Well that was easy.
1 - Drunk, surly zem
2 - Nice, modest zem
3 - Bragpost zem
4 - Confident and funny zem
5 - Condescending jerk zem
6 - Self-aware zem
Everyone's a winner, we're making our fame,
Bona fide hustler making my name

Khaospawn

Postby Khaospawn » Sun Jan 12, 2014 7:19 am

It is me.
For realz?

Alex
Not Even MAD

Postby Alex » Sun Jan 12, 2014 7:29 am

It is me.
If you do end up writing about the deck on another site, we'd appreciate it if you would credit it appropriately, preferably with a link to this site. :)

Helios
Tire Aficionado

Postby Helios » Sun Jan 12, 2014 7:32 am

Well shit, good work James! Glad to see you doing so well, get a good night's sleep, and we'll be routing for you tomorrow! :jam:

Guttler
Newcomer

Postby Guttler » Sun Jan 12, 2014 7:59 am

If you do end up writing about the deck on another site, we'd appreciate it if you would credit it appropriately, preferably with a link to this site. :)
Will do! I've always used the deck designer box on normal deck registration sheets to credit James 'Zemanjaski" Fazzolari, magicdownunder, and Collin "purp" Schwartz on the regular WOTC deck sheets. (And by always I mean in the only other competitive REL event I've played in years, which was a IQ in Tampa.) SCG doesn't have
a deck designer box on their sheet though.

I really view the work that you all do here as say something like building a ocean liner, Z is the architect with all the theory who lays down the plans, MDU is the foreman who really builds the ship and gets it's engine humming, and then there are the pilots, like purp, who take it out to sea and ride it into the waves.

@Khaos: if my name sounds familiar to you, it may be, I'd been playing magic in Tampa Bay for about 14 years now, which is a long time, but also I'm pretty much an FNM/prerelease/commander player. I think the last time I went to a competitive REL event before this winter, was an extended PTQ back when Invasion was still legal in extended. I know I ask dumb questions, but I do get great answers; like opt for Gatorade instead of water, that was a fantastic suggestion; also bringing a note pad was a great idea.

I'm not really the best note taker in the world of magic, but I still have my score pad from the day and I'll try and write up
my recollections of the matches here.

Sorry I can't bring home the cup for you guys.
Let's hope he gives credit tomorrow if he wins it. Seriously. That list is straight up taken from here, but his teammates tried to tell me it was a completely original design by him, made just the other day. Seriously. Nobody just comes up with Pyrewild, 3/1 split on Shock and Flames, sideboard Fanatics, and sideboard Rod of Ruin.
I don't know who said they were my teammate, not really on a team; other then team Red, which is the best team ever. I've also been playing this deck for over 2 months with no changes, so it's not new by any means. I'd even argue that mine and purps list is quite outdated at this point.
Last edited by Guttler on Sun Jan 12, 2014 8:07 am, edited 2 times in total.

Googims
Newcomer

Postby Googims » Sun Jan 12, 2014 8:05 am

@Helios
I think he wrote that he won't be able to attend day 2 :(

@Guttler
grats on doing so well! if only you had time to play the last couple of matches tomorrow morning!
Last edited by Googims on Sun Jan 12, 2014 8:16 am, edited 1 time in total.

Guttler
Newcomer

Postby Guttler » Sun Jan 12, 2014 8:08 am

@Helios
I think he wrote that he won't be able to attend day 2 :(
Yeah, I'm sad about it to. :(

RaidaTheBlade
Tire Aficionado

Postby RaidaTheBlade » Sun Jan 12, 2014 8:13 am

@Guttler, congrats on awesome performance!

Also, kinda conflicted on you dropping... I'd love to see a redbro take the trophy, but the damnedest thing is that the guy you'd have faced, Tyler Wilkerson, is actually a guy from my lgs. He's pretty cool, even if he is playing u-devo.
I, for one, would like to welcome our new firebreathing narwhal overlords.

Alex
Not Even MAD

Postby Alex » Sun Jan 12, 2014 8:15 am

@Guttler, congrats on awesome performance!

Also, kinda conflicted on you dropping... I'd love to see a redbro take the trophy, but the damnedest thing is that the guy you'd have faced, Tyler Wilkerson, is actually a guy from my lgs. He's pretty cool, even if he is playing u-devo.
Let's be honest, he probably isn't that cool. :sherlock:

Return to “Archives”