[Primer] Boros Burn

Threads from Standard formats since passed.

Moderators: Kaitscralt, zemanjaski, Christen

Guttler
Newcomer
(View: POSTS_VIEWTOPIC /POSTS_VIEWTOPIC_INTO)

Postby Guttler » Fri Apr 04, 2014 4:34 pm

Okay, still working on the complete sideboard plan for RWb burn. Culled some advice together and it now looks a lot better.

-1 Blood Crypt, +1 Boros Guildgate should help the list, white screw will lose you so many games.

Esper and UW/x Control:
-2 Chains, -1 Shock, -3 Seering Blood
+4 Firedrinker Satyr, +2 Chandra (Bring in W/T if you see BlOb, cut another Shock.)

Mono Black Devotion and Bw Midrange:
-3 Shock, -3 Seering Blood
+2 Chains, +2 Assemble, +2 Chandra

Mono Blue Devotion and U/w Devotion:
-4 Toil//Trouble, -4 Skullcrack
+4 Satyr Firedancer, +2 Chains, +2 Chandra

Esper Midrange:
-4 Toil//Trouble, -4 Skullcrack
+4 Satyr Firedancer +2 Chandra, +2 Chains

G/R Monsters:
-3 Toil//Trouble
+2 Chains, +1 W/T

Burn Mirror:
-4 Toil//Trouble, -1 Seering Blood
+2 Chandra, +1 Chains, +2 Assemble
I know it's a few pages late, but here is what I
learned about going to large magic tournaments:

1. Bring drinks and food. For food, it should absolutely be something that you want to eat. I wouldn't focus on it being a special healthy snack, as long as it's something you're going to want to munch on during the day. For drinks, I prefer to drink Gatorade or something that replenishes electrolytes, you're going to be their for hours and hours anyway and you'll likely have traveled to be there so you want to refuel your body. A buddy from my LGS drinks coconut milk with him for the same reason. (In WW2, they used to give Soldiers transfusions of coconut milk.)

2. Keep track of life totals on paper and verbally announce all life total changes. The last thing you want is for you to think they are at 3 and dead to your bolt, but they forgot to write down their shock from an untapped land and are at 5.

3. Don't bring anything that you'd be sad if it got stolen. I leave my trade binder and EDH decks at home for all large tournaments. Also, wrap
your bags strap around your leg, chair leg, or both during each round. Be sure to keep your bag zipped closed, so that someone can't just reach in and grab a deck box.

4. My normal checklist of things to bring:
-Deck. (Most important thing, Can't play any magic without it.)
-Printed out decklist that has been double and triple checked. During deck registration, I just copy my list onto their paper instead of laying my deck out by hand.
-Pens and paper. Always bring extra pens, you may lose one or someone takes it to sign their match slip and steals it.
-DCI Card.
-Dice. I have a small clear plastic box that holds my dice, but I also put the dice box into another box so that if the lid comes off the dice box they wont spill in my bag.
-Extra card sleeves. The last thing you want is a broken sleeve that you can't fix.

5. Sideboard notes are free. Use them if you want.

6. Don't put any cards that aren't in your deck in your deckbox. (Except official or non-MTG token cards.) I used to use a
non-standard Foil MTG card in a different color sleeve as a separator, now I used a sleeved fire energy from the Pokemon TCG to not cause any confusion.

7. If anything seems sketchy or you don't understand something; call a Judge. They'll resolve the issue. Never trust your opponent on a rules question, they have their best interest in mind and not yours. Also, ask the Judge for time back on the slip after their judge call. Some calls can be complicated and take several minutes and while judges are supposed to give you time back, they sometimes forget to do so.

8. Always double, triple, quadruple check the match results slip before you sign it. The last thing you want is to win and then find out that the slip was filled out wrong so that you lost the match.

9. Play the whole tournament. Even if you're dead with a 1-4-2 record, I'd still play out the rest of the rounds. Big tournaments require a lot of decisions to be made over many hours, people start to get sloppy in the later rounds and that
is where mistakes will really cost you. You need to be mentally tough for a whole day of games, the best way to get that way is just to play in lots of large events; you could also consider staging mock tournaments with an IRL playgroup that goes on for 10 or more rounds. (I also find playing in the dead bracket to be enjoyable; you're playing against people who love the game and love to play. The X-2 sharks left long ago and your opponent wont be salty after you beat them.)

10. If you play any formats besides standard, I'd recommend checking out one of the vendors bargain boxes. These usually have very worn cards, but at rock bottom prices. I can't tell you how much EDH and casual gold I've dug out of these. It's a good way to pass the time between rounds as well.

11. Use the restroom whenever you have a chance to even if you don't have to go that badly. Sometimes multiple rounds in a row go long and you wont have a good opportunity to go. I also don't want to be in a rush in these situations,
so I'd hate to accidentally get a game loss because I was in the restroom when the new round started.
Last edited by Guttler on Fri Apr 04, 2014 5:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.

rage_jl
Newcomer

Postby rage_jl » Fri Apr 04, 2014 5:02 pm

Looks like I finalized my list for GP Phoenix. Heading out tomorrow morning.

[deck]4 Chandra's Phoenix
4 Young Pyromancer

3 Chained to the Rocks

4 Boros Charm
4 Lightning Strike
4 Magma Jet
3 Searing Blood
3 Shock
4 Skullcrack
4 Warleader's Helix

1 Blood Crypt
2 Boros Guildgate
7 Mountain
3 Mutavault
4 Sacred Foundry
1 Temple of Malice
1 Temple of Silence
4 Temple of Triumph

Sideboard
2 Assemble the Legion
2 Blind Obedience
1 Chandra, Pyromaster
1 Chained to the Rocks
1 Glare of Heresy
2 Mizzium Mortars
2 Spark Trooper
3 Toil/Trouble
1 Wear/Tear[/deck]

Full Report to be posted either Monday or Tuesday when I am back home.
I'm playing the same main deck at a SCG Super IQ this weekend. I'll probably
change the SB a bit (since I heard the top players in the area are heavy on B/Bw and there is a little esper and GR)
3 Assemble
3 Mortars
3 Toil // Trouble
1 Chandra
1 CTTR
2 Glare or Wear // Tear or 1 and 1
2 BO or Spark Trooper or extra chandra and toil

I'm bringing a lot of extra cards for the sideboard and I know some of the older players in the area from over a decade ago and should be able to gain some gouge after arriving. I will also heavily contemplate the 1 or 2 blood crypts and or 2 malice 2 silence option. The 1 malice 1 silence has been working great online and I haven't had issues. If I go to 4 toil in SB then I will up the B count. Fated Conflagaration is still an option if I find out some the players I expect at the top are playing Ghost Council as their out to aggro instead of blood baron. Input, thoughts, advice, are welcome.

rage_jl
Newcomer

Postby rage_jl » Fri Apr 04, 2014 5:08 pm

I'll start playing the RWb Toil // Trouble main next week online. I was focused on finalizing for this paper event this week. I think I'll like the way when the YP/ AZ version switches to control footing and we simply outplay them by bidding our time and swing with a Phoenix when possible, 2 mana kill a creature reminds me of UU counterspell of yesteryear and drawing extra with toil more regularly sounds fun.

Elricity
Tire Aficionado

Postby Elricity » Fri Apr 04, 2014 8:27 pm

I think my issue with the RWb version is that losing the die roll hurts it SO MUCH more than the RW version with Young Pyromancer, since the deck literally cannot play defense at all ~ everything has to go to the dome because you have so few sources of repetitive damage.

Hmmmmmmmmmmm....maybe I should just play what I know.
I can also tell you from experience with the RWb version (seriously, played it for 3 months at least) that siding in your one drops versus control will do very little as they're going to eat removal very quickly and then you have nothing left to back it up.

I was even using cacklers instead of satyrs back then to try to blank removal and over the course of a whole GP, the full playset never did more than 4 damage in a
game. I wasn't running mutavaults though so maybe that has something to do with it.

montu

Ruric

Postby montu » Fri Apr 04, 2014 8:30 pm

I'm seeing Ruric Thar, the Unbowed in some SB plans for GR Monsters.

Ugh . . . it would be ugly. This is pushing me more towards my consideration of Anger of the Gods. (i.e., to kill Caryatids and Mystics to slow their mana base).

Also . . . anyone ever experienced Nightveil Specter boarded in from an Esper Control player? Harry Corvese is advocating that.

Purp
Tire Aficionado

Postby Purp » Fri Apr 04, 2014 8:32 pm

It's very hard against esper when they are on NVS... Blowing a LS on it is no value. It allows them to protect jace and put us on a clock. -8 for jace is much easier when they are playing NVS. -8 into Archangel into WLH is impossible to come back from.

yurp yurp

montu

Postby montu » Fri Apr 04, 2014 8:36 pm

I can also tell you from experience with the RWb version (seriously, played it for 3 months at least) that siding in your one drops versus control will do very little as they're going to eat removal very quickly and then you have nothing left to back it up.
It was pretty frustrating today against UW Control to go T1, Firedrinker. Opp: Azorius Charm. T2, Firedrinker. Opp: Azorius Charm. T3: Firedrinker.

rage_jl
Newcomer

Postby rage_jl » Fri Apr 04, 2014 8:43 pm

Also . . . anyone ever experienced Nightveil Specter boarded in from an Esper Control player? Harry Corvese is advocating that.
I played against it last night, it was only a pain as they dropped two and then a fiendslayer and when the second was able to hit me it grabbed a CTTR off the top (it was game two and I had kept 2 in expecting Angel, Fiendslayer, something). It's good for them against us and works great against black especially if it sucks up a downfall for them. It's hard as the last thing you want to do is bring in mortars or CTTR against them.

montu

Thanks for the Tournament Tips

Postby montu » Fri Apr 04, 2014 9:10 pm

Seriously epic recommendations. Things I would have never thought of! Thanks . . . definitely helped my peace of mind!

LaZerBurn
Tire Aficionado

Postby LaZerBurn » Fri Apr 04, 2014 9:17 pm

Ugh . . . it would be ugly. This is pushing me more towards my consideration of Anger of the Gods. (i.e., to kill Caryatids and Mystics to slow their mana base).

Ruric Thar has been in GR SB's for ages - Z faced it in his first set of CFB vids http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DhZ2lVQZ ... re&index=6

Yes I've faced NVS from Esper, I killed it with Lightning
Strike :)
Last edited by LaZerBurn on Fri Apr 04, 2014 9:20 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Thanks to NerdBoyWonder for the awesome sig :)

Khaospawn
Khaospawn's beautiful and unique title

Postby Khaospawn » Fri Apr 04, 2014 9:18 pm

Disregard Nightveil Specter. Turn dudes sideways and point burn at the face.

Next problem?
In a pinch, Khaos' beard can help turn this around.
I rarely skip a Khaospawn wall of text because I know there is always piss at the end of the rainbow.

montu

Postby montu » Fri Apr 04, 2014 9:18 pm

Ruric Thar has been in GR Sb's for ages - Z faced it in his first set of CFB vids http://www.youtube.com/ watchv=DhZ2lVQZ ... re&index=6

Yes I've faced NVS from Esper, i killed it with Lightning Strike :)
LOL well . . . now that I'm going "big time" I'm starting to pay attention more.

Khaospawn

Postby Khaospawn » Fri Apr 04, 2014 9:26 pm

I've decided to not play cards tonight in favor of jamming on my axe and lifting weights. If i were to change my mind and go to FNM, I'd play this:

[deck]
Creatures 8
4 Young Pyromancer
4 Chandra's Phoenix

Spells 29
3 Chained to the Rocks
3 Shock
3 Searing Blood
4 Magma Jet
4 Lightning Strike
4 Skullcrack
4 Boros Charm
3 Warleader's Helix
1 Chandra, Pyromaster

Land 23
3 Mutavault
2 Temple of Malice
2 Boros Guildgate
4 Temple of Triumph
4 Sacred Foundry
8 Mountain

Sideboard 15
1 Spark Trooper
1 Bling Obedience
1 Mizzium Mortars
1 Warleader's Helix
1 Assemble the Legion
1 Chained to the Rocks
3 Satyr Firedancer
4 Firedrinker Satyr
2 Toil // Trouble[/deck]

With a maindeck like that, who the fuck needs to even bother sideboarding? Still, all of my favorite treats are in the bottom 15. :D
I rarely skip a Khaospawn wall of text because I know there is always piss at the end of the rainbow.

Khaospawn

Postby Khaospawn » Fri Apr 04, 2014 9:29 pm

Oh, and Happy Birthday, montu. Ya crazy rollercoaster addict. :)

Hmm...makes sense that you enjoy playing Burn if you live for the rush of going upside down at breakneck speeds.

montu

Postby montu » Fri Apr 04, 2014 9:34 pm

Oh, and Happy Birthday, montu. Ya crazy rollercoaster addict. :)

Hmm...makes sense that you enjoy playing Burn if you live for the rush of going upside down at breakneck speeds.
Thanks! (Incidentally, I didn't realize Zem and I have the same birthday until today.)
The other thing I like about burn . . . you (almost) never have to worry about LONG games. Go BIG or GO HOME baby! :jam:

Khaospawn

Postby Khaospawn » Fri Apr 04, 2014 9:39 pm

I wish most of my games were short. Lately, I've been grinding them out when I play, which is weird for a Burn deck. Hence my preference with the maindeck Chandra.

edit: Though I usually plow right through Mono Black. It may be tier 1, but there's so many bad players that end up piloting it.

montu

Postby montu » Fri Apr 04, 2014 9:44 pm

I wish most of my games were short. Lately, I've been grinding them out when I play, which is weird for a Burn deck. Hence my preference with the maindeck Chandra.
Having Toil MD has made a big difference for me finishing games.

Khaospawn

Postby Khaospawn » Fri Apr 04, 2014 9:47 pm

I haven't actually had a chance to cast Toil yet. It's as elusive to me as the Viashino Firstblades were when they were in the board. Out of about 30 matches, I only ever cast a Firstblade once.

dauntless268

Postby dauntless268 » Fri Apr 04, 2014 11:44 pm

Had a very nice night, winning a DE 4-0 without a single game loss. Matches were Esper Control, Jund Monsters, Burn and Reanimator

[deck]
Creatures 10
3 Ash Zealot
3 Young Pyromancer
4 Chandra's Phoenix

Spells 27
3 Chained to the Rocks
4 Shock
4 Magma Jet
4 Lightning Strike
4 Skullcrack
4 Boros Charm
4 Warleader's Helix

Land 23
3 Mutavault
3 Boros Guildgate
4 Temple of Triumph
4 Sacred Foundry
9 Mountain

Sideboard 15
2 Mizzium Mortars
2 Chandra, Pyromaster
2 Assemble the Legion
1 Chained to the Rocks
1 Fated Conflagration
3 Peak Eruption
1 Young Pyromancer
2 Glare of Heresy
1 Mutavault
[/deck]

Ash played out nicely, but going forward I want to try and see if I can replace him with Chandra, Pyromaster in the MD like MDU has done
MTGO handle: Clemens268

Elricity
Tire Aficionado

Postby Elricity » Sat Apr 05, 2014 12:07 am

Good lord, I hope Fall of the Gavel doesn't become a thing.
You're intimidated by a 5 mana counterspell? Ok.

TBuzzsaw
Tire Aficionado

Postby TBuzzsaw » Sat Apr 05, 2014 12:26 am

So my friend is running this deck and has 3 Reckoners in the sideboard since his meta is rampant with GR Monsters, which according to him, is practically 70% of his store. He asked me if it's right to even side those now considering no one is siding Reckoners in any burn list, and if GR has such a huge number, that maybe it should be in the mainboard on place of AZ (he also has 3 Pyromancers).

I wasn't sure how to answer this one for him considering I've been out of the loop on burn for a while. I figured if GR Monsters is still an iffy matchup and no one is siding Reckoner, maybe it's not necessary? On the other hand, they don't have removal for him and becomes a huge brick wall.

Lightning_Dolt
Tire Aficionado

Postby Lightning_Dolt » Sat Apr 05, 2014 3:28 am

Is anyone testing revoke existence?

zemanjaski
Tire Aficionado

Postby zemanjaski » Sat Apr 05, 2014 3:37 am

It's worse than Wear // Tear or Glare of Heresy.
1 - Drunk, surly zem
2 - Nice, modest zem
3 - Bragpost zem
4 - Confident and funny zem
5 - Condescending jerk zem
6 - Self-aware zem
Everyone's a winner, we're making our fame,
Bona fide hustler making my name

Nezeru
Newcomer

Postby Nezeru » Sat Apr 05, 2014 4:31 am

I played the low-creature version at FNM. Long story short, I didn't do well, 2-2 with 2-0 win vs Esper Control and Dimir Mill, 1-2 losses to two Bw Devotion decks. One of them had about a million maindeck lifegain (4 Gray Merchant, 3 BBoV, 2 Obzedat, 2 Whip, 4 Devour Flesh) and I lost game 3 when I had a lethal Toil//Trouble set up when he Devour Fleshed himself sacrificing DD, then cast another one next turn. The first game, I lost because I kept scryland, double jet, shock, boros charm, double skullcrack and never saw my second land.
The second match against Bw Devotion is a more reasonable one with 4 Gray Merchant and 3 BBoV for maindeck lifegain. I lost another game where I kept one scryland on the draw with magma jets.

I feel like if I want to keep one landers with scry I should go up to 24 lands. I also ran 5 4-drops (1 Chandra 4 Helix).

In the future, I will continue with YP$.

rage_jl
Newcomer

Postby rage_jl » Sat Apr 05, 2014 4:42 am

If you wear toe socks and keep a revised mountain folded in half in your left back pocket you'll always draw two lands in your opening hand and a third by turn 3. It's science.

zemanjaski
Tire Aficionado

Postby zemanjaski » Sat Apr 05, 2014 5:56 am

Have not had time to test, registered this for the 1K:

[deck]
Creatures
4 Chandra's Phoenix
4 Young Pyromancer

Enchantments
3 Chained to the Rocks

Instants
4 Boros Charm
4 Lightning Strike
4 Magma Jet
3 Searing Blood
3 Shock
4 Skullcrack
4 Warleader's Helix

Lands
2 Blood Crypt
2 Boros Guildgate
6 Mountain
3 Mutavault
4 Sacred Foundry
1 Temple of Malice
1 Temple of Silence
4 Temple of Triumph

Sideboard
2 Assemble the Legion
1 Chained to the Rocks
2 Chandra, Pyromaster
4 Mizzium Mortars
1 Mutavault
4 Toil // Trouble
1 Wear // Tear
[/deck]
1 - Drunk, surly zem
2 - Nice, modest zem
3 - Bragpost zem
6 - Self-aware zem

magicdownunder
Tire Aficionado

Postby magicdownunder » Sat Apr 05, 2014 6:04 am

Solid list Z, I've also came to similar conclusions with T // T, W // T and MM.

I have two Temple of Silence and two Temple of Malice over Blood Crypt because without Ash or any one drops the citpt lands are almost a non-issue - I also believe life isn't a resource we can afford to waste in a Red world (thus its usually a citpt land as well).

Enjoy Pauper, Standard, Momir, Modern and Music? then visit my channel: Video Link

warwizard87

Postby warwizard87 » Sat Apr 05, 2014 6:12 am

[deck]
Creatures
4 Chandra's Phoenix
4 Young Pyromancer

Enchantments
3 Chained to the Rocks

Instants
4 Boros Charm
4 Lightning Strike
4 Magma Jet
3 Searing Blood
3 Shock
4 Skullcrack
4 Warleader's Helix

Lands
2 Blood Crypt
2 Boros Guildgate
6 Mountain
3 Mutavault
4 Sacred Foundry
1 Temple of Malice
1 Temple of Silence
4 Temple of Triumph

Sideboard
2 Assemble the Legion
1 Chained to the Rocks
2 Chandra, Pyromaster
4 Mizzium Mortars
1 Mutavault
4 Toil // Trouble
1 Wear // Tear
[/deck]
okay I am in absolute love with this list....
..though seems weak to mirror? am I off on that?
I swear to God, every thread we make falls victim to Godwin's law except instead of Hitler it's redthirst's piece.

zemanjaski
Tire Aficionado

Postby zemanjaski » Sat Apr 05, 2014 6:18 am

I will not face any mirrors at the 1K. I have stated this so many times.
1 - Drunk, surly zem
2 - Nice, modest zem
3 - Bragpost zem
6 - Self-aware zem

warwizard87

Postby warwizard87 » Sat Apr 05, 2014 6:19 am

I will not face any mirrors at the 1K. I have stated this so many times.
everytime I say something like that I always face it 3 times =[
I swear to God, every thread we make falls victim to Godwin's law except instead of Hitler it's redthirst's piece.

Aodh
Tire Aficionado

Postby Aodh » Sat Apr 05, 2014 6:20 am

[deck]
Creatures
4 Chandra's Phoenix
4 Young Pyromancer

Enchantments
3 Chained to the Rocks

Instants
4 Boros Charm
4 Lightning Strike
4 Magma Jet
3 Searing Blood
3 Shock
4 Skullcrack
4 Warleader's Helix

Lands
2 Blood Crypt
2 Boros Guildgate
6 Mountain
3 Mutavault
4 Sacred Foundry
1 Temple of Malice
1 Temple of Silence
4 Temple of Triumph

Sideboard
2 Assemble the Legion
1 Chained to the Rocks
2 Chandra, Pyromaster
4 Mizzium Mortars
1 Mutavault
4 Toil // Trouble
1 Wear // Tear
[/deck]
T//T better than FDS against control?
MM
better than SFD against monsters and MUD? I understand that it actually interacts on turn 2, but it only kills half the creatures in monsters, whereas SFD lets you kill everything (albeit with a few spells sometimes, but always going to the dome). T//T come in against the mirror, or was it just okay against the mirror when in the main deck?

TBuzzsaw
Tire Aficionado

Postby TBuzzsaw » Sat Apr 05, 2014 9:52 am

Got 7th place tonight going 4-2. I basically ran NBW's list just with two Glares in the sideboard over the single Wear/Tear. I beat Rakdos aggro, Mono Black aggro, Esper Control, and GW aggro. Lost to GR Monsters and another Rakdos aggro. Monsters got god hand both games and Rakdos won when I flooded out badly.

Not surprisingly nearly half the field were Esper/control, but I only played against one of them.

Toddington

Postby Toddington » Sat Apr 05, 2014 10:39 am

The deck I played at FNM
[deck]
Planeswalker (1)
1x Chandra, Pyromaster

Instant (24)
4x Boros Charm
4x Lightning Strike
4x Magma Jet
4x Shock
4x Skullcrack
4x Warleader's Helix

Enchantment (3)
3x Chained to the Rocks

Creature (8)
4x Chandra's Phoenix
4x Young Pyromancer

Land (24)
3x Boros Guildgate
8x Mountain
3x Mutavault
4x Sacred Foundry
1x Temple of Malice
1x Temple of Silence
4x Temple of Triumph

Sideboard (15)
2x Assemble the Legion
1x Blind Obedience
1x Chained to the Rocks
1x Fated Conflagration
1x Hammer of Purphoros
2x Mizzium Mortars
2x Peak Eruption
1x Spark Trooper
3x Toil / Trouble
1x Wear / Tear
[/deck]
I really didn't have a good run... I found it really awkward
having Boros Charm and Skullcrack in hand, and not being in a position to race. The 6 Scry lands were amazing, but I felt the mana base was really slow due to CIPT lands. Having access to 4 Mutavault seems really strong, even if it is after board. Chandra is where I want to be against UW, if they don't have Elspeth or Detention Sphere you just win. Fated Conflagration is too slow, you are tapping out and not making them any deader. Maybe the scry helps, but I found myself wanting to cast it on their turn, to get the creature they bestow etc. 4 Shock was super good, mainly because of YP£.

Here's what I want to try now;

[deck]
Land (24)
3x Boros Guildgate
9x Mountain
3x Mutavault
1x Plains
4x Sacred Foundry
4x Temple of Triumph

Enchantment (2)
2x Chained to the Rocks

Instant (24)
4x Boros Charm
4x Lightning Strike
4x Magma Jet
4x Shock
4x Skullcrack
4x Warleader's Helix

Creature (10)
4x Chandra's Phoenix
2x
Spark Trooper
4x Young Pyromancer

Sideboard (15)
2x Assemble the Legion
2x Chandra, Pyromaster

2x Chained to the Rocks
2x Mizzium Mortars

4x Toil / Trouble

1x Blind Obedience
1x Rest in Peace
1x Wear / Tear
[/deck]

I'm using Spark Trooper as a crutch, so I'm better equipped to race. I figure no one is maining Blind Obedience, so he's fine in every G1 as long as I'm sensible. I want to maximize the untapped lands I'm playing, I really wanted to curve out more. 24 feels good for me, maybe I'm flooding more than I realize though. I found myself boarding out Skullcrack and Boros Charm, and I'm pretty sure this is over boarding. From now on I'll only side a playset of either out, and if I really have to take both out, I'll be putting both Assemble in. Maybe the Plains should be a Mutavault.

magicdownunder
Tire Aficionado

Postby magicdownunder » Sat Apr 05, 2014 10:54 am

Last Time
I 3-1 the daily event running:

[deck=MDU's Blind Zurm]Lands 23
6 Mountain
4 Sacred Foundry
4 Temple of Triumph
3 Mutavault
2 Boros Guildgate
2 Temple of Silence
2 Temple of Malice

Creatures 8
4 Young Pyromancer
4 Chandra's Phoenix

Others 5
1 Chandra, Pyromaster
1 Blind Obedience
3 Chained to the Rocks

Burns 24
3 Skullcrack
4 Boros Charm
4 Lightning Strike
4 Magma Jet
2 Searing Blood
4 Warleader's Helix
3 Shock

Sideboard 15
3 Mizzium Mortars
3 Toil/Trouble
1 Glare of Heresy
1 Wear/Tear
1 Chained to the Rocks
1 Skullcrack
2 Blind Obedience
3 Assemble the Legion[/deck]

I tried to gear the list to beat the top5 decks - Bx Devotion, Esper Control, Burn, Jund Monsters and Ux Devotion,
hence the 3x BO, 3x Assemble, 3x T//T and 3x MM.

I personally thinks it runs well, the only issue is that I'm having great trouble in dealing with control list what are geared to beat us (the version with 3-4 FSP) - I do have glare but I feel that its not enough.... heck even the Boros charm trick is countered by counters or Azorius Charm.
3-1 another DE, my only loss was due to my own stupidity in the mirror.

I added an extra Glare of Hersey (over W/T) to deal with Esper (which I fought in my finals) except he was on the BBV and Spector plan so they were kinda useless, I might run the 4th T//T since they're obv. stellar vs control.
I 3-0'ed an SE running:

[deck=MDU's Blind Zurm]Lands 23
6 Mountain
4 Sacred Foundry
4 Temple of Triumph
3 Mutavault
2 Boros Guildgate
2 Temple of Silence
2 Temple of Malice

Creatures 8
4 Young Pyromancer
4 Chandra's Phoenix

Others 5
1 Chandra, Pyromaster
1 Blind Obedience
Chained to the Rocks

Burns 24
3 Skullcrack
4 Boros Charm
4 Lightning Strike
4 Magma Jet
2 Searing Blood
4 Warleader's Helix
3 Shock

Sideboard 15
3 Mizzium Mortars
4 Toil/Trouble
1 Mutavault
1 Chained to the Rocks
1 Skullcrack
2 Blind Obedience
3 Assemble the Legion[/deck]

I decided I'm no longer going to care about Hexproof (assuming I win the first two games, Bx and Esper will wipe them anyways) so no more cute cards like W//T and Glare.

Deck Q & A:
Common question: MDU are you insane why are you running 10 citpt lands in an aggro deck?
Answer: We're not an aggro deck, we're a burn deck with no 1 drops or real two drops the citpt lands don't really hurt

Common question: Why Chandra, Pyromaster and Blind Obedience MD?
Answer: Both cards provide extra pressure on all MUs (grinding them down 1 extra life per turn adds up)

Sideboard choice:
nAll cards were selected to help take down the top5.

Assemble the Legion (Its a key card in beating Bx, I admit I maybe running 1 too many)

[card]Toil/Trouble[/card] (The primary win-con against control, after reading Z's post and adjusting my manabase - it has also become my sub-divination which is critical in picking up core cards in MUs like Ux Devotion where you really need to hit chains)

Blind Obedience (Anti-Burn, Anti-BW, Anti Monster, Anti-Whip card which is decent in pairs due too the 12 white sources)

Mizzium Mortars + Chained to the Rocks (anti-aggro/midrange/Bx cards - please don't bring all your mortars vs Bx (think about it before you jam them in))

Mutavault (only for the control MUs)

Skullcrack (this card may seem out-of-place in the SB, but I needed room for my other
cards MD I also dislike Skull vs Ux Devotion and Monsters)

EDIT: what would you add over the 3rd Assemble?
Last edited by magicdownunder on Sat Apr 05, 2014 11:31 am, edited 1 time in total.

Enjoy Pauper, Standard, Momir, Modern and Music? then visit my channel: Video Link

LaZerBurn
Tire Aficionado

Postby LaZerBurn » Sat Apr 05, 2014 11:19 am

Informative and well crafted post as ever MDU :) I really like the list and the clear and precise information on why you've made the choices that you have, thank you :)

I understand that running the second Temple Of Silence and Temple Of Malice over Blood Crypt gives you added scry but are you finding that 10 Mountains is enough for CttR? I'm assuming that with the added scry you're having no trouble finding one when you need it?

Would you consider running 2 BO or do you feel the 3rd is vital?

magicdownunder
Tire Aficionado

Postby magicdownunder » Sat Apr 05, 2014 11:38 am

Informative and well crafted post as ever MDU :) I really like the list and the clear and precise information on why you've made the choices that you have, thank you :)

I understand that running the second Temple Of Silence and Temple Of Malice over Blood Crypt gives you added scry but are you finding that 10 Mountains is enough for CttR? I'm assuming that with the added scry you're having no trouble finding one when you need it?
Hexproof runs 8 "mountains" and they have no issues with casting chains - they only have 12 "scry" while we're running 14
Would you consider running 2 BO or do you feel the 3rd is vital?
With BO, I'll argue that running 3 is vital because not hitting BO early (against burn or midrange) would usually mean your better of not hitting BO at all... (its ok hitting it late vs Whip or Ghost Dad .deck though).

BO is kinda like PE, if you don't see it within the first 4 turns it gets kinda bad...

LaZerBurn
Tire Aficionado

Postby LaZerBurn » Sat Apr 05, 2014 12:52 pm

Ok, sound logic and the practical experience you have from running 'the horrid deck' :P has me convinced about running the extra Temples :)

Your thinking on BO is solid too, I prefer PE - tempo and happy LD memories - but I do like the added flexibility BO offers against Ghost/Whip.dec and Monsters/Mid/Random Aggro. Your reasoning on running 3 is sound too. I'm torn between the BO and PE here! I've realised as I type that running 'only' 10 'Mountains' makes us less vulnerable to opposing PE though, which is nice :)

You mentioned bringing in T//T for the MonoU match up, which is interesting. Are you planning to write up your SB plans or will they be on the vids?

As far as
what to run over the 3rd Assemble how about a second Chandra? I can see a case for a singleton Wear//Tear but I don't think this is as exciting as the PyroMistress herself :D
Last edited by LaZerBurn on Sat Apr 05, 2014 8:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Kyarie
Newcomer

Postby Kyarie » Sat Apr 05, 2014 4:02 pm

Used NerdBoyWonder's list last night at FNM. Changed the Wear//Tear for a Mutavault in the sideboard.

Beat a WU aggro Azorius arrest deck homebrew, Junk list similar to the Duke's, and MonoBlack Aggro all 2-0. Lost 1-2 vs a UWb which was the undefeated winner last night.

I had problems vs the UWb in awkward hands and mulligans game 1 and 3. Game 2, he wasn't paying attention to Chandra and I got to use the ultimate for triple Warleader's Helix for the win. :o Awesome! :D

Great list NBW! Good luck to you and all playing in big events this weekend.

Deht
Newcomer

Postby Deht » Sat Apr 05, 2014 6:12 pm

Some hilarious dudes were at the local shop running Z's initial build that was on the Channel Fireball site (with old sideboards) and acting like they were the shit and talking about how they brewed the deck and got the right numbers for everything and this and that. I commented that it looked exactly like like Z's list from CFB and they both got really quiet and mumbled about "Well, we were inspired by some lists we saw online" -- turns out the only changes were one less Guildgate. People need to start giving credit where it is due!

Tyrael
Tire Aficionado

Postby Tyrael » Sat Apr 05, 2014 7:03 pm

I think pretty much every red deck that is being played right now is a variation on a zemanjaski brew except for maybe red devotion

Signature by NerdBoyWonder

Currently playing/testing:
:symub: :symw: Control :symub: :symw:

Return to “Archives”