[Primer] Devotion Red

Threads from Standard formats since passed.

Moderators: Kaitscralt, zemanjaski, Christen

Jasper
(View: POSTS_VIEWTOPIC /POSTS_VIEWTOPIC_INTO)

Postby Jasper » Sun Mar 16, 2014 2:51 am

Well the deck performed well today. Went 4-0-1, cut to Top 8. Lost in the first round of the finals, bleh.

Played 4 control decks and Mono Black. Lost in the first round of top 8 to Junk midrange. I had poor draws, and Abrupt Decay took a dump on me.

[deck]
Creatures 26
4x Ash Zealot
4x Burning-Tree Emissary
4x Frostburn Weird
4x Boros Reckoner
4x Fanatic of Mogis
2x Purphoros, God of the Forge
4x Stormbreath Dragon

Spells 5
2x Dreadbore
1x Mizzium Mortars
2x Rakdos's Return

Enchantment 2
2 Hammer of Purphoros

Best card in Standard 2
2 Chandra, Pyromaster

Lands 25
4 Nykthos, Shrine to Nyx
4 Blood Crypt
4 Temple of Malice
3 Rakdos Guildgate
10 Mountain

Sideboard 15
4x Skullcrack
2x Doom Blade
2x Dark Betrayal
2x Toil // Trouble
2x Dreadbore
1x Slaughter Games
1x Sire of Insanity
1x Fated Conflagration
[/deck]

Played against 4 different control decks. Sideboarding was
mostly the same each time:
+4 Skullcrack, +2 Toil // Trouble, +1 Slaughter Games, +1 Sire of Insanity, and against Walkers the +2 Dreadbore. The 4x Weird came out most of the time, the rest was situational.

Toil // Trouble is the fucking nuts against control. Esper player did a turn 3 Divination in game 2. I did turn 3 Burning-Tree Emissary into Trouble, for 7 damage. It was amazing every time I used it, and every time I had it in my hand. I only used the Toil side once, targeting myself, but the utility can't be ignored.

Plan for tomorrow is to +1-2 Slaughter Games into the side, +1 Rakdos's Return into the side, +1 Mogis, God of Slaughter into the side, +1-2 Toil // Trouble into the side, and remove the Sire, some number of Skullcracks, and maybe the Dark Betrayals. I'm contemplating if Underworld Connections has a place in the main or the sideboard as well, just not sure about the mana base. Another player who I respect suggested replacing the Doom Blades with 2 Hero's Downfalls, but I'm once
again, not sure about mana, and I don't own any HDF right now either. Fated Conflagration might be gone, or I may just add another and remove the Doom Blades, not quite sure.

Jasper

Postby Jasper » Fri Mar 21, 2014 12:45 am

Thoughts on playing Red Devotion, and splashing Blue? Gives access to [card]Turn // Burn[/card], which I think is pretty well positioned right now.

Edit:

http://magic.tcgplayer.com/db/deck.asp?deck_id=1191118

So a mono Red Devotion deck took 5th place in a TCG 5k. Lots of interesting choices here, most notably, running a glut of 4-drops with only 21 lands.

AcidPith
Newcomer

Postby AcidPith » Tue Mar 25, 2014 8:27 am

I love this deck. Is anyone still running it? Any news on it?

Jasper

Postby Jasper » Tue Mar 25, 2014 11:55 pm

As far as I know, the only one playing it besides me is Pedros. The deck got crushed at the $5k I went to last weekend, and I was basically ready to give up on it and move to RW Burn. I'm glad someone else finally posted in here, it gets lonely. :frown:

But then I had some thoughts, and here's the part where I'll post a deck list:

[deck=R U Devoted?]
Creatures 27
4 Ash Zealot
4 Frostburn Weird
4 Burning-Tree Emissary
4 Chandra's Phoenix
4 Boros Reckoner
4 Fanatic of Mogis
3 Stormbreath Dragon

Guys and Thighs 4
2 Ral Zarek
2 Chandra, Pyromaster

Spells 6
4 Turn // Burn
2 Magma Jet

Lands 23
4 Nykthos, Shrine to Nyx
4 Steam Vents
3 Hallowed Fountain
2 Izzet Guildgate
10 Mountain

Sideboard 15
2 Cyclonic Rift
4 Counterflux
3 Mizzium Mortars
1 Stormbreath Dragon
2 Anger of the Gods
2 Negate
Pithing Needle
[/deck]

Turn // Burn is in a great spot now. Don't get me wrong, I love Dreadbore, but when it misses, it REALLY misses. The sideboard is still a work in progress. Fated Conflagration looks good, and may replace 1-2 Mortars. I really do love Counterflux against control. Ral Zarek is the bomb with Nykthos.

AcidPith
Newcomer

Postby AcidPith » Wed Mar 26, 2014 4:45 am

Wow are we neighbors? I'm in Fort Worth! Yeah the blue splash in an interesting twist. When the u/r scry lands come out they will really boost this deck. I think the Ral Zarek combo with Nykthos could be a thing. However, I like Dreadbore for dealing with planeswalkers as well as creatures. This deck may miss that a little. Of course there is always the smash them in the face option for dealing with planeswalkers...

TBuzzsaw
Tire Aficionado

Postby TBuzzsaw » Wed Mar 26, 2014 4:50 am

I was actually thinking how a R/U Devotion would work out when the new set comes out. Something about Purphoros with MoW seem appealing to me. Big points if Frostborn Weird is on the board. The question is if MoW is a suitable replacement for Fanatic or can somehow work side by side with him.

Probably isn't the right color to splash but just a thought.

Jasper

Postby Jasper » Wed Mar 26, 2014 6:22 am

Wow are we neighbors? I'm in Fort Worth! Yeah the blue splash in an interesting twist. When the u/r scry lands come out they will really boost this deck. I think the Ral Zarek combo with Nykthos could be a thing. However, I like Dreadbore for dealing with planeswalkers as well as creatures. This deck may miss that a little. Of course there is always the smash them in the face option for dealing with planeswalkers...
My issue with Dreadbore is that it misses Blood Baron, Obzedat, Reaper of the Wilds, Master of Waves, and those silly Fiendslayer Paladins. I never actually had any issue with Planeswalkers while playing Devotion. Turn // Burn effectively stifles all of those except the
Reaper, at Instant speed. They attack with it, here, have this 0/1 Weird, oh and let me block that with literally anything. They're afraid to attack, so they sit back? Here, have this 0/1 Weird, and Chandra +1 on that little cutey.

Just had this happen, thought it was funny.

I was on the play, and it's now turn 4. I have Frostburn and Reckoner in play. I play Nykthos from my hand. Activate Nykthos, play Ral Zarek using my untapped Steam Vent. Ral +1, activate Nythkos again, get 6 back. Play Ash Zealot and Fanatic of Mogis for 8.

If Chandra is my waifu, then Ral is my husbando.

AcidPith
Newcomer

Postby AcidPith » Thu Mar 27, 2014 11:15 pm

Saw this deck online. Seems legit.

[DECK]
Creatures:
4x Ash Zealot
4x Boros Reckoner
4x Burning-Tree Emissary
4x Fanatic of Mogis
4x Frostburn Weird
2x Ruric Thar, the Unbowed
4x Stormbreath Dragon

Planeswalkers:
3x Domri Rade
2x Xenagos, The Reveler

Spells:
3x Mizzium Mortars

Land:
13x Mountain
3x Nykthos, Shrine to Nyx
4x Stomping Ground
4x Temple of Abandon

Sideboard:
3x Anger of the Gods
4x Mistcutter Hydra
1x Mizzium Mortars
2x Pithing Needle
2x Ratchet Bomb
3x Skullcrack
[/DECK]

The planeswalkers allow for some crazy acceleration. Domri Rade's fight mechanic can be used as the decks removal tool. R/g is very strong and this deck seems to pull some of those strengths into the red devotion shell.

Jasper

Postby Jasper » Thu Mar 27, 2014 11:55 pm

Looks good, but it looks even weaker to Aggro than the Rb list I used to play. I lost in the $5k to White Weenies, Rakdos Aggro, and RG Monsters.

What store do you play at AicdPith?

AcidPith
Newcomer

Postby AcidPith » Fri Mar 28, 2014 12:10 am

I usually play at Evolution Games, but I'm thinking of trying the new Collected off of Blue Bonnet Circle tomorrow night. I used to live in Arlington, but I didn't play while I lived there. Where do you play at Jasper?

TBuzzsaw
Tire Aficionado

Postby TBuzzsaw » Fri Mar 28, 2014 12:48 am

Saw this deck online. Seems legit.

[DECK]
Creatures:
4x Ash Zealot
4x Boros Reckoner
4x Burning-Tree Emissary
4x Fanatic of Mogis
4x Frostburn Weird
2x Ruric Thar, the Unbowed
4x Stormbreath Dragon

Planeswalkers:
3x Domri Rade
2x Xenagos, The Reveler

Spells:
3x Mizzium Mortars

Land:
13x Mountain
4x Stomping Ground
4x Temple of Abandon

Sideboard:
3x Anger of the Gods
4x Mistcutter Hydra
1x Mizzium Mortars
2x Pithing Needle
2x Ratchet Bomb
3x Skullcrack
[/DECK]

The planeswalkers allow for some crazy acceleration. Domri Rade's fight mechanic can be used as the decks removal tool. R/g is very strong and this deck seems to pull some of those
strengths into the red devotion shell.
I played a Naya version of this list pre-BotG and I really liked the Green inclusion against control, which R/x Devotion has problems against. If your meta is more control than aggro/GR, this is what I would go with. However, the sideboard sucks in this list and I would include Destructive Revelry/Unravel the Aether.

Jasper

Postby Jasper » Fri Mar 28, 2014 1:22 am

First off, my Red Devo lists never had any issues with control. The issues came from GR Monsters. Even Mono black was an okay matchup. I don't know who was having any issues with Control, but you had to have been doing something wrong.

I usually play at Evolution Games, but I'm thinking of trying the new Collected off of Blue Bonnet Circle tomorrow night. I used to live in Arlington, but I didn't play while I lived there. Where do you play at Jasper?

I usually play at Wild West Comics in Arlington. I've drafted at Evo Games before though. Tomorrow night I'll be playing at Silver Jem Games in Joshua. I'm planning on going to the $5k in Waco on Saturday.

I actually live in Cleburne, but most of my time playing is spent in Arlington
and DFW.

The testing continues:

[deck=3/27/14]
Creatures 27
4 Ash Zealot
4 Frostburn Weird
4 Burning-Tree Emissary
4 Chandra's Phoenix
4 Boros Reckoner
4 Fanatic of Mogis
3 Stormbreath Dragon

Guys and Thighs 4
2 Ral Zarek
2 Chandra, Pyromaster

Spells 6
1 Turn // Burn
2 Magma Jet
3 Izzet Charm

Lands 23
4 Nykthos, Shrine to Nyx
4 Steam Vents
3 Hallowed Fountain
2 Izzet Guildgate
10 Mountain

Sideboard 15
2 Cyclonic Rift
2 Turn // Burn
1 Mizzium Mortars
2 Anger of the Gods
3 Negate
4 Shock
1 Pithing Needle
[/deck]

Changes were made to further improve the matchup against Aggro. Izzet Charm has actually been doing really good in testing.

TBuzzsaw
Tire Aficionado

Postby TBuzzsaw » Fri Mar 28, 2014 7:15 am

I wouldn't say it has a bad match up, I just think it's the worst pre-board match up.

Jasper, why no hammers?

LP, of the Fires
Tire Aficionado

Postby LP, of the Fires » Fri Mar 28, 2014 7:59 am

UW control was a dicey matchup, Esper was actively very good.

Your worst matchups where any turn 2 blind obedience affect, mono-red, orzhov control in that order.

Everything else at least in my experience was even to favorable. The only matches I lost in tourney where vs. BW, MBC, orzhov humans, mono-red, and the mirror spread across something like 30+rounds of tournaments.
You gotta understand, I love the beatdown. I really do. I always have.

Beatdown is hard, though.

Patrick chapin

TBuzzsaw
Tire Aficionado

Postby TBuzzsaw » Fri Mar 28, 2014 8:12 am

Honestly I don't like the control match up post board either. When I played against them in my meta they all sideboarded Fiendslayer and Blind Obedience. The Boros Charms and Assembles weren't going to help if they go turn two BO into turn three Fiendslayer. It was one of the reasons why I went the green route when I played this deck. It's really a meta call.

I'll agree the traditional red aggro is tough. In RW all the removals are at sorcery speed. I never got to play against BW since it was fairly unpopular at the time.

Jasper

Postby Jasper » Fri Mar 28, 2014 8:21 am

I wouldn't say it has a bad match up, I just think it's the worst pre-board match up.

Jasper, why no hammers?
I don't find Hammer to be necessary when I have Ash Zealot, Chandra's Phoenix, and Stormbreath Dragon. I also don't like running the Hammer without Purphoros, and I'm not the biggest fan of Purphoros right now. It's mainly just a matter of, do I want the Phoenixes, or do I want 2 Purph and 2 Hammers? I find the birds to be more reliable.

Jasper

Postby Jasper » Sat Mar 29, 2014 6:44 am

Undefeated in FNM tonight, beating 1 UW Control, 2 Espers, and a Mono Black.

Let's just say that they never expect the Negate in game 2. Oh you have 3 mana up? I'll Fanatic of Mogis, and Negate that Dissolve. Jace? Negate. Late game Blind Obediance? Negate.

I'm feeling much better about the blue splash right now than I did about the black splash. Hopefully I can repeat the success tomorrow morning at the $5k! ;-)

AcidPith
Newcomer

Postby AcidPith » Sat Mar 29, 2014 7:40 am

Good luck! I went 3-1 to place 6th at my FNM with my only loss being to MBC. Here is the list I ran:

[DECK]
Creatures:
4x Ash Zealot
4x Boros Reckoner
4x Burning-Tree Emissary
4x Fanatic of Mogis
4x Frostburn Weird
4x Stormbreath Dragon

Planeswalkers:
2x Chandra, Pyromaster

Spells:
2x Dreadbore
2x Hammer of Purphoros
2x Mizzium Mortars
2x Rakdos's Return

Land:
12x Mountain
1x Swamp
4x Temple of Malice
4x Blood Crypt

Sideboard:
2x Dreadbore
1x Erebos, God of the Dead
1x Hammer of Purphoros
1x Mizzium Mortars
2x Rakdos's Return
1x Ratchet Bomb
2x Slaughter Games
2x Thoughtseize
3x Ultimate Price
[/DECK]

Jasper

Postby Jasper » Sat Mar 29, 2014 12:51 pm

Good job, and thank's a bunch. I'm sure I'll need all the luck I can get.

As usual, I was unable to sleep a single minute last night. Happens before every event. I'm like a kid on Christmas Eve or something.

AcidPith
Newcomer

Postby AcidPith » Sun Mar 30, 2014 8:32 pm

So how did it go Jasper?

Jasper

Postby Jasper » Mon Mar 31, 2014 2:31 am

It went horribly, lol.

Round 1 I played Uw Devotion. Game 1 mull to 4, couldn't play much.
Game 2 I let him attack me all he wants, while I build devotion. Ral Zarek, untap my Nykthos, drop a Fanatic of Mogis. Next turn, play another Fanatic of Mogis, attack for win.
Game 3 I mull to 6. I was unable to draw any sweepers or Cyclonic Rifts in any of my games, and also no Turn // Burn. Died when he evolved a Raptor, and made the Raptor and Thassa unblockable. Probably a misplay on my part, but it's already a bad matchup.

Round 2 against Esper. Feel good once I identify it, and win game 1 pretty easily.
Game 2 mull to 4. Not sure why I keep getting 1 land hands, but whatever. This was a pretty simple loss, he gained card advantage and walked away with it.
Game 3 is a game I felt I was going to win. Mizzium Mortars 2 seperate Brimaz's. He stabilizes at 4 life, and eventually comes back to win while I draw lands for
a couple turns.

Round 3 against RW Burn. Lost in 2, more mulligans.

Kept playing since my friend that I rode with was still doing okay. Round 4 against RW Burn with Reckoners sideboard. Won in 3. I can't remember too well since I didn't really care too much about what was happening at this point. I do remember 1 of the wins coming off of something involving playing Ral Zarek, a Burning-Tree, and 2 Fanatic of Mogis.
Game 3 involves me being at 3 life, and having to block his Boros Reckoner. I block with my Frostburn Weird, and pump 4 times to ensure I take no damage. I fanatic and attack back for lethal, and he shows me the Magma Jet in his hand.

Round 5 against RW Burn. Won in 3. The game I lost was a mull to 5. Stormbreath Dragon was a pretty key player in both victories. In the last game, my buddy told me that he lost and was dropping, so I filled the slip out as 2-0 for the Burn player, signed that I was dropping, and we went home. I wanted to play a side event but my friend was wanting to go
home and do homework or something, idk.

I feel like Ru is better than Rb. I do feel like most of my losses were from variance, but all-in-all, I'm not sure if I'm going to keep playing Red Devotion. There is an Open in April that I plan to attend, and I think I might be forced to play something more consistent.

AcidPith
Newcomer

Postby AcidPith » Wed Apr 02, 2014 1:01 am

Sorry to hear about the poor luck. It sounds like variance all the way. I feel like the Ru will be stronger with the release of Journey. I think I'm going to stick with Rb a little longer as I enjoy playing with it and I don't have the blue cards for Ru. Good luck with whichever deck you choose to play in the future.

AcidPith
Newcomer

Postby AcidPith » Sat Apr 05, 2014 11:52 pm

[deck]
Creatures:
4 Ash Zealot
4 Boros Reckoner
4 Burning-Tree Emissary
4 Fanatic of Mogis
4 Frostburn Weird
2 Purphoros, God of the Forge
4 Stormbreath Dragon

Planeswalkers:
2 Chandra, Pyromaster

Spells:
2 Dreadbore
2 Hammer of Purphoros
2 Mizzium Mortars
2 Rakdos's Return

Land:
12 Mountain
3 Nykthos, Shrine to Nyx
1 Swamp
4 Temple of Malice
4 Blood Crypt

Sideboard:
2 Dreadbore
1 Erebos, God of the Dead
1 Hammer of Purphoros
1 Mizzium Mortars
2 Rakdos's Return
1 Ratchet Bomb
2 Slaughter Games
3 Thoughtseize
2 Ultimate Price[/deck]

I must be misplaying against mono black devotion. I just can't seem to beat those decks. Maybe it's just poor luck but I feel that this deck should have a stronger MU against mono black. Is there any advice or tech that can help this deck with the mono black MU?

Here is my current sideboard plans:

Vs. Mono Blue:

Out: 4x Ash Zealot , 2x
Purphoros, God of the Forge , 2x Rakdos's Return
In: 2x Ultimate Price , 3x Thoughtseize , 1x Mizzium Mortars , 2x Dreadbore

Vs Mono Black:

Out: 4x Ash Zealot , 2x Fanatic of Mogis , 1x Mizzium Mortars
In: 2x Dreadbore , 1x Hammer of Purphoros , 2x Ultimate Price , 2x Rakdos's Return

Vs. B/W Mid:

Out: 4x Boros Reckoner , 2x Fanatic of Mogis , 2x Purphoros, God of the Forge
In: 1x Mizzium Mortars , 2x Thoughtseize , 2x Ultimate Price , 2x Dreadbore , 1x Rakdos's Return

Vs. Control:

Out: 4x Frostburn Weird , 3x Boros Reckoner , 2x Fanatic of Mogis , 2x Mizzium Mortars
In: 2x Rakdos's Return , 1x Erebos, God of the Dead , 2x Dreadbore , 2x Slaughter Games , 1x Ratchet Bomb , 3x Thoughtseize

Vs. G/R or Jund Monsters:

Out: 4x Ash Zealot , 2x Hammer of Purphoros
In: 2x Ultimate Price , 1x Rakdos's Return , 1x Mizzium Mortars , 2x Dreadbore

Vs. Burn:

Out: 2x Dreadbore , 2x Mizzium Mortars , 2x Hammer of Purphoros
In: 2x Rakdos's Return , 2x Thoughtseize , 2x Slaughter Games
n
Vs. Aggro:

Out: 1x Chandra, Pyromaster , 2x Purphoros, God of the Forge , 2x Hammer of Purphoros
In: 2x Ultimate Price , 1x Mizzium Mortars , 2x Dreadbore

Jasper

Postby Jasper » Sun Apr 06, 2014 11:44 pm

Have you considered bringing Slaughter Games in against Mono Black? Taking their Gray Merchants away can be a pretty big deal. I'd also consider Thoughtsieze against them. I have no disagreements with what you are removing. It may just be that you need to change your playstyle against Mono Black. My basic rules that I say in my head are to never play more than 1 of the same 3-or-less toughness creatures, to avoid Bile Blight. Other than that, you kind of just try to flood the board efficiently and resolve a Chandra. Also, I personally remove the Reckoners against Mono Black seeing as they have a hundred ways to cheaply kill it, and it can't even block anything that you'd want it to. Keep the Fanatics in, as they are eventually going to run out of removal, and you'll be able to resolve a respectable Fanatic drop.

Also, you playing in the Star City Games thing coming up April 12th? I'm planning on attending with
whatever deck feels right.

AcidPith
Newcomer

Postby AcidPith » Mon Apr 07, 2014 3:28 am

That is a great idea! I like Slaughter Games to take out Gary. The reckoners are out now as well. I see your point in having the Fanatics instead. So now it looks like this:

Vs Mono Black:

Out: 4x Ash Zealot , 4x Boros Reckoner , 1x Mizzium Mortars
In: 2x Dreadbore , 1x Hammer of Purphoros , 2x Ultimate Price , 2x [card]Rakdos's Return[/card], 2x Slaughter Games

And I don't know if I will be able to go to the Star City event yet. I want to but I'm starting a new job this week and I just have to see what happens. If I do get to go, I would play this deck for sure. I just like playing it as it is a ton of fun!

Aodh
Tire Aficionado

Postby Aodh » Mon Apr 07, 2014 4:39 am

You should be cutting SBD, FoM, Reckoner against MBD, in that order.

AcidPith
Newcomer

Postby AcidPith » Mon Apr 07, 2014 5:02 am

You should be cutting SBD, FoM, Reckoner against MBD, in that order.
Why that order and why SBD? Is it because of the 5 cmc?

Aodh
Tire Aficionado

Postby Aodh » Mon Apr 07, 2014 6:08 am

Yeah, it's a 5-mana spell into their 2-3 mana removal and just gets eaten by demons. You just want to go under them, so minimize your average CMC.

Jasper

Postby Jasper » Mon Apr 07, 2014 8:46 pm

That plan works until they play a Nightveil Specter. Ash Zealot is bad against MBD. It's good game 1 with so many of them mainboarding Lifebane Zombie now instead of Nightveil, but it will be coming in for games 2 and 3.

Fanatic should stay in. Your devotion won't ever get super high, but Fanatic trades pretty aggressively with all the creatures except D Demon. I also believe that Stormbreath Dragon is great against MBD. By the time he comes down, you've hopefully already taxed their removal, and their HDF's will be getting split between creatures and Planeswalkers. This is the angle I took with Rb against MBD, and it worked most of the time. It's impossible to run under them with his Rb list being so slow. It would maybe work if the deck had Chandra's Phoenix though.

Jasper

Postby Jasper » Sat Apr 12, 2014 7:29 pm

Keranos looks good for control, but how does he look for Red Devotion? He comes down at a pivotal moment in the game, where we've either won, or run out of gas entirely. I guess the main question is, what does Keranos do that Purphoros doesn't do. I find Keranos effect to be more impactful and reliable than Purphoros.

BrainsickHater

Postby BrainsickHater » Wed Apr 16, 2014 5:32 am

So Prophetic Flamespeaker's been spoiled; I think it might be good out of the SB against control decks. Boros Reckoner is pretty lackluster in control matchups, but Flamespeaker is kill on sight or it takes over the game. We have Nykthos for mana to play all the cards exiled, and Hammer for haste to make removal worse. I think Flamespeaker could prove to be very strong against control.

I think he's specifically good in the decks not splashing green. I went off the green splash for a while with this deck but switched back because the Control matchup was that much worse without Domri. Flamespeaker is no Domri, but he generates the card advantage that Red Devotion needs sometimes.

BrainsickHater

Postby BrainsickHater » Wed Apr 16, 2014 5:45 am

Also, about SB in the MB matchup:

My experience has always been with the green splash version, so keep that in mind when I suggest my approach to the matchup.
Against MB I try and run them out of resources while making cards worth as much damage as possible. Hammer of Purphoros is obviously your best friend in this regard, but making them tap out every turn to kill something you played while pelting them with bears is very solid. Their creatures can get in the way, but you should be leaving in some amount of removal. What I try and do is overload their removal with my creatures and then stick a Domri, Chandra, or Hammer when we're both running out of gas. Hopefully he won't have a way to respond cleanly and you should just slowly take over the game.

WIth your deck and Sideboard, AcidPith, I would want to bring in Erebos, Hammer, 2x Slaughter Games, and 2x Dreadbore/Ultimate Price. I don't think you want too
much removal; you would rather play threats and apply pressure. Still, some amount is required to deal with their dudes. I would side out 4 Zealot or 4 Weird, depending on your preference, and the 2 Purphoros. Purphoros triggers are nice, but there is a risk it will do nothing. The triggers are often unhelpful unless you're already applying pressure, and your opponent will rarely let you have devotion to swing with the god. Also, idk if I would ever want 4 Rakdos Returns in a deck; you might want to reconsider that SB slot.

Alex
Not Even MAD

Postby Alex » Thu Apr 17, 2014 7:41 am

Lost in the last round of an 8man a while back against a guy playing [card]Shiv's Embrace[/card]. God damn that card.

I was playing RW burn and got clubbed like a baby seal. How do you kill a 5/5 flying Boros Reckoner after you've played two of your four Chained to the Rocks? It was brutal beats. :(

LP, of the Fires
Tire Aficionado

Postby LP, of the Fires » Fri Apr 18, 2014 8:52 pm

Against control, I'd probably just play satyr nyxsmith.

Post-board, you just want to attack them from multiple angles and stretch there answers. Even if you're getting extra cards from Flamespeaker, it's a creature itself and in boarded games, I usually have a lot of situational cards like wear/tear and glare of heresy in my deck so the random draw's not quite as good. I'd rather have a creature that just generates more damage without forcing me to overcommit.

Patrick chapin

AcidPith
Newcomer

Postby AcidPith » Sat Apr 19, 2014 3:23 pm

WIth your deck and Sideboard, AcidPith, I would want to bring in Erebos, Hammer, 2x Slaughter Games, and 2x Dreadbore/Ultimate Price. I don't think you want too much removal; you would rather play threats and apply pressure. Still, some amount is required to deal with their dudes. I would side out 4 Zealot or 4 Weird, depending on your preference, and the 2 Purphoros. Purphoros triggers are nice, but there is a risk it will do nothing. The triggers are often unhelpful unless you're already applying pressure, and your opponent will rarely let you have devotion to swing with the god. Also, idk if I would ever want 4 Rakdos Returns in a deck; you might want to reconsider that SB slot.
Thanks! That suggestion works out perfectly. I am now
winning consistently against MBC.

Jasper

Postby Jasper » Sun May 11, 2014 11:48 pm

I think it's time for Burning Earth to make a comeback, and to start running mono Red devotion again. Eidolon of the Great Revel also fit's in as well. I'd also like to get some playtime in with Twinflame, since it works great with Red Devotion. In fact, my buddy splashes red in is MBD, and plays Twinflame as a 2-of to great effect. Who would have thought that attacking with a hasted Demon, or making 3 more Pack Rats, or copying Gary's would be so devestating? ;-)

Anyone willing to do some brewing? I keep trying different decks and archetypes, but I always find myself wanting to come back to Red Devotion because it's just so fun to play.

Tyrael
Tire Aficionado

Postby Tyrael » Mon May 12, 2014 5:15 pm

Ok guys, brew time! :D

[deck= New base?]
4 burning-tree emissary
4 eidolon of the great revel
4 frostburn weird
4 reckoner
4 fanatic of mogis
2 purphoros
4 stormbreath dragon

2 hammer of purphoros
3 Mizzium mortars
2 Chained to The Rocks
2 Banishing Light

4 nykthos
4 Sacred Foundry
4 Temple of Triumph
1 mana confluence
12 mountain

sideboard:
2 Harness by Force
1 Mizzium Mortars
1 Banishing Light
2 Chained To The Rocks
[/deck]

How about some Prophetic Flamespeakers? :3

Signature by NerdBoyWonder

Currently playing/testing:
:symub: :symw: Control :symub: :symw:

TBuzzsaw
Tire Aficionado

Postby TBuzzsaw » Tue May 13, 2014 9:13 am

I'm not a fan of Revel in Devotion Red. You want to drop him when you're ahead since you're playing a high amount of low CMC cards. At least burn can work with it, just not here.

Personally I like Twinflame in Devotion. I remember always having two extra mana left over from Nykthos used on nothing. A Fanatic, Reckoner, or Stormbreath with haste for two? Yes please.

LP, of the Fires
Tire Aficionado

Postby LP, of the Fires » Tue May 13, 2014 9:59 am

Flamespeaker is a lot of things in devotion red, but consistent was not one of them. I played one this weekend and that felt about right if you want to play the card. It's high enough variance that you don't want to see it too much, but situational it can be DI Gas.

As far as the sideboard goes, having wear//tear, deicide, and Elspeth was all awesome.

As I mentioned in another thread, with mono-black now able to destroy hammer with charm/decay, I think going back to rakdos cackler/firedrinker satyr plan is worth revisiting.

Patrick chapin

Tyrael
Tire Aficionado

Postby Tyrael » Tue May 13, 2014 1:52 pm

@ TB The Eidolon has been fantastic in my testing so far, a real beater in my control/mono B meta :).

Current build:

[deck= Tyrael's Rb Devo]
Creatures (26)
4 burning-tree emissary
4 eidolon of the great revel
4 frostburn weird
4 boros reckoner
4 fanatic of mogis
2 purphoros
3 stormbreath dragon
1 Sire of Insanity

Sorcs (9)