[SCD]Burning-Tree Emmissary

Threads from Standard formats since passed.

Moderators: Kaitscralt, zemanjaski, Christen

Ascension
Newcomer
(View: POSTS_VIEWTOPIC /POSTS_VIEWTOPIC_INTO)

[SCD]Burning-Tree Emmissary

Postby Ascension » Thu Oct 31, 2013 6:30 am

Shouldn't we be playing this card real heavy now since mono black doesn't have mutilate? You can just get draws where you vomit so many creatures onto the field that their one for one removal can't keep up.

NerdBoyWonder
Tire Aficionado

Postby NerdBoyWonder » Thu Oct 31, 2013 6:50 am

Shouldn't we be playing this card real heavy now since mono black doesn't have mutilate? You can just get draws where you vomit so many creatures onto the field that their one for one removal can't keep up.
Problem with the creature currently is that it no longer has strong chainable creatures to work along side it. Flinthoof Boar and Lightning Mauler really made Emmy shine. The card still does see play but primarily in Red Devotion builds which aren't concerned with vomitting creatures out but instead wanting enough red symbols to do powerful stuff. Emmy is used as a mana dump into Nykthos and other mana sinks in Big Red Devotion.

Tyrael
Tire Aficionado

Postby Tyrael » Thu Oct 31, 2013 8:01 pm

BTE -> (BTE ->) FFS/MJ is has proven to be incredibly powerful in my devo red deck so yeah I'd run BTE over any other two-drop except for ash zealot.

Signature by NerdBoyWonder

Currently playing/testing:
:symub: :symw: Control :symub: :symw:

laranjaBR
Newcomer

Postby laranjaBR » Thu Nov 07, 2013 2:00 pm

Tyrael, I know the feeling as I'm playing a DevoRed right now, but I have to agree with NBW, there's not enough worthy creatures to link from her. If this reality doesn't bother you (sure don't bother me), run it.

Also, there's always a bonus when you chain 2 or 3 BTEs and then burn to the dome. These nut draws are really sick. You just have to know that this is the exception, and not the rule. Just keep that in mind and have some mana sink like Firedrinker Satyr so you can get the most from Emily (and don't forget about Anger of the Gods and Supreme Verdict!)

Tyrael
Tire Aficionado

Postby Tyrael » Thu Nov 07, 2013 2:43 pm

I am running a R/G brew right now so she fits right in either way :).

I do hope red gets more 1 red/1 generic 2cmc drops to chain off of BTE so she can become the engine of mono red once again. She already sees play in Z's pyro red list because he can chain both FFS and YP off of her but that's pretty much it... Fingers crossed for the 2 following sets!

magicdownunder
Tire Aficionado

Postby magicdownunder » Fri Nov 29, 2013 9:07 am

Zemanjaski, I know you ran BURNING-TREE EMMISSARY for ages.

I'm really thinking about running her again to deal with Bx and Ux - I view BtE as a 'free' spell which is excellent against small aggro and DD.decks, while also being a great card for protecting Chandra and fueling large FoM hits post board.

Do you think running 4x BtE is worth moving 1 chains into the SB for and cutting 1 shock or magma jet?

EDIT: Before you ask why not Ash, its because I don't care much for the sweeper decks and prefer to ensure I don't lose to Bx Devotion (BtE has the same value as Ash against BG, Gx and Ux imo).

Enjoy Pauper, Standard, Momir, Modern and Music? then visit my channel: Video Link

dpaine88
Tire Aficionado

Postby dpaine88 » Sat Nov 30, 2013 7:42 pm

Not sure if she truly fits the deck... I really like her alongside either Firefist Striker or Ghor House Chainwalker.
Burn baby burn!

magicdownunder
Tire Aficionado

Postby magicdownunder » Sun Dec 01, 2013 2:04 am

Not sure if she truly fits the deck... I really like her alongside either Firefist Striker or Ghor House Chainwalker.
I reached the same conclusion sadly, you need more creatures to gain value from her.

Enjoy Pauper, Standard, Momir, Modern and Music? then visit my channel: Video Link

Tyrael
Tire Aficionado

Postby Tyrael » Mon Dec 02, 2013 4:31 pm

Fingers crossed for a good generic/red or generic/green creature in Born of the Gods :D

Return to “Archives”