NoSplashRDW

Threads from Standard formats since passed.

Moderators: Kaitscralt, zemanjaski, Christen

DarthStabber
Tire Aficionado
(View: POSTS_VIEWTOPIC /POSTS_VIEWTOPIC_INTO)

NoSplashRDW

Postby DarthStabber » Tue Apr 29, 2014 6:48 am

Looking at making my current RDW deck work with some of the fantastic options provided by Journey into Nyx. The current "themes" are haste and a touch of devotion for fanatic of mogis. The peices all work together as I want them too, but the problem is that it's just not looking like it's going to be able to work the way I want it to in the new environment. The idea is to remain fast small aggro focused, and to not rely so heavily on higher variance cards, example Burning tree emissary is a good card but it leads in the opposite direction I want to go.

Prejourney

It's preboarded into the fastest goldfish configuration, mostly becasuse the local meta has been, in my experience, slower than the wider meta. I actually get a turn 4 kill about once per event.
[Deck]
dudes
4 firedrinker satyr
4 rakdos cackler
4 rakdos shred-freak
4 firefist striker
4 ash zealot
chandra's phoenix
1 pyrewild shaman
3 fanatic of mogis

spells
4 lightning strike
4 searing blood
1 hammer of purphoros

Lands
2 mutavault
21 mountain

Sideboard
4 boros reckoner
1 mountain
1 stormbreath dragon
3 mizzium mortars
2 satyr nyx-smith
3 flames of the firebrand
1 hammer of purphoros
[/deck]
The two one ofs main deck are chosen very carefully. I want 2 hammers in the 75, and putting one main has pulled my fat out of the fire a number of times. The singleton pyrewild shaman is a concession to winning game one of certain matchups that I have no business winning, if I get lucky.
Maybe board
[card]titan's strength[/card]/rubblebelt maaka - close enough to the same thing. Titan for anything where I use a heroic creature, maaka when not.
satyr hoplite - another 1 drop would be nice, though maybe only as a two of, probably 4 in block constructed
[card]eidolon
of the great revel[/card] - obviously it has nice sideboard potential, but I am actually considering maindecking it, it's 2 devotion for fanatic, and it delivers a massive punishment. The friendly fire is a concern and I doubt that I can support it and firedrinker without eating myself alive
harness by force - I've overloaded enough mizzium mortars in the current configuration to realize that snagging two dudes is well withing the realm of possibility. Breaks RG mosters back sometimes. Threaten proper has been in and out of the sideboard, and this could probably sit more comfortably in a sideboard slot than threaten.
blinding flare - only if going in a heroic direction without arena athlete. Clears blockers and activates whatever needs it at the same time, kinda like glare of the sun god does in monowhite.
magma spray/shock - pillar of flame and lightning bolt they are
certainly not, however I have been hesitant to use shock all season, but I may have knuckle down and at least put spray in the board, especially if I start seeing a lot of x/2s with death triggers (you know who I'm talking about)
rouse the mob - an excellent source of trample as part of a balanced breakfast. The strive is a little high, but the ability to push damage through is not to be underestimated. Obvious applications if I move in a heroic direction.
archetype of aggression - almost made the cut last time. Power equal to casting cost is nice, but trample gets over some crappy chumps. Taking trample is not to be underestimated, as it opens up chumping as an option where it wasn't before in certain matches.
[card]mogis's warhound[/card] - who's a good puppy? Huh, who's a good puppy? He does almost exactly the right things (though I think I would rather red get sightless brawler). Effectively 3 mana haste
that dodges mass removal, and the drawback could almost be considered reminder text. And I can drop him at 2 if I lack a better option turn 2. There is no way he isn't going it, it's just a matter of what gets cut for him.
prophetic flamespeaker - all the numbers seem right, but he pushes me in a more "heroic" direction, not because he has heroic, but the kind of cards that are good with heroic are also good with double strikers. I doubt I ever get much in the way of cards from him, because he paints a very big target on his forehead. If I connect with him my opponents are likely having some serious problems, otherwise he's drawing fire from my 1 and 2 drop. The biggest issue I see is the fact that he's a nonbo with my curent haste focus.
dragon mantle/everflame eidolon - they could be listed separately, but they both support the same style of play. If heroic/prophetic becomes an important part
of the deck they both are scary additions, leaning toward the mantle, but keeping a firebreather on the table post verdict seems pretty good.
magma jet - got cut for searing blood, and I don't regret it, but with a significant alteration it behooves me to reconsider it.
sigiled skink - not a serious consideration, though with a flamespeaker adept/knowledge and power deck it offers an interesting option.
akroan crusader - could be an interesting alternative to hoplite, both add a power to the board when targeted, the difference is whether or not I want that power spread out or concentrated. A warhound pushes hoplite out of bile blight range, but not crusader. On the flip side crusader is more likely to force a verdict or similar.
Akroan Conscriptor - if I go in a heroic friendly direction this could be a surprising option out of the sideboard against monogreen devotion and RG
monsters. Turning pumps into threatens is nice, but without a sac outlet it is a tad awkward (though I suppose it lets me steal it again later. Madcap the conscriptor and snag polukranos or arbor colossus and their is a world of hurt comming. Probably not as exciting or as good as harness by force, but I smell some potential, though this would force me into a slower variant, and I am not sure how willing I am to slowdown, but if I find another compelling reason to do so I have this guy in mind. He's done such fantastic work in limited (which is usually not the best indicator).
thanks to nbw for the sig.
You do need to try to gay it up a little more.

You're like the least gay member of this clan.

And that's counting the fact that you voluntarily have sex with men.

Longtoe
Newcomer

Postby Longtoe » Wed Apr 30, 2014 12:03 am

I am interested in running a configuration like this for states. We need to be able to have some game plan against burn. I would ditch the mouthbreather in the board. We also need a way to get through master of waves. There are only three solutions in standard if we are playing mono red one being blinding flare, seismic stomp or legion loyalist. I have been very impressed with him(legion loyalist) in the Psully RDW build. I actually use in lieu of foundry street denizen. We may need to run some peak eruption as well.
Standard: Red whatever variant is most meta appropriate
Modern: RB burn, infect, Twin, Bots
Legacy: UR delver, belcher

DarthStabber
Tire Aficionado

Postby DarthStabber » Wed Apr 30, 2014 4:00 am

Seismic stomp has been in and out of the board, mostly based on likelihood of seeing master of waves. Legion loyalist is interesting, I may pick it up, if for no other reason than it is an excellent card for my local casual metagame (people are getting tired of goblin guide at the kitchen table, and tokens are rampant).

DarthStabber
Tire Aficionado

Postby DarthStabber » Wed Apr 30, 2014 6:29 am

First pass
[Deck]
dudes
4 rakdos cackler
4 satyr hoplite
4 mogis's warhound
4 ash zealot
2 firefist striker
2 everflame eidolon
4 prophetic flamespeaker
2 fanatic of mogis

Spells
4 lightning strike
4 titan's strength
3 rouse the mob

Lands
2 mutavault
21 mountain

Sideboard
3 boros reckoner
1 mountain
3 seismic stomp
3 eidolon of the great revel
2 mizzium mortars
3 harness by force
[/deck]

Much smaller burn package, hence the removal of chandra's phoenix. I am a bit nervous about the low removal, but I'm thinking that this will help present a stronger board, and titan's strength and rouse the mob's ability to hammer bigger things in the combat step to make up for it. Seismic stomp is chosen over blinding flare because it hits everything, including master of waves, as opposed to fringe trick of hitting my own hoplite, and I already have targeted can't block main deck with firefist.
Rouse the mob is in for testing purposes, I think that madcap skills might be better in the slot, but I want to test rouse first because trample is cute. Titan's strength is in over maaka due to hoplite, and hoplite is in due to bestow guys and rouse. The greater focus on pumps is theoretically to support flamespeaker with his nifty double strike and hoplite gets the nod over the other 1 mana satyr because he interacts very favorably with stuff that was already in for flamespeaker, and with the greater number of mana sinks his "bad firebreathing" loses some luster. Someone please tell me if I put together something stupid, because I'm on heavy duty psyche meds and my thought process is suspect.

magicdownunder
Tire Aficionado

Postby magicdownunder » Wed Apr 30, 2014 11:57 am

Here is Mini_Gnarls list he tied first place in the Standard Online Championship"

[deck=Gnarls's RDW]Lands 22
19 Mountain
3 Mutavault

Creatures 32
4 Ash Zealot
4 Boros Reckoner
4 Burning-Tree Emissary
4 Chandra's Phoenix
4 Fanatic of Mogis
4 Firedrinker Satyr
4 Firefist Striker
4 Rakdos Cackler

Burns 06
4 Lightning Strike
2 Searing Blood

Sideboard 15
3 Burning Earth
2 Hammer of Purphoros
4 Mizzium Mortars
2 Searing Blood
4 Skullcrack[/deck]

With the new cards you get from JOU [card]Mogis's Warhound[/card] looks most appealing though I have no idea what you'll cut..... maybe Fanatic of Mogis he is kinda win more (though he gives you the best odds against Ux Devotion)?

Enjoy Pauper, Standard, Momir, Modern and Music? then visit my channel: Video Link

LaZerBurn
Tire Aficionado

Postby LaZerBurn » Wed Apr 30, 2014 12:03 pm

Can't argue with the result but I like Gore-House Chainwalker over Ash as it chains off BTE and goes through Caryatid.
Thanks to NerdBoyWonder for the awesome sig :)

DarthStabber
Tire Aficionado

Postby DarthStabber » Wed Apr 30, 2014 5:40 pm

I just really hate burning tree emissary in RDW, most of the time I play it I am just giving my opponent more CA for their board wipes. It does offer some explosivity, and it's by no means a bad card, but I would rather have ash zealot and they are kind of a nonbo when taken together. That being said with rakdos shred-freak getting the axe I don't have as many double requirements, and only ash zealot at 2. The question then becomes how do I stick in chainwalker? Fanatic hits hard, he's rarely a win more, he's a win now, and he does fantastic things during board stalls, and 4 power is great. Rouse is probably the reasonable cut at that point, and I may be a little heavy on land (it has yet to manifest as a real problem), because even if I cut one I am running the same number as the online championship version (with one less mutavault and one more mountain, because mutavaults ain't cheap, and I have reckoner in the
board who doesn't like mutavaults at all).

Return to “Archives”