[Fedoras of Salvation] - White Knights ITT

Moderator: redthirst

rcwraspy
Tire Aficionado
(View: POSTS_VIEWTOPIC /POSTS_VIEWTOPIC_INTO)

Postby rcwraspy » Mon Apr 22, 2013 12:51 am

Happy birthday, Redthirt!

You know who's birthday it is because the forums header tells you.
Thanks to NerdBoyWonder for the amazing sig!
Son, I want you to know that no matter what happens between your mother and me, it's all your fault.

Jack
Tire Aficionado

Postby Jack » Mon Apr 22, 2013 12:53 am

Windstrider - The assignment was to write an essay on the following topic: What was the Reformation? Who started it and how did it spread? How did it influence the arts?
While I disagree with her choice of words, I do not necessarily disagree with the sentiment behind those words.

Your writing style displays a raw passion that is far too often lacking in most student writing. On that point alone, I would have liked to
have read your essay if it were turned in to me. The raw metal of your passion needs to be tempered with an awareness of just how far you can push your audience. Otherwise, your words will fall on deaf ears and minds resistant to understanding.
If you want to read it, here it is.

Reform This!
Sometimes the world needs a change. Sometimes the tyrannical establishment needs to be flipped upside down and urinated on to make way for new and exciting ideas. The oppressed needs to be freed and the corruption needs to be wiped away for progress to occur. Goliath needs to be slain and the little people of the world need to stand united and have their voices heard. When the forest grows too thick, a purging fire is inevitable. And out of this destruction, new life will prosper.

One morning in 1517, a man named Martin Luther nailed a paper entitled Ninety-Five Thesis to the church door at Wittenburg and sparked a schism in Christianity. At the time, the Catholic Church
was an oppressive engine of hypocrisy that was dividing the rich and the poor. The Church held a virtual monopoly on salvation and was fueled by the contributions of the working class. Access to the scriptures was limited and was only to be found within the Church. Likewise, the Church built lavish and decadent works that were funded by the indulgences paid for by the lower class. At the heart of the matter, the poor were putting in more than the wealthy and getting nothing in return. In short, the Church operated as a business that preyed upon the poor and the ignorant. And the Church liked it that way.

This angered Martin Luther to no end. Luther argued that the path to salvation was based upon a man’s faith alone and not on works accomplished on this Earth or in monetary compensation to the Church. He believed that since Jesus Christ had already died for humanity’s sins, there was no point in pursuing worldly sacrifices to gain entrance into heaven. Faith and faith alone would be enough to save one’s
soul. The need for a middle-man in the form of the Catholic Church was at an end.

Luther’s Ninety-Five Theses sparked the Protestant Reformation and his challenge on the papal authority undermined the total control the Catholic Church had upon the masses. However, the strength in Martin Luther’s message was derived from its broad appeal to the ordinary person. Following Luther’s excommunication from the Church, he fled to Wartburg Castle in Germany, where he began to work on translating the Bible from Latin to the vernacular German. His goal was to make the Bible available to the everyday person, completely cutting out the need for the Church’s involvement, so that a person could ponder on the scriptures themselves. It was a success. Over 3,000 copies of his vernacular New Testament quickly sold out in a town of only 2,500 people.

While Martin Luther led this Reformation in Germany, others began reform movements elsewhere in France and Switzerland. John Calvin, for example, transformed Geneva into
a Protestant haven. Many sought refuge in Calvinist Geneva, including nearly 7,000 religious refugees, to practice their spiritual beliefs. Afterwards, these people carried these Protestant teachings back to their homelands, further spreading the Reformation. The fire sparked by Luther’s outrage would know no bounds.

The invention of the printing press would prove to be the most effective means of spreading Luther’s Reformation. Up until this time, Bibles were considered rare and were under lock and key of the Catholic Church. The printing press allowed interpretations of Luther’s vernacular Bible to be spread like wildfire and shortly thereafter, Martin Luther was the Continent’s bestselling author. They key to spreading the Reformation was to get the message out fast – the printing press made books readily available for everyone to read. French sympathizers to the Reformation, such as Francois Rabelais and Michel de Montaigne, were able to utilize the power of the press and circulate their own written
works. Society was transformed by the spread of the written word thanks to the printing press.

As the Reformation progressed, it would have a huge impact on the arts. Many of the Protestants strongly believed that the Church commissioned artwork adorning the walls of cathedrals and churches represented the Church’s taste for materiality, rather than spirituality. The ensuing purge, or iconoclast, resulted in numerous works of art being destroyed. Churches were sacked, sculptures destroyed, and art was ripped from the walls from which they hung; very little was spared during this turmoil. As the churches were “cleansed,” the style for places of worship became bare-bones and minimalistic. With these new changes, the need for church commissioned artwork became less and less. As a result, many artists either lost their livelihood or turned to secular imagery.

Fortunately for artists during the Reformation, the growing middle-class turned to secular art to decorate their homes. The art from this period
includes rolling landscapes, cycles, still lifes. Most of these pieces depict the day-to-life of the people, or the changing of the seasons. Nevertheless, moral implications and overtones still found their way into the art of this time. For example, the Triumph of Death by Pieter Bruegel shows us a world in turmoil in which armies of skeleton warriors have slain an entire kingdom, peasants and king alike. The painting shows us that everyone is equal when Death comes calling.

The Reformation was necessary for the world to evolve. When an organization holds complete control over the masses, progress will stagnate. The Church forced its beliefs onto the people, held them in ignorance, and enslaved them with the belief that they had to buy their out of Hell. As long as the Church had the power, society would remain in ignorance while the Pope’s pockets became heavy with the riches made from selling indulgences. It took one man with the courage, smarts, and anger to rise up and tell the Catholic Juggernaut
where to stick it. Because of that one act, Martin Luther started a revolution that changed the world. One must wonder if the printing press would have even stood a chance in the world since the Church had a monopoly on Bibles, which were considered rare and written in a language that the common folk couldn’t understand. Could art have evolved when the majority of the commissions were for religious pieces? One thing was for sure – the Church’s iron grip on society needed to be relaxed. The time was right for somebody to slay the giant. That man was Martin Luther, the man with the world’s biggest middle finger.
I can't find the polished copy, so you may find some grammatical errors.
If it makes you feel better, had you been asked to incited the masses to revolution, it's certainly an A+. But there's a difference
between academic writing and revolutionary rhetoric, whether you like it or not.
"No! No different. Only different in your mind. You must unlearn what you have learned." >> Yoda
I find your writing style fantastic, khaos. I'm surprised that you don't change very much from the way you write in your primers/red mage musings. While the teacher might not agree with your style (doesn't seem to fit the dry flavor that has become expected of academic writing), if this was written for an English course, it would certainly receive a high grade, as the writing is, well, high grade.
Sig by NBW.

hamfactorial
Tire Aficionado

Postby hamfactorial » Mon Apr 22, 2013 12:54 am

Mine is still showing lorddax as the birthday boy.

rcwraspy
Tire Aficionado

Postby rcwraspy » Mon Apr 22, 2013 12:56 am

Mine is still showing lorddax as the birthday boy.
All my posts show up with very strange timestamps, so it may be a time zone setting thing.
Son, I want you to know that no matter what happens between your mother and me, it's all your fault.

Lightning_Dolt
Tire Aficionado

Postby Lightning_Dolt » Mon Apr 22, 2013 12:56 am

Hsppy Birthday Redthirst! May your mighty unit see even more use in the upcoming year.

Jack
Tire Aficionado

Postby Jack » Mon Apr 22, 2013 12:56 am

but the header didn't tell us it was red's birthday. Sasky did, then I quoted him, and I guess everyone knew then. Or maybe it isn't his birthday, and redthirst just won't correct us because, you know what, having two birthdays is pretty good :sherlock: .
Sig by NBW.

Khaospawn
Khaospawn's beautiful and unique title

Postby Khaospawn » Mon Apr 22, 2013 1:01 am

How do we know it's redthirst's b-day?.
I don't actually know. I just saw everyone else wishing him a happy birthday so I jumped on the pile. I'm such a bandwagoner!
I know! lol

RT hides his DOB in his profile and I don't think he actually mentioned his birthday. I could be mistaken. It's possible he mentioned it when I was catching up on multiple pages, but I digress.

I'd rather be safe than sorry when it comes to wishing our Lord and Savior a happy birthday.
In a pinch, Khaos' beard can help turn this around.
I rarely skip a Khaospawn wall of text because I know there is always piss at the end of the rainbow.

Khaospawn

Postby Khaospawn » Mon Apr 22, 2013 1:03 am

If we're all wrong on this, it's going to be fucking hilarious.
I rarely skip a Khaospawn wall of text because I know there is always piss at the end of the rainbow.

Khaospawn

Postby Khaospawn » Mon Apr 22, 2013 1:06 am

Windstrider - The assignment was to write an essay on the following topic: What was the Reformation? Who started it and how did it spread? How did it influence the arts?
While I disagree with her choice of words, I do not necessarily disagree with the
sentiment behind those words.

Your writing style displays a raw passion that is far too often lacking in most student writing. On that point alone, I would have liked to have read your essay if it were turned in to me. The raw metal of your passion needs to be tempered with an awareness of just how far you can push your audience. Otherwise, your words will fall on deaf ears and minds resistant to understanding.
If you want to read it, here it is.

Reform This!
Sometimes the world needs a change. Sometimes the tyrannical establishment needs to be flipped upside down and urinated on to make way for new and exciting ideas. The oppressed needs to be freed and the corruption needs to be wiped away for progress to occur. Goliath needs to be slain and the little people of the world need to stand united and have their voices heard. When the forest grows too thick, a purging fire is inevitable. And out of this destruction, new life will prosper.

One morning in 1517,
a man named Martin Luther nailed a paper entitled Ninety-Five Thesis to the church door at Wittenburg and sparked a schism in Christianity. At the time, the Catholic Church was an oppressive engine of hypocrisy that was dividing the rich and the poor. The Church held a virtual monopoly on salvation and was fueled by the contributions of the working class. Access to the scriptures was limited and was only to be found within the Church. Likewise, the Church built lavish and decadent works that were funded by the indulgences paid for by the lower class. At the heart of the matter, the poor were putting in more than the wealthy and getting nothing in return. In short, the Church operated as a business that preyed upon the poor and the ignorant. And the Church liked it that way.

This angered Martin Luther to no end. Luther argued that the path to salvation was based upon a man’s faith alone and not on works accomplished on this Earth or in monetary compensation to the Church. He believed that since Jesus
Christ had already died for humanity’s sins, there was no point in pursuing worldly sacrifices to gain entrance into heaven. Faith and faith alone would be enough to save one’s soul. The need for a middle-man in the form of the Catholic Church was at an end.

Luther’s Ninety-Five Theses sparked the Protestant Reformation and his challenge on the papal authority undermined the total control the Catholic Church had upon the masses. However, the strength in Martin Luther’s message was derived from its broad appeal to the ordinary person. Following Luther’s excommunication from the Church, he fled to Wartburg Castle in Germany, where he began to work on translating the Bible from Latin to the vernacular German. His goal was to make the Bible available to the everyday person, completely cutting out the need for the Church’s involvement, so that a person could ponder on the scriptures themselves. It was a success. Over 3,000 copies of his vernacular New Testament quickly sold out in a town of only 2,500 people.

While Martin Luther led this Reformation in Germany, others began reform movements elsewhere in France and Switzerland. John Calvin, for example, transformed Geneva into a Protestant haven. Many sought refuge in Calvinist Geneva, including nearly 7,000 religious refugees, to practice their spiritual beliefs. Afterwards, these people carried these Protestant teachings back to their homelands, further spreading the Reformation. The fire sparked by Luther’s outrage would know no bounds.

The invention of the printing press would prove to be the most effective means of spreading Luther’s Reformation. Up until this time, Bibles were considered rare and were under lock and key of the Catholic Church. The printing press allowed interpretations of Luther’s vernacular Bible to be spread like wildfire and shortly thereafter, Martin Luther was the Continent’s bestselling author. They key to spreading the Reformation was to get the message out fast – the printing press made books readily available for everyone
to read. French sympathizers to the Reformation, such as Francois Rabelais and Michel de Montaigne, were able to utilize the power of the press and circulate their own written works. Society was transformed by the spread of the written word thanks to the printing press.

As the Reformation progressed, it would have a huge impact on the arts. Many of the Protestants strongly believed that the Church commissioned artwork adorning the walls of cathedrals and churches represented the Church’s taste for materiality, rather than spirituality. The ensuing purge, or iconoclast, resulted in numerous works of art being destroyed. Churches were sacked, sculptures destroyed, and art was ripped from the walls from which they hung; very little was spared during this turmoil. As the churches were “cleansed,” the style for places of worship became bare-bones and minimalistic. With these new changes, the need for church commissioned artwork became less and less. As a result, many artists either lost their livelihood or
turned to secular imagery.

Fortunately for artists during the Reformation, the growing middle-class turned to secular art to decorate their homes. The art from this period includes rolling landscapes, cycles, still lifes. Most of these pieces depict the day-to-life of the people, or the changing of the seasons. Nevertheless, moral implications and overtones still found their way into the art of this time. For example, the Triumph of Death by Pieter Bruegel shows us a world in turmoil in which armies of skeleton warriors have slain an entire kingdom, peasants and king alike. The painting shows us that everyone is equal when Death comes calling.

The Reformation was necessary for the world to evolve. When an organization holds complete control over the masses, progress will stagnate. The Church forced its beliefs onto the people, held them in ignorance, and enslaved them with the belief that they had to buy their out of Hell. As long as the Church had the power, society would remain in ignorance while
the Pope’s pockets became heavy with the riches made from selling indulgences. It took one man with the courage, smarts, and anger to rise up and tell the Catholic Juggernaut where to stick it. Because of that one act, Martin Luther started a revolution that changed the world. One must wonder if the printing press would have even stood a chance in the world since the Church had a monopoly on Bibles, which were considered rare and written in a language that the common folk couldn’t understand. Could art have evolved when the majority of the commissions were for religious pieces? One thing was for sure – the Church’s iron grip on society needed to be relaxed. The time was right for somebody to slay the giant. That man was Martin Luther, the man with the world’s biggest middle finger.
I can't find the polished copy, so you may find some grammatical errors.
If it makes you feel better, had you been asked to incited the masses to revolution, it's certainly an A+. But there's a difference between academic writing and revolutionary rhetoric, whether you like it or not.
"No! No different. Only different in your mind. You must unlearn what you have learned." >> Yoda
I find your writing style fantastic, khaos. I'm surprised that you don't change very much from the way you write in your primers/red mage musings. While the teacher might not agree with your style (doesn't seem to fit the dry flavor that has become expected of academic writing), if this was written for an English course, it would certainly receive a high grade, as the writing is, well, high grade.
Thanks, freedom. The words of praise mean a lot! :)

Helios
Tire Aficionado

Postby Helios » Mon Apr 22, 2013 1:10 am

@Khaos & Windstrider: If a painting is exciting because you used marble to sculpt it, is it still a painting?
Last edited by Helios on Mon Apr 22, 2013 1:11 am, edited 1 time in total.

rcwraspy
Tire Aficionado

Postby rcwraspy » Mon Apr 22, 2013 1:11 am

but the header didn't tell us it was red's birthday. Sasky did, then I quoted him, and I guess everyone knew then. Or maybe it isn't his birthday, and redthirst just won't correct us because, you know what, having two birthdays is pretty good :sherlock: .
my header says it's red's bday.

Khaospawn

Postby Khaospawn » Mon Apr 22, 2013 1:14 am

@Khaos & Windstrider: If a painting is exciting because you used marble to sculpt it, is it still a painting?
All art is boring unless it's a painting or sculpture of redthirst's crank. - Chapter 8, Verse 4, from the Book of Redthirst.

Helios
Tire Aficionado

Postby Helios » Mon Apr 22, 2013 1:17 am

All art is boring unless it's a painting or sculpture of redthirst's crank. - Chapter 8, Verse 4, from the Book of Redthirst.
Well said. :smileup:

rcwraspy
Tire Aficionado

Postby rcwraspy » Mon Apr 22, 2013 1:21 am

but the header didn't tell us it was red's birthday. Sasky did, then I quoted him, and I guess everyone knew then. Or maybe it isn't his birthday, and redthirst just won't correct us because, you know what, having two birthdays is pretty good .
my header says it's red's bday.

:iiam:
So I just updated my settings. Apparently instead of Eastern zone US I had chosen Eastern Europe. So the forums thought that for me it was Monday, and Red's bday was in the header. Now after updating it says Lorddax.

So.

Happy B-Day Lorddax.

And happy bday tomorrow to Redthirst. And Happy Birthday on Tuesday to your dong. The way these forums operate, since your massive manhood occupies multiple time zones, it won't be until Tuesday.

Khaospawn

Postby Khaospawn » Mon Apr 22, 2013 1:23 am

Immortalized the family's awesomeness today with pictures!

rcwraspy
Tire Aficionado

Postby rcwraspy » Mon Apr 22, 2013 1:26 am

Nice! Always good to have some family portraits around.

Khaospawn

Postby Khaospawn » Mon Apr 22, 2013 1:27 am

Nice! Always good to have some family portraits around.
It was fun to do, but pretty exhausting. Totally worth it though.

zemanjaski
Tire Aficionado

Postby zemanjaski » Mon Apr 22, 2013 1:29 am

Happy Birthday RT!

In other news, I got a PM today asking for my thoughts on Vexing Devil...I am not sure if I should publicly shame this person, but honestly, it really pissed me off.
1 - Drunk, surly zem
2 - Nice, modest zem
3 - Bragpost zem
4 - Confident and funny zem
5 - Condescending jerk zem
6 - Self-aware zem
Everyone's a winner, we're making our fame,
Bona fide hustler making my name

Sasky
Tire Aficionado

Postby Sasky » Mon Apr 22, 2013 1:34 am

It's because I live in a different timezone!

windstrider
Knight in Sour Armor

Postby windstrider » Mon Apr 22, 2013 1:35 am

All art is quite useless.
Searing Seneschal of Salvation

Cogito, ergo incendo.

sig by NBW

rcwraspy
Tire Aficionado

Postby rcwraspy » Mon Apr 22, 2013 1:35 am

Happy Birthday RT!

In other news, I got a PM today asking for my thoughts on Vexing Devil...I am not sure if I should publicly shame this person, but honestly, it really pissed me off.
here or on MTGS?

Helios
Tire Aficionado

Postby Helios » Mon Apr 22, 2013 1:36 am

Happy Birthday RT!

Do you have a URL we can refer people to when they ask that question? I want to print some business cards that say "Why VD is bad." with a URL.

Khaospawn

Postby Khaospawn » Mon Apr 22, 2013 1:36 am

Unless it's on a Magic card. Or of RT's crank.

See Advent of the Wurm for both examples.

Helios
Tire Aficionado

Postby Helios » Mon Apr 22, 2013 1:37 am

Can't tell if sarcasm or just pure idiocy.

Khaospawn

Postby Khaospawn » Mon Apr 22, 2013 1:38 am

Happy Birthday RT!

*In the voice of Emperor Palpatine* Do it. Kill him.

rcwraspy
Tire Aficionado

Postby rcwraspy » Mon Apr 22, 2013 1:39 am

New spoiled card in Gruul colors: http://forums.mtgsalvation.com/attachme ... 1366563753

Zhur-Taa Druid
RG
Human Druid
T: Add G to your mana pool
Each time you tap ~ for mana, ~ does 1 damage to each opponent.

hamfactorial
Tire Aficionado

Postby hamfactorial » Mon Apr 22, 2013 1:42 am

I take back everything I said about you, redthirst. I'll say it again tomorrow though, don't sweat it.

Until then, happy birthday to lorddax! May your various lovely ladies properly serve you on your cakeday.

Khaospawn

Postby Khaospawn » Mon Apr 22, 2013 1:42 am

I'm sure it's sarcasm. Windstrider is anything but stupid. The guy is a gentleman AND a scholar.

windstrider
Knight in Sour Armor

Postby windstrider » Mon Apr 22, 2013 1:44 am

[quote="[url=viewtopic.php?p=55896#p55896:2xchixpf]Helios » Sun Apr 21, 2013 6:37 pm[/url:2xchixpf]":2xchixpf][quote="[url=viewtopic.php?p=55890#p55890:2xchixpf]windstrider » Sun Apr 21, 2013 6:35 pm[/url:2xchixpf]":2xchixpf][quote="[url=viewtopic.php?p=55877#p55877:2xchixpf]Helios » Sun Apr 21, 2013 6:10 pm[/url:2xchixpf]":2xchixpf]@Khaos & Windstrider: If a painting is exciting because you used marble to sculpt it, is it still a painting?[/quote:2xchixpf]

All art is quite useless.[/quote:2xchixpf]

Can't tell if sarcasm or just pure idiocy.[/quote:2xchixpf]

Neither. It is the last line in The Preface to [i:2xchixpf]The Picture of Dorian Gray[/i:2xchixpf] by Oscar Wilde.

"Preface

The artist is the creator of beautiful things. To reveal art and conceal the artist
is art's aim. The critic is he who can translate into another manner or a new material his impression of beautiful things.
The highest as the lowest form of criticism is a mode of autobiography. Those who find ugly meanings in beautiful things are corrupt without being charming. This is a fault.

Those who find beautiful meanings in beautiful things are the cultivated. For these there is hope. They are the elect to whom beautiful things mean only beauty.

There is no such thing as a moral or an immoral book. Books are well written, or badly written. That is all.

The nineteenth century dislike of realism is the rage of Caliban seeing his own face in a glass.

The nineteenth century dislike of romanticism is the rage of Caliban not seeing his own face in a glass. The moral life of man forms part of the subject-matter of the artist, but the morality of art consists in the perfect use of an imperfect medium. No artist desires to prove anything. Even things that are true can be proved. No artist has
ethical sympathies. An ethical sympathy in an artist is an unpardonable mannerism of style. No artist is ever morbid. The artist can express everything. Thought and language are to the artist instruments of an art. Vice and virtue are to the artist materials for an art. From the point of view of form, the type of all the arts is the art of the musician. From the point of view of feeling, the actor's craft is the type. All art is at once surface and symbol. Those who go beneath the surface do so at their peril. Those who read the symbol do so at their peril. It is the spectator, and not life, that art really mirrors. Diversity of opinion about a work of art shows that the work is new, complex, and vital. When critics disagree, the artist is in accord with himself. We can forgive a man for making a useful thing as long as he does not admire it. The only excuse for making a useless thing is that one admires it intensely.

All art is quite useless."

Cogito, ergo incendo.

sig by NBW

zemanjaski
Tire Aficionado

Postby zemanjaski » Mon Apr 22, 2013 1:45 am

It was on here.

The new creature is pretty cool I guess.
1 - Drunk, surly zem
2 - Nice, modest zem
3 - Bragpost zem
4 - Confident and funny zem
5 - Condescending jerk zem
6 - Self-aware zem
Everyone's a winner, we're making our fame,
Bona fide hustler making my name

Khaospawn

Postby Khaospawn » Mon Apr 22, 2013 1:45 am

Neither. It is the last line in The Preface to [i:
hqprada4]The Picture of Dorian Gray[/i] by Oscar Wilde.

"Preface

The artist is the creator of beautiful things. To reveal art and conceal the artist is art's aim. The critic is he who can translate into another manner or a new material his impression of beautiful things.
The highest as the lowest form of criticism is a mode of autobiography. Those who find ugly meanings in beautiful things are corrupt without being charming. This is a fault.

Those who find beautiful meanings in beautiful things are the cultivated. For these there is hope. They are the elect to whom beautiful things mean only beauty.

There is no such thing as a moral or an immoral book. Books are well written, or badly written. That is all.

The nineteenth century dislike of realism is the rage of Caliban seeing his own face in a glass.

The nineteenth century dislike of romanticism is the rage of Caliban not seeing his own face in a glass. The moral life of man forms part of the subject-matter of the artist,
but the morality of art consists in the perfect use of an imperfect medium. No artist desires to prove anything. Even things that are true can be proved. No artist has ethical sympathies. An ethical sympathy in an artist is an unpardonable mannerism of style. No artist is ever morbid. The artist can express everything. Thought and language are to the artist instruments of an art. Vice and virtue are to the artist materials for an art. From the point of view of form, the type of all the arts is the art of the musician. From the point of view of feeling, the actor's craft is the type. All art is at once surface and symbol. Those who go beneath the surface do so at their peril. Those who read the symbol do so at their peril. It is the spectator, and not life, that art really mirrors. Diversity of opinion about a work of art shows that the work is new, complex, and vital. When critics disagree, the artist is in accord with himself. We can forgive a man for making a useful thing as long as he does not admire it.
The only excuse for making a useless thing is that one admires it intensely.

I rest my case.
Last edited by Khaospawn on Mon Apr 22, 2013 1:46 am, edited 1 time in total.

rcwraspy
Tire Aficionado

Postby rcwraspy » Mon Apr 22, 2013 1:45 am

Neither. It is the last line in The Preface to
The Picture of Dorian Gray
by Oscar Wilde.

"Preface

The artist is the creator of beautiful things. To reveal art and conceal the artist is art's aim. The critic is he who can translate into another manner or a new material his impression of beautiful things.

The nineteenth century dislike of romanticism is the rage of Caliban not seeing his own face in a glass. The moral life of man forms part of the subject-matter of the artist, but the
morality of art consists in the perfect use of an imperfect medium. No artist desires to prove anything. Even things that are true can be proved. No artist has ethical sympathies. An ethical sympathy in an artist is an unpardonable mannerism of style. No artist is ever morbid. The artist can express everything. Thought and language are to the artist instruments of an art. Vice and virtue are to the artist materials for an art. From the point of view of form, the type of all the arts is the art of the musician. From the point of view of feeling, the actor's craft is the type. All art is at once surface and symbol. Those who go beneath the surface do so at their peril. Those who read the symbol do so at their peril. It is the spectator, and not life, that art really mirrors. Diversity of opinion about a work of art shows that the work is new, complex, and vital. When critics disagree, the artist is in accord with himself. We can forgive a man for making a useful thing as long as he does not admire it. The
only excuse for making a useless thing is that one admires it intensely.

pwn3d.

Helios
Tire Aficionado

Postby Helios » Mon Apr 22, 2013 1:47 am

Ah. Well, Oscar and I disagree.

Khaospawn

Postby Khaospawn » Mon Apr 22, 2013 1:49 am

It was on here.

The new creature is pretty cool I guess.
If it was on here from a FoS member, he deserves to get demoted to Tier -1

windstrider
Knight in Sour Armor

Postby windstrider » Mon Apr 22, 2013 1:53 am

He's an acquired taste. I did an independent study on him as part of my master's degree.

The Preface is an attempt to explain/defend his ideas of aestheticism, primarily that artwork can only be truly judged or appreciated for the effect that it has on the viewer. If no one is there to view it, a painting is just colors on canvas.

He appears as a minor character in Fall of Hyperion: the action artist Spenser Reynolds is based on Wilde. ;-)
Last edited by windstrider on Mon Apr 22, 2013 1:58 am, edited 1 time in total.

Cogito, ergo incendo.

sig by NBW

Helios
Tire Aficionado

Postby Helios » Mon Apr 22, 2013 1:56 am

He's an acquired taste. I did an independent study on him as part of my master's degree.

He appears as a minor character in Fall of Hyperion: the action artist Spenser Reynolds is based on Wilde. ;-)
Don't have anything against his writing, I just disagree with the assertion in that Preface.

Oh, that's neat. I'm on Endymion now, by the by.

windstrider
Knight in Sour Armor

Postby windstrider » Mon Apr 22, 2013 2:01 am

Don't have anything against his writing, I just disagree with the assertion in
that Preface.

Oh, that's neat. I'm on Endymion now, by the by.
Are you reading it for the wrong reason? :D

Endymion has one of the best opening lines of any book. It is very much different than the first two books in the series.

Cogito, ergo incendo.

sig by NBW

hamfactorial
Tire Aficionado

Postby hamfactorial » Mon Apr 22, 2013 2:06 am

My dad was a big fan of Oscar Wilde, and would often quote him in everyday conversation. His favorite was "I have nothing to declare but my genius" which he managed to use once in an airport security checkpoint.

Solemn10
Newcomer

Postby Solemn10 » Mon Apr 22, 2013 2:14 am

I think this site tells you birthdays according to your time zone which would explain why some still see lorddax and some see redthirst. I live in Japan so everyone in the us will recieve an early birthday wish from me.

Helios
Tire Aficionado

Postby Helios » Mon Apr 22, 2013 2:15 am

I need to stop reading the comments in the preview threads on Mtgs. They just make me angry.
Are you reading it for the wrong reason? :D

Endymion has one of the best opening lines of any book. It is very much different than the first two books in the series.
Lol I was when I started (In hopes of discovering more about the pilgrims).

Return to “Fires of Salvation”