[Primer] Gruul Ragehammer (Old INN-RTR Standard)

Threads from Standard formats since passed.

Moderators: Kaitscralt, zemanjaski, Christen

Pyreheart Bezerra
(View: POSTS_VIEWTOPIC /POSTS_VIEWTOPIC_INTO)

Postby Pyreheart Bezerra » Tue Sep 10, 2013 9:24 pm

polukranos playing well for you? is his monstrous relevent or would deadbridge's scavenge be more attainable?

Tier 2 Member of Fires of Salvation.

Mountain Mage since 7/12

Check out my Limited Articles @ CardAgain!

Link
Tire Aficionado

Postby Link » Tue Sep 10, 2013 10:08 pm

plokranos is legendary, useless if he dies to control, and way too expensive monstrous.

deadbridge allows.you.to pressure with bad topdecks, and can be cast in multiples.

ragebeast and ruric are good friends. also.comes down and.kills angel.of serenity.

Link
Tire Aficionado

Postby Link » Thu Sep 12, 2013 7:39 pm

Paulo made a list with Rubblebelt raiders. Being brazilian and loving Raiders, I couldn't help but tweak it.

I removed the red god, sticking to just the green, also fit in GCR for more trample for raiders. This deck has insane power, but Im not sure Raiders+God is really better than Hexproof plant+deadbridge. Obviously its better synergy wise, which isnt the worst. Overloading early mortars is still the most powerful deck either thing does.

The list also plays BTE over the Plant, which is mostly jsut for speed and power. BTE into hammer swing 2 is pretty insane, but the plant allows for easier T3 hydras and overloaded mortars...

Anyway:

[deck]
4 Elvish Mystic
4 Zhur-Taa Druid
4 Kalonian Hydra
4 Ghor-Clan Rampager
2 Nylea, Goddess of the Hunt
4 Rubblebelt Raiders
4 Burning-Tree Emissary
2 Scavenging Ooze

23 Lands
4 Stomping Ground
4 Temple of Abandon
9 Forest
7 Mountain

9 Noncreature
4 Domri Rade
n
2 Hammer of Bogardan
3 Mizzium Mortars[/deck]

Link
Tire Aficionado

Postby Link » Thu Sep 12, 2013 7:41 pm

upping to 3 hammer is risky. 2/2 split wiht the gods means that I don't see them in multiples (because they are really bad) but when I do see them its house wreck.

Without them the deck has issues, but since you can just overload mortars and survive or sit back on Domri against control, its pretty stable for having time to "set-up" Hammer into Raiders or Hydra. Hammer into the God is pretty sweet too... I think for the start of the meta this will be more fun until I have time to collect the 4 ehxproof plants anyway (because the hammer and the green god are going to be cheap as hell)

LP, of the Fires
Tire Aficionado

Postby LP, of the Fires » Thu Sep 12, 2013 7:46 pm

I think it's a mistake not running polukranos. He's bad in multiples, but he's VERY good against the other agro decks and gives you something proactive to do with all your extra mana.
You gotta understand, I love the beatdown. I really do. I always have.

Beatdown is hard, though.

Patrick chapin

Pyreheart Bezerra

Postby Pyreheart Bezerra » Thu Sep 12, 2013 8:23 pm

Fate, you a Brasileno too? sweet.

Tier 2 Member of Fires of Salvation.

Mountain Mage since 7/12

Check out my Limited Articles @ CardAgain!

LP, of the Fires
Tire Aficionado

Postby LP, of the Fires » Thu Sep 12, 2013 9:14 pm

He looked pretty white to me :iiam:

Patrick chapin

Link
Tire Aficionado

Postby Link » Thu Sep 12, 2013 9:24 pm

I tan easily LP. Too many indoor magic days

Link
Tire Aficionado

Postby Link » Thu Sep 12, 2013 9:27 pm

I think it's a mistake not running polukranos. He's bad in multiples, but he's VERY good against the other agro decks and gives you something proactive to do with all your extra mana.
A few more thoughts:

I think ZTD is there because he was running both gods. Hexproof plant makes you not fold to MonoR it also produces red for Hammer and Overload MOrtars... Though I DO like ZTDs game against control.

Meta dependent

I also want -1 mortars +1 Clan defiance if Im going the ZTD route. Gives you a LOT of different angles (burn them out with ZTD clan defiance. Hammer them down. Domri) without relying on Raiders vs. control (cuz lol)

ALSO

The best thing about this build

Is that it makes RAGEHAMMER a legit name.

My
family es brasileros, me mae nascido em Rio, es carioca.

As you can see my portuguese es muito malo >_____>

BUT I STILL GOT THE CORAçãO

(damn american keyboards)

Link
Tire Aficionado

Postby Link » Thu Sep 12, 2013 9:29 pm

Also PV said it best Re: Polukranos:

Do you really want a huge mana sink AFTER you get a 5/5 fatty on the board? Or do you want a mana sink in case it gets REMOVED? Dreadbridge goliath> Polukranos.

Also I rather overload a mizzium mortars the turn after all day any day vs. Monstrousing Polu. Too much mana for too little effect

LP, of the Fires
Tire Aficionado

Postby LP, of the Fires » Thu Sep 12, 2013 9:31 pm

Zhur tar is likely just a bad card. 1/1 for 2 mana dork is LAAAAAAAAAAME.

Patrick chapin

Link
Tire Aficionado

Postby Link » Thu Sep 12, 2013 9:36 pm

T___T

Yeah the plant should probably be there. Fixing is important, immune to spot removal. I just like the aggressiveness of ZTD which is what the deck is pretty focused on, whereas an 0/3 plant with defender isnt the most aggressive card you can think of...

Link
Tire Aficionado

Postby Link » Thu Sep 12, 2013 9:46 pm

I forgot I also made a less "deep" version of the Midrange deck.

So basically we have a God build and a Godless build:

Nylea Gruul posted above.

[deck]Godless Gruul[/deck]

I'm going with Stormbreath over Hydra here because it has game against control and G/W decks, and gives the deck some much needed haste.

Looks plenty more solid, which is what I might take to an SCG open or something, using the Nylea build for FNM and the like

LP, of the Fires
Tire Aficionado

Postby LP, of the Fires » Thu Sep 12, 2013 9:53 pm

You should try testing with Xenagos. Monstrous dragons are cool. And even if you don't like polokranos, I think you should still run some before playing 4 straight up vanilla 5/5s.

Patrick chapin

Link
Tire Aficionado

Postby Link » Thu Sep 12, 2013 9:55 pm

scavenge is a real ability yo!

T_T

it makes your topdecked silly dorks into something awesome. I don't like that Polukranos is legendary vanilla with the upside of... shocking something? Maybe lightning striking a dude?

I do think Xenagos has a place, but I don't know where. I could cut some skarrg guildmages and GCR possibly.

Also with the Ragehammer deck, I think a merit to running ZTD over Hexproof plant is he CAN eat removal for your other dudes (raiders), but its not the best reason

LP, of the Fires
Tire Aficionado

Postby LP, of the Fires » Thu Sep 12, 2013 10:00 pm

Shocking a dude is a real ability when you run zero instant removal in addition to being an on the board trick your opponent has to play around in combat.

Patrick chapin

Link
Tire Aficionado

Postby Link » Thu Sep 12, 2013 10:01 pm

it is instant I suppose...

All right LP I'll give him a try.

-4 Deadbridge
-2 Skarrg guildmage

+3 Polukranos
+2 Xenagos

Link
Tire Aficionado

Postby Link » Fri Sep 13, 2013 7:11 am

holy shit hasting out Kalonian hydras is unbeatable and almost too powerful to pass up <________<

I will say that the Green god has been pretty terrible. Pretty much every game I've played with her where she swung I was already wining, because I had a board state that had 5 green symbols and a hammer that hasted her, and every game they had a spell that interacted with my board it pretty much read:
"Play this spell and 2-1 them because their god becomes useless 4 mana enchantment"

I mean hell GRUUL WAR CHANT would kick more ass than her

Good news is I get to fit Skarrg guild mage back into the list as a trample enabler who ISNT a pile of cocks

Link
Tire Aficionado

Postby Link » Sat Sep 14, 2013 5:43 pm

the full spoilers didn't give us much.

I think the 1/2 dork is better though, because it allows you to get red on curve with a T3 scry land:

T1 Mystic
T2 Voyaging Satyr
T3 Temple of Abandon, Tap satyr for it, play 4 drop with red.

He also doesnt die to elecktrickery, which is nice.

I think Gyre sage might belong in an aggressive Naya list that can evolve her with more things and plays Experiment 1... In the ramp version the only things that evolve her on T3 are:

0/3 Plant
T3 (aka mystic hand) 5/5.

Which is nowhere near as impressive as BTE+Loxodon Smiter evolving her and already having an ex. 1 on the table as a threat.

Might just need to run this Satyr for more consistent ramping

Link
Tire Aficionado

Postby Link » Sun Sep 15, 2013 6:12 pm

cutting domri.... not aggressive enough T_T:

But its for another card I love that I for some reason forgot about. Hellriders gone, so why the hell arent we relooking at GRUUL WAR CHANT

ZUGZ

ZUG

ZUG

Also lowering the curve. I figure this deck wants to overwhelm the opponent's resources.

1-1 removal looks bad against Burning Tree-Emissary and a T2 3/3 Experiment 1. Blockers look silly when I play out Gruul war chant.

And of course there's always the Hasted out Kalonian Hydra angle.... I just want the REST of the deck to not be embarassing.

This means probably cutting Raiders for Ogrebattledriver. This is doubling up on hammer (AND making more double red cards on the mana base), so I'm not 100$ sold on it. Following up a Battledriver with a BTE+War chant seems INSANE though. Its easier to T3 raiders though off elvish mystic, and I don't really want to run taplands since this is more of a curve out deck.
Which means sacrificing some power for consistency (and raiders mana cost is the sexy definition of consitency at least):

[deck]
4 Experiment One
4 Elvish Mystic
4 Burning-Tree Emissary
4 Sylvan Caryatid
4 Ghor-Clan Rampager
4 Rubblebelt Raiders/Ogre Battledriver
4 Kalonian Hydra
2 Scavenging Ooze

23 Lands
4 Stomping Ground
2 Temple of Abandon
9 Forest
8 Mountain

2 Gruul Warchant
2 Hammer of Purphorous
3 Mizzium Mortars[/deck]

Link
Tire Aficionado

Postby Link » Sun Sep 15, 2013 7:10 pm

testing bodes well.

Hammer with War chant out is a nasty, NASTY inevitability.

WHERES YOUR RAY OF REVELATION NOW?

Link
Tire Aficionado

Postby Link » Mon Sep 16, 2013 5:50 am

T2 hammer is nice every once in awhile, but its not really reliable.

Either Elvish mystic OR Experiment 1 has to go. I've like the experiment 1 openings, and I've found I wanted more things to chain BTE into. I also don't have anything other than the hammer to cast T2, so elvish is generally unnecessary (I rather just play a scry land T1 or Ex 1.).

The middle ground:
Satyr Hedonist.

Bashes when I need him to, ramps me on T3 to 5 mana when I need him, overloads a mortars pretty handily too.

Obviously in the Domri Rade deck Mystic has to stay, but giving the satyr a whirl and seeing how it shakes.

Link
Tire Aficionado

Postby Link » Mon Sep 16, 2013 7:13 am

hmmmmm

I tested Naya some and Rubblebelt raiders are just embarassing against midrange.

I'll scrap that list altogether...I think hyper ramp is the way to go if you're gonna stay R/g. Xenegaos, etc. play to its strengths. Hammer

This was the Naya list I ran that crushed:

[deck]
4 Experiment One
4 Burning-Tree Emissary
4 Loxodon Smiter
4 Deadbridge Goliath
4 Sylvan Caryatid
4 Boros Reckoner
4 Stormbreath Dragon
2 Scavenging Ooze

4 Domri Rade
3 Mizzium Mortars

23 Land
4 Stomping Ground
2 Mountain
2 Forest
4 Sacred Foundry
4 Temple Garden
4 Temple of Abandon
3 Temple of Triumph

SB: 2 Ruric Thar, the Unbowed
SB: 3 Boros Charm
SB: 3 Selesnya Charm
SB: 4 Unflinching Courage
SB: 3 Chandra, Pyromaster
[/deck]

pretty solid and proven Naya deck with good Sb options. The mana isn't that bad either, just a bit slow at times.

Link
Tire Aficionado

Postby Link » Mon Sep 16, 2013 7:45 am

Satyr Hedonist and clan defiance is hilarious burst.

Link
Tire Aficionado

Postby Link » Tue Sep 17, 2013 6:44 am

Adding Ember Swallower over Deadbridge/Polukranos for a whole new angle:

Ramp into shit fast then destroy EREY bodys lands:

[deck]Xenagos Gruul[/deck]

Mystic -> Gyre sage-> BTE+ Ember Swallower is one of the few ways to get off T5 Ember monstrous.

Also BTE and Xenagos just look like they were MADE for eachother. She also fixes for double red for Stormbreath and Ember.

This list does things with big mana and does fine things when your board is wiped (xenagos, skarrg and moutnains, etc,)

Need to gather up my Xenagos first, but this definitely feels like
the way to go for Ramp. Domri is still better in Naya fighting reckoners in testing it seems

Link
Tire Aficionado

Postby Link » Wed Sep 18, 2013 7:30 am

I'm not feeling the ramp deck in testing. I went back to a more beatdown midrange deck with Domri.... but I moved mortars to the side.

Boon Satyr was what the "Ragehammer" deck was looking for. I messed around with the early drops A LOT-between plant and hedonist and gyre sage and BTE....

I think Gyre Sage is actually the strongest. its a bad topdeck, but its not that slow in this meta it seems. Also it demands removal to open them up to being weaker to your T4 hydras. And if it does survive, BTE allows you to ramp into a T3 5-drop if you have mystic or T3 4 drop.

It doesn't have stormbreath, and its very easy to see just swapping out the hammer+warchant for mortars and the hydras with dragons to make this a different flavor of midrange, but I've found the Kalonian hydras speed as a finisher MUCH more preferable to the dragon. Swing twice and its game. If you have the hammer out, that can happen very
quickly. Mortars/dragon gives you more game in that its not dead card against aggro or G/w, but I feel like it makes you a little less dedicated a deck. Stormbreath just isnt the same clock that hellkite was

Its better versus midrange, but even then Hydra can get selesnya charmed and the dragon can't. Its the last bit of decision I need to make, but the rest of the choices I'm very pleased with.

[deck]Ragehammer[/deck]

Edit: hammer+ war chant has been better veruses the black decks, because fuck desecration demon. Versus aggro and midrange the mortars and stormbreath have generally been better.

Valdarith
Tire Aficionado

Postby Valdarith » Wed Sep 18, 2013 5:45 pm

I would think the War Chant would be more effective across all matchups than Hammer, especially on 23 land. Also, you have such large creatures that Mortars may not be necessary. I'd think bloodrushing Rampager, Domri Rade, and Gruul War Chant would be enough. I don't even think you need Hammer since you're running Scavenging Ooze AND Domri Rade.
Check out my stream! http://www.twitch.tv/valdarith

Link
Tire Aficionado

Postby Link » Wed Sep 18, 2013 6:16 pm

T2 Hammer has just been unbeatable though, even if its a long shot. Also hasting out Hydras stop a lot of decks who's outs are just mortars or w/e. With a hammer in play I just know I have this inevitability vs. a bunch of decks.

Its also just to go with the warchant as a super engine for those Jund-like decks that want to remove everything you have but sometimes have trouble winning afterward (especially with olivia huntmaster and thrag gnoe), you can continue spewing out threats.

I haven't missed mortars so far. I do like the philosophy of "the best defense is a good offense" so bloodrush and Domri have been solid enough removal.

Link
Tire Aficionado

Postby Link » Thu Sep 19, 2013 7:41 am

BBD's list on SCG got me thinking

I overlooked Polis Crusher's monstrous is 6, and that I really should be ramping into Ruric thar. Hmmm more testing it seems

I still think Ruric is too high for main deck, and also still haven't been a fun of Xenagos and they go hand it hand a bit.

I'm liking the haste hydra package the most tbh, maybe a polis crusher or two thrown in there for a mana sink that becomes a 7/7 trampler

LP, of the Fires
Tire Aficionado

Postby LP, of the Fires » Mon Sep 23, 2013 6:11 am

4 Elvish Mystic
2 Polukranos, World Eater
3 Xenagos, the Reveler
4 Kalonian Hydra
4 Zhur-Taa Druid
4 Burning-Tree Emissary
4 Stomping Ground
4 Temple of Abandon
4 Gruul Guildgate
7 Forest
3 Mountain
4 Sylvan Caryatid
4 Ember Swallower
2 Nykthos, Shrine to Nyx
4 Stormbreath Dragon
3 Garruk, Caller of Beasts

Patrick chapin

Link
Tire Aficionado

Postby Link » Mon Sep 23, 2013 7:02 am

I actually just got done with my playtest group as we organized all our pre-release shit.

I'm thinking Polis crusher is better than Polukranos. I like trample that much. I also tried out the Shrine.

ill do a better write-up tomorrow, but yeah Xenagos is the tits and Polukranos underperformed (actually lost a game with him as an 8/8)

@LP: That list has too much ramp and too many taplands for my liking. Also no Domris. not saying its bad, just its a different type of deck altogether then the Aggro Midrange one I've been testing (and should probably feature Ruric Thars somewhere). Just seems like too many games where they deal with everything else and youre left with 0/3s that cant kill and BTEs >_>

LP, of the Fires
Tire Aficionado

Postby LP, of the Fires » Mon Sep 23, 2013 7:17 am

Yeah, I'm in a random posting mood and this is the RG ramp deck me and my friends built. Turn 4 monstrous creatures actually just kills people.

But yeah, probably wrong thread.

Patrick chapin

Link
Tire Aficionado

Postby Link » Mon Sep 23, 2013 7:28 pm

If its red and green this is the thread for it my friend ;D

LP, of the Fires
Tire Aficionado

Postby LP, of the Fires » Mon Sep 23, 2013 9:56 pm

Yay. I also think your list is interesting fate. Domri's fight is mediocre until midgame in that list which is fine, but I like how you have an actual aggressive gameplan besides durdle for the first three turns like my deck.

And isn't boon satyr insane?

BOON NIGGA! We are currently trying to corner the market on them at our LGS. We have 5 so far, looking to own 12.

Patrick chapin

Link
Tire Aficionado

Postby Link » Tue Sep 24, 2013 2:16 am

I was just thinking today about how insane he was

I realized he's basically a 2-1 at 5 mana since you always get the dude (barring counterspells) with huge upside. at 3 mana he's still removal and in my list he can evolve gyre sage and works well with a follow up Scavenging ooze at 4 mana to make a 4/4

The only thing left adjusting in my deck is ZTD+Skarrg Guildmage vs. BTE+Gyre Sage. Gyre sage allows for some pretty awesome T3 plays and I like having a 2-drop that demands removal. BTE+Hammer is also always solid, as well as just in general accelerating our game plan.

ZTD is always what I want him to be though, and Skarrg Guildmage can be a sweet engine and also help my polukranos et al not get stonewalled by chumps (Im looking at you Elspeth and Heliod)

But yeah Boon Satyr is at like $3 now... easily a $10+ rare once the meta settles in ;D

Link
Tire Aficionado

Postby Link » Tue Sep 24, 2013 2:22 am

also I realzied that I have Xenagos in my list now and took out the Warchant (sadly). He was just too good not to run and was seriously a free win vs. verdict decks.

List looks like this now:
[deck]
30 Creatures
4 Elvish Mystic
4 Burning-Tree Emissary
4 Gyre Sage
4 Boon Satyr
4 Ghor-Clan Rampager
4 Kalonian Hydra
3 Polukranos, World-Eater
3 Scavenging Ooze

23 Land

6 Planeswalkers
4 Domri Rade
2 Xenagos, The Reveler

Ragehammer
1 Hammer of Purphorous

SB:
3 Mizzium Mortars
4 Magma Jet
3 Destructive Revelry
2 Ruric Thar, the Unbowed
1 Ranger's Guile
2 Chandra, Pyromaster[/deck]

Link
Tire Aficionado

Postby Link » Tue Sep 24, 2013 6:26 am

haven't missed gyre sage in testing yet vs. G/W U/B and Esper, Grixis, Mono Red, UR.

Boon Satyr has been a "extend hand" card every single match XD
Last edited by Link on Tue Sep 24, 2013 6:45 am, edited 1 time in total.

Link
Tire Aficionado

Postby Link » Tue Sep 24, 2013 6:45 am

Aside from being more fragile to elecktrickery and anger of the gods, I've found this to be a solid balance of Ramp vs. things to do with it LP:

You can always make the ZTD Caryatids, but I've grown fond of the Gruul elf >_>b

[deck]Warriors and Dragons[/deck]

this is probably the deck I'd take to states if I can assemble it in time

No idea what the fuck happened to the formatting I did it
right....
Last edited by Link on Sat Sep 28, 2013 6:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Yarpus
Tire Aficionado

Postby Yarpus » Tue Sep 24, 2013 9:57 am

That looks beastly. Well, I'd consider some amount of Mizzium Mortars main.
Probably -1 Polukranos, -1 Scavenging Ooze, -2 Domri, +4 Mohtah.
Besides of that, congrats. Nice brew redbro.

Link
Tire Aficionado

Postby Link » Wed Sep 25, 2013 3:30 pm

I could be down for adding the fulll boat of mortars, especially early on in the meta where domri can be bad against aggro (they rampage/seles charm over all my fatties then domri just sits there and maybe draws a card) but I think cutting down on -2 Ruric Thar -2 Domri is better because it lowers the curve for early meta as well

Return to “Archives”