[Deck] Burn

Discussions about the Legacy Format

Moderator: Mcdonalds

Valdarith
Tire Aficionado
(View: POSTS_VIEWTOPIC /POSTS_VIEWTOPIC_INTO)

Postby Valdarith » Thu Sep 04, 2014 4:21 am

Foil Searing Blaze just spiked over the weekend in response to the Modern GP win. I bought mine at $2 a pop and now they are $6.
Check out my stream! http://www.twitch.tv/valdarith

TYTONK
Newcomer

Postby TYTONK » Fri Sep 05, 2014 1:40 pm

My last game went like this:
Hand: Goblin Guide, Goblin Guide, Fireblast, Chain Lightning, Pyrostatic Pillar, Flame Rift, Mountain
Him: Bayou
Me: Draw Mountain, Goblin Guide, swing
Him: Cavern, name elf, GSZ for Llanowar Elf
Me: Draw Guide, Goblin Guide, Goblin Guide, swing, no blocks, he's at 12
Him: Gaea's Cradle, NO for Progenitus
Me: Draw Lightning Bolt, swing, block, he's at 8, Flame Rift, Fireblast, gg with 6 damage and a Pyrostatic Pilar in hand.

Turn 3 win facing a Progenitus. Feels good, man.
Current deck list please - thanks!

Khaospawn
Khaospawn's beautiful and unique title

Postby Khaospawn » Fri Sep 05, 2014 2:15 pm

Wow, contribute much?
In a pinch, Khaos' beard can help turn this around.
I rarely skip a Khaospawn wall of text because I know there is always piss at the end of the rainbow.

BlakLanner
Tire Aficionado

Postby BlakLanner » Fri Sep 05, 2014 4:06 pm

I would assume he is running very close to the standard "fechfull" list. The only ones that are deviating from that are the budget players and the Stifle-averse one (me). Even I might be moving away from it. Searing Blaze is looking better and better every time I play on MODO.
DCI Rules Advisor
MTGO/Cockatrice: BlakLanner
My YouTube Channel
BlakLanner is the boogeyman created to scare the little Standard players.
Currently Playing
Standard: [mana]RWU[/mana]Jeskai
Modern: [mana]RWG[/mana]Burn, [mana]GRWUR[/mana]Slivers
Legacy: [mana]R[/mana]Burn
EDH: [mana]RWGUB[/mana]Sliver Overlord, [mana]UW[/mana]Geist of Saint Traft (Tiny Leaders)
Current decklists are posted here

Valdarith
Tire Aficionado

Postby Valdarith » Fri Sep 05, 2014 4:31 pm

Searing Blaze because Delver, Delver everywhere.

hamfactorial
Tire Aficionado

Postby hamfactorial » Fri Sep 05, 2014 7:19 pm

My last game went like this:
Hand: Goblin Guide, Goblin Guide, Fireblast, Chain Lightning, Pyrostatic Pillar, Flame Rift, Mountain
Him: Bayou
Me: Draw Mountain, Goblin Guide, swing
Him: Cavern, name elf, GSZ for Llanowar Elf
Me: Draw Guide, Goblin Guide, Goblin Guide, swing, no blocks, he's at 12
Him: Gaea's Cradle, NO for Progenitus
Me: Draw Lightning Bolt, swing, block, he's at 8, Flame Rift, Fireblast, gg with 6 damage and a Pyrostatic Pilar in hand.

Turn 3 win facing a Progenitus. Feels good, man.

BlakLanner
Tire Aficionado

Postby BlakLanner » Fri Sep 05, 2014 7:43 pm

Searing Blaze because Delver, Delver everywhere.
And Stoneforge. And Infect. Few Miracles players online. Weaker against Storm but I can compensate for that.
DCI Rules Advisor
My YouTube Channel
Currently Playing
EDH: [mana]RWGUB[/mana]Sliver Overlord, [mana]UW[/mana]Geist of Saint Traft (Tiny Leaders)

BlakLanner
Tire Aficionado

Postby BlakLanner » Sat Sep 06, 2014 9:50 pm

Took MDU's account to MOCS Season 9 Finals. Managed to sneak into the Top 8 but got beaten by someone who beat me in the swiss. I will have a more detailed report ready when I can view the replays to confirm my notes.
DCI Rules Advisor
My YouTube Channel
Currently Playing

Khaospawn

Postby Khaospawn » Sat Sep 06, 2014 10:03 pm

I rarely skip a Khaospawn wall of text because I know there is always piss at the end of the rainbow.

BlakLanner
Tire Aficionado

Postby BlakLanner » Sat Sep 06, 2014 11:11 pm

Mocs Season 9 Finals Tournament Report – Top 8
117 Players, 7 Rounds
[deck]Fetchless Burn[/deck]

Round 1: Dragrage, Mono Green (2-1)
I thought this was a Standard deck at first until he played Leatherback Baloth. This deck actually has some issues with multiple large attackers in succession. I made it out of game 1 with a decent draw. Game 2 saw me never see my second land. Game 3, I Searing Blooded his 1-drop, Chain Lightninged his 2-drop and then dropped an Eidolon and trapped him under it.
1-0 (2-1)

Round 2: ChrisaoSilva, UWR Delver (2-1)
I played this guy several
times in the practice room as a warmup before the tournament so I had an idea as to what he was on. Game 1 was another 1 land keep and drawing a lot of 2 mana spells. He played Stoneforge, True-Name, then Jitte with equip. In Game 2 I mulled to 6, he went to 5. He played a turn 2 Stoneforge and Forced my only kill spell but I topdecked a Smash to Smithereens the turn after he dropped the Batterskull and it was enough. Game 3 was pretty epic. It started with Delver vs Goblin Guide. My Guide gets bolted and he plays Meddling Mage on Price of Progress (1 in hand). I drop an Eidolon that trades with his Mage on his next attack. I drop a second Eidolon and it eats a Swords. He plays another Mage on Price of Progress which eats a Chain Lightning. He then plays Stoneforge finding Jitte. At this point, I am at 7 facing Stoneforge, flipped Delver, unflipped Delver. His Delver flips showing Force and he tries to play and equip Jitte. I drop my Price and it sneaks through.
2-0 (4-2)
Round 3: TKC55,
Miracles (2-1)
I open with 2 Devils. He lets one live. He opens with Plains, Plains, Top. I play an Eidolon and he flips his Top showing Terminus. Sulfuric Vortex gets Forces and he plays Counterbalance. Back to back Entreat the Angels finishes me. Game 2 had my Eidolon Forced into a turn 3 Counter-Top. I somehow get a Guide through and start hitting him. To stop a Vortex, he taps his top to get a Swan Song, but has to shuffle the top away to cast it. I manage to beat him down and force through the last few points of burn damage. Game 3 had my Guide eat a Swords. My turn 3 Eidolon forces my opponent to Clique himself in response. He establishes Counter-Top next turn. My Vortex gets hit with a Swan Song and the token dies to the Explosives he had on top. He establishes Counter-Top at 3 life. My subsequent suspended Rift Bolt has him searching frantically for a three. He fails but finds a Snapcaster for the Swan Song. That leaves him open to a topdecked Flame Rift.
3-0 (6-3)

Round 4:
pacoelflaco, Burn (0-2)
This was a short match. He was on the “fetchful” version with Lavamancer, which is very good for him in a Burn mirror. I get Eidolon both games but he only gets hit with one trigger in the whole match as I eat a lot of damage from my Flame Rifts and multiple Fireblasts from him.
3-1 (6-5)

Round 5: dav5037, Burn (2-1)
He had main deck Searing Blood and that made Game 1 a close game that wouldn’t otherwise have been. Game 2 has me stall on one land again and 1 Guide vs his 2. Mulled to 6 in Game 3 but he lets a Devil live probably thinking he would block and shoot with the Lavamancer he played on the turn after. He realized he can’t and it gets a hit in. I finish with Fireblast.
4-1 (8-6)

Round 6: CharlieTheBananaKing, Elves (2-0)
I play a Guide on turn 1, kill his Dryad Arbor and then play “Kill the Symbiote” for a few turns while I hit him with the Guide and a Devil he let live thinking he would be able to eternally block it. In Game 2, he mulliganed to 3 and watched
me go Eidolon into Searing Blood his Dryad Arbor. He understandably concedes.
5-1 (10-6)

Round 7: DNIWE, BUG Delver (1-2)
Game 1 was a traditional affair where Guide fights Deathrite and my Eidolon gets Dazed. He hits with Goyf and I finish with Rift and Price of Progress. Game 2 threw me for one hell of a loop. He didn’t do much on the first two turns while I play a few spells. Then, on turn 3, he Show and Tells into Iona. I play another turn or to for more information and then concede. Game 3 was a bit of a longer affair. He puts in a Goyf a few turns in while I play around a lot of counterspells and get him down to 4 when he casts another Show and Tell for Iona. I put a Vortex in but that just means he is at 2 life when he swings for lethal next turn.
5-2 (11-7)

At this point, the math says that I am eliminated from Top 8. 2 players at 6-0 and 12 at 5-1 should mean that both 6-0 are in, win or lose, and all 6 of the winners at 5-1 are in. I wait it out to see how I place and find the
miracle of miracles: I made it in as the 8th seed somehow!

Top 8: pacoelflaco, Burn (0-2)
Game 1 had us both mull to 5. I kept 4 lands and a Rift Bolt hoping to simply draw action each turn. I didn’t. Game 2 had my Devil eat a Bolt and then we trade shots but he draws 2 Eidolons that I have to kill to let him get a bit ahead and then double Fireblasts me.

The Vexing Devils have to go at this point. I cast it 9 times and it was immediately removed 6 of them. People have learned how to deal with it and we cannot afford that inefficiency. Losing Devil means that adding fetch lands is next, since Searing Blaze will probably have to come in for them unless I decide that maining the 3 Searing Blood in my side is enough. All the losses due to mana screw probably means adding a 19th land in the last slot. I can put Pyroblast in the sideboard in those slots as they would have saved me in several games.
DCI Rules Advisor
My YouTube Channel
Currently Playing

Khaospawn

Postby Khaospawn » Sat Sep 06, 2014 11:17 pm

I told you about the Devils!

Khaospawn

Postby Khaospawn » Sat Sep 06, 2014 11:20 pm

But I don't want to rub salt in the wounds. Good job on the Top 8! And you learned a lot from this.

:jam:

BlakLanner
Tire Aficionado

Postby BlakLanner » Sat Sep 06, 2014 11:25 pm

This is the first time they bit me so hard. Eating Swords tends to happen but they just ate too many Bolts. This deck is not in the market for R: Gain 3 life. Your opponent pays R and discards a Bolt. I had much larger concerns about the land issue. I will decide if I want 3 Blood or add the fetches over the coming days once I reflect more on this.
DCI Rules Advisor
My YouTube Channel
Currently Playing

magicdownunder
Tire Aficionado

Postby magicdownunder » Sun Sep 07, 2014 2:36 am

Top8'ing a MOCS level event is huge since you'll rarely find another event as competitive, so very well done Blaklanner :smileup:.

I swear Pacoelflaco should join our forum, he is a solid multi-format burn player.

Enjoy Pauper, Standard, Momir, Modern and Music? then visit my channel: Video Link

BlakLanner
Tire Aficionado

Postby BlakLanner » Sun Sep 07, 2014 2:38 am

I am very interested to see his deck when they post the lists. I saw a few strange things and they just might work for us.
DCI Rules Advisor
My YouTube Channel
Currently Playing

magicdownunder
Tire Aficionado

Postby magicdownunder » Sun Sep 07, 2014 3:50 pm

I am very interested to see his deck when they post the lists. I saw a few strange things and they just might work for us.
Any idea when they'll be up? Also who and what won in the end?

P.S. I'll have all your video up sometime today, they're a tad hard to watch since you can't control the replay speeds in V4 :sweat:

Enjoy Pauper, Standard, Momir, Modern and Music? then visit my channel: Video Link

magicdownunder
Tire Aficionado

Postby magicdownunder » Mon Sep 08, 2014 12:19 am

The top32 list are up (source) pacoelflaco went 7-0.

BlakLanner
Tire Aficionado

Postby BlakLanner » Mon Sep 08, 2014 12:32 am

Lantto won the whole thing if I remember right. Makes Elves the winner this round.

http://www.mtggoldfish.com/deck/246162#online
Paco's deck had 4 Lavamancer, 1 Devil with Dragon's Claw and a lone Forked Bolt in the side. Most interesting.

The BUG Delver deck with the full Sneak and Show into Iona package in the sideboard is certainly interesting.

There are a few ways to alter replay speed. The left button is a sped up replay. The middle button moves from action to action and is probably the best for commenting on replays. The right button fast forwards through so much it is pretty much useless. I think it just goes really fast through each turn. Remember that we still get to view the game/chat logs to help keep track as well.

Let me know if you have any questions about the lines of play I took. Most of my
turns were pretty straightforward.
DCI Rules Advisor
My YouTube Channel
Currently Playing

BlakLanner
Tire Aficionado

Postby BlakLanner » Mon Sep 08, 2014 4:25 am

[deck=pacoelflaco's Burn]Creatures
4 Eidolon of the Great Revel
4 Goblin Guide
4 Grim Lavamancer
1 Vexing Devil

Spells
4 Chain Lightning
4 Lava Spike
4 Rift Bolt
4 Fireblast
4 Lightning Bolt
4 Price of Progress
4 Searing Blaze
Lands
11 Mountain
4 Arid Mesa
4 Scalding Tarn
Sideboard
3 Red Elemental Blast
3 Relic of Progenitus
2 Smash to Smithereens
2 Dragon's Claw
2 Ashen Rider
2 Pithing Needle
1 Forked Bolt[/deck]

An interesting version of Burn. It looks to be very well positioned for the online meta, which is heavy with Elves, Delver, Stoneforge, and Burn. I am not sure that I would take this 75 on paper when Dredge and Show and Tell are far more common to see. I think that explains my unease about the list, as I build for paper and then port online.

Things I like:
19 Lands: I decided to change to this before seeing the list. Always good to see
other successful decks do this as confirmation.
Forked Bolt: This card very likely slaughters DnT. It is a neat little utility spell for all the X/1s that run around.
1 Vexing Devil: Still a pet card even if I just decided to cut it.
Dragon's Claw: If you know you are going to be facing a lot of burn, this will win you the mirror.

Things I am uneasy about:
4 Grim Lavamancer: Seems awfully heavy even for the expected meta. Maybe shave one or two.
Ashen Rider: Personal preference. It is stronger vs Omni-Tell than Ensnaring Bridge but Bridge can come in for other matchups.
0 Flame Rift: Maybe a space concern. It might just be because I face enough Leyline in paper to be leery of having fewer cards that get through it. Then again, I played without Rift with few complaints before my Marauders got the axe.

Things I hate:
2 Pithing Needle: I have no idea why this is here. Our cards have to either do damage or basically make our opponent unable to win. It might be for Miracles to
turn off Top but good luck sneaking that through.
0 Sulfuric Vortex: This card is such a good way to stop incremental life gain and deal periodic damage when our hand gets light. Perhaps the combination of Lavamancers and Smash give him enough protection against the likes of Jitte, Batterskull and Deathrite but I lean on the card heavily to help fight it in game 1s.
DCI Rules Advisor
My YouTube Channel
Currently Playing

magicdownunder
Tire Aficionado

Postby magicdownunder » Mon Sep 08, 2014 5:42 am

[quote="BlakLanner » Sun Sep 07, 2014 9:11 am"]Mocs Season 9 Finals Tournament Report – Top 8
117 Players, 7 Rounds
[deck]Fetchless Burn[/deck]

Round 1: Dragrage, Mono Green (2-1)
I thought this was a Standard deck at first until he played Leatherback Baloth. This deck actually has some issues with multiple large attackers in succession. I made
it out of game 1 with a decent draw. Game 2 saw me never see my second land. Game 3, I Searing Blooded his 1-drop, Chain Lightninged his 2-drop and then dropped an Eidolon and trapped him under it.
1-0 (2-1)

Round 2: ChrisaoSilva, UWR Delver (2-1)
I played this guy several times in the practice room as a warmup before the tournament so I had an idea as to what he was on. Game 1 was another 1 land keep and drawing a lot of 2 mana spells. He played Stoneforge, True-Name, then Jitte with equip. In Game 2 I mulled to 6, he went to 5. He played a turn 2 Stoneforge and Forced my only kill spell but I topdecked a Smash to Smithereens the turn after he dropped the Batterskull and it was enough. Game 3 was pretty epic. It started with Delver vs Goblin Guide. My Guide gets bolted and he plays Meddling Mage on Price of Progress (1 in hand). I drop an Eidolon that trades with his Mage on
his next attack. I drop a second Eidolon and it eats a Swords. He plays another Mage on Price of Progress which eats a Chain Lightning. He then plays Stoneforge finding Jitte. At this point, I am at 7 facing Stoneforge, flipped Delver, unflipped Delver. His Delver flips showing Force and he tries to play and equip Jitte. I drop my Price and it sneaks through.
2-0 (4-2)
Round 3: TKC55, Miracles (2-1)
I open with 2 Devils. He lets one live. He opens with Plains, Plains, Top. I play an Eidolon and he flips his Top showing Terminus. Sulfuric Vortex gets Forces and he plays Counterbalance. Back to back Entreat the Angels finishes me. Game 2 had my Eidolon Forced into a turn 3 Counter-Top. I somehow get a Guide through and start hitting him. To stop a Vortex, he taps his top to get a Swan Song, but has to shuffle the top away to cast it. I manage to beat him down and force
through the last few points of burn damage. Game 3 had my Guide eat a Swords. My turn 3 Eidolon forces my opponent to Clique himself in response. He establishes Counter-Top next turn. My Vortex gets hit with a Swan Song and the token dies to the Explosives he had on top. He establishes Counter-Top at 3 life. My subsequent suspended Rift Bolt has him searching frantically for a three. He fails but finds a Snapcaster for the Swan Song. That leaves him open to a topdecked Flame Rift.
3-0 (6-3)

Round 4: pacoelflaco, Burn (0-2)
This was a short match. He was on the “fetchful” version with Lavamancer, which is very good for him in a Burn mirror. I get Eidolon both games but he only gets hit with one trigger in the whole match as I eat a lot of damage from my Flame Rifts and multiple Fireblasts from him.
3-1 (6-5)

Round 5: dav5037, Burn (2-1)
He had main deck Searing Blood and that made Game 1 a close game that wouldn’t otherwise have been. Game 2 has me stall on one land again and 1 Guide vs his 2. Mulled to 6 in Game 3 but he lets a Devil live probably thinking he would block and shoot with the Lavamancer he played on the turn after. He realized he can’t and it gets a hit in. I finish with Fireblast.
4-1 (8-6)

Round 6: CharlieTheBananaKing, Elves (2-0)
I play a Guide on turn 1, kill his Dryad Arbor and then play “Kill the Symbiote” for a few turns while I hit him with the Guide and a Devil he let live thinking he would be able to eternally block it. In Game 2, he mulliganed to 3 and watched me go Eidolon into Searing Blood his Dryad Arbor. He understandably concedes.
5-1 (10-6)

Round 7: DNIWE, BUG Delver (1-2)
Game 1 was a traditional affair where Guide fights Deathrite and my Eidolon gets Dazed. He hits with Goyf and I finish with Rift and Price of Progress. Game 2 threw me for one hell of a loop. He didn’t do much on the first two turns while I play a few spells. Then, on turn 3, he Show and Tells into Iona. I play another turn or to for more information and then concede. Game 3 was a bit of a longer affair. He puts in a Goyf a few turns in while I play around a lot of counterspells and get him down to 4 when he casts another Show and Tell for Iona. I put a Vortex in but that just means he is at 2 life when he swings for lethal next turn.
5-2 (11-7)

At this point, the math says that I am eliminated from Top 8. 2 players at 6-0 and 12 at 5-1 should mean that both 6-0 are in, win or lose, and all 6 of the winners at 5-1 are in. I wait it out to see how I place and find the miracle of miracles: I
made it in as the 8th seed somehow!

Top 8: pacoelflaco, Burn (0-2)
Game 1 had us both mull to 5. I kept 4 lands and a Rift Bolt hoping to simply draw action each turn. I didn’t. Game 2 had my Devil eat a Bolt and then we trade shots but he draws 2 Eidolons that I have to kill to let him get a bit ahead and then double Fireblasts me.

The Vexing Devils have to go at this point. I cast it 9 times and it was immediately removed 6 of them. People have learned how to deal with it and we cannot afford that inefficiency. Losing Devil means that adding fetch lands is next, since Searing Blaze will probably have to come in for them unless I decide that maining the 3 Searing Blood in my side is enough. All the losses due to mana screw probably means adding a 19th land in the last slot. I can put Pyroblast in the sideboard in those slots as they would have saved me in several games.[/
quote]

I attached the replays with your report :smileup:

P.S. My only complaint with Ashen Rider vs Bridge is that even if you do resolve bridge if you can't cast spells you can't win...
Last edited by magicdownunder on Mon Sep 08, 2014 1:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.

neo2381
Newcomer

Postby neo2381 » Mon Sep 08, 2014 1:01 pm

Watched the videos last night! I gotta say: very well done!!

Valdarith
Tire Aficionado

Postby Valdarith » Mon Sep 08, 2014 4:03 pm

If Elves and Delver are such a large part of the meta, I'd want eight Searing effects in my 75.

BlakLanner
Tire Aficionado

Postby BlakLanner » Mon Sep 08, 2014 4:40 pm

Eight might be overkill. I could see maybe 6. You don't want any against Storm or Miracles which is the other half of the meta.
DCI Rules Advisor
My YouTube Channel
Currently Playing

LaZerBurn
Tire Aficionado

Postby LaZerBurn » Mon Sep 08, 2014 9:49 pm

Inspirational performance BlakLanner! Thanks for sorting the vids MDU :)
Thanks to NerdBoyWonder for the awesome sig :)

Purp
Tire Aficionado

Postby Purp » Mon Sep 08, 2014 10:01 pm

As someone who played against SneakNShow a lot at the Invi, Ensnaring Birdge was good. But if you don't have a redblast for their Echoing Truth, you lose. I like Ashen Rider in that it literally kills whatever they play.

yurp yurp

BlakLanner
Tire Aficionado

Postby BlakLanner » Mon Sep 08, 2014 10:55 pm

It is a classic case of focused silver bullet vs generic hate card. Ashen is a better answer if only needed to beat Show and Tell. Bridge is a little less effective but is useful against Sneak Attack and helps against Delver, Elves, and Post. Choose accordingly based on what you need.
DCI Rules Advisor
My YouTube Channel
Currently Playing

Mcdonalds
Tire Aficionado

Postby Mcdonalds » Tue Sep 09, 2014 5:15 am

Alternatively, playing confusion in the ranks to both confuse and infuriate your opponent is an acceptable alternative

GoblinWarchief

Postby GoblinWarchief » Wed Sep 10, 2014 4:33 pm

confusion in the ranks was a card i played in goblins .... its main merit over ashen rider is that it triggers twice, so it nullifies the eventual cunning wish--> stifle line of play.
In burn though, you are not guaranteed to have a creature in play by turn 2-3, so if you drop confusion, they drop a fatty and you don't have creatures in play it is worthless.

magicdownunder
Tire Aficionado

Postby magicdownunder » Mon Sep 15, 2014 7:28 am

Blaklanner: MD 3x Searing Blood Yay or Nay? From my understanding the MUs where price is bad Blood is usually good right? or should I just follow the herd and run 3x Grim MD?

(I'm trying to decide what I'm going to replace VD for).

Khaospawn

Postby Khaospawn » Mon Sep 15, 2014 8:33 am

Run Grim Lavamancer dude.

magicdownunder
Tire Aficionado

Postby magicdownunder » Mon Sep 15, 2014 8:56 am

If I run Grim I'll have to run fetches, don't fetches make the mirror MU extremely painful? Kinda make me win Dragon Claw and its ilk

P.S. Khaos will you be playing Legacy burn online with us? Its quite cheap and after watching Blak performance also load of fun.

BlakLanner
Tire Aficionado

Postby BlakLanner » Mon Sep 15, 2014 12:29 pm

The Searing Bloods are working as expected. They are dead in a few matchups but that is a price I have to pay right now since I removed the Devils.

There is nothing wrong with using fetch lands. I choose not to because of Stifle, not because of the mirror. The popularity of Stifle is waning, so I may actually add fetches at some point. This would let me change the Bloods for Blazes and add a GL or two. Dragon's Claw would be fine to add to your SB if burn starts to move up in popularity and we start playing in more mirrors.

Edit - A thought I decided to add on my way to work. Some people seem to be looking for the "definitive" burn list. This is flawed thinking. While many of our deck choices are predetermined (much like Mono-Blue in the last year's Standard), we still have to adapt to how the meta shifts. Our sideboard and the flex slots that we have likely will have to change from month to month.
My use of Vexing Devil is a key example of this. I have been using them successfully since they were printed but only recently have they become a liability. The recent explosion of Infect decks may require us to shift as well, perhaps going as deep as Sudden Shock if they start getting out of hand.
DCI Rules Advisor
My YouTube Channel
Currently Playing

Jack
Tire Aficionado

Postby Jack » Mon Sep 15, 2014 1:24 pm

I'll play Barbarian Ring before I play Sudden Shock.
Sig by NBW.

BlakLanner
Tire Aficionado

Postby BlakLanner » Mon Sep 15, 2014 1:28 pm

Sudden Shock would be one hell of a trump card because of Split Second. They wouldn't be able to rely on pump spells to protect their creatures and would have to rely on a slower game plan in the face of open mana. That being said, I would only advise such a change if Infect becomes a major part of the meta.
DCI Rules Advisor
My YouTube Channel
Currently Playing

magicdownunder
Tire Aficionado

Postby magicdownunder » Mon Sep 15, 2014 2:00 pm

I know Khaospawn's thought - I personally prefer spells over creature what are your thoughts on Grim vs Blood/Blaze Blak?

BlakLanner
Tire Aficionado

Postby BlakLanner » Mon Sep 15, 2014 2:12 pm

If you are running fetches, there is little harm in running 2 Lavamancers. It is damage/removal that doesn't cost us cards from our hand. It is also a little bit easier to use when doming an opponent and it also gives our opponent something they need to remove aside from Eidolon. Fetchless, I would avoid him as it is much harder to feed him properly.
DCI Rules Advisor
My YouTube Channel
Currently Playing

Valdarith
Tire Aficionado

Postby Valdarith » Mon Sep 15, 2014 2:44 pm

I'm a 3-4 Lavaman kind of guy with 3-4 maindeck Searing effects (depending on how many Lavaman are in the deck). But my Legacy experience is VERY limited so take it for what it's worth. That said, I know PSully is a big fan of Lavaman as well.

Khaospawn

Postby Khaospawn » Mon Sep 15, 2014 4:33 pm

With decks like Elves, Delver, and D&T out there, Lavamancer is well positioned IMO

Khaospawn

Postby Khaospawn » Mon Sep 15, 2014 4:33 pm

But play Blaze too

:shrug:

BlakLanner
Tire Aficionado

Postby BlakLanner » Mon Sep 15, 2014 4:59 pm

Blaze with fetches, Blood without.
DCI Rules Advisor
My YouTube Channel
Currently Playing

Return to “Underground Sea (Legacy)”