[Primer] Boros Burn

Threads from Standard formats since passed.

Moderators: Kaitscralt, zemanjaski, Christen

Elricity
Tire Aficionado
(View: POSTS_VIEWTOPIC /POSTS_VIEWTOPIC_INTO)

Postby Elricity » Fri Nov 22, 2013 5:23 pm

Looks fairly solid but yeah, a mostly control meta is not a great place to bring a devotion deck.

About Blind Obedience, if you're talking about bringing in 3 and having it mana sink, you probably need to go to 22 lands. I usually don't have mana floating at least.

Tyrael
Tire Aficionado

Postby Tyrael » Fri Nov 22, 2013 5:38 pm

I have actually thought about sideboarding fanatic and bringing him out vs midrange, I don't know what to replace him with though

Signature by NerdBoyWonder

Currently playing/testing:
:symub: :symw: Control :symub: :symw:

InflatablePie

Postby InflatablePie » Fri Nov 22, 2013 10:53 pm

I think I'm going to try this out at FNM tonight and I might run it at my GPT tomorrow.

I'm running this:
[deck]
//Creature (9)
4 Chandra's Phoenix
4 Rakdos Cackler
1 Young Pyromancer

//Enchantment (4)
4 Chained to the Rocks

//Instant (23)
4 Boros Charm
4 Lightning Strike
4 Magma Jet
4 Shock
4 Skullcrack
3 Warleader's Helix

//Sorcery (3)
1 Flames of the Firebrand
2 Toil // Trouble

//Land (21)
9 Mountain
4 Sacred Foundry
4 Temple of Silence
4 Temple of Triumph

Sideboard
3 Anger of the Gods
4 Boros Reckoner
2 Mizzium Mortars
2 Spark Trooper
2 Toil // Trouble
2 Young Pyromancer[/deck]
with some changes.

First off, I'm taking out a Shock for a land (so carrying over the 3/1 Shock/Flames split from
PyroWhite). I like having 22 for a deck that would (ideally) like to hit 3-4 mana often. I'd rather scry help with flooding than help with trying to draw land. I'm tempted to even take out Flames completely for a MB Pyro to free up another SB slot, but I kinda like having access to a Flames.

Second, I don't know if the deck wants 3x Pyro in the 75. I'm definitely dropping one from the SB. Also dropping an Anger. I still want access to two, because even though it hits our own stuff we're running significantly less creatures and it could really come in handy against BTE-red on the play (Cackler into BTE into BTE or FFS on the draw hurts; Reckoner alone won't always save you there). Considering cutting one Reckoner, even, but idk.

Third, I think I'd rather run a 3/3 split of 'crack and Trouble (taking a Trouble out of SB and switching in the 'crack), as I'm expecting more midrange than Esper and it seems better there, and Trouble could still be good against mono-black (other relevant-Skullcrack
matchup).

So the new SB is [4x Reckoner/2x Mortars/2x Trooper/1x Toil&Trouble/1x Skullcrack/2x Anger of the Gods/1x Pyro]. Unsure of where to go from here with 2 slots left.

Probably taking 2 one-ofs:
- Young Pyro
- Anger
- Wear/Tear
- Assemble (only if I'm running the 22 land)
- Peak Eruption
- Mortars
- Blind Obedience
- Mutavault (if I take out a land for a Shock and run 21 anyway)

[edit2] disregard. Running 3x Pyro in the side, running a Viashino Firstblade main.

Is 4 Chained MB safe? I almost want to toss one in the SB for something else because I hate it being a dead card against Control.
If you don't know how to lie, then how do you know if you're being lied to?

The answer? Use a gun. And if that don't work... use more gun.

Elricity
Tire Aficionado

Postby Elricity » Fri Nov 22, 2013 11:41 pm

I think I'm going to try this out at FNM tonight and I might run it at my GPT tomorrow.

I'm running this:

with some changes.

First off, I'm taking out a Shock for a land (so carrying over the 3/1 Shock/Flames split from PyroWhite). I like having 22 for a deck that would (ideally) like to hit 3-4 mana often. I'd rather scry help with flooding than help with trying to draw land. I'm tempted to even take out Flames completely for a MB Pyro to free up another SB slot, but I kinda like having access to a Flames.

Second, I don't know if the deck wants 3x Pyro in the 75. I'm definitely dropping one from the SB. Also dropping an Anger. I still want access to two, because even though it hits our own stuff we're running significantly less creatures and
it could really come in handy against BTE-red on the play (Cackler into BTE into BTE or FFS on the draw hurts; Reckoner alone won't always save you there). Considering cutting one Reckoner, even, but idk.

Third, I think I'd rather run a 3/3 split of 'crack and Trouble (taking a Trouble out of SB and switching in the 'crack), as I'm expecting more midrange than Esper and it seems better there, and Trouble could still be good against mono-black (other relevant-Skullcrack matchup).

So the new SB is [4x Reckoner/2x Mortars/2x Trooper/1x Toil&Trouble/1x Skullcrack/2x Anger of the Gods/1x Pyro]. Unsure of where to go from here with 2 slots left.

Probably taking 2 one-ofs:
- Young Pyro
- Anger
- Wear/Tear
- Assemble (only if I'm running the 22 land)
- Peak Eruption
- Mortars
- Blind Obedience
- Mutavault (if I take out a land for a Shock and run 21 anyway)

[edit2] disregard. Running 3x Pyro in the side, running a Viashino Firstblade main.

nIs 4 Chained MB safe? I almost want to toss one in the SB for something else because I hate it being a dead card against Control.
Good luck, sound like you're making so many changes that I won't have much experience with your list but I will say that, given my build, 4 chained usually isn't an issue with control because everything you have kills them and you want cheap outs vs problem children elsewhere to finish the deal. That said, I suppose you could move one to sb.

Viashino Firstblade is...an option...I guess? Why...shouldn't that be Ash Zealot if you want another creature? :confused2:

Personally, I think you're going to get crushed playing an untested deck but please prove me wrong!

dpaine88
Tire Aficionado

Postby dpaine88 » Sat Nov 23, 2013 12:20 am

Trying Z's list with 1 YP$ out at FNM.

THen tomorrow.....the SCG OPEN baby!!!!

If the deck feels good, I am def running it, reallllly seems well positioned to take it down and make everyone sad about all their spot removal =)
Burn baby burn!

F.I.A

Postby F.I.A » Sat Nov 23, 2013 3:07 am

Tested Blind Obedience in place of [card]Warleader's Helix[/card], and I like how it turns out. As long as you haven't been drawing into lands for the whole game (Yeah, some luck there), it takes only 4 casts to give you the same benefit of a Helix. Tapping creatures as they enter also allow your creatures to score a few hit before letting your burn finish the job.

Curious things about Blind Obedience:
- Extort is a stack of its own. Therefore, when you cast a spell, extort goes on stack and the priority pass to your opponent. If they are to respond with something like Skullcrack, you can choose not to pay the 1 mana (Still worth it for the life loss, though).
- Apparently, god cards have some weird interactions with it. There is one game where a guy's Purphoros came into play untapped with devotion online.
I suppose it enters into battlefield, then check if it has enough devotion to be a creature.

[deck]Creature
4 Rakdos Cackler
4 Chandra's Phoenix
2 Young Pyromancer

Spells
4 Chained to the Rocks
4 Shock
4 Skullcrack
4 Magma Jet
4 Lightning Strike
4 Boros Charm
2 Toil // Trouble
2 Blind Obedience

Lands
4 Temple of Triumph
4 Temple of Silence
4 Sacred Foundry
10 Mountain

Sidedish
2 Young Pyromancer
4 Boros Reckoner
3 Peak Eruption
2 Toil // Trouble
2 Mizzium Mortars
2 Warleader's Helix[/deck]

Thoughts
- In such a deck, Shock can be underwhelming when every other cards give more value. Might consider replacing it for something else.
- The sideboard is still flimsy at best. Will tinker with it further.

InflatablePie

Postby InflatablePie » Sat Nov 23, 2013 8:46 am

-snip-
Good luck, sound like you're making so many changes that I won't have much experience with your list -snip-

Viashino Firstblade is...an option...I guess? Why...shouldn't that be Ash Zealot if you want another creature? :confused2:

Personally, I think you're going to get crushed playing an untested deck but please prove me wrong!
Changes I made to your list:
n-1 Shock // +1 Mountain
-1 Skullcrack (to SB) // +1 Toil&Trouble (from SB)
-1 YPyro // +1 Firstblade
SB: -1 Anger // +1 Ratchet Bomb (last minute decision over YPyro #3)

so first, I changed three cards and switched a 4:0/2:2 MB:SB ratio to a 3:1/3:1 ratio, keeping both playsets in the 75. I wouldn't call that much of a different list. :P

second, because I don't care enough about the first strike. Firstblade is a three-mana 4-damage spell, provided you can sneak the damage in (which I was able to quite often tonight)

third, I think that playing 71-72/75 cards from an already tested deck should do fine, and I did. went 4:2, squeezed into top 8 and got ten packs from the split. pulled some junk rares, a BW Temple, an Anger, a Hero's Downfall, a Reaper of the Wilds, an Underworld Cerberus, and an Ashiok.

match 1 was against mono-black devotion. I should have won 2:0 but stupidly forgot phoenix triggers and it
cost me. won game 3 at one life though, for exactsies. [1:0]
match 2 was vs B/R Aggro. Won fairly easily, thanks to Nuwen I had a good handle on his list game 1 and played around Exava. [2:0]
match 3 was vs Naya Midrange. I lost this hard between Advent tokens, getting my burn Boros Charmed, and getting my Phoenixes chained. [2:1]
match 4 was vs mono-red. Lost game 1, won game 2 (he scooped after I Boros Charmed a Spark Trooper), lost game 3 'cause I'm dumb*. [2:2]
match 5 was vs mono-red again. It was a 20-ish land type Sligh list (Cacklers, Denizen, Loyalist, but ran Reckoners etc. too). won 2-0. [3:2]
match 6 was against B/R control. slapped him with a Trouble for 6 twice. 2-1'd him. it was fun, took him way too long to die in game 3 though. [4:2]

*I was at 8, him at 10, he had lots of lands and a Mutavault. I had three mana, a Phoenix and Reckoner in play. Swung in for 5, to five. Had a Flames, L-Strike, Reckoner, Chained, Phoenix in hand. He had two cards. I played Reckoner and passed. If I
had kept the first Reckoner back, and/or just kept mana open for the Strike, I would have won. He Lightning Struck my Reckoner, brought himself down to 2, activated Vault, and Titan's Strength + Maaka'd me for exactsies.

Elricity
Tire Aficionado

Postby Elricity » Sat Nov 23, 2013 9:10 am

Glad you proved me wrong. For a minute there, it sounded like you were changing like 10 cards, heh.

Tyrael
Tire Aficionado

Postby Tyrael » Sat Nov 23, 2013 9:51 pm

Excited to see more people bringing results from this deck! I went 3-0 with my altered red deck wins brew so now I almost have all the lands to start playing it so i'm definitely excited to give it a shot :)

InflatablePie

Postby InflatablePie » Sat Nov 23, 2013 10:16 pm

Decided to mainboard the Ratchet Bomb in my side over one Chained. Slightly better against Control and can be useful in other matches.

There ended up only being five of us so the event never fired. :(

Tyrael
Tire Aficionado

Postby Tyrael » Sun Nov 24, 2013 1:16 am

Yikes, that sucks!

I'll try to come up with something in the vein of this deck for my next FNM as aggro seems to be getting the upper hand once again :)

InflatablePie

Postby InflatablePie » Sun Nov 24, 2013 2:40 am

Yeah, requested a day off and biked there for nothing really (at least I got out of an 8AM meeting at work?).

I did play a best of five against Esper though. Won 3:2 (won first two, lost two, won last one).

Best feeling in the world:
(t3) "Cards in hand?"
"*counts* ... 7."
"Trouble you?"
"..."
"For 7?"
"... resolves. 13."

It's almost like a BTE-deck nut draw, with one card instead of three. :D plus useless Verdicts, and if they don't side them out (he sided some after games 1 and 2) thinking you're just aggro game 1 (cackler into ? into phoenix or something), easy win.

I need to be careful about telegraphing Trouble though. I caught myself only asking when I had it in hand. <_<

Tyrael
Tire Aficionado

Postby Tyrael » Sun Nov 24, 2013 10:31 am

I need to be careful about telegraphing Trouble though. I caught myself only asking when I had it in hand. <_<
There are a few people at my FNM that ask for the amound of cards in your hand every few plays. Mind games bro :)

LaZerBurn
Tire Aficionado

Postby LaZerBurn » Sun Nov 24, 2013 7:14 pm

I am currently running this PyroBurn list. Started with MDU's list and tweaked a bit :) Not sure where it belongs so I'm putting it up on both threads to be on the safe side :)

[deck]
Spells
4 Shock
4 Boros Charm
4 Lightning Strike
4 Magma Jet
4 Skullcrack
3 Warleader's Helix

Land
8 Mountain
2 Boros Guildgate
4 Temple of Triumph
4 Sacred Foundry
4 Mutavault

Creatures
4 Rakdos Cackler
3 Young Pyromancer
4 Chandra's Phoenix

Enchantments
4 Chained to the Rocks

Sideboard
4 Frostburn Weird
4 Anger Of The Gods
2 Mizzium Mortars
2 Toil Trouble
2 Firedrinker Satyr
1 Spark Trooper[/deck]

Thoughts - feedback most welcome :)
- Helix is great, 3 is
enough, 2 would most likely be fine.
- Skullcrack is good but could easily go into the board to allow for MD FDS or Weird.
- Very happy with the Vaults, I'd like to try Temple Of Silence in the Guildgate slot but I haven't got any :)
- Not 100% sure about YP in here but haven't faced any MBD in weeks, seems to be Golgari lists now. Anyone else finding this?
- I really, really like Anger :)
- Weird is good, am going to try Reckoner in this slot though.
- Toil is good but not sure if it's actually needed.
- Spark Trooper is incredibly good! So good I am going to get another one :)
- Haven't tried Tajic or Blind Obedience as I haven't got any :)

EDIT - I would run Toil in
the Scry build as I think it would be a lot better there.
Last edited by LaZerBurn on Mon Nov 25, 2013 10:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Thanks to NerdBoyWonder for the awesome sig :)

Tyrael
Tire Aficionado

Postby Tyrael » Sun Nov 24, 2013 7:55 pm

Only 4 temples? I love my scry :(

Pedros
Tire Aficionado

Postby Pedros » Sun Nov 24, 2013 9:19 pm

Joe Demestrio is X-2 right now in GP. He is playing Chandra Phoenixes AND Dragons as only creatures (sth I pointed out on page 2 to go big) playing with 9 scry lands, 23 lands MB Anger of the gods and SB Toil/Troubles.1
Sig by NerdBoyWonder

Tyrael
Tire Aficionado

Postby Tyrael » Sun Nov 24, 2013 10:02 pm

Is he facing a lot of control? Dragons seem like a logical pickup in a meta dominated by U/W and Esper.

magicdownunder
Tire Aficionado

Postby magicdownunder » Mon Nov 25, 2013 6:05 am

Joe Demestrio is X-2 right now in GP. He is playing Chandra Phoenixes AND Dragons as only creatures (sth I pointed out on page 2 to go big) playing with 9 scry lands, 23 lands MB Anger of the gods and SB Toil/Troubles.1
I can't imagine he'll do well, in any given real event you'll expect lots of MonoU, BG, Bg Devotion and Esper - Dragons are not that good against any of them esp. if you you only have 8 creatures.

Proceeding to eat my words....
Last edited by magicdownunder on Mon Nov 25, 2013 8:20 am, edited 1 time in total.

Enjoy Pauper, Standard, Momir, Modern and Music? then visit my channel: Video Link

Elricity
Tire Aficionado

Postby Elricity » Mon Nov 25, 2013 6:14 am

I am currently running this PyroBurn list. Started with MDU's list and tweaked a bit :) Not sure where it belongs so I'm putting it up on both threads to be on the safe side :)

Thoughts - feedback most welcome :)
- Helix is great, 3 is enough, 2 would most likely be fine.
- Skullcrack is good but could easily go into the board to allow for MD FDS or Weird.
- Very happy with the Vaults, I'd like to try Temple Of Silence in the Guildgate slot but I haven't got any
- Not 100% sure about YP in here but haven't faced any MBD in weeks, seems to be Golgari lists now. Anyone else finding this?
- I really, really like Anger :)
- Weird is good, am going to try Reckoner in this slot though.
- Toil is good but not sure if it's actually needed.
- Spark Trooper is incredibly good! So good I am going to get another one :)
- Haven't tried Tajic or Blind Obedience as I haven't got any :)
[/deck]

Probably could get by on 2 helix but 3 gives a good chance of seeing some lifegain midgame which can be very helpful. Remember, if you're gaining life, you're also able to ignore some of their creatures to send more to them.

If an opponent has any lifegain, you are probably dead without
mainboard skullcrack. Your creatures can't keep up with enemy life gain alone.

Get the temples when you can. I cast Toil instead of Trouble just often enough to be glad to have it.

Reckoner is better than frostburn in my opinion.

Trouble is what makes this whole thing possible versus control or mono blue devotion. You have to close out the game faster vs them and nothing does that like 6-7 to the face.

Tajic disappointed me before but give it a try. We don't have a great way to get batallion off.

I need to test blind obedience but I'm not sold on it.

LaZerBurn
Tire Aficionado

Postby LaZerBurn » Mon Nov 25, 2013 7:47 am

Thanks Elricity, really appreciate feedback like this :) Good points on Helix and Crack. Will try the Temples asap :)

@MDU - any thoughts on Temples/Reckoner Vs Vaults/Weird please?

EDIT - just read your thoughts in the other thread MDU :)

LaZerBurn
Tire Aficionado

Postby LaZerBurn » Mon Nov 25, 2013 8:16 am

Joe Demestrio made T16 at GP Albuquerque with this list - 61 cards MD

[deck]
Spells
4 Anger of the Gods
4 Boros Charm
4 Chained to the Rocks
4 Lightning Strike
4 Magma Jet
2 Mizzium Mortars
4 Shock
3 Warleader's Helix

Land
10 Mountain
4 Sacred Foundry
1 Temple of Abandon
4 Temple of Silence
4 Temple of Triumph

Monsters
4 Chandra's Phoenix
3 Stormbreath Dragon

Thighs
2 Chandra, Best Card In Standard

Sideboard
2 Assemble the Legion
4 Boros Reckoner
1 Mizzium Mortars
4 Skullcrack
4 Toil // Trouble
[/deck]

magicdownunder
Tire Aficionado

Postby magicdownunder » Mon Nov 25, 2013 8:21 am

I like the Chandra's in his deck, seem like he meta game aggro and midrange at the expense of control and Bx Devotion.

Enjoy Pauper, Standard, Momir, Modern and Music? then visit my channel: Video Link

Tyrael
Tire Aficionado

Postby Tyrael » Mon Nov 25, 2013 9:47 am

Seems like over half of the decks there were mono B and Mono U, talk about build diversity :/

LaZerBurn
Tire Aficionado

Postby LaZerBurn » Mon Nov 25, 2013 5:30 pm

I like the Demestrio build more the more I look at it :)

Aodh
Tire Aficionado

Postby Aodh » Mon Nov 25, 2013 8:06 pm

I don't. I haven't seen the replays or anything, but it seems suboptimal. Luckily--and I'm very happy to say this--you almost can't go wrong with deck building in standard if you're jamming red cards; they're really powerful right now. But, what's the premise of his deck? With 4 Anger of the Gods, 4 Chained to a Rock, and 2 Mizzium Mortars, it seems like he really wants to beat aggro and MUD. That's reasonable, since AIR had a few showings and MUD's been popular. But! If he's trying to beat aggro, then where's Boros Reckoner/Frostburn Weird and Ash Zealot? They seem much better than Boros Charm there. Sure, perhaps he's trying to mitigate his weakness to removal from Esper and MBD, but then why's he trying to run Thuder Thighs (w/o protection against aggro) and dragons (on 23 land in a 61 card deck) into Hero's Downfall?

It seems like he's sacrificing his MB control match-up in favor of the aggro match-up,
and when the tree most popular decks are MUD (fine MU either way), Esper, and MBD, that seems like a terrible idea. In this thread, we've really emphasized removal resistance and high-odds control MUs. I think that's where we need to stay. I can get with 2 MM in lieu of 2 T//T or Skullcracks to hedge against aggro, because at least they kill BBOV, but I certainly can't adopt wraths, dragons, and Thunder Thighs in favor of YP$ and friends.

Elricity
Tire Aficionado

Postby Elricity » Mon Nov 25, 2013 10:45 pm

It sounds like the GP had almost no good esper showings so maybe he made a correct meta call but his list seems really bad to me too. The 8-10 dead cards vs control seems painful. I assume he planned on punting game 1 or scrying away as many dead cards as possible.

With his suite of 9 permanents, 4 recurrable, maindecking boros charm instead of skullcrack also seems wacky. Boros charm does nothing for him at all except +1 damage that skullcrack doesn't. It even gives him a chance of killing MoW.

I'm going to be a snob and say that just having the 61st card shows he didn't get enough chance to plan this through.

On another note, might end up dropping satyrs because more removal hits it.

I'm going to keep headdesking over people suggesting Chandra in this deck.

Tyrael
Tire Aficionado

Postby Tyrael » Mon Nov 25, 2013 11:42 pm

@ Elricity, what about running Weirds MB? Would that allow for some Chandra shenanigans?

Elricity
Tire Aficionado

Postby Elricity » Mon Nov 25, 2013 11:54 pm

Build your deck with enough creatures so that Chandra isn't a 4 CC Goblin Fireslinger and you can do basically whatever you like.

Tyrael
Tire Aficionado

Postby Tyrael » Tue Nov 26, 2013 12:01 am

Well then it's not a burn deck any more, is it :)

Elricity
Tire Aficionado

Postby Elricity » Tue Nov 26, 2013 8:34 am

Tis be what I'm hinting at, yarr.

Tyrael
Tire Aficionado

Postby Tyrael » Tue Nov 26, 2013 9:18 am

Meh, just wanted to try her for her 0 ability, seems really strong here

Elricity
Tire Aficionado

Postby Elricity » Tue Nov 26, 2013 6:09 pm

The 0 ability would be very strong here...if you could use it from the graveyard. Run more creature removal if you want to activate her 0 but don't want creatures. I personally don't like the build that uses Anger and such but that would mesh with your frostburns. What you shouldn't do is run a mainboard playset of boros charm, skullcrack, and 2-4 toil // trouble and play her unless you like watching her get publically gangbanged. Annhilating fire and/or flames of the firebrand are the only other legitimate choices I can find that hits creatures and players that we aren't already using. Another solution that I did was to run boros reckoner mainboard. I don't actually recommend this.

Show me a decklist whose game plan isn't to put Chandra on a Tiajuana street corner.

I'm actually not theorycrafting this one. I was running, until recently, a YP + boros burn deck varient in paper since before states. If you're
curious, it looked something like this. I am aware it wasn't great but I was able to activate her 0 with it.
Elricity's Janky boros burn list
[deck]
Lands (24)
3 mutavault
1 boros guild gate
2 plains
10 mountain
4 sacred foundry
4 temple of triumph

Creature (12)
4 Young Pyromancer
4 boros reckoner
4 chandra's phoenix

Support (7)

2 Pyromancer's Gauntlet
3 Chandra, Pyromaster
2 Chained to the rocks

Burn (17)

2 flames of the firebrand
4 magma jet
4 lightning strike
4 boros charm
3 Warleader's Helix

Sideboard

2 Mizzium Mortars
3 skull crack
2 chained to the rocks
1 hammer of purphoros
2 mizzium mortar
2 Renounce the guilds
2 Glare of heresy
1 wear // tear[/deck]

LaZerBurn
Tire Aficionado

Postby LaZerBurn » Tue Nov 26, 2013 8:26 pm

The 0 ability would be very strong here...if you could use it from the graveyard.

unless you like watching her get publically gangbanged.

Show me a decklist whose game plan isn't to put Chandra on a Tiajuana street corner.
Love this, such vivid imagery :)

Elricity
Tire Aficionado

Postby Elricity » Tue Nov 26, 2013 8:44 pm

I'm a proud perv. It's why I had to edit and add "publically" to gangbanged. You can't take me anywhere nice.

jsilv

Postby jsilv » Wed Nov 27, 2013 8:06 am

FWIW, Demestrio himself didn't like the deck. He said it played out pretty badly over the day and that he would cut Boros Charm if he could have had any change. Either you want to add creatures and keep Charm and play it out closer to the actual aggro builds or you basically masquerade as a board control deck and eventually wipe them with Dragon / Assemble. I personally haven't played the deck, but that's what he told one of my friends who T8'd the GP (they played in swiss).

hyrano
One Post Wonder

Postby hyrano » Thu Nov 28, 2013 12:36 pm

I tried Demestrio's deck out, except I cut stormbreaths and angers for cacklers and firedrinkers. Moved 2 Anger to the sideboard.

3-1 my FNM with it.

1) Rakdos Aggro - 2-0 I switched to control mode and just burned him out while killing anything that threatened to cut my time short. Wasn't too difficult. Cards were useful all the time except for mizzium mortars. Deck feels ok, but I'm starting to beg at my topdeck after turn 5.

2) Mono Black Devotion - 2-1 I lost one game because I failed to find skullcracks and he just ripped out T1 thoughtseize, T2 Pack Rat (which I burned off while he had no mana), T3 Underworld Connections, T4 Disciple of Phenax, T5 Grey Merchant. Disciple of Phenax is brutal and it's a 1/3 blocker is most situations against slower decks. The other games I just rolled over due to misplays. Disciple of Phenax is effectively the better half of Thragtusk in this matchup.

3) BWR "
Midrange" - 2-1 But he plays like control. Basically burn and kill everything early, then keep dropping blood barons, stormbreath dragons, etc after turn 5. I couldn't play control against cards like blood baron and elspeth so I just combo-ed out with my burn as soon as possible. Trouble was the winning card here with 6 damage upwards on t3 and putting him down to 1 digits. Deck isn't too bad once you're counting to 20. Sin Collector really hurts though.

4) RW Heroic - 0 - 2 it's a homebrew, but damn the pilot is either good or really lucky. It plays 1drops like Soldier of the Pantheon & Legion Loyalist & Cacklers, 2 drops like Wojek Halberdiers and Truefire Paladin, and Anax & Cymede at the top of his curve. He runs 4x God's Willing, 4x Brave the Elements, 4x Boros Charms. G1 I tried combo-ing to 20 but fell short of 4 life. G2 I tried being controlly but he had multiple brave the elements and anger / boros reckoner couldn't do anything. It's not a particularly fast deck, but
Truefire Paladin is somewhat resilient in combat and Anax//Cymede gives him some broken interactions ie God's Willing + Boros Charm mode3 for a hefty board swing. I feel I should have just burned his face and ignored his guys more. Probably bad plays by me.

I have much to learn. I think I'm going back to the other homebrew of mine which I'll ask for comments here later on.

Prime
Newcomer

Postby Prime » Sat Nov 30, 2013 9:09 am

Played the following list tonight at FNM. I have to say, I enjoyed playing it, and I feel it preformed well in my Meta. I will probably be bringing it to the local magic stores Sunday standard tournament as well.

[deck]
Creatures (11)
4 Chandra's Phoenix
4 Rakdos Cackler
2 Young Pyromancer
1 Sparktrooper

Spells (28)
4 Shock
4 Lightning Strike
4 Magma Jet
4 Skullcrack
4 Boros Charm
3 Warleader's Helix
3 Toil//Trouble
2 Chained to the Rocks

Lands (21)
9 Mountain
4 Sacred Foundry
4 Temple of Triumph
2 Boros Guildgate
2 Mutavault

Sideboard
4 Anger of the Gods
2 Chained to the Rocks
2 Mizzium Mortars
2 Frostburn Weird
2 Sparktrooper
2 Peak Eruption
1 Hammer of Purphoros
[/deck]

I went 3-1 with it. My lose was in the first round due to a mulligan to 4, and a very bad play i made.

1-2 vs B/W midranged
2-0 vs Jund
2-1 vs Esper Control
2-1 vs Jund

I have to say. Sparktrooper
is the real deal. This guy saved me, as well as closed out quite a number of games. I found i sided him in virtually every match, which leads me to wanting to play maybe 2 in the main, and 2 in the side. Trouble was also amazing vs esper control. Each game in this match up I managed to land one for 5-7 damage. I think 2 in the main, and 2 in sideboard may be a good idea, since top decking this card is often very bad, even against control since they will likely have a counter in their hand on 5+ cards. Anger of the Gods was very good against Jund. I never played Frostburn (they were mainly added for experimental play vs aggro), but i didn't end up playing any aggro decks tonight. I'm also debating changing Cacklers into Firedrinker satyrs, just because they are better vs control, and vs aggro i would board 1 drop creatures out anyways for weird+anger. I'd also like to maybe make room for 2 Chandra in the deck, I'm thinking maybe peak eruption should be taken out. The are just some of my
thoughts from playing tonight.

Going to rework the deck a little bit before sunday, but overall i was very happy with how it preformed.

Elricity
Tire Aficionado

Postby Elricity » Sun Dec 01, 2013 1:56 am

Chandra is still bad here

Tyrael
Tire Aficionado

Postby Tyrael » Sun Dec 01, 2013 1:42 pm

Went 3-0-1 this friday with this list

[DECK]
Creatures (9)
4 Rakdos Cackler
4 Chandra's Phoenix
1 Young Pyromancer

Lands (21)
9 Mountain
4 Sacred Foundry
4 Temple of Silence
4 Temple of Triumph

Instants (23)
4 Boros Charm
4 Lightning Strike
4 Magma Jet
4 Shock
4 Skullcrack
3 Warleader's Helix

Others (7)
4 Chained to the Rocks
2 Toil // Trouble
1 Anger of the Gods

Sideboard
2 Anger of the Gods
2 Toil // Trouble
4 Boros Reckoner
2 Young Pyromancer
2 Mizzium Mortars
2 Spark Trooper
[/DECK]

Out of the 19 players that attended, there were three of them playing control. I faced all of them... Ugh

Matchup 1: Esper Control
G1: I burn him out, he has nothing (he was only running 2 counterspells main).
G2: I flood, I lose.
G3: He floods, he loses despite me not drawing a single skullcrack to counteract his sphinxes.

Matchup 2: Rakdos control
G1: He does nothing and lets me burn
him down until he can drop a dragon turn 6 and makes it monstrous next turn. I manage to topdeck a burn for the win right before he kills me.
G2: He has no answers and I just burn him out, he thoughtseized the one spark trooper I drew against him which sucks though (esper player did the same).

Matchup 3: Azorius control
G1: I draw way too much land and he kills me with Elspeth, bummer.
G2: Guy didn't board in that many counters cuz he thought I was playing boros aggro, I manage to anger his Elspeth tokens before he ults and topdeck a trouble to finish him off.
G3: I draw jack shit and he has a bunch of counters in his hand, anger his elspeth tokens in the fourth turn of the overtime for the draw. Yuck.

The guy brought in Yoked Ox to block off my Cacklers G2 and G3. Really.

Matchup 4: G/R Ramp
G1: Flood like a champ, roll over and die like a chump.
G2: Anger of the Gods baby! I sweep his board twice and dunk him with double boros charm.
G3: He has a crappy hand which allows me to simply rack
up my mana base and wait for a hand full of burn. A turn 3 Reckoner makes him cringe, which also gets a few hits in before he suddenly floods the board with all kinds of nonsense. He had 6 2 and 3 toughness creatures and a Nylea on the board, which I chained and then angered the rest of his underlings. Boros Reckoner had to perish but at least he did 3 extra damage to the dome. He never recovered from this as I kept topdecking exactly the things I needed (guy was pissed off at this, understandable).

I like this deck and I will keep running this until Azorius control becomes popular again. What a terrible matchup.

Keftenk

Postby Keftenk » Mon Dec 02, 2013 8:57 am

Took a break from PyroDragons tonight to have a little bit more fun, running this build. Winning here and there, but just really need more tests against Mono U and Mono B to really see this thing in action ;;

[deck]
Creatures
4 Chandra's Phoenix
2 Stormbreath Dragon

Land
4 Temple of Triumph
4 Sacred Foundry
3 Mutavault
10 Mountain
2 Temple of Silence

Enchantments
4 Chained to the Rocks