[Fedoras of Salvation] - White Knights ITT

Moderator: redthirst

Self Medicated
Tire Aficionado
(View: POSTS_VIEWTOPIC /POSTS_VIEWTOPIC_INTO)

Postby Self Medicated » Mon Oct 28, 2013 4:26 am

Dammit Jerry!
SM, you complete me. :love:

DocLawless
Tire Aficionado

Postby DocLawless » Mon Oct 28, 2013 4:26 am

Photodyer for the win.

Helios
Tire Aficionado

Postby Helios » Mon Oct 28, 2013 4:26 am

I'd have gotten there, but you cannot make another post so soon after your last :(

windstrider
Knight in Sour Armor

Postby windstrider » Mon Oct 28, 2013 4:27 am

I'll take this one...
Why, yes. Yes, you did. :D
Searing Seneschal of Salvation

Cogito, ergo incendo.

sig by NBW

Self Medicated
Tire Aficionado

Postby Self Medicated » Mon Oct 28, 2013 4:29 am

Google legitimately can't even download the image. It says "file not found".
Weird. I can't explain that.
SM, you complete me. :love:

rcwraspy
Tire Aficionado

Postby rcwraspy » Mon Oct 28, 2013 4:32 am

your avy shows just fine to me.
Thanks to NerdBoyWonder for the amazing sig!
Son, I want you to know that no matter what happens between your mother and me, it's all your fault.

rcwraspy
Tire Aficionado

Postby rcwraspy » Mon Oct 28, 2013 4:33 am

and congrats on the 20,000 post and 500 page marks!!
Son, I want you to know that no matter what happens between your mother and me, it's all your fault.

TubeHunter
Tire Aficionado

Postby TubeHunter » Mon Oct 28, 2013 4:36 am

:toot: :smileup:

photodyer
Tire Aficionado

Postby photodyer » Mon Oct 28, 2013 4:37 am

SM, I don't get your avy either, just "User avatar". Try hosting it elsewhere, perhaps? I stick stuff in a facebook album that I want to show correctly at home and work.
Righteous sig by NBW

Skaldic Master of Fiery Salvation

Common Sense is now a Mythic Rare.

hamfactorial
Tire Aficionado

Postby hamfactorial » Mon Oct 28, 2013 4:47 am

Yay 20,000! Hooch for everyone!

Link
Tire Aficionado

Postby Link » Mon Oct 28, 2013 4:51 am

has it really been seven months?

holy shit time....

Helios
Tire Aficionado

Postby Helios » Mon Oct 28, 2013 4:55 am

I know, right?

photodyer
Tire Aficionado

Postby photodyer » Mon Oct 28, 2013 5:14 am

To the day...that's the point that really caught me. We crossed the desert out of the oppression of MTGS and into the Promised Land on March 27th (US time zones, anyway...for James and others I think it was already the 28th).
Righteous sig by NBW

TubeHunter
Tire Aficionado

Postby TubeHunter » Mon Oct 28, 2013 5:18 am

I know right!

It's gotta be close to a year anni for the first of you guys. (or has it already passed?) (Mines not until sometime in december, which is where I joined you)

TBuzzsaw
Tire Aficionado

Postby TBuzzsaw » Mon Oct 28, 2013 5:21 am

Congrats on the success of the board!

Kazekirimaru
Tire Aficionado

Postby Kazekirimaru » Mon Oct 28, 2013 5:37 am

We're pretty bitchin' people. :thumbsup:

windstrider
Knight in Sour Armor

Postby windstrider » Mon Oct 28, 2013 5:38 am

I know right!

It's gotta be close to a year anni for the first of you guys. (or has it already passed?) (Mines not until sometime in december, which is where I joined you)
I want to say November December* for me since it was around that time when photo and I started chatting. I joined up not too far after that.

*as noted by Photo below
Last edited by windstrider on Mon Oct 28, 2013 5:54 am, edited 1 time in total.
Searing Seneschal of Salvation

Cogito, ergo incendo.

sig by NBW

DocLawless
Tire Aficionado

Postby DocLawless » Mon Oct 28, 2013 5:43 am

We're going to need a commemorative "I was there for the 20,000th" sig banner.

photodyer
Tire Aficionado

Postby photodyer » Mon Oct 28, 2013 5:50 am

Here's the original clan-forming post from Redthirst over on Sally, though we formed the idea for the clan in the red primer discussion that served as the original gathering place for the FoS founders (I think a big part of it ran in the Dos Rakis thread as well...many of the core members were also the developers of our RB deck):

by redthirst 12/5/2012

One Small Ember to Spark the [Fires of Salvation]

Welcome all to the

Fires of Salvation

Who are we? We're the Fires of Salvation, of course! We're members with one thing in common: we love all things :symr: From the lowest Task Mage to the highest Fire Lord
we're passionate about playing with fire.

Why are we here? We're here to watch the world burn! Well... mostly we're already burning up the Standard Competitive forum, but like all fires, we need to spread...

Here's our probationary roster (56) - confirmed members in RED (if you're on the list, just post to confirm):

redthirst
dpaine88
photodyer
zemanjaski
PrimalBurn
Wrathberry
DXI-Edge
Christen
Tharkun
Voyaging
midnight_V
Khaospawn
jdow30
hamfactorial
GunnarPB
Artificial Alchemist
Self Medicated
RDW?
Woj
BigSmeez
Mattsadface
Aesnath
metamorph
Novajoe
Dromar the Banisher
Samwise1414
Uranium
lorddax
Fax
yarpus
Calamity
higher zero
Keftenk
jyob
Lauphiette Kincey
bearsman6
TauronNox
Yorutenchi
Zeymo
Whimsicalbox
dreinal13
BlakLanner
Johnny_Spike
AdamM
Mister Met
DonteB84

Meelman
iube
Shardoon
Timesink
Saoshyant 4329
cweaver8518
chrstphrbrnnn
boiler
Hellsing512
Haplo19

And we've picked up some new recruits since the thread started!
os1rus
windstrider
Lucian
Neophyte Pyromancer
Valdarith
tapped1out
eclipsemonger
Kraken B. Trippin
bits - since we're all still in a probationary period with no real government, you get right in.

++SMALL UPDATE++

We now have a Council so I can't just let people in - from now until we can solidify Clan policy for new recruits, anyone who joins will be a probationary member. Feel free to post, add FoS to your sig, or whatever though and we'll get you approved just as soon as we have an actual approval process...
Tezna
CrazyCatPerson123
PirateKingAtomsk
toddulent
JankyJankster
forw4rd
Pat
Colonel Nohman
iplongno
Platypus
warwizard87
Speedbump
Johnnydizzer
TubeHunter

Want to join? It's easy - just tell us! There will be a probationary period where we'll make sure
you're a good fit here (don't worry, we're not too picky) and then you're in.

The board is just as relaxed. Want to talk about decks you're brewing? Cool. Tournament reports? Awesome. Your kids starting school? That's fine. Just saw the most ballin' movie? No spoilers. Basically, talk about whatever.

+++CLAN COUNCIL+++

First order of business is to set up a Clan Council - this will be a publicly elected Clan ruling body that will number no less than 10% and no more than 20% of the total number of Clan members. We will hold nominations from now until elections - which will start on Monday and last for 5 days. Until then, I will rule with an iron fist and strike down all those who oppose me!

Nominees:
zemanjaski
yarpus
hamfactorial
redthirst
Khaospawn
dpaine88
metamorph
DXI-Edge
cweaver8518
Lauphiette Kincey
Dromar the Banisher

Like I said, the Clan Council will be an elected position with an indefinite term - once you're in, you're in until you retire or are removed by a
Council vote (you know, in case one of us goes bat-**** insane). If you're not elected to the initial Council and you want to be, don't worry - as the Clan grows, the Council will grow and the more members you recruit, the more votes you can count on at the next election.

Speaking of which...

+++RECRUITING+++

Like any fire, we need to grow or we'll die - so all members are expected (but not required - there's no penalty) to recruit... just don't be a dick about it. Put a link in your sig or create a cool custom title with your FoS position or something. If you meet someone particularly awesome who you think would fit in here, PM them the link and invite them to drop by.

BUT DO NOT SPAM THE FORUMS!

I think that's about it. If you're on the probationary member list I'll be sending you an email to drop by. Just a quick "I'm here - locked, cocked, and ready to rock!" is enough to show you're still interested and, if you have one, throw out a nomination for Clan Council.

nWelcome to your new home, guys!

+++UPDATE 12/10/12+++

Two things:

1st - The poll for Clan Council is now up! Vote for any number of nominees that you feel would be suitable as a Clan representative (not just one). The top 7 will be promoted to Clan Council - this is the Clan ruling body - it will be responsible for making any future Clan policy so vote for the people you want representing and making decisions for your Clan.

As an aside I'd like to note that metamorph and DXI-Edge were nominated, but they've yet to check in as far as I know. They'll be listed and you'll be able to vote for them, but if they don't check in by the time voting's done then votes towards them won't count.

Oh, and please only vote if you are a FoS Clan member.

2nd - lorddax has established a sister Clan on M:tGO for anyone from FoS who wants to join. Here's the scoop straight from him:
Quote:
Originally Posted by lorddax
Its our easy meeting place on MTGO. To join all someone has to do is message/mail
me under 'lorddax' asking for an invite with their forum name included. As long as they have that they can get in!

If we have a solid number of people playing regularly we can start playing in Clan only events and get some clan rating, so get everyone to sign up!

Hopefully the clan stuff will get an update soon but for now thats the easiest way to do it. Usually I'll toss up a post whenever I hop online. Once the council is finalized, I'd like for everyone to pass the captainship around to whichever council member is still logged in when the current captain is logging out so that way people dont have to wait forever on invites.
+++UPDATE 12/17/12+++

A few things:

1. Voting is over and Clan Council has been chosen! Your Council is:

-zemanjaski
-redthirst
-hamfactorial
-yarpus
-Khaospawn
-dpaine88
-Lauphiette Kincey

I will be messaging all of you shortly.

I went with 7 because it's roughly 15% of those who voted - everyone on the list would have made
a valuable addition, though, so let's continue to grow so everyone who deserves a chance can have one.

2. Everyone remember to follow the rules for the Clan section. Most notably - no spam and no double posting.

3. Along with our MtGO Clan, lorddax is working on something else super cool. I'll let you guys know when it's done.

4. As of today, the McRib is back in my area. Pray that I do not die of Pork overdose.

That's it.

+++UPDATE 01/02/13+++

Happy New Year Everyone! Pretty big update!

First, it looks like I will be the Clan Rep for now - I'm thinking this position will be rotated periodically so we'll figure out the particulars at some point and go from there.

Second, the Council has discussed our membership policy and it looks like we'll be introducing a Tier-based Clan system. Here's what that's looking like:

Tier 1 - Probationary Members - This is what every new member will start as and we'll be retroactively putting most everyone on this list. Probationary Members
will be able to post in the Clan thread, vote in Clan polls, and use any FoS sigs/banners that they want. The only requirement to becoming or staying a Probationary Member is that you post up at least once per FoS Clan thread to let us know you're interested and still active.

Tier 2 - Full Members - Once you've shown you're committed to the Clan through regular posting and/or contributions to the Clan thread (things like designing a sig/banner or participating in future Clan challenges show that you're invested) you'll be moved up to full membership. Tier 2 membership comes with the benefits of Tier 1, plus you'll be invited to join our new Fires rf Salvation forum - a place where you can be yourself/let off steam without the worry of being warned/infracted!

Tier 3 - Senior Members - Some of you have been with us since the begining or have gone above and beyond and you deserve a little something extra. Tier 3 membership comes with all the benefits of Tier 2 plus access to an extra subforum on the
FoS forum. This forum will be able to be posted in and viewed by only Senior Members. Want to know what's going on in there? Constant long-term quality posting will get you noticed and invited to join.

Tier 4 - Council Members - If you're voted into the Council you'll immediately become Tier 4 no matter what Tier you were before. Tier 4 includes all the benefits of Tier 3 + the ability to post/vote in the threads in the Clan Council section of our FoS Forum. Any member Tier 2+ will be able to view the threads in that section, but only Tier 4 will have the ability to post.

We'll discuss particulars in the near future and let everyone know where they stand - like I said, many members will be moved to probationary status, but just do a little regular and/or quality posting and you'll get moved back up to full membership in no time.

+++UPDATE 01/11/13+++

The following members will be upgraded from Probationary to Full Members:

Photodyer
Christen
Tharkun
midnight_V

jdow30
GunnarPB
Self Medicated
Mattsadface
Aesnath
Novajoe
lorddax
Calamity
higher zero
bearsman6
Whimsicalbox
Mister Met
cweaver8518
chrstphrbrnnn
Neophyte Pyromancer
Valdarith
bits
Tezna
CrazyCatPerson123
toddulent
Artificial Alchemist
Woj
Dromar the Banisher
Yorutenchi
windstrider

The single greatest contributer to the decision whether to promote a member or not was amount of posts in this clan thread. For the most part - the regular posters got promoted and the lurkers didn't. Other factors were considered, though - Tezna was included for making a Clan sig and a few others for their many contributions throughout other parts of the forum.

We'll probably be making promotions like this every couple of months - we'll promote tier 1 members who we feel deserve it to tier 2 and tier 2 to tier 3.

Congrats to those that were promoted!
Righteous sig by NBW

rcwraspy
Tire Aficionado

Postby rcwraspy » Mon Oct 28, 2013 5:54 am

you're feeling a tad nostalgic right now, aren't you, Photo?

RaidaTheBlade
Tire Aficionado

Postby RaidaTheBlade » Mon Oct 28, 2013 5:57 am

Dammit, I go to take a nap, and miss my shot at 20000

Congrats to all the old fogeys who made this clan the thing it is. I've only been here a couple of weeks, but I'm already really enjoying it!

SM your avatar appears to be broken.
You're the second person to say that. It's weird, because I can see my avy fine. Can everyone else see it?
I've never been able to see it. Always thought it was on purpose, lol
I, for one, would like to welcome our new firebreathing narwhal overlords.

hamfactorial
Tire Aficionado

Postby hamfactorial » Mon Oct 28, 2013 5:58 am

I like how redthirst mentioned the McRib in the original clan thread.

photodyer
Tire Aficionado

Postby photodyer » Mon Oct 28, 2013 6:00 am

@wraspy - You could say that...but moreso I'm kinda floored to look at where we came from and then realize where we are both as a clan and as players. Yeah, we're a bunch of jokers, but people here have grown in so many ways since we came together...that really hits home.

@ham - YES!! I had forgotten the original McRib discussion...rt is certainly a fan of dat sammich!
Righteous sig by NBW

TubeHunter
Tire Aficionado

Postby TubeHunter » Mon Oct 28, 2013 6:04 am

fucking mcRib

RaidaTheBlade
Tire Aficionado

Postby RaidaTheBlade » Mon Oct 28, 2013 6:07 am

Also, was looking at event lists, and saw there's an elite IQ in melbourne next weekend...(the 3rd)
Z, you gonna go wreck shit?

photodyer
Tire Aficionado

Postby photodyer » Mon Oct 28, 2013 6:09 am

Now if you want nostalgia...I just fired up Abbott and Costello's "Buck Privates".
Righteous sig by NBW

rcwraspy
Tire Aficionado

Postby rcwraspy » Mon Oct 28, 2013 6:11 am

@wraspy - You could say that...but moreso I'm kinda floored to look at where we came from and then realize where we are both as a clan and as players. Yeah, we're a bunch of jokers, but people here have grown in so many ways since we came together...that really hits home.
Oh believe me, it hits home for me, too. Members of this Clan have shared and helped each other through some very challenging and life-changing experiences IRL, and have also come together to grow as Magic players and brew some cutting-edge lists. It's the best of both worlds, and some RL friendships have grown from it.

But I had to take the opportunity to take a jab anyway :-p

zemanjaski
Tire Aficionado

Postby zemanjaski » Mon Oct 28, 2013 6:12 am

Also, was looking at event lists, and saw there's an elite IQ in melbourne next weekend...(the 3rd)
I'm moving house this weekend :(
1 - Drunk, surly zem
2 - Nice, modest zem
3 - Bragpost zem
4 - Confident and funny zem
5 - Condescending jerk zem
6 - Self-aware zem
Everyone's a winner, we're making our fame,
Bona fide hustler making my name

RaidaTheBlade
Tire Aficionado

Postby RaidaTheBlade » Mon Oct 28, 2013 6:14 am

I'm moving house this weekend :(
Ahh, that sucks :o I'm sorry man.

F.I.A

Postby F.I.A » Mon Oct 28, 2013 6:22 am

Congrats on hitting 500th page and 20,000 posts. It's good to be a member of this cool clan.

Now to do something about that sig of mine.

Edit: Fixed. Now, if I can do something about the avatar...

TubeHunter
Tire Aficionado

Postby TubeHunter » Mon Oct 28, 2013 6:57 am

that moment when your opponent goes turn 3 fiendslayer palidin, turn 4 courage, turn 5 courage. This is game 1 by the way.

Then after crushing me (Game 2 he played 3 courage on a palidin.) he has the nerve to call me a bitch for playing red aggro

DocLawless
Tire Aficionado

Postby DocLawless » Mon Oct 28, 2013 7:12 am

that moment when your opponent goes turn 3 fiendslayer palidin, turn 4 courage, turn 5 courage. This is game 1 by the way.

Then after crushing me (Game 2 he played 3 courage on a palidin.) he has the nerve to call me a bitch for playing red aggro

(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻

zemanjaski
Tire Aficionado

Postby zemanjaski » Mon Oct 28, 2013 7:17 am

Serves you right for playing mindless aggro.
1 - Drunk, surly zem
2 - Nice, modest zem
3 - Bragpost zem
4 - Confident and funny zem
5 - Condescending jerk zem
6 - Self-aware zem
Everyone's a winner, we're making our fame,
Bona fide hustler making my name

Kazekirimaru
Tire Aficionado

Postby Kazekirimaru » Mon Oct 28, 2013 7:18 am

Red is just turning dudes sideways, anyway.

TubeHunter
Tire Aficionado

Postby TubeHunter » Mon Oct 28, 2013 7:27 am

It was funny cause its the second time i got called a bitch playing magic in the past two weeks.

The first was at gameday, when I got called one by some scrawny little fuck with bipolar disorder when i told him to move. (My blown knee made it hard to move around the shop so i had a permanent seat. (funny thing was, he beat me as well, whats with beating me and calling me a bitch for playing red?)

RaidaTheBlade
Tire Aficionado

Postby RaidaTheBlade » Mon Oct 28, 2013 7:33 am

First off, some people are just fuckwits. It happens.

Also, am I the only one who gets really annoyed at people using shit like bipolar disorder as excuses for being asshats? I've got bipolar disorder, and guess what? I take my fucking meds and don't act like an asshole.

Sorry, mini-rant.

F.I.A

Postby F.I.A » Mon Oct 28, 2013 7:49 am

@tube: Sounds like those rogue enchant variants. I've fought a deck whose strategy is to play a Gladecover Scout, Madcap Skills next turn and slap any ordeals he draws.

@Kazekirmaru: Turning dude sideways is green's turf, though. Red relies more on getting rid of the oppositions.

There's not much name-calling in 2-mans, but that could be because the stake was not high enough (Say, compared to a DE).

magicdownunder
Tire Aficionado

Postby magicdownunder » Mon Oct 28, 2013 9:35 am

[quote="[url=viewtopic.php?p=131719#p131719:2j6y1ez9]F.I.A » Mon Oct 28, 2013 5:49 pm[/url:2j6y1ez9]":2j6y1ez9]@tube: Sounds like those rogue enchant variants. I've fought a deck whose strategy is to play a [card:2j6y1ez9]Gladecover Scout[/card:2j6y1ez9], [card:2j6y1ez9]Madcap Skills[/card:2j6y1ez9] next turn and slap any ordeals he draws.

@Kazekirmaru: Turning dude sideways is green's turf, though. Red relies more on getting rid of the oppositions.

There's not much name-calling in 2-mans, but that could be because the stake was not high enough (Say, compared to a DE).[/quote:2j6y1ez9]

Really? Must be the timezone - I find the 2-mans to be filled with whiny twats.

The DE seem to be ok beside a few I can name :sneaky:

Enjoy Pauper, Standard, Momir, Modern and Music? then visit my channel: Video Link

F.I.A

Postby F.I.A » Mon Oct 28, 2013 9:42 am

Nah, if it shouldn't be timezone problem here, since we should be really close in that regard.

Granted, I played the afternoon session yesterday. Actually met some chap with an interesting deck (UR control running Steam Augury)and we complimented each others' decks and stuff.

DarthStabber
Tire Aficionado

Postby DarthStabber » Mon Oct 28, 2013 9:45 am

I go second place in a standard event, and every opponent says they lost to "variance". I said "you know you can take steps to reduce your variance", and they said "that's not real magic, some of us want to play a real game", to which I got snippy and replied, "it seems more like you wanna durdle instead of play, and your 'variance' is the difference between my 4 packs and your 1".

Later I hop in on a pauper tourney, they have two and need 2 more, so I hand someone a pauper deck of mine at random, and realize that I gave him infect, and leaving me with aggro faeries. Like expected he rolls everyone but me, and we go the full 50 minutes. I end up getting third, he gets first, and gives me a pack for the deck loan.

Pauper infect
[Deck]
critters
4 glistener elf
4 ichorclaw myr
4 blight mamba
2 cystbearer
2 corpse cur

Pumps
4 mutagenic growth
4 giant growth
4 rancor
n4 groundswell
4 vines of vastwood
4 ranger's guile

Lands
20 forest
[/deck]
no board, just finished it.

Aggro faeries pauper
[Deck]
faerie creatures
4 cloud faerie
4 zephyr sprite
4 spellstutter sprite
4 thieving sprite
4 latchkey faerie
2 sentinels of glen elendra

Faerie spells
4 peppersmoke
4 faerie trickery

Lands
4 dimir guildgate
4 swamp
14 island

Sideboard
4 aura flux
4 counterspell
3 waterfront bouncer
2 repel
2 exclude
[/deck]
thanks to nbw for the sig.
You do need to try to gay it up a little more.

You're like the least gay member of this clan.

And that's counting the fact that you voluntarily have sex with men.

Return to “Fires of Salvation”