R/b Aggro aka "Dos Rakis"

Threads from Standard formats since passed.

Moderators: Kaitscralt, zemanjaski, Christen

JdubCT
Newcomer
(View: POSTS_VIEWTOPIC /POSTS_VIEWTOPIC_INTO)

Postby JdubCT » Mon Dec 23, 2013 2:12 pm

@JdubCT: the deck's main weakness is itself so don't cut Magma Jets its really important for stability.
Hm, where would you suggest I throw that in my list? I could nix Erebos main and maybe cut down on Lightning Strike. But I feel like mortars are pretty integral.

magicdownunder
Tire Aficionado

Postby magicdownunder » Mon Dec 23, 2013 2:26 pm

You don't need MD card draw, this deck is running so many heavy drops and sinks you'll rarely have any turns where you can do nothing (unless you kept a horrible hand or missed land drops).

Setting up your next few turns is much more important here then drawing cards.

Enjoy Pauper, Standard, Momir, Modern and Music? then visit my channel: Video Link

dpaine88
Tire Aficionado

Postby dpaine88 » Mon Dec 23, 2013 3:56 pm

Yea I don't know why you need card draw either. I never lost because I didn't have cards or something to play.
Between the 4-5 mana creatures, Mutavault, Pack Rat, Chandra, Dragon Monstrous, I never didn't have anything to do.

Magma Jet is really really good in this deck. With all the devotion going around, it usually finds a target as well.
Burn baby burn!

Valdarith
Tire Aficionado

Postby Valdarith » Mon Dec 23, 2013 4:12 pm

Don't need to draw cards when Pack Rat makes every card in your deck live.
Check out my stream! http://www.twitch.tv/valdarith

JdubCT
Newcomer

Postby JdubCT » Mon Dec 23, 2013 4:39 pm

Yeah, after some preliminary testing I can see that.

My deck looks something more like this now:

[deck=Jdub's current Dos Packis]Creatures(22)
4 Rakdos Cackler
4 Spike Jester
4 Pack Rat
4 Chandra's Phoenix
3 Exava, Rakdos Blood Witch
3 Stormbreath Dragon

Spells (14)
//Removal
2 Dreadbore
2 Ultimate Price
1 Mizzium Mortars
//Burn
4 Lightning Strike
4 Magma Jet
//Misc
1 Whip of Erebos

Land (24)
7 Mountain
5 Swamp
4 Blood Crypt
4 Rakdos Guildgate
4 Mutavault

Sideboard (15)
3 Dark Betrayal
3 Toil // Trouble
2 Flames of the Firebrand
2 Doom Blade
2 Mizzium Mortars
1 Erebos, God of the Dead
2 Dreadbore
[/deck]
Last edited by JdubCT on Tue Dec 24, 2013 11:36 am, edited 3 times in total.

dpaine88
Tire Aficionado

Postby dpaine88 » Mon Dec 23, 2013 4:45 pm

Thanks for taking the time to upload all these Pedros!

Round 3 Game 2 - if you did what you suggested and unleashed exava and swung to put him to 1, werent you just tapped out and dead to him making another golem, swing lethal?
Burn baby burn!

dpaine88
Tire Aficionado

Postby dpaine88 » Mon Dec 23, 2013 5:22 pm

Just watched all these videos...2 things.

1) its awesome having sped up replays, watched like the entire thing in 45 minutes.

2) Really helped watching you with Pack Rat. I wasn't going "all in" enough on it. It should have won me more games than it did.
Burn baby burn!

Purp
Tire Aficionado

Postby Purp » Mon Dec 23, 2013 5:31 pm

Pedros would mind posting a quick SB guide? Also, any cuts or changes?

yurp yurp

LaZerBurn
Tire Aficionado

Postby LaZerBurn » Mon Dec 23, 2013 5:35 pm

@ Pedros - I'll second that :) Any changes? SB Guide would be nice if you can be bothered/have time but I'm sure it ain't that difficult to figure out :)
Thanks to NerdBoyWonder for the awesome sig :)

Pedros
Tire Aficionado

Postby Pedros » Mon Dec 23, 2013 5:55 pm

I guess sb was same as with othermdecks in this forum.

Vs agro sb out cacklers and jesters for removal.
Vs black trim jets and dragons for better removal and ereboses. I didnt cut a land as I run 7 4 drops after sb, also trimming colored sources seems bad.
Vs control trim ultimate prices and pack rats for erebos, toil troubles and dreadbores/mortars depends of esper or uw.

I sb 1 erebos vs Gb and Naya control as I didnt have anything else to board plus it would act as a cart draw engine.

Dont really have ideas about cards.

Pack rats overperformed almost everytime. Remember you can burn them to take phoenix back to pitch phoenix instead of burn.

Ultimate prices were good, however I didnt know you cant target golem or mutavault with it (round 7 I thought I can kill vault to protect jester, same vs red agro in game 2 I planned to kill golem but couldnt do it and had to use mortars after getting 3 damage.)
nCacklers and jesters were good, so was exava, dragon ans phoenix. Gogo 14 hasty threads that arent easy to kill vs black (all ulticolored ones)

Both Chandra and Whip were good. Chandra apeared twice if I remember, once allowing phoenix to swing leaving opp on 1 life, and he had to kill her to not die from flyer. I got magma jet from top, but I think he was still dead on board as I had 1-2 mutavaults plus phoenix while he had dragon and 2 mana up? The other time vs red it prevented me 5 damage and he didnt got his phoenix from graveyard. I wouldnt cut her as we would be then limited to ways to recur phoenix.

Whip won me game vs red as my exava was really hard to race. It also was good vs mono blue as my phoenix and mutavaults won race - and he only have cyclonic rift temporary get rid of ir. I didnt have time to use its other ability, but it also is powerful - flashbacking exava, dragon, jester or even rat to copy seams reasonable.

Dark betrayals were outragous vs black and esper midrange humans.
Killing demons, obzedats, specters, rats for 1 mana is so good.

Didnt cast erebos or toil trouble, but I think they are good.

I would consider 1 slot in sb for midrangy decka, where you dont want erebos. Underworld connections? Rakdos Return? Cerberus? For a decks like naya control or gb midrange.
Sig by NerdBoyWonder

dpaine88
Tire Aficionado

Postby dpaine88 » Mon Dec 23, 2013 6:14 pm

Rakdos Return gets my vote!
Burn baby burn!

Pedros
Tire Aficionado

Postby Pedros » Mon Dec 23, 2013 9:43 pm

Yeah, but instead of erebos or alongside it?
Sig by NerdBoyWonder

JdubCT
Newcomer

Postby JdubCT » Mon Dec 23, 2013 10:16 pm

Yeah, but instead of erebos or alongside it?
I've done a good dozen and a half matches today with this deck. I think Erebos shines in ways that aren't readily apparent until you're in top deck mode against U/W or Esper.

PS: I've been considering Rakdos Charm. It feels like it's a great option to knock out someone spamming Elspeth or to get rid of that Pithing Needle that shuts us down so hard.

dpaine88
Tire Aficionado

Postby dpaine88 » Tue Dec 24, 2013 3:14 am

I guess Erebos, but I just have a hard time seeing him as more than Greed with the life gain thing attached to it. If he is online as a guy, its def win-more.

He obviously is amazing vs U/Wx but I just don't feel he is maindeckable. I'd rather have his Whip than him which is way more versitile IMO.

Rakdos Return I guess is crappy against Mono-Red fast aggro, but I almost never play against it personally.

Rakdos for 3 is always good and it goes up from there.

Rakdos also recurs Chandra's Pheonix.

Late game if you flood to say... 7 lands, you can do 5 to the dome as well.

Rakdos Return also can kill Planeswalkers.
Burn baby burn!

Pedros
Tire Aficionado

Postby Pedros » Tue Dec 24, 2013 9:23 am

It was never a md option imo/- I would say rakdos return and erebos is a sb only card.
Sig by NerdBoyWonder

MattT

Postby MattT » Tue Dec 24, 2013 10:16 am

It was never a md option imo/- I would say rakdos return and erebos is a sb only card.
Erebos is sb and RR needs some ramp to be md. In a Devotion build maybe, but not Aggro.

photodyer
Tire Aficionado

Postby photodyer » Tue Dec 24, 2013 11:43 am

I've been looking over the recent lists, including the original promising Rakdos work that Nuwen and Fate pioneered early in the season. Assuming that the more black-centric "Dos Packis" build is proving to be more globally viable than red-centric lists (the Pack Rat plan seems relatively essential), [card]Chandra's Phoenix[/card] seems to be relatively lackluster at the 3 slot. Yes, recursive haste with flying is good--and fantastic in a red-centric, burn-heavy list--but :symr: :symr: at 3 is hard, particularly with Mutavault in place for the rats. JDub is trying out Flailer, but in our early discussions we set him aside simply because the the removal profiles of the prevalent decks
leave him hard to capitalize with...having to play around Verdict and removal really makes him awkward.

Given these issues relevant to the deck's structure and the current meta, might [card]Mogis's Marauder[/card] be worthy of consideration in the 3 slot? He is at worst 2/2 evasive haste for 3 against most of the meta; when you consider that he could come down in back of a pack of rats and make them all unblockable for an alpha swing, he begins to shape up as an efficient finisher. And with Whip in the build as well, he becomes a second evasion spell.

The downside for Marauder is that he pretty much sucks in the mirror. According to MTGTOP8 stats as of today, Black Devo is currently 21% of the meta; if you consider all the other decks in which black creatures are relevant, that means that Marauder is handicapped in between 1-in-4 and 1-in-5 matches. Does his potential upside--giving evasion to pretty much the rest of your field--make up for this? I'm not sure, but I think
it truly warrants testing. Phoenix is a great card, but in this build, I think Marauder could have significant impact, particularly in consideration of the fact that he's not really on anyone's radar at the moment.

I intend to give him a run, but I know realistically that I don't get much in the way of testing time compared to many of you. Do y'all see him as a viable option, or am I missing something fundamental in my logic?
Righteous sig by NBW

Skaldic Master of Fiery Salvation

Common Sense is now a Mythic Rare.

JdubCT
Newcomer

Postby JdubCT » Tue Dec 24, 2013 1:42 pm

I've been looking over the recent lists, including the original promising Rakdos work that Nuwen and Fate pioneered early in the season. Assuming that the more black-centric "Dos Packis" build is proving to be more globally viable than red-centric lists (the Pack Rat plan seems relatively essential), [card]Chandra's Phoenix[/card] seems to be relatively lackluster at the 3 slot. Yes, recursive haste with flying is good--and fantastic in a red-centric, burn-heavy list--but :symr: :symr: at 3 is hard, particularly with Mutavault
in place for the rats. JDub is trying out Flailer, but in our early discussions we set him aside simply because the the removal profiles of the prevalent decks leave him hard to capitalize with...having to play around Verdict and removal really makes him awkward.

Given these issues relevant to the deck's structure and the current meta, might [card]Mogis's Marauder[/card] be worthy of consideration in the 3 slot? He is at worst 2/2 evasive haste for 3 against most of the meta; when you consider that he could come down in back of a pack of rats and make them all unblockable for an alpha swing, he begins to shape up as an efficient finisher. And with Whip in the build as well, he becomes a second evasion spell.

The downside for Marauder is that he pretty much sucks in the mirror. According to MTGTOP8 stats as of today, Black Devo is currently 21% of the meta; if you consider all the other decks in which black creatures are relevant, that means that Marauder is handicapped in
between 1-in-4 and 1-in-5 matches. Does his potential upside--giving evasion to pretty much the rest of your field--make up for this? I'm not sure, but I think it truly warrants testing. Phoenix is a great card, but in this build, I think Marauder could have significant impact, particularly in consideration of the fact that he's not really on anyone's radar at the moment.

I intend to give him a run, but I know realistically that I don't get much in the way of testing time compared to many of you. Do y'all see him as a viable option, or am I missing something fundamental in my logic?
I tried, and then ultimately discarded the Flailer plan. He's too slow unless you get Exava up to be viable all by his lonesome (if I could fit hammers into the deck maybe, a 4/3 body with his sac and haste would be too good to give up).

The Phoenix, however, is a far stronger 3 slot than Mogis if you ask me. When I was considering discarding her I hadn't considered that you can use the
recursion FOR pack rats if the 2 damage flier isn't relevant.

If the phoenix is out I'd consider mixing things up for Xathrid Necromancer, switch out Spike Jester for Rakdos Shred-Freak and even potentially bring in Desecration Demons. Basically you'd be doing a black aggro with a red splash instead of Dos Packis' current split color base.

It'd end up looking like this:
[deck]Dos Packis Mortis[/deck]

Edit: Looking at this setup you could easily get Erebos online too. So I'd run him over whip and the fourth demon for 2 main deck.

Zooligan

Postby Zooligan » Tue Dec 24, 2013 2:26 pm

Pitching Phoenix to the Rat and burning to get it back, or burning to make it rise from the ashes of your GY to pitch it and make another rat is just SO GOOD...

Valdarith
Tire Aficionado

Postby Valdarith » Tue Dec 24, 2013 3:10 pm

With 8 burn spells I like Phoenix in the three slot. Obvious synergy with Pack Rat and fliers are big in the current meta. I don't like Marauder right now with the meta being so black heavy. Flailer is slow but he doesn't die to Doom Blade, Ultimate Price, or Magma Jet and wins against Nightveil Specter. Also provides late game reach.

If going with a more terror-heavy list I'd probably take out Phoenix and lower the curve. Spike Jester is an obvious replacement.

On second thought I rather like the potential of Marauder in Pack Rat lists. Against mono black you simply discard him to Pack Rat and in any other matchup he's a fantastic card.

photodyer
Tire Aficionado

Postby photodyer » Tue Dec 24, 2013 3:12 pm

I agree that Phoenix is optimal conceptually, I just question whether the black-biased deck runs enough burn to get buyback value. I love the bird in Val's build, but not as much without the extra burn. And yes, Zooligan, ditching Phoenix for value and buying it back with burn is sweet!

I'm not on with Necromancer unless you're going to run a human-centric list. We had it in the side for the low-CMC swarmy version we were running, but we had Tormented Hero, Thrill Kill Assassin, Rakdos Shred Freak, [card]Mogis's Marauder[/card] and Exava in that list to justify Necromancer. In this list I do not see it...too inconsistent to be an established threat.
Righteous sig by NBW

Skaldic Master of Fiery Salvation

Common Sense is now a Mythic Rare.

Pedros
Tire Aficionado

Postby Pedros » Tue Dec 24, 2013 3:24 pm

Boros Legions, big Boros deck only run 8 MD burn + 2 Chandras. We are running 1 less source in 1 less chandra, couse we are testing Whip/Chandra/additional terror split. We might end with 2 chandra, dont know.

Phoenix is fantastic card, and is good for subtheme - 14 hasty creatures.

If u see my replays often I didnt have problem of casting phoenix on turn 3, also vs agro if u play control it is mostly better to kill someting and develop your mana. Curently it is the best 3 drop for our deck. Against heavy removal deck Flailer will die before you have mana to explode him.

As for Rakdos Charm it is interesting idea, however dont know if needed. If they tap out for elspeth you may fly over the top with phoenix/dragon, burn it or dreadbore it or just kill him. Killing artifacts is narrow as you name mutavaults and chandra only.

Did anyone had time to test MD split of ;

1 Whip
1 Chandra

and can say if we keep
the split or go 2 of sth?

Same about SB, how do we get slot for Rakdos Return and do we need it?
Sig by NerdBoyWonder

JdubCT
Newcomer

Postby JdubCT » Tue Dec 24, 2013 4:48 pm

Boros Legions, big Boros deck only run 8 MD burn + 2 Chandras. We are running 1 less source in 1 less chandra, couse we are testing Whip/Chandra/additional terror split. We might end with 2 chandra, dont know.

Phoenix is fantastic card, and is good for subtheme - 14 hasty creatures.

If u see my replays often I didnt have problem of casting phoenix on turn 3, also vs agro if u play control it is mostly better to kill someting and develop your mana. Curently it is the best 3 drop for our deck. Against heavy removal deck Flailer will die before you have mana to explode him.

As for Rakdos Charm it is interesting idea, however dont know if needed. If they tap out for elspeth you may fly over the top with phoenix/dragon, burn it or dreadbore it or just kill him.
Killing artifacts is narrow as you name mutavaults and chandra only.

Did anyone had time to test MD split of ;

1 Whip
1 Chandra

and can say if we keep the split or go 2 of sth?

Same about SB, how do we get slot for Rakdos Return and do we need it?
I have tried the split with Whip and Erebos(but he works alright as a chandra analog for my evaluation). I've found that in matches where I want whip I don't want chandra/erebos and if they pop up it feels like a wasted opportunity and vice versa. I'm somewhat inclined to say that if we're going to run either it should be in multiples of 2 just so you can actually reliably consider it part of the deck.

Pedros
Tire Aficionado

Postby Pedros » Tue Dec 24, 2013 6:48 pm

Why would you even run erebos in md?

Chandra is much better than erebos that it isnt even funny. How you can even compare them? Erebos is mostly for greed effect. Drawing card is jusft extra.

Whip is exceptional in agressive matchups, but bringing back hasty beaters is also good. Wip is also good n combination with erebos, as he might be alive and more life = more cards.
Sig by NerdBoyWonder

dpaine88
Tire Aficionado

Postby dpaine88 » Tue Dec 24, 2013 7:45 pm

Not sure how I got the idea someome suggested MD Erebos, my bad.

It probably is a bit better than RakDos return, I just really fucking love Rakdos's Return. The nice thing is Erebos can be Detetion Spered but Rakdos Return usually resolves because they side out a lot of countermagic against us.
Burn baby burn!

Pedros
Tire Aficionado

Postby Pedros » Tue Dec 24, 2013 7:52 pm

I think JDubCT was saying to run Erebos mb over Chandra.

I like both Return and Erebos.

Anyone got any more testing about MD / SB?
Sig by NerdBoyWonder

JdubCT
Newcomer

Postby JdubCT » Tue Dec 24, 2013 8:59 pm

I think JDubCT was saying to run Erebos mb over Chandra.

I like both Return and Erebos.

Anyone got any more testing about MD / SB?
No, I was saying that I was testing Erebos but, regardless of how that went (mediocrely), "one ofs" was insufficient to count on him at all. If you're going to need Chandra a 2fer is pretty optimal.

I think double whip, however, is the way to go. Chandra doesn't affect as many matchups as whip does and having it be more reliably in hand during a match is nothing but a good thing.

magicdownunder
Tire Aficionado

Postby magicdownunder » Wed Dec 25, 2013 1:19 am

No, I was saying that I was testing Erebos but, regardless of how that went (mediocrely), "one ofs" was insufficient to count on him at all. If you're going to need Chandra a 2fer is pretty optimal.

I think double whip, however, is the way to go. Chandra doesn't affect as many matchups as whip does and having it be more reliably in hand during a match is nothing but a good thing.
Your primary attacking force here is on the ground, Chandra falter ability is almost all Star in this deck against Aggro - vs Control she is CA or a ticking timebomb... you get all of this with just a small small cost of 4cc.

Whip is also strong in many MUs esp. aggro however you need to pay a large investment of mana to make it
decent vs Bx Devotion and Control.

1/1 Chandra/whip or 2 Chandra is correct, 2 whip is wrong for an aggro deck (though you run an extra one the side for the aggro MU).

Also in regards to the MD I'll recommend 2 Dreadbore, 2 Ultimate price or 2 Dreadbore, 1 Doomblade and 1 Ultimate price over the 3 Ultimate version.

Enjoy Pauper, Standard, Momir, Modern and Music? then visit my channel: Video Link

zemanjaski
Tire Aficionado

Postby zemanjaski » Wed Dec 25, 2013 1:59 am

Whip of Erobos and Mogis's Marauder suck.

Glad I could help.
1 - Drunk, surly zem
2 - Nice, modest zem
3 - Bragpost zem
4 - Confident and funny zem
5 - Condescending jerk zem
6 - Self-aware zem
Everyone's a winner, we're making our fame,
Bona fide hustler making my name

magicdownunder
Tire Aficionado

Postby magicdownunder » Wed Dec 25, 2013 2:08 am

Whip of Erobos and Mogis's Marauder suck.

Glad I could help.
I agree on Marauder and I'm well aware that neither of us has tested (this version) RB in current standard, but if I was go by Johnny_Spike comments a resolved Whip in RB is almost un-winnable for aggro.

Keep in mind they're not running Shock, YP$ or Ash so having an ace in the hole for Aggro is important.

LP, of the Fires
Tire Aficionado

Postby LP, of the Fires » Wed Dec 25, 2013 2:19 am

Of all the agro guilds(rakdos, gruul, boros) rakdos always struck me as by far the worst in the mirror and whip gives you a trump.
You gotta understand, I love the beatdown. I really do. I always have.

Beatdown is hard, though.

Patrick chapin

Pedros
Tire Aficionado

Postby Pedros » Wed Dec 25, 2013 3:06 am

To be honest I didnt yet loose to agro with this deck. First of all Whip, second Terrors (better for Gx agro), third pack rat.

Is 4 answers for master enough? If I change ultimate price for dreadbore should I get 1 more removal for master or is it not needed?

Played 7 matches after changes

2-0 BU control
2-1 U Devo
0-2 WB control (first time playing vs this deck, but in both games he had 3 blood barons and was at 1 for mayority of time)
2-0 BU control
2-1 U Devo
1-2 UG Flash (However before won all matches vs this deck so I guess I just punted somewhere)
1-2 U Devo (forgot mutavaults got +1/+1 from master and didnt leave blocker, he was at 6 and would kill him next turn if I left any blocker for vault. BTW He topdecked 3 masters without thassa after I killed everything he had)
Sig by NerdBoyWonder

Purp
Tire Aficionado

Postby Purp » Wed Dec 25, 2013 3:13 am

whats your current list pedros?

yurp yurp

Valdarith
Tire Aficionado

Postby Valdarith » Wed Dec 25, 2013 4:47 am

Regarding Rakdos's Return, I'll add that for a time I actually tested Sire of Insanity in its place and actually ended up preferring it. It's better in the majority of cases against UWx because it negates our opponent's outs via Sphinx's Revelation since the cards he draws during his turn are simply discarded on end step. It's almost impossible for them to beat a resolved Sire whereas they can power through a Rakdos's Return more easily.

Keftenk

Postby Keftenk » Wed Dec 25, 2013 6:11 am

I've been really liking Rakdos's Return in place of Whip

dpaine88
Tire Aficionado

Postby dpaine88 » Wed Dec 25, 2013 6:17 am

@MDU - I agree 3 Ultimate Price felt wrong but damn, I just really want 3+ Maindeck answers to MonoU. Maybe 2 Ulti Price, 1 Doom Blade? I think the Rat helps a lot since we can pitch bad removal if we need to.

@ Pedros - What changes did you make?
Burn baby burn!

zemanjaski
Tire Aficionado

Postby zemanjaski » Wed Dec 25, 2013 6:26 am

Do not maindeck Doom Blade.
1 - Drunk, surly zem
2 - Nice, modest zem
3 - Bragpost zem
4 - Confident and funny zem
5 - Condescending jerk zem
6 - Self-aware zem
Everyone's a winner, we're making our fame,
Bona fide hustler making my name

Keftenk

Postby Keftenk » Wed Dec 25, 2013 8:32 am

Been playing this since the PTQ and I have been having some really nice games.
Getting a few Rakdos's Return blow outs where the opponent just can't establish anything after is really nice to see.

Still a bit unsure about 2 Erebos in the SB...

[deck]
Land -24
4 Mutavault
4 Blood Crypt
4 Rakdos Guildgate
10 Mountain
2 Temple of Silence

Creatue - 22
4 Rakdos Cackler
4 Pack Rat
4 Spike Jester
4 Chandra's Phoenix
3 Stormbreath Dragon

Instant - 11
4 Lightning Strike
4 Magma Jet
3 Ultimate Price

Sorcery - 2
1 Dreadbore
1 Rakdos's Return

Planeswalker - 1
1 Chandra, Pyromaster

Sideboard - 15
3 Toil // Trouble
2 Dark Betrayal
2 Erebos, God of the Dead
1 Flames of the Firebrand
3 Mizzium Mortars
2 Doom Blade
Dreadbore
[/deck]

Pedros
Tire Aficionado

Postby Pedros » Wed Dec 25, 2013 1:02 pm

whats your current list pedros?
I was testing:

[deck]
4 Rakdos Cackler
4 Pack Rat
4 Spike Jester
4 Chandra's Phoenix
3 Stormbreath Dragon

4 Lightning Strike
4 Magma Jet
2 Ultimate Price
2 Dreadbore

1 Whip of Erebos
1 Chandra, Pyromaster

3 Mutavault
5 Swamp
8 Mountain
4 Blood Crypt
4 Rakdos Guildgate

Sideboard
3 Toil/Trouble
2 Erebos, God of the Dead
2 Doom Blade
2 Dreadbore
1 Flames of the Firebrand
3 Mizzium Mortars
2 Dark Betrayal
[/deck]
I've been really liking Rakdos's Return in place of Whip
This is interesting idea, however I would like to have an access for Whip for agressive Matchups (maybe even 2 of them) as
MDU said if we resolve whip vs any agro deck it is almost gg for them. You can easily race then plus use creatures in graveyard as additional card advantage.
Regarding Rakdos's Return, I'll add that for a time I actually tested Sire of Insanity in its place and actually ended up preferring it. It's better in the majority of cases against UWx because it negates our opponent's outs via Sphinx's Revelation since the cards he draws during his turn are simply discarded on end step. It's almost impossible for them to beat a resolved Sire whereas they can power through a Rakdos's Return more easily.
Yeah, however Sire of Insanity cost 6 mana every time. Rakdos Return can be used for 2 or 3 sometimes, allows us to kill planeswalker. Also dont forget Sire of Insanity is simetrical plus if they dont have counterspells they overload on spot removals (not in UW list).
@MDU - I agree 3 Ultimate Price felt wrong but
damn, I just really want 3+ Maindeck answers to MonoU. Maybe 2 Ulti Price, 1 Doom Blade? I think the Rat helps a lot since we can pitch bad removal if we need to.
I am in a same spot as you are. I would like to have more removal for master, however Dreadbore is more universal removal ;/ Tight spot, currently 6-1 vs Mono Blue (4 games with 3 Ultimate Prices MD, 2-1 with only 2, however lost game was lost from my punt not for removals).
Been playing this since the PTQ and I have been having some really nice games.
Getting a few Rakdos's Return blow outs where the opponent just can't establish anything after is really nice to see.

Still a bit unsure about 2 Erebos in the SB...

<style>.decktbl {border:3px outset #00A3DD; border-radius:2px;} #dk1 td{width:225px;vertical-align:top;border:1px solid #00A3DD; padding:15px;} #dk1 th{text-align:left; color:white; background:#00A3DD; border:3px outset #00A3DD; padding:5px 15px;}</style><
table class="decktbl" id="dk1"><tbody><tr><th colspan="3">Deck</th></tr><tr><td><b>Land -24</b>
4 <a href="http://deckbox.org/mtg/Mutavault">Mutavault</a>
4 <a href="http://deckbox.org/mtg/Blood Crypt">Blood Crypt</a>
4 <a href="http://deckbox.org/mtg/Rakdos Guildgate">Rakdos Guildgate</a>
10 <a href="http://deckbox.org/mtg/Mountain">Mountain</a>
2 <a href="http://deckbox.org/mtg/Temple of Silence">Temple of Silence</a>

<b>Creatue - 22</b>
4 <a href="http://deckbox.org/mtg/Rakdos Cackler">Rakdos Cackler</a>
4 <a href="http://deckbox.org/mtg/Pack Rat">Pack Rat</a>
4 <a href="http://deckbox.org/mtg/Spike Jester">Spike Jester</a>
4 <a href="http://deckbox.org/mtg/Chandra'
s Phoenix">Chandra's Phoenix</a>
3 <a href="http://deckbox.org/mtg/Exava, Rakdos Blood Witch">Exava, Rakdos Blood Witch</a>
3 <a href="http://deckbox.org/mtg/Stormbreath Dragon">Stormbreath Dragon</a>

</td><td><b>Instant - 11</b>
4 <a href="http://deckbox.org/mtg/Lightning Strike">Lightning Strike</a>
4 <a href="http://deckbox.org/mtg/Magma Jet">Magma Jet</a>
3 <a href="http://deckbox.org/mtg/Ultimate Price">Ultimate Price</a>

<b>Sorcery - 2</b>
1 <a href="http://deckbox.org/mtg/Dreadbore">Dreadbore</a>
1 <a href="http://deckbox.org/mtg/Rakdos's Return">Rakdos's Return</a>

<b>Planeswalker - 1</b>
1 <a href="http://deckbox.org/mtg/Chandra, Pyromaster">Chandra, Pyromaster</a>

[b:
296bq8oc]</td><td><b>Sideboard - 15[/b]</b>
3 <a href="http://deckbox.org/mtg/Toil // Trouble">Toil // Trouble</a>
2 <a href="http://deckbox.org/mtg/Dark Betrayal">Dark Betrayal</a>
2 <a href="http://deckbox.org/mtg/Erebos, God of the Dead">Erebos, God of the Dead</a>
1 <a href="http://deckbox.org/mtg/Flames of the Firebrand">Flames of the Firebrand</a>
3 <a href="http://deckbox.org/mtg/Mizzium Mortars">Mizzium Mortars</a>
2 <a href="http://deckbox.org/mtg/Doom Blade">Doom Blade</a>
2 <a href="http://deckbox.org/mtg/Dreadbore">Dreadbore</a>
</td></tr></tbody></table>
How was your manabase? I can see only 10 black sources and it scares me so much. 6 of them comes tapped too. I understand you cut Whip (and without whip we dont need so many black sources) but it might not be
consistent enough with only 10 sources.

How was Rakdos's Return in MD? Was dead sometimes? How big was X most of the time?

How were scrylands? I was thinking of adding some of them, but didnt know how many tap lands I want? This question is for everyone, how many taplands (scrylands) would you preffer to play NOW (as we dont have any scrylands in Rakdos right now, later It would be easily 4 scry lands + 1 gate probably)

How do you feel about Erebos and why you dont like it? Drawing cards in agro deck is awsome ;)
How were agro matchups without whips?
Sig by NerdBoyWonder

Keftenk

Postby Keftenk » Wed Dec 25, 2013 1:23 pm

I do need to change up the mana base. I was having some games where I'd be seeing a lot of red/mutavault. I even had a good 6-8 games in the 50 or so games I played yesterday that would only show 1 land. I'm just being greedy with the color base, that's all. In the PTQ I had a much-much more stable mana base.

RR was never truly dead, I'll even go after them on turn4 for 2 if I don't have a drop to play. Maybe I just use it differently? If I can't play anything a turn and its in my hand, it's most likely going to be cast. Though how I use it, I'm not sure if it's TRULY worth the slot/value.

Temples really helped a lot at getting what I need on top, can't wait for Malice!

That's the thing, I don't like Erebos (as much) without the whip because I take far too much damage. Not that health should be an issue, but it really is when I'm going against anything that can flip out burn spells, it makes justifying
Erebos harder IMO. Perhaps it's just that particular match up. Maybe that's my problem though, I don't even think twice about bringing Erebos in vs aggro. Lawls? D:

Return to “Archives”