[Fedoras of Salvation] - White Knights ITT

Moderator: redthirst

Helios
Tire Aficionado
(View: POSTS_VIEWTOPIC /POSTS_VIEWTOPIC_INTO)

Postby Helios » Sun Jan 12, 2014 7:36 am

Ya'll until he makes any actual claims of originality, let's not do any shit-talking or pissing-on, yea? He straight up said in the PyroRed thread that he was playing a list from here, his teammates just probably weren't aware of where he got the it and only saw him sleeving cards.

Alex
Not Even MAD

Postby Alex » Sun Jan 12, 2014 7:38 am

Ya'll until he makes any actual claims of originality, let's not do any shit-talking or pissing-on, yea? He straight up said in the PyroRed thread that he was playing a list from here, his teammates just probably weren't aware of where he got the it and only saw him sleeving cards.
To put my comment into context...

Wasn't really shittalking the dude, just making some cross-medium references. :teach: Apparently the guy Khaos played wasn't the same dude.

Helios
Tire Aficionado

Postby Helios » Sun Jan 12, 2014 7:41 am

Oh yea I know you weren't shit-talking him, things are just getting feisty here and in the Pyrothread. I'd make a comment about putting out fires before they start, but this is probably the wrong clan for that XD

Alex
Not Even MAD

Postby Alex » Sun Jan 12, 2014 7:46 am

I can understand people wanting credit where credit is due, especially for those of us that are invested in the growth of the site, since this could mean a significant rise in traffic and fresh meat.

This is one of the few times I think you guys will ever see me do anything close to being an admin, but here it goes:

Let's chill this out and see what happens. :sherlock: I'm even keeping my pitchfork in the shed today, and I'm usually the first one to whip it out!

LP, of the Fires
Tire Aficionado

Postby LP, of the Fires » Sun Jan 12, 2014 7:52 am

I'll read the thread later, but I'm salty and venting. Finisihed sixteenth in a PTQ today when I should have at least been able to play for top 8 in the last round. RW devotion as always. First and second seeds after swiss?

Mark Herberholz and Paul Cheon.
You gotta understand, I love the beatdown. I really do. I always have.

Beatdown is hard, though.

Patrick chapin

LP, of the Fires
Tire Aficionado

Postby LP, of the Fires » Sun Jan 12, 2014 8:41 am

Relevant Facts:

Herberholz finished undefeated in the swiss with what looked like Shota UB control while dreamcrushing someone playing 16 land boss sligh in the final round.

Top 8 was UW, UB, Mono-black x2, Naya(beat me), Mono-red sligh(beat me), I think mono-green, and I don't know what else.

Patrick chapin

magicdownunder
Tire Aficionado

Postby magicdownunder » Sun Jan 12, 2014 9:42 am

I hope this won't mean we'll see a wave of UB on MODO... (I hate playing against UB)

Enjoy Pauper, Standard, Momir, Modern and Music? then visit my channel: Video Link

zemanjaski
Tire Aficionado

Postby zemanjaski » Sun Jan 12, 2014 9:44 am

I like playing with it >:)
1 - Drunk, surly zem
2 - Nice, modest zem
3 - Bragpost zem
4 - Confident and funny zem
5 - Condescending jerk zem
6 - Self-aware zem
Everyone's a winner, we're making our fame,
Bona fide hustler making my name

LP, of the Fires
Tire Aficionado

Postby LP, of the Fires » Sun Jan 12, 2014 9:53 am

From Cheon's Twitter, the winning deck was Esper control beating Cheon's UW in the finals.

Patrick chapin

RaidaTheBlade
Tire Aficionado

Postby RaidaTheBlade » Sun Jan 12, 2014 9:57 am

So, I kinda have a question for everybody.
I'm starting to feel kinda bummed out and burned out about magic.

I'm tired of switching decks a lot, and wanna stick with R/b, but it's so inconsistent that I just get really frustrated. I also am bummed out because I am starting to feel like there's no point in paying for bigger tourneys when I'm too crap to place well, and am questioning myself hard on that.

What do y'all do to keep from being burned out? At this rate I might just drop everything sides from casual play until born of the gods.
I, for one, would like to welcome our new firebreathing narwhal overlords.

magicdownunder
Tire Aficionado

Postby magicdownunder » Sun Jan 12, 2014 10:12 am

I'm tired of switching decks a lot, and wanna stick with R/b, but it's so inconsistent that I just get really frustrated. I also am bummed out because I am starting to feel like there's no point in paying for bigger tourneys when I'm too crap to place well, and am questioning myself hard on that.

What do y'all do to keep from being burned out? At this rate I might just drop everything sides from casual play until born of the gods.
I primarily play online so whenever I get burned out with a format I just switch to something else (usually pauper magic because that the easier format to grind out wins in) that's harder to do
IRL but what you can do is just play a few casual games with your mates rebuild your confidences and start over - if you keep playing while your down it usual just ends up being worst.

Its important to keep in mind I do play magic for free (at a profit) so its slightly harder for me to get burned out.

Enjoy Pauper, Standard, Momir, Modern and Music? then visit my channel: Video Link

Lightning_Dolt
Tire Aficionado

Postby Lightning_Dolt » Sun Jan 12, 2014 10:22 am

Won the Mikawa Magic Convention Open with a perfect record today :)

Feeling confident for my PTQ tomorrow.

Lightning_Dolt
Tire Aficionado

Postby Lightning_Dolt » Sun Jan 12, 2014 10:24 am

Wow, the deck that Top 4'd in Orlando HAS EVERY SINGLE PIECE OF TECH EVER DISCUSSED straight from the PyroRed Thread. From the 3/1 split on Shock and Flames to Pyrewild Shaman to sideboard Fanatic of Mogis and Rod of Ruin.

There is no fucking way anybody else thought of this list without coming to DtR first.

http://sales.starcitygames.com//deckdat ... ckID=62527
Agreed. Forum member / Lurker. Has to be.

zemanjaski
Tire Aficionado

Postby zemanjaski » Sun Jan 12, 2014 10:39 am

There is a point you cross (probably when you go infinite) that the game is just always fun; you're always playing a good deck, you're usually playing very well and you feel like you get out what you put into the game. Before that point though, it can get exhausting. My advice would be to enjoy reading theory articles, watch old matches or streams instead of playing; sometimes you need a break from actually playing but you can still improve your skills and knowledgoe.

Maybe start a Magic project? Like a Q&A thread where you find questions from your own games, then research and hunt down answers to present to the community for discussion? Anything that can make the game fun for you short term while you wait for the next bout of inspiration.

In regards to results, I would look at JS over the last 18 months. He's had a lot of individual up and downs, with good results mixed in with bad results; but on average his
results have continued to improve and improve; sometimes you can only see the benefit over a long enough period of time. Maybe have a chat with him, he's probably a stage or two ahead of you in development and will have recently gone through many of the same frustrations.
1 - Drunk, surly zem
2 - Nice, modest zem
3 - Bragpost zem
6 - Self-aware zem

Lightning_Dolt
Tire Aficionado

Postby Lightning_Dolt » Sun Jan 12, 2014 10:44 am

@ Raida, happy to help anyway I can. I have experienced burn-out too. I was considering not attending GP Shizuoka because I was burnt-out. A friend encouraged me, told me he believed I could make day 2, and it made all the difference.

RedNihilist
Tire Aficionado

Postby RedNihilist » Sun Jan 12, 2014 11:06 am

L2P n00b! e.e

DerWille

Postby DerWille » Sun Jan 12, 2014 12:25 pm

I sort of went through this a few weeks ago for about a month. I wasn't enjoying standard and looking at anything magic related was tiresome. I didn't post anything for a month.

I still went
to my weekly FNM but that was about it. During that time, I did something else. Worked on my Japanese, focused more on drawing, and went on a bit of Zelda binge (Zelda 2 is the worst Zelda game ever. I like hard but it's not fun hard. It's just the game fucking with you). Thinking and doing 1 thing all the time can be draining and resting is okay.

One thing that helped me be interested in Magic was that one of my local FNMs had a few draft tournaments. It was different and it required me to think a bit. I didn't have to go against mono-black and mono-green devotion again, again, and again. It tested other skills. It gave me some new scenarios to think about, especially when it comes to mana bases and whether or not the mana screw my opponents kept getting was luck or because of how they built their deck (I'm referring to a Ravnica block draft I won with 0 rares, little removal, no card draw, but a lot of mana sinks, mana fixing, and color requirements that were basically black splash red and white).

LaZerBurn
Tire Aficionado

Postby LaZerBurn » Sun Jan 12, 2014 1:45 pm

Thanks for posting this, it's reassuring to know I'm not the only one who gets frustrated :) As far as what to do
goes, I try my best to step back mentally and re-evaluate things and see them from a different perspective; I say try as this is very much a WIP and I don't always succeed! :)

Attaining excellence in anything takes time, practice and patience and taking a rest to recharge your batteries when you feel burnt out, either altogether or by trying a different format is part of the process; you've come on a lot and started posting some good results and a break won't do you any harm :)
Thanks to NerdBoyWonder for the awesome sig :)

Yarpus
Tire Aficionado

Postby Yarpus » Sun Jan 12, 2014 2:03 pm

I demand my credit for Pyrewild Fucker.

Lightning_Dolt
Tire Aficionado

Postby Lightning_Dolt » Sun Jan 12, 2014 2:56 pm

Sweet fucking sig Lazer!

LaZerBurn
Tire Aficionado

Postby LaZerBurn » Sun Jan 12, 2014 2:59 pm

Thanks J_S :D

Kaitscralt
A frog among toads

Postby Kaitscralt » Sun Jan 12, 2014 3:05 pm

don't play rb
Standard hobos who play budget garbage should be looked upon with suspicion.

Pendulum
Tire Aficionado

Postby Pendulum » Sun Jan 12, 2014 3:20 pm

@Raida: burn out is just the body's natural response to something it find unrewarding. The chemicals released (which I'm too lazy to look up right now) are surprisingly close to those released by the body in a state of depression, although in much lower doses, and the answer is one of the simplest equations you're going to find in biochemistry: find something that makes you feel good... no, seriously. The chemicals released by 'good feels' directly nullify those made by 'bad feels,' and your body craves those good feels chemicals. This is where it gets a bit more personal, as everyone is different and their situations are different too; for me, the answer was as simple as finding an LGS that was within drunken-stumbling distance of a karaoke bar and someone who was willing to be the designated driver. Long as I get to sing Stairway at the end of the night, I'm good. Finding your center might not be that easy for you, but I've also found a lot of the tips and tricks people use to stay on their exercise regimens ports over pretty well to Magic:

- Find a personal trainer: this is considered the silver bullet of training. Someone who can help you push towards your goals, help you through the rough times, and basically just hold you accountable for your time spent on Magic. It turns your time from something entirely selfish to part of a community effort, and that's where humans work best. If you're feeling down about your time playing Magic, it might be time to work towards building a collective card pool, a gaming team, or just try to bring your playtesting to the next level [for instance, if you just have a couple of people come over to play every few days, it might be time to solidify that time into a "every Sunday" group or whatever, and bring snacks, drinks, and play music in the background for a better party
atmosphere]
- Set mini-goals: a lot of people stop enjoying Magic because they stagnate out waiting for those 'big time' dividends to pay off.. until you get to the point where you're, um, Z, it seems like too much of an uphill battle. What works pretty well is making bets with your friends as to which one of you can accomplish something other than winning the tournament or game... "I can 2-0 more opponents than you can, whoever loses gives the winner a pack" means your still in the running for something even if you're not invested in winning the whole thing. Some creativity can help create even better mini-wins, to help give you something personal you're willing to fight for. Even barring that, making a bet with yourself, like, "I only get to sing Stairway if I beat that one fat kid everyone hates" can give you something to look forward to not only short-term but long-term as well.
- Keep a journal: a journal is like the most personal personal
trainer you can get; it works as a way to gauge your progress, but also allows you to use very personal reasons as justification for your performance and you will always learn something no matter how you played it out.. "I felt fuzzy and biffed that draw" is something you might not want to tell your buddies but in a journal helps you explore what you mean and what the effect was, so that when it happens again you can prepare for it.

LaZerBurn
Tire Aficionado

Postby LaZerBurn » Sun Jan 12, 2014 4:19 pm

Kaitscralt you make me smile :)

photodyer
Tire Aficionado

Postby photodyer » Sun Jan 12, 2014 4:57 pm

Running crazy around here right now and need to catch up, but here's an awesome shirt from RIPT Apparel for all you Trigun fans:

Righteous sig by NBW

Skaldic Master of Fiery Salvation

Common Sense is now a Mythic Rare.

zemanjaski
Tire Aficionado

Postby zemanjaski » Sun Jan 12, 2014 5:21 pm

Alright I need someone to act as a midway point, I'm buying that tshirts. Who wants to help a redbro out?
1 - Drunk, surly zem
2 - Nice, modest zem
3 - Bragpost zem
6 - Self-aware zem

Kaitscralt
A frog among toads

Postby Kaitscralt » Sun Jan 12, 2014 5:42 pm

you guys get way too upset over people playing decks that you attribute to yourselves. you should be flattered if anything.

Kaitscralt
A frog among toads

Postby Kaitscralt » Sun Jan 12, 2014 5:43 pm

but i guess when you have so little

Kaitscralt
A frog among toads

Postby Kaitscralt » Sun Jan 12, 2014 5:44 pm

if it's not a really out-there brew, don't expect to be given credit, be glad people are trying out your ideas

Captain Murphy
The highest high, I'm Ayatollah

Postby Captain Murphy » Sun Jan 12, 2014 6:25 pm

Just play blue that always nets some wins
It's too bad we don't have a secret subforum where we can coordinate troll attempts where only we can see so that we don't have to catch on because only one of us is an actual rocket scientist.
I am particularly interested in committing internet genocide
in soviet gutter, New York somewhere in you

Kaitscralt
A frog among toads

Postby Kaitscralt » Sun Jan 12, 2014 6:32 pm

Just play blue that always nets some wins
oh i get it, nets like fishing nets

:stupid:

Khaospawn
Khaospawn's beautiful and unique title

Postby Khaospawn » Sun Jan 12, 2014 6:43 pm

you guys get way too upset over people playing decks that you attribute to yourselves. you should be flattered if anything.
I may have overreacted a little bit. After being awake since 5 am,road tripping to Orlando, playing my ass of for ten rounds, and then coming back, I was pretty tired and just "out there." I'm actually really happy for James Kerr, but it was the things some of the people said in Orlando that made me think that James was going to pull a Woo.

It actually is flattering. I was just fearful of everyone's hard work not getting credited. And I really want DiesToRemoval to start getting more recognition.
In a pinch, Khaos' beard can help turn this around.
I rarely skip a Khaospawn wall of text because I know there is always piss at the end of the rainbow.

Jack
Tire Aficionado

Postby Jack » Sun Jan 12, 2014 7:00 pm

Yo, read my Riku primer. I spent a lot of time on it, and would appreciate a bit of feedback and discussion. I just added a creative and well-organized decklist section. Sometimes, I don't like being humble.
Sig by NBW.

Kazekirimaru
Tire Aficionado

Postby Kazekirimaru » Sun Jan 12, 2014 8:15 pm

So, someone set fire to a decent chunk of my city's walmart today.

Wraith223
Tire Aficionado

Postby Wraith223 » Sun Jan 12, 2014 8:33 pm

Your city only has one walmart? They are locusts in quantity where I live. Anyone hurt? How many stopped to take pictures or videos before actually helping?

Redthirst, you watching the panthers and 49ers game. It's a Texas rule to support any team facing a California team.
Author of Gunning for Tactical/Practical - http://diestoremoval.com/viewtopic.php?f=23&t=2103
Current Decks
Commander- Kaalia (Dega) and Nekusar (Grixis)
Modern- UB Faeries and Splinter Twin
Standard- Mono-black Devotion
You drive badass things.
Xenphire Sig.

Wraith223
Tire Aficionado

Postby Wraith223 » Sun Jan 12, 2014 8:38 pm

I only play FNM but I am slightly burned out as well on FNM as all I have been seeing is mono blue or UW. Boring! I play 3 matches of commander before playing FNM. Also, I work out everyday now
and it is a mind breather to play magic now between that. Balence out your day to keep your mind fresh and busy to keep the daily grind at a minimum. It's a mind game. Work does not count.
Author of Gunning for Tactical/Practical - http://diestoremoval.com/viewtopic.php?f=23&t=2103
Current Decks
Commander- Kaalia (Dega) and Nekusar (Grixis)
Modern- UB Faeries and Splinter Twin
Standard- Mono-black Devotion
You drive badass things.
Xenphire Sig.

Kazekirimaru
Tire Aficionado

Postby Kazekirimaru » Sun Jan 12, 2014 8:45 pm

Your city only has one walmart? They are locusts in quantity where I live. Anyone hurt? How many stopped to take pictures or videos before actually helping?

Redthirst, you watching the panthers and 49ers game. It's a Texas rule to support any team facing a California team.
Technically there's four or five in the metro area, but only one in the town proper.

I don't think anyone is hurt - the fire was apparently a diversion of sorts. Some guy poured accelerant all over the clothing section and lit it up; while everyone was distracted he smashed the display case in the electronics department, filled up pillow case in true cat burglar style, and took off.

Valdarith
Tire Aficionado

Postby Valdarith » Sun Jan 12, 2014 8:59 pm

I only play FNM but I am slightly
burned out as well on FNM as all I have been seeing is mono blue or UW. Boring! I play 3 matches of commander before playing FNM. Also, I work out everyday now and it is a mind breather to play magic now between that. Balence out your day to keep your mind fresh and busy to keep the daily grind at a minimum. It's a mind game. Work does not count.
Bro do you even lift?
Check out my stream! http://www.twitch.tv/valdarith

Kazekirimaru
Tire Aficionado

Postby Kazekirimaru » Sun Jan 12, 2014 9:02 pm

I only play FNM but I am slightly burned out as well on FNM as all I have been seeing is mono blue or UW. Boring! I play 3 matches of commander before playing FNM. Also, I work out everyday now and it is a mind breather to play magic now between that. Balence out your day to keep your mind fresh and busy to keep the daily grind at a minimum. It's a mind game. Work does not count.
Totally agree with the EDH > FNM sentiment.

Alex
Not Even MAD

Postby Alex » Sun Jan 12, 2014 9:09 pm

Considering bitching out some people at SCG.

"Mono red." Really? Like, seriously?

http://sales.starcitygames.com//deckdat ... ckID=62527

Return to “Fires of Salvation”