[Fedoras of Salvation] - White Knights ITT

Moderator: redthirst

Lightning_Dolt
Tire Aficionado
(View: POSTS_VIEWTOPIC /POSTS_VIEWTOPIC_INTO)

Postby Lightning_Dolt » Sun Mar 02, 2014 7:40 am

I still want your babies Zem.
me too.

RaidaTheBlade
Tire Aficionado

Postby RaidaTheBlade » Sun Mar 02, 2014 8:06 am

I still want your babies Zem.
me too.
And me!

Also, I played in a game day today. First standard thing I've done in about a month. It actually felt really good to play again, and I felt like I was playing well too. Got 4-0, 2-0ing every match, and got the playmat :3
Good way to return, imo.

Also, not sure what to do with the mat. I like it and the raging minotaurs, but I like my chandra one more...
Should I trying selling or trading it off, or should I start collecting? Cause I've got 2 game day mats and the custom one I got from that one tourney...
I, for one, would like to welcome our new firebreathing narwhal overlords.

TBuzzsaw
Tire Aficionado

Postby TBuzzsaw » Sun Mar 02, 2014 8:44 am

Good job Raida. I got second at game day with my Jund Haste list. I flooded when it mattered most. :(

Oh well, I still have my Theros Champion mat. I wish I had the Merciless Eviction one from Gatecrash though.

DarthStabber
Tire Aficionado

Postby DarthStabber » Sun Mar 02, 2014 8:50 am

Sitting down with a bowl and a bowl of mac and cheese. Couldn't be a better way to end a day.
thanks to nbw for the sig.
You do need to try to gay it up a little more.

You're like the least gay member of this clan.

And that's counting the fact that you voluntarily have sex with men.

Self Medicated
Tire Aficionado

Postby Self Medicated » Sun Mar 02, 2014 9:07 am

Sitting down with a bowl and a bowl of mac and cheese. Couldn't be a better way to end a day.
Just ended my day with a bowl and a bottle of Old Guardian barley wine.
SM, you complete me. :love:

DerWille

Postby DerWille » Sun Mar 02, 2014 9:22 am

I took Zman's list he put up on channel fireball to games day with only a couple changes, -1 Skullcrack, +1 Warleader's Helix in the main and -1 Satyr Firedancer, +1 Skullcrack in the side. I went 3-1 for 2nd, only losing to he guy who won the tournament with a junk midrange/lifegain home brew. Multiple blood barons are too strong. Scavenging Ooze backed up by Golgari Charm/Abrupt Decay is also tough to go against.

You made a great deck, it reminds me of a programming story I once heard. There was a contest where people had to make an AI that plays backgammon against another AI. All of the contest AI would play against each other and the winner of the contest would be the guy who made the AI that won tournament. A lot of people designed programs that would try to score as many points as possible every game, except for one guy. The guy who won the tournament. He designed his AI to win by 1 point. He swept the tournament
and won every match by 1 point.

It feels like that. Every game seems to come down to the wire, but you always win by that small margin. It's like it's just as powerful as it absolutely needs to be to win but no more.

magicdownunder
Tire Aficionado

Postby magicdownunder » Sun Mar 02, 2014 9:52 am

@Raida:

Grats on your RB win I'm glad the cards you brought for RB (before you quit) are working for you again ;-) did you ever start your MTGO account?

In regards to the mat, I'll sell it if you don't plan on using it since its always nice when our hobbies pay from themselves.

Enjoy Pauper, Standard, Momir, Modern and Music? then visit my channel: Video Link

NerdBoyWonder
Tire Aficionado

Postby NerdBoyWonder » Sun Mar 02, 2014 10:56 am

All moved in. Missed Game Day but making it for the Sunday event. Friend/test partner took the event today with Jund Monsters. Going to take U/w Devo Aggro. Should be posting results and my new list in my not so primer thread. Also should be back up and running on the banner/avi front come Monday.

zemanjaski
Tire Aficionado

Postby zemanjaski » Sun Mar 02, 2014 12:18 pm

Sup. had a long chat with the judges afterwards and they were extremely understanding, there's no issue going forward. Kind of sucks because it tilted me really badly; I started the day 0-6 and I think I was favoured to win game 3 of the feature (my opponent said afterwards they'd tested the night before and that he knew how bad the matchup was); and I just played poorly in the next matchup too. Oh well; definitely incentivizes me to play more paper magic.

Feeling better now. Annoyed that I really should have top 8'd where I'd have been well positioned. Next time.

I'll write an article on the deck tomorrow. Four players ran it to 30-6 on day 1; we all top 64'd or better.
1 - Drunk, surly zem
2 - Nice, modest zem
3 - Bragpost zem
4 - Confident and funny zem
5 - Condescending jerk zem
6 - Self-aware zem
Everyone's a winner, we're making our fame,
Bona fide hustler making my name

Khaospawn
Khaospawn's beautiful and unique title

Postby Khaospawn » Sun Mar 02, 2014 12:22 pm

Sup. had a long chat with the judges afterwards and they were extremely understanding, there's no issue going forward. Kind of sucks because it tilted me really badly; I started the day 0-6 and I think I was favoured to win game 3 of the feature (my opponent said afterwards they'd tested the night before and that he knew how bad the matchup was); and I just played poorly in the next matchup too. Oh well; definitely incentivizes me to play more paper magic.

Feeling better now. Annoyed that I really should have top 8'd where I'd have been well positioned. Next time.

I'll write an article on the deck tomorrow. Four players ran it to 30-6 on day 1; we all top 64'd or better.
Hey man, you're still a winner in my eyes.

I'll be playing
your list today at a PTQ with a small tweak: -1 Chains, +1 Mortars in the sideboard because I live in Blood Baron country.
In a pinch, Khaos' beard can help turn this around.
I rarely skip a Khaospawn wall of text because I know there is always piss at the end of the rainbow.

zemanjaski
Tire Aficionado

Postby zemanjaski » Sun Mar 02, 2014 12:57 pm

The judge that awarded me the game loss just messaged me to say he wants to write something about it for my CFB article, just to set things straight. These judges are OK.

@ Khaos, I faced Blood Baron all weekend, I don't think Mortars is where you want to be really; you just want to put them in a spot so that if they tap out for Blood Baron, they die. This means holding burn to pressure them (so they tap out for Baron, you play 2 burn spells, untap, 2 burn spells to kill them).

You could try changing the sideboard; I think that 2 Burning Earth and 4 Viashino Firstblade might just be better; Viashino was my best sideboard card all weekend (the coverage guys loved that).
1 - Drunk, surly zem
2 - Nice, modest zem
3 - Bragpost zem
6 - Self-aware zem

Khaospawn

Postby Khaospawn » Sun Mar 02, 2014 1:17 pm

The judge that awarded me the game loss just messaged me to say he wants to write something about it for my CFB article, just to set things straight. These judges are OK.

@ Khaos, I faced Blood Baron all weekend, I don't think Mortars is where you want to be really; you just want to put them in a spot so that if they tap out for Blood Baron, they die. This means holding burn to pressure them (so they tap out for Baron, you play 2 burn spells, untap, 2 burn spells to kill them).

You could try changing the sideboard; I think that 2 Burning Earth and 4 Viashino Firstblade might just be better; Viashino was my best sideboard card all weekend (the coverage guys loved that).
Man, I forgot Burning Earth even existed! lol

Thanks for the tips, Z.
Mucho appreciated. I definitely want to keep the Spark Troopers and at least 3 Chained to the Rocks in. Firstblade is fo sho the bee's knees. Although, I do have a question: was the Firstblade actually suggested by P-Sulli? I know's he's had a good relationship with it in the past and your change to it seemed sudden. It was certainly a great choice. During coverage, before things went south, when you slammed it on the table, the reactions were priceless - from the chat to the coverage team, and even your opponent's hand gestures, it was awesome.
I rarely skip a Khaospawn wall of text because I know there is always piss at the end of the rainbow.

LaZerBurn
Tire Aficionado

Postby LaZerBurn » Sun Mar 02, 2014 1:24 pm

Well done across the board Z :) I have nothing but respect and admiration for your preparation, your placing, your conduct surrounding the game loss and your positive attitude looking forward. You should be very proud of yourself :)
Thanks to NerdBoyWonder for the awesome sig :)

zemanjaski
Tire Aficionado

Postby zemanjaski » Sun Mar 02, 2014 1:25 pm

Yeah, he suggested it to me.

My list got discussed A LOT in person by all the top players, we arrived at this improved version:

4 Ash Zealot
4 Chandra's Phoenix

2 Chained to the Rocks

4 Boros Charm
4 Lightning Strike
4 Magma Jet
4 Searing Blood
4 Shock
4 Skullcrack
3 Warleader's Helix

1 Boros Guildgate
4 Mutavault
4 Sacred Foundry
4 Temple of Triumph
10 Mountain

Sideboard
2 blind obedience
4 boros reckoner
2 chained to the rocks
2 mizzium mortars
4 viashino firstblade
1 warleader's helix

I complained to everyone who would listen about the GR matchup; I was relying on Firedancer and Spark Trooper; but when you take out 4 Boros Charm and 4 Skullcrack to bring in the aforementioned cards + 2 Chained to the Rocks, then suddenly the Firedancer aren't that good! Derp. The better players than I suggested than instead we run 2 Blind Obedience (multiple GR players told me that it wrecks them)
plus Reckoner, Chained and Mortars.
1 - Drunk, surly zem
2 - Nice, modest zem
3 - Bragpost zem
6 - Self-aware zem

Khaospawn

Postby Khaospawn » Sun Mar 02, 2014 1:43 pm

Yeah, he suggested it to me.

My list got discussed A LOT in person by all the top players, we arrived at this improved version:

4 Ash Zealot
4 Chandra's Phoenix

2 Chained to the Rocks

4 Boros Charm
4 Lightning Strike
4 Magma Jet
4 Searing Blood
4 Shock
4 Skullcrack
3 Warleader's Helix

1 Boros Guildgate
4 Mutavault
4 Sacred Foundry
4 Temple of Triumph
10 Mountain

Sideboard
2 blind obedience
4 boros reckoner
2 chained to the rocks
2 mizzium mortars
4 viashino firstblade
1 warleader's helix

I complained to everyone who would listen about the GR matchup; I was relying on Firedancer and Spark Trooper; but when you take out 4 Boros Charm and 4 Skullcrack to bring in the aforementioned cards + 2 Chained to the Rocks, then suddenly the
Firedancer aren't that good! Derp. The better players than I suggested than instead we run 2 Blind Obedience (multiple GR players told me that it wrecks them) plus Reckoner, Chained and Mortars.
Seems legit. I'd run that list for some testing but I don't have time to make the changes (I have to leave in about 5 minutes to head to Tampa). Though, if I have time as I'm registering, I'll make the changes and let you know how it does.

zemanjaski
Tire Aficionado

Postby zemanjaski » Sun Mar 02, 2014 1:49 pm

Im teling you 100% that my sideboard from the GP is not as good as this one.
1 - Drunk, surly zem
2 - Nice, modest zem
3 - Bragpost zem
6 - Self-aware zem

magicdownunder
Tire Aficionado

Postby magicdownunder » Sun Mar 02, 2014 2:02 pm

@Z:

Why were you boarding out Boros Charm vs Gr? Surely it was better then Shock or MJ or SB no? Gah I'll chalk it up too we play differently (I use to board in charm when I was playing Boros Aggro vs Gr Devotion) :D

Enjoy Pauper, Standard, Momir, Modern and Music? then visit my channel: Video Link

LaZerBurn
Tire Aficionado

Postby LaZerBurn » Sun Mar 02, 2014 2:12 pm

Im teling you 100% that my sideboard from the GP is not as good as this one.
I believe you but I've still got a thousand and one questions about this new list! :)

MD I'm shocked to see no Firedancer, he's been amazing for me - against GR I've always kept Charm in so he's still been good post SB and he destroys MonoU. MD Chains make sense but I'm surprised to see 4 Shock (aka 'worst card in the deck') especially at the expense of a Helix.

Blind Obedience is clearly an excellent addition to the SB for the GR match up (even to me :) ) but I'm surprised to see Reckoner and
Mortars over Sparky and Firedancer. It seems more of a 1-1 exchange now as opposed to the Searing Blaze CA effect of Firedancer and the ridiculous life swings from Sparky. I suspect I am missing some fundamental points about the match up here! :)

The new list also seems weaker to Control without FDS? Again I may be missing something fundamental! :)

zemanjaski
Tire Aficionado

Postby zemanjaski » Sun Mar 02, 2014 2:21 pm

Usually questions have question marks, what do you want answered?
1 - Drunk, surly zem
2 - Nice, modest zem
3 - Bragpost zem
6 - Self-aware zem

zemanjaski
Tire Aficionado

Postby zemanjaski » Sun Mar 02, 2014 2:31 pm

@Z:

Why were you boarding out Boros Charm vs Gr? Surely it was better then Shock or MJ or SB no? Gah I'll chalk it up too we play differently (I use to board in charm when I was playing Boros Aggro vs Gr Devotion) :D
Maybe, but it doesn't kill anything and those spells all can. I prefer to have some capacity to control the board than to simply race; that might not be correct though.
1 - Drunk, surly zem
2 - Nice, modest zem
3 - Bragpost zem
6 - Self-aware zem

Valdarith
Tire Aficionado

Postby Valdarith » Sun Mar 02, 2014 2:34 pm

Top 64 is something to be quite proud of. Coming from someone who punted his last game to an illegal action only 14 hours ago, I know how frustrating it can be to lose to a stupid mistake, but you had a lot more on the line. You'll just have to sweep your next tournament!
Check out my stream! http://www.twitch.tv/valdarith

Valdarith
Tire Aficionado

Postby Valdarith » Sun Mar 02, 2014 2:37 pm

Also, as a Jund Monsters player I pray this deck doesn't catch on and decide to run sideboard Burning Earth. I cannot beat that card short of postboard Golgari Charm.

zemanjaski
Tire Aficionado

Postby zemanjaski » Sun Mar 02, 2014 2:38 pm

Just annoyed to be 1 game outside of the top 8; if I had gone 12-3 I would have made it and I was very close in two matches :/ Still, I beat two of the three pros that I played, and one of them said he was really impressed by my play (he top 16'd the last PT). So all in all, I am happy with the outcome (and the money and pro points are welcome). Going to write an article on the event and record some videos with a modified decklist; but I think the deck is absolutely excellent and I would recommend it to anyone.
1 - Drunk, surly zem
2 - Nice, modest zem
3 - Bragpost zem
6 - Self-aware zem

LaZerBurn
Tire Aficionado

Postby LaZerBurn » Sun Mar 02, 2014 2:44 pm

Apologies, I'll rephrase :)

Basically the changes are more sweeping than I would have expected and remove some of the cards I've been leaning heavily on - Firedancer and Spark -but they are the work of the top players which is why I suspect I may be evaluating the match ups incorrectly.

Why more Shock? I'd have thought less to allow for the MD Chains and make room for Blind Obedience in the SB (which makes perfect sense to me)

Why no Firedancer? Without him the GR match up seems to become more of a one for one trade and we lose the CA generated when burn doubles as creature removal. Weakens the MonoU match up too. With him, Charm and Helix you have 7 outs for SBD, BB, Courser etc now there are just 2 Mortars.

Why Reckoner over Spark Trooper? What has changed to make you re-evaluate the cards? The life swing has won me a lot of games
and Reckoner seems to promote more of a stand off.

Why no FDS? Doesn't this significantly weaken the Control match up?
Last edited by LaZerBurn on Sun Mar 02, 2014 3:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Valdarith
Tire Aficionado

Postby Valdarith » Sun Mar 02, 2014 2:51 pm

The deck certainly opened my eyes to red again. I'm not sure I can abandon Jund right now but if the meta swings in a certain direction I know what I'll be playing. If anything I'll at least play it before rotation so I can unload my Domris and Mutavaults early.

Valdarith
Tire Aficionado

Postby Valdarith » Sun Mar 02, 2014 2:53 pm

May I ask what sleeves you were running? I've heard that some reputable sleeve makers have colors that aren't completely solid.

Khaospawn

Postby Khaospawn » Sun Mar 02, 2014 3:02 pm

They looked like KMC on camera, but I'm probably mistaken.

Kaitscralt
A frog among toads

Postby Kaitscralt » Sun Mar 02, 2014 3:31 pm

ya blew it
Standard hobos who play budget garbage should be looked upon with suspicion.

Khaospawn

Postby Khaospawn » Sun Mar 02, 2014 3:34 pm

I registered James's list from yesterday, but I cut the sideboard Firedancer for a Blind Obedience and I have a Mortars instead of a Chained to the Rocks. I had no time to switch to the new list and I can't find a second Blind Obedience to save my life, so here goes nothing.

Hold on to your butts!

Khaospawn

Postby Khaospawn » Sun Mar 02, 2014 3:35 pm

ya blew it
Ya blew it, Quaid! Ya blabbed about Mars!

Lightning_Dolt
Tire Aficionado

Postby Lightning_Dolt » Sun Mar 02, 2014 3:59 pm

What kind of sleeves were you using Z?

Khaospawn

Postby Khaospawn » Sun Mar 02, 2014 3:59 pm

Alcohol. Lots of alcohol.

Khaospawn

Postby Khaospawn » Sun Mar 02, 2014 4:00 pm

You delete that last post, JS?

Midnight_v

Postby Midnight_v » Sun Mar 02, 2014 4:08 pm

I do find the whole thing kinda demoralizing.

I actually missed the feature match, and when I came back it was over. James your sportsmanship is awesome, but seriously... I felt like "Fuck that guy" when I found out how it went down. opaque sleeves. Looking for anyway to win but actually winning. Not to be that guy but I felt pretty salty about it. Annnnd yes... next time there'll be no denying you, or the redmage army.

Do you guys check multiple event schedules or just the ones on SCG, and the mothership, are there any other major competitions held that you know of or have attended. I've been out for a while.
"All your passive
aggressive bullshit doesn't make you smart, it makes you an asshole." - Lightning Dolt

Lightning_Dolt
Tire Aficionado

Postby Lightning_Dolt » Sun Mar 02, 2014 4:09 pm

You delete that last post, JS?
Decided I didn't want to whine.

Lightning_Dolt
Tire Aficionado

Postby Lightning_Dolt » Sun Mar 02, 2014 4:10 pm

May I ask what sleeves you were running? I've heard that some reputable sleeve makers have colors that aren't completely solid.
Like White Dragon Shields.

Lightning_Dolt
Tire Aficionado

Postby Lightning_Dolt » Sun Mar 02, 2014 4:15 pm

I have a lot of the same questions as Laser.

Why Reckoner? Isn't it bad VS GR for the same reasons it was before?

Why no Firedancers?

Which match ups did you find Firstblade to be really good in?

Anyway to fit Burning Earth in?

I found Spark Trooper to be really good and key in beating Gr... Are you sure about cutting it?

LaZerBurn
Tire Aficionado

Postby LaZerBurn » Sun Mar 02, 2014 4:22 pm

@ J_S - Firstblade has been excellent for me against Control and B.

Lightning_Dolt
Tire Aficionado

Postby Lightning_Dolt » Sun Mar 02, 2014 4:30 pm

@ J_S - Firstblade has been excellent for me against Control and B.
Mine got stripped by Lifebane Zombie lol.

LaZerBurn
Tire Aficionado

Postby LaZerBurn » Sun Mar 02, 2014 4:35 pm

Yeah that can happen, LBZ does seem to be seeing more MD play, especially in BW.

Return to “Fires of Salvation”