Running Tally: Dragon's Maze

Discussions about the secondary market for Magic Cards. What's Hot? What has fallen from grace?

Moderator: Thrillho

Thrillho
A clever, smart boy
(View: POSTS_VIEWTOPIC /POSTS_VIEWTOPIC_INTO)

Running Tally: Dragon's Maze

Postby Thrillho » Fri May 03, 2013 7:59 pm

I missed the presale prices on this set because they were kind of a mess, aside from Voice of Resurgence, which nearly doubled from its presale low. Here is the top 20 for Eragon's Sudoku, based off of low 4x TCGPlayer values:
1. Voice of Resurgence (M) -- 26
2. Ral Zarek (M) -- 23.49
3. Blood Baron of Vizkopa (M) -- 10.50
4. Legion's Initiative (M) -- 8.75
5. Council of the Absolute (M) -- 6.00
6. Master of Cruelties (M) -- 5.93
7. Advent of the Wurm (R) -- 4.84
8. Blood Scrivener (R) -- 4.70
9. Savageborn Hydra (M) -- 4.69
10. AEtherling (R) -- 4.46
11. Varolz, Scar Striped (R) -- 4.09
12. Sire of Insanity (R) -- 3.97
13. Progenitor Mimic (M) -- 3.93
14. Deadbridge Chant (M) -- 3.48
15. Gaze of Granite (R) -- 2.75
16. Plasm Capture (R) -- 2.72
17. Skyslasher (R) -- 2.42
18. Notion Thief (R) -- 2.42
19. Tajic, Blade of the Legion (R) -- 2.25
20. Beck//Call (R) -- 2.17

Values dont decline too much past that for some amount of time. I have a feeling rares in this set are undervalued while mythics are overvalued. Tomorrow will be day 0 of determining whether any of these cool new cards are showing up in cool new/old decks, and will likely springboard values of cards that do well up a few dollars while supply is still pretty low.

I think the value in the set is for the longer-term and may take some rune reading to speculate. Right now, my crystal ball is pretty foggy and is being cleaned (also I'm not able to get my product from this set which is hurting my ability to speculate).

Thrillho
A clever, smart boy

Postby Thrillho » Sat May 04, 2013 6:16 pm

Presellers chump-checked all buyers on Voice of Resurgence off of hype, based on the current showing at SCG. That card is awesome, but $30 is hilariously over the cost of what that card should be. Current TCGPlayer low prices are stable $2 lower than they were yesterday and unless the entire top 8 of SCG Sommerset is Voice decks, and there are a number of pros playing so there's probably some reasonable quality in deck selection, I don't expect it to go above that current level for the time being.

Hoping that foil rares descend a bit.

I picked up a few foil uncommons -- Cloak is around $2.50, as are Far//Away and Rip//Tear. I picked up Turn//Burn for $4.75 and it's around that right now as well.

Edit: Advent of the Wurm is moving pretty quickly at ~$5-6; foils are still around at $10-12 and I would probably pick those up if you're a foil fiend or alternately want to earn a few dollars on them short selling after this
weekend, assuming Advent decks keep winning.

Dodger

Postby Dodger » Sun May 05, 2013 11:12 am

I'm thinking the full value of this set won't show until rotation when the power level comes down. Zarek will fall and then rise once someone finds a decklist that top 8s with him as a 4of for a couple weeks straight. Voice will crater down to the $10 range, while Advent of the Wurm will surge up into the double digits by the end of the month after being a 4 of in a few top lists. Just my predictions anyway. Get Zarek in a few weeks when his price hits his low point, unload voices, get your wurms. Varolz will also spike to double digits if that finds a home in a deck.

Thrillho
A clever, smart boy

Postby Thrillho » Sun May 05, 2013 11:30 pm

Where are you getting these numbers and predictions from

Checkbox
Tryhard of the Year 2012

Postby Checkbox » Mon May 06, 2013 12:20 am

whisper words of wisdom
let it be known that my official decree as administrator of this site is that the grimmace's dick is 16" long.
it's not cheating if you hand her the jizz afterwards
Get the hairbrush out of your ear and put it in your ass where it belongs, then try again

Dodger

Postby Dodger » Mon May 06, 2013 2:37 am

Where are you getting these numbers and predictions from

Just my opinions.

Thrillho
A clever, smart boy

Postby Thrillho » Mon May 06, 2013 4:48 pm

Advent is firmly in the $6 category. Hope you got yours at $4-5 in the lull during release.

Thrillho
A clever, smart boy

Postby Thrillho » Tue May 07, 2013 7:13 pm

Sire of Insanity, despite being THE breakout card of the updated Jund deck, is currently 4.25 and below Advent of the Wurm on TCGPlayer. I doubt this is the investor's price, but I would grab copies now assuming it will go up at some point just to play with. I'm not comfortable recommending a price point to go all-in on at this time because I still question it as -the- breakout card of Wvyern's Word Find

Dodger

Postby Dodger » Wed May 08, 2013 7:50 pm

I got my playset of Wurms. 1 I got in a pack I won, two I got in the two boxes I bought (neither had a Ral, wtf) and the other I traded ZomBob for (still have 3 of those so I only need one more for the playset). I'm either going Bant Delver or Bant Flash to start off DGM. Also have 3 Sires, so I'm basically good outside of the Ral's. Well I only got 1 voice too, but I'm hoping I'm right that it will drop off soon. Again, hoping Ral drops a bit as well before finding a home.

Thrillho
A clever, smart boy

Postby Thrillho » Thu May 09, 2013 5:00 pm

Ral Zarek has been steadily dropping since prior to release because he is not particularly good (everything survives bolt, untapping a land doesn't appear to be where you want to be in UWR).
Voice is stable because I'm pretty sure it's either bonkers, people haven't had a chance to confirm/deny eternal format hype, or both.

After Voice, Ral, Bloodbaron, Legion's Initiative, Advent, Deadbridge Chant, and Master of Cruelties, everything has slipped to or below the price of a booster pack, which is probably the fastest (and lowest) I've seen cards in a set fall in a while. I'm also pretty surprised Chant and Master are on that list. Many rares that were steady at $4+/- are well below that presale price (Plasm Capture).

Thrillho
A clever, smart boy

Postby Thrillho » Thu May 09, 2013 5:03 pm

I expect many of the uncommons in the set to wind up being more valuable than the rares (Turn // Burn, Far // Away, Sin Collector, Cloak), but they also may not be much more than $1 unless any spontaneously break out.

Thrillho
A clever, smart boy

Postby Thrillho » Thu May 16, 2013 5:24 pm

Sire is slipping despite being the most-frequently played rare in the set and is hovering around $3 right now.
Advent is very difficult to find multiple copies for less than $6, and SCG has bumped its price to $10.
Ral Zarek is descending in price, as are most of the non-Deadbridge, non-Voice of Resurgence mythics in the set.
Voice is holding stable at $28-30. It is the sideboard staple of decks with GW, appears in some maindecks, recently helped win a GP, and all eyes are on it to see if it does well this weekend at the PT.

Tom Servo
Tire Aficionado

Postby Tom Servo » Fri May 17, 2013 6:21 pm

What is driving the price of Deadbridge Chant? I have a few and had no idea they were worth anything
Eric, Ren and Jensen were activists
Heads loaded with theory, their hearts are filled with passion
Shared the same left wing politics
Liked the same music, they were part of the protest movement
Now, Anna presented herself as a feminist
Studied the way they talked and dressed
Fashioned herself an anarchist
Eric fell in love with Anna at the meeting of the crime think conference
He didn't know it but Anna was an FBI informant

Thrillho
A clever, smart boy

Postby Thrillho » Fri May 17, 2013 7:54 pm

sideboard slots in jund

Dodger

Postby Dodger » Sat May 18, 2013 12:01 am

This set is really dropping value face outside of Voice.

Thrillho
A clever, smart boy

Postby Thrillho » Sun May 19, 2013 5:14 am

Prices have remained pretty consistent on TCGPlayer over the past week for most all of the cards seeing play and even among some that see no play. There are also very few stores offering more than single copies of cards at the "fallen" prices. Not sure where you've seen prices dropping.

Dodger

Postby Dodger » Wed May 22, 2013 8:22 pm

I admit I didn't look through everything you can get a playset of most rares for $1-2 over what the low price is at TCG player. You can get playsets for Ral for less than $18 at tcg player. How is that not dropping? This set has two cards worth more than $10. The most expensive playset of cards you would most likely need outside of those 2 you can get for $6 each (wurm). Even Sire isn't going up in price. Nothing but Voice or the PW will really set you back a whole lot in this set at this time.

Thrillho
A clever, smart boy

Postby Thrillho » Fri May 31, 2013 5:58 pm

Because this is generally what happens when a new set is released and Ral zarek dropped in price then started holding, idk.

I am genuinely confused by Sire's price, tho.

Return to “Market Street Café”