Rx Burn

Moderator: LP, of the Fires

Khaospawn
Khaospawn's beautiful and unique title
(View: POSTS_VIEWTOPIC /POSTS_VIEWTOPIC_INTO)

Postby Khaospawn » Thu Jul 31, 2014 9:06 pm

And I just wasted 6 tix by entering into SE and got beat by a guy who had Tron in his opening 7 and landed a Wurmcoil turn 3. Wish I had Molten Rain for those games...

WTF do you do except lose in that situation? :shrug:
In a pinch, Khaos' beard can help turn this around.
I rarely skip a Khaospawn wall of text because I know there is always piss at the end of the rainbow.

Khaospawn

Postby Khaospawn » Thu Jul 31, 2014 9:32 pm

And I just wasted another 6 tix because the same fucking thing just happened again. What fucking fuck...
I rarely skip a Khaospawn wall of text because I know there is always piss at the end of the rainbow.

Khaospawn

Postby Khaospawn » Thu Jul 31, 2014 9:42 pm

I think this is a sign to stop for the day. If there's one thing I've learned from playing poker is that the worst thing you can do it tilt and spend all your money chasing a dream. I lost 4 games (2 Rounds) to Tron's nutdraw while experiencing subpar draws. These things happen. It's variance. Not all games end this way.

I think I'm just typing this all out for my benefit as a way to rationalize. *deep breath* I still think I'm making a right decision (especially as I didn't make any wrong ones during the games). Tomorrow is another day. :)

LaZerBurn
Tire Aficionado

Postby LaZerBurn » Thu Jul 31, 2014 9:45 pm

Thank you for that latest dose of Khaos 'low-key guru' 'good value' wisdom! :D

I am going to save that post and reread it every day until I fucking remember it in the heat of the moment - when I am tired or have lost in similar circumstances :D
Thanks to NerdBoyWonder for the awesome sig :)

magicdownunder
Tire Aficionado

Postby magicdownunder » Thu Jul 31, 2014 9:55 pm

Agreed solid post, though I stop once I lose or win :P

Enjoy Pauper, Standard, Momir, Modern and Music? then visit my channel: Video Link

Khaospawn

Postby Khaospawn » Thu Jul 31, 2014 9:56 pm

Thank you for that latest dose of Khaos 'low-key guru' 'good value' wisdom! :D

I am going to save that post and reread it every day until I fucking remember it in the heat of the moment - when I am tired or have lost in similar circumstances :D
Glad I can be of some help, Lazer. :)

It's a tough pill to swallow sometimes. I want to keep playing, but I have enough sense left to realize that I'm really irritated by those losses. Since what tickets I have left matter, I have to be smart. And I'm not
going to be smart when I'm emotional. I went 1-1, 0-1, 0-1 in 3 SE's. I'm down 12 tickets. That's enough for one day. Tomorrow I'll approach it all again with a clear head. ;-)
Last edited by Khaospawn on Thu Jul 31, 2014 10:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Khaospawn

Postby Khaospawn » Thu Jul 31, 2014 9:59 pm

Agreed solid post, though I stop once I lose or win :P
I allotted myself about 3 hours of playing time since I really have nothing else to do today except to go to bed early (I have inventory to do at 3 a.m. tomorrow :argh: ).

magicdownunder
Tire Aficionado

Postby magicdownunder » Thu Jul 31, 2014 10:03 pm

Not sure if you guys read the DtR thread but Pro Tours and MOCS are back (with two Standard event in one month) so I'll be taking a break from Modern until next month (which is a Modern MOCS :P).

Modern Report DE 7313428
G1 UB Control vs Rg Burn Modern DE 7313428
G2 UR Twins vs Rg Burn Modern DE 7313428
G3 Mirror Hocking vs MDU Modern DE 7313428
G4 BGw Rock vs MDU Modern DE 7313428

I should mention that I gave the 21 lands (9 fetches) Jund Burn list a shot, while I did lose I loved how the list felt in terms of opening hands and mulls - I think if we're going to go with 21 lands though you'll more value from your burn spells so Rbw or Rbwg would be more optimal.

Enjoy Pauper, Standard, Momir, Modern and Music? then visit my channel: Video Link

LP, of the Fires
Tire Aficionado

Postby LP, of the Fires » Thu Jul 31, 2014 10:42 pm

I know where khaos is coming on the tilt end. I don't tilt often in magic, but hearthstone gets to me and I'll find myself losing three games in a row at which point you just have to shut it off and have a snack.
You gotta understand, I love the beatdown. I really do. I always have.

Beatdown is hard, though.

Patrick chapin

dpaine88
Tire Aficionado

Postby dpaine88 » Fri Aug 01, 2014 5:01 am

Welp...I'm back.

Turns out my friend needs his Mistys so Delver is a no-go.

The Levy list looks pretty good to me. I didn't find Pod super hard the times I played against it personally.

Double dipping States this weekend, NH and MA.
Burn baby burn!

dpaine88
Tire Aficionado

Postby dpaine88 » Fri Aug 01, 2014 5:24 am

From the TCG Artilcle

Take out either Rift Bolt or Lava Spike (depending on how valuable you think targeting a creature will be) to bring in the cards you want. Take out Molten Rain on the draw if you need room against a deck that won't rely too much on their lands.

why wouldnt you want to take out Shard Volley? I always considered it worse than those two but I could be wrong.
Burn baby burn!

magicdownunder
Tire Aficionado

Postby magicdownunder » Fri Aug 01, 2014 5:54 am

Which version of the deck is it dpaine88?

In MonoR you would almost never cut Rift Bolt, Shard Volley or Lava Spike since the 1-drops are so light.

With the 3 color version your MD is extremely low on removal and everything does the same thing so you tend to value flexibility and instant speed.

LaZerBurn
Tire Aficionado

Postby LaZerBurn » Fri Aug 01, 2014 6:41 am

It's from Levy's TCG article MDU - http://magic.tcgplayer.com/db/article.asp?ID=11956

Purp
Tire Aficionado

Postby Purp » Fri Aug 01, 2014 2:49 pm

The idea is that, when you are siding in Searing Bloods to kill pod creatures, lava spike is pretty weak

yurp yurp

dpaine88
Tire Aficionado

Postby dpaine88 » Fri Aug 01, 2014 4:19 pm

[deck]
Monored Burn by Raphael Levy

4 Eidolon of the Great Revel
4 Goblin Guide
2 Grim Lavamancer

Creatures [10]
2 Flames of the Blood Hand
4 Lava Spike
4 Lightning Bolt
1 Magma Jet
4 Molten Rain
4 Rift Bolt
4 Searing Blaze
3 Shard Volley
4 Skullcrack

Spells [30]

4 Arid Mesa
11 Mountain
4 Scalding Tarn
1 Stomping Ground
Lands [20]
Deck Total [60]

2 Blood Moon
3 Destructive Revelry
2 Peak Eruption
2 Relic of Progenitus
3 Searing Blood
3 Smash to Smithereens
Sideboard [15]
[/deck]
Burn baby burn!

dpaine88
Tire Aficionado

Postby dpaine88 » Fri Aug 01, 2014 4:20 pm

I personally would cut Shard Volley first..
Burn baby burn!

magicdownunder
Tire Aficionado

Postby magicdownunder » Fri Aug 01, 2014 4:26 pm

He went x-4-1 with that list, his suggestion was cut the Green because your not beating Enchantments and Blood Moon doesn't do enough just run:

[deck]Monored Burn by Raphael Levy[/deck]

So he'll just lose vs a T4 twin most of the time and against any enchantments decks.

Purp
Tire Aficionado

Postby Purp » Fri Aug 01, 2014 4:47 pm

Kill the creature they are equipping it to. He is just saying that it worth auto folding to hexproof to make the common matchups better, similar to what we did in standard burn.

yurp yurp

magicdownunder
Tire Aficionado

Postby magicdownunder » Fri Aug 01, 2014 5:10 pm

Expect enchantment are a real threat in Modern T_T its harder to ignore.

Not really sure I'm a fan of his approach, I strongly value "hope" against those annoying combo decks - its also a decent cheap answer too the Twin Combo, nothing is worst then seeing a t0 leyline and knowing that you might as well scoop :sweat:.

Khaospawn

Postby Khaospawn » Fri Aug 01, 2014 5:13 pm

Regarding Twin, he's saying that your chances of disrupting their combo is slim since they'll tap your lone green source. What he's stressing is overall consistency and protecting your own life total (similar to Legacy Burn). Your only saving grace is that you can attempt to keep them from reaching 4 mana or double Red with Cryoclasm, Peak Eruption, and Molten Rain while still staying on track with the damage race. Lavamancer + Burn helps.

Khaospawn

Postby Khaospawn » Fri Aug 01, 2014 5:15 pm

I'm not saying he's right, but he does make valid points. Another thing worth nothing- Twin IS on the decline, which explains why Rock variants are the number one deck. This also explains why I keep seeing so much Tron too - it preys on Jund.

Aodh
Tire Aficionado

Postby Aodh » Fri Aug 01, 2014 5:19 pm

His Twin defense is blowing up their third land. You just bolt 3 times, then stone rain them until they miss a land drop, then bolt them to death. It seems reasonable. I'd like to keep the green splash and just use Revelries over Smash to Smitereens though. Especially locally where kids are like zomgz Leyline!!1

dpaine88
Tire Aficionado

Postby dpaine88 » Sun Aug 03, 2014 10:53 pm

Top8'd States with the Ralph Leavy list.

Went 4-0 then double drew in.

Played a mirror and lost a very close game 3 where we both mulled and I didnt hit my second land till turn 5 with no action before that.

Just had to untap to win and he topdecked skullcrack.
Burn baby burn!

magicdownunder
Tire Aficionado

Postby magicdownunder » Mon Aug 04, 2014 1:32 am

Top8'd States with the Ralph Leavy list.

Went 4-0 then double drew in.

Played a mirror and lost a very close game 3 where we both mulled and I didnt hit my second land till turn 5 with no action before that.

Just had to untap to win and he topdecked skullcrack.
Well done, what we're your MUs?

dpaine88
Tire Aficionado

Postby dpaine88 » Mon Aug 04, 2014 2:25 am

Beat 8Rack, Tarmo-Twin, UWR geist, B/W Tokens. Didn't lose a single game.

Had trouble hitting 3 lands when I had Molten rain. Sadly it was terrible vs 8 rack and Mono red mirror as well.

Did blow up the token guy only two lands which was awesome
Burn baby burn!

Khaospawn

Postby Khaospawn » Mon Aug 04, 2014 5:37 am

I got 3rd/4th in a 40 person IQ with this:

[deck]
Creatures 14
4 Goblin Guide
4 Vexing Devil
2 Grim Lavamancer

Burn 26
4 Lightning Bolt
4 Rift bolt
4 Lava Spike
4 Searing Blaze
4 Skullcrack
4 Molten Rain

Land 20
4 Arid Mesa
4 Scalding Tarn
10 Mountain
2 Stomping Ground

Sideboard
2 Cryoclasm
2 Peak Eruption
2 Relic of Progenitus
1 Guerrilla Tactics
4 Searing Blood
4 Destructive Revelry
[/deck]

I went 4-1-1 (ID) in the Swiss to make Top 8, where I lost to Affinity (the same guy I lost to in the Swiss). In my defense, both times I played the guy, I had terrible hands muligans. MVPs were Cryoclasm, Molten Rain, and Vexing Devil (even when he was attacking for 4).

Moving forward, I'm taking the Stomping Ground/Revelries out for Mountain/Smash to Smithereens. I only played them because I was actually worried about Phyrexian Unlife
combo and U/R Twin combo. It's just not needed. The Unlife deck is fringe at best, and all of the landkill spells (Molten Rain, Peak Eruption, Cryoclasm) plus heavy pressure is how you're going to beat Twin, which is how I did it (with the Revelry wasted in my hand doing nothing).

List of decks I faced -

-Merfolk 2-0 (Cryoclasm was hilarious...)
-Junk 2-0 (Landkill + Eidolon :V )
-U/R Twin Combo 2-1 (Won Game 3 by smashing with Vexing Devils)
-Affinity 0-2 ( :argh: )
-R/G Tron 2-0 (I had a turn 3 kill in Game 1 :jam: )
-ID
-Pod (Angel Pod, I believe they call it?) 2-0 (Very tough for me and I think I played some of best Magic in a long time. My favorite game of the night.)
-Affinity 0-2 ( )

With the exception of my Round 1 opponent, the competition was tough. A lot of best grinders from across the state were in attendance.
Last edited by Khaospawn on Mon Aug 04, 2014 5:44 am, edited 1 time in total.

magicdownunder
Tire Aficionado

Postby magicdownunder » Mon Aug 04, 2014 5:43 am

Well done burning the states events down guys (no FBI around right?)

I know its possible to LD the Twin players but they're running bazillion counters and we only have 20 lands - that said you guys ended up doing well which is all that matters.
Last edited by magicdownunder on Mon Aug 04, 2014 5:47 am, edited 1 time in total.

Khaospawn

Postby Khaospawn » Mon Aug 04, 2014 5:46 am

I actually bombed in the States tournament with greedy 4 Color Burn. I dropped after Round 4 to slap together the R/g list I played later in the afternoon Modern IQ (with $250 going to first place, no less!). I think I played some really good Magic after making the switch. I'll be on this deck for awhile.

dpaine88
Tire Aficionado

Postby dpaine88 » Mon Aug 04, 2014 12:57 pm

Good shit man!!!!

I personally don't know if the LD is the way to go.... for me at least the times I had 3 mana and the times I had Molten Rain were not matching up...

Maybe its just me and I keep too many 1 landers but you get then A LOT with such little mana(least I do) and I usually keep if I have 3 or more 1-drop spells especially on the draw. I feel like you are going to end up mulliganing way too much if you mulligan every 1 land hand like I usually do in Magic.

I think a Black Splash for Bump instead would be pretty good. I really dont think that splash will hit the mana hard at all since you can just run 1 Blood Crypt and 4 BlackLeave Cliffs and you are fine...instant 13 Black Sources.

Also, against Pod, Rain of Gore seems like the nuts.....
Burn baby burn!

Khaospawn

Postby Khaospawn » Mon Aug 04, 2014 3:37 pm

Thanks, Dan. :)

Land destruction is definitely the way to go. I'm actually starting to not see this deck as a 'Burn' deck, but more of a "punisher" deck. It punished people using greedy manabases. It punishes them for slow starts. Land destruction on its own sometimes can just win you the game.

As for 1 land hands, you are absolutely correct in that there are certain ones you keep and certain ones you toss back. A hand like Guide-Guide-Mountain-Searing Blaze-Rift Bolt-Lava Spike-Skullcrack is definitely a keeper because you can play 4 of your cards in the proper sequence over the course of 4 turns if you don't hit a land by then. And once you do hit a land, you'll "turn on" your other 2 cards. A hand like Lavamancer-Molten Rain-Skullcrack-Searing Blaze-Mountain-Rift Bolt-Eidolon is obviously a throwback; the 1
drops are too slow and if you don't hit a land by you 2nd or 3rd draw, you're dead in the water. A hand like this is pretty tricky though: Mountain-Rift Bolt-Rift Bolt-Grim Lavamancer-Searing Blaze-Searing Blaze-Molten Rain. Would you keep that? Why?

As for the black, white, or green splash....just don't. Check out the last few posts I made on the R/b Burn thread.

Kimbra
Newcomer

Postby Kimbra » Tue Aug 05, 2014 11:13 am

Junk can be pretty rough depending on their draw and how much hand disruption they throw at you. Although, I'm really loving Levy's suggested use of Guerilla Tactics to fight against Lilianna of the Veil.

You want my suggestion? Play Levy's Mono Red list with his new sideboard suggestions. He's done all the work and you can just read and reread his article to further cement the information in your head.
I'm testing Levy's decklist too.
Do you think in a meta full of Affinity is better to replace the MD Molten Rains with Searing Bloods (and obv put the Rains in SB)?
In my opinion is a dead card against them even because they have the indestructible lands...
"Someday, someone will best me. But it won't be today, and it won't be you."

Khaospawn

Postby Khaospawn » Thu Aug 07, 2014 9:05 am

Junk can be pretty rough depending on their draw and how much hand disruption they throw at you. Although, I'm really loving Levy's suggested use of Guerilla Tactics to fight against Lilianna of the Veil.

You want my suggestion? Play Levy's Mono Red list with his new sideboard suggestions. He's done all the work and you can just read and reread his article to further cement the information in your head.
I'm testing Levy's decklist too.
Do you think in a meta full of Affinity is better to replace the MD Molten Rains with Searing Bloods (and obv put the Rains in SB)?
In my opinion
is a dead card against them even because they have the indestructible lands...
Molten Rain is relevant against a lot of matchups Game 1, including Affinity because of Glimmervoid and the Nexuses. Searing Blood isn't.

I got blown out yesterday by a Goryo's Vengeance deck. :argh:

Khaospawn

Postby Khaospawn » Thu Aug 07, 2014 9:35 pm

Lost a close game to U/R Twin. The land destruction plan still seems solid. I just ran out of gas. I'm still convinced it has merit for the time being.

Khaospawn

Postby Khaospawn » Thu Aug 07, 2014 10:30 pm

Won a 8-Man tourney beating Living End, Junk, and Naya Kiki-Jiki - Restoration Angel /Scapeshift. I dunno what to fucking call that last deck..

[deck]
Creatures 12
4 Goblin Guide
4 Vexing Devil

Burn 28
2 Forked Bolt
4 Lightning Bolt
4 Rift bolt
4 Lava Spike
4 Searing Blaze
4 Skullcrack
4 Molten Rain

Land 20
4 Arid Mesa
16 Mountain

Sideboard
2 Cryoclasm
2 Peak Eruption
3 Relic of Progenitus
4 Searing Blood
4 Smash to Smithereens
[/deck]

Khaospawn

Postby Khaospawn » Thu Aug 07, 2014 10:47 pm

I may get some flack for cutting the Lavamancer, but whatever. Bring it on. He's been doing nothing but eat removal for days. I was much happier today with Forked Bolt.

LP, of the Fires
Tire Aficionado

Postby LP, of the Fires » Thu Aug 07, 2014 11:03 pm

I personally have zero problems with cutting creatures. They open the door for your opponent to interact and the only things close to sacred cows are Goblin Guide and Eidolon.
You gotta understand, I love the beatdown. I really do. I always have.

Beatdown is hard, though.

Patrick chapin

Khaospawn

Postby Khaospawn » Thu Aug 07, 2014 11:27 pm

I'm really liking VD more and more, strangely enough.

magicdownunder
Tire Aficionado

Postby magicdownunder » Fri Aug 08, 2014 3:48 am

Won a 8-Man tourney beating Living End, Junk, and Naya Kiki-Jiki - Restoration Angel /Scapeshift. I dunno what to fucking call that last deck..

[deck]
Creatures 12
4 Goblin Guide
4 Vexing Devil

Burn 28
2 Forked Bolt
4 Lightning Bolt
4 Rift bolt
4 Lava Spike
4 Searing Blaze
4 Skullcrack
4 Molten Rain

Land 20
4 Arid Mesa
16 Mountain

Sideboard
2 Cryoclasm
2 Peak Eruption
3 Relic of Progenitus
4 Searing Blood
4 Smash to Smithereens
[/deck]
I like it - I shall give it a shot today :yes:

Though I want to run 2 Magma Jet because running 8x 3cc LD spells makes me uncomfortable
with only 20 lands.

EDIT: You know that feeling you get when you beat Soul Sisters with 2x Searing blood and Searing Blaze, and he PM you with rage post match? Priceless ;-)

EDIT2: Why doesn't Boil see play?

LaZerBurn
Tire Aficionado

Postby LaZerBurn » Fri Aug 08, 2014 6:56 am

I SOOOOO want to see the Soul sisters match up! I hope you screenshotted the PM's :D

Kimbra
Newcomer

Postby Kimbra » Fri Aug 08, 2014 7:55 am

I may get some flack for cutting the Lavamancer, but whatever. Bring it on. He's been doing nothing but eat removal for days. I was much happier today with Forked Bolt.
Lavamancer IMHO is great against the Affinity and Infect matchups. The first have to put a Galvanic Blast on it or he will kill almost all the robots (especially the one with flying and lifelink and the other who pumps all artifacts), and even in this case is 4 damage less for us. The second doesn't have removal, so we have more chance to kill the "poisonous critter".
"Someday, someone will best me. But it won't be today, and it won't be you."

Return to “Aggro”