[Primer] Boros Burn

Threads from Standard formats since passed.

Moderators: Kaitscralt, zemanjaski, Christen

Clackerr
Newcomer
(View: POSTS_VIEWTOPIC /POSTS_VIEWTOPIC_INTO)

IQ Results

Postby Clackerr » Mon Sep 01, 2014 8:09 pm

Hey Everyone,

Posting the list that I've used at the past 3 SCG IQs in my area (45 person IQ: top 4, 30 person IQ: 1st, 20 person IQ: top 4), in the past 2 weeks. I haven't had issue with much of anything except Jund walkers/ monsters who always seem to have Rakdos Returns for 4/5 or 2/3 stormbreath dragons. Also, Mono B can be a problem if they get their demons out with discard/removal backing it up.

[deck="R/W Burn 31 Aug 2014"]
//Lands
3 Battlefield Forge
8 Mountain
3 Mutavault
4 Sacred Foundry
1 Temple of Silence
4 Temple of Triumph

//Spells
1 Blind Obedience
4 Boros Charm
3 Chained to the Rocks
4 Lightning Strike
3 Magma Jet
2 Searing Blood
3 Shock
4 Skullcrack
1 Stoke the Flames
4 Warleader's Helix

//Creatures
4 Chandra's Phoenix
4 Young Pyromancer

//Sideboard
SB: 1 Chandra, Pyromaster
SB: 1 Glare of Heresy
SB: 3 Toil // Trouble
SB: 1 Wear // Tear
SB: 2
Eidolon of the Great Revel
SB: 1 Banishing Light
SB: 1 Chained to the Rocks
SB: 3 Satyr Firedancer
SB: 1 Boros Reckoner
SB: 1 Searing Blood
[/deck]

I have a very diverse meta in my 100 mile radius including Burn, Rabble Red, White Aggro, Jund Walkers, Jund Monsters (rare now), Mono U Devotion, Mono B Devotion, B/W variants (Junk and Midrange), RUG Chord! (actually quite decent), U/W control (both versions), G/W Aggro, Hexproof, and Mono G Devotion. It's a gamble what I will be playing against on any given day.

Some explanations of my list:

1 Blind Obedience main wins me more games than people expect. It's a beating vs almost every deck i play it against; the tempo that can be gained when people are playing creatures and you're able to swing back for another 2-10 damage due to their creatures entering tapped can't be overstated.
2 Searing Bloods main, 1 side: I don't usually have too
much of a problem with aggro decks and I think 2 or 3 is the right number for this card because it sits dead in my hand against quite a few matchups.
3 shocks: I like shock but I needed to cut a low impact card for Blind Obedience.
1 Stoke the Flames!: Am I crazy?! Maybe, but I don't actually like having too many 4 mana costed spells in my list due to the number of control matchups i play against. I tried more but I wasn't able to convoke it as much as I thought (maybe 40% of the time).
4 Warleader's Helix: There are a lot of Burn lists at the IQs that I play in and I love playing the mirror. This spell is the key card for the matchup. I won't drop below 4.
4 Skullcrack: I tried 3 and played against 3 control lists 3 weeks ago. I was sitting there wishing that I had the 4th skullcrack for a majority of the games. Never dropping below 4.
3 Magma Jet: Many of the Pro
players who are cutting this card say it's not high impact enough. I completely disagree. Scry 2 is huge for a deck that can't get land flooded/ color screwed and win. it also helps get me those last couple of points of damage where I need to rip a burn spell to win. I can't count the number of times I've scryed into a win. Only running 3 because I don't like scrying into another magma jet and I like seeing 1 or 2 a game.
3 Mutavaults: Our deck is too color intensive to run 4 imo. I mulled a lot less when I made the switch to 3.
3 Chains: How do decks function without these in their main? Demon, Pk, Courser, aggro, G/W, master of waves all require me to have answers or I lose.. 1 side for additional protection.
1 Temple of Silence: For that additional scry effect (especially since I'm only running 3 magma jets) and the 12th white source and the slim chance of fusing a Toil// Trouble.
1 Chandra:
Might go up to 2 replacing the 3rd Toil// Trouble. I usually only want to ever see 1 in a game, though.
3 Toil// Trouble: Great against any deck you plan on racing (walkers, b/w Mid, control)
2 Eidolons: Great against control matchups, replacing 2 young pyros post sideboard.
3 Satyr Firedancers: Great against all non-red monster decks. Decent against red decks (leave in boros charms for extra protection). Can be replaced with Mizzium Mortars/ some # of Stokes.
1 Glare/ 1 Wear/Tear package: This is my enchantment removal / answers to control's post sideboard threats. Also great against any aggro deck with white. The blind obedience / Tear combo is nice too.
1 Boros Reckoner: Catch- all against hexproof, aggro, U/W control (matches up against fiendslayer pally, which every control player runs at least 3 of where I am because of me.. ugh), and monster decks.

[b:
1wgrnmns]Sideboard Guide:[/b]

U/W control: In (10): 1 Boros Reckoner (Fiendslayer Pally, and it's a threat that needs to be answered), 1 Banishing Light ( For angel/pally/ram/dsphere/planeswalker/sometimes elixir lol), 2 Eidolon of the Great Revel, 1 Wear//Tear (for the DSphere version and rams), 3 Toil// Trouble (Burst damage that can't be dispelled), 1 Glare of Heresy (hits all post-board threats), 1 Chandra, Pyromaster.
Out: 4 Young Pyromancers, 1 Shock, 2 Warleader's Helix, 2 Searing Blood, 1 Chained to the Rocks.

Jund Walkers: In (7): 1 Searing Blood (Xenagos/ Mana ramp/ ooze), 2 Eidolon (racing), 3 Toil// Trouble (racing), 1 Banishing Light for planeswalkers/ courser.
Out: 4 Young Pyromancers (terrible vs this deck), 1 Chained to the rocks (don't want too many enchantments), 2 Warleader's Helix (Too slow for Rakdos returns).

Jund Monsters or Mono G Devotion: In (7): 1 Searing Blood, 1
Chained to the Rocks, 1 Banishing Light, 3 Satyr Firedancers (iffy), 1 Boros Reckoner
Out: 3 Skullcrack, 3 Phoenix, 1 Boros Charm (because of firedancers).

G/W Aggro: In (9): 1 Glare of Heresy, 1 Wear // Tear (Banishing light/ unflinching courage), 1 Chained to the Rocks, 1 Banishing Light, 3 Satyr Firedancers, 1 Boros Reckoner, 1 Searing Blood.
Out: 3 Phoenix, 2 Boros Charm, 4 Skullcrack

Rabble Red or Red Aggro Decks: In (8): 1 Chained to the Rocks, 1 Banishing Light (especially good vs Hammer of Purphoros), 3 Satyr Firedancers, 1 Searing Blood, 1 Boros Reckoner, 1 Chandra, Pyromaster.
Out: 4 Skullcrack, 3 Phoenix, 1 Boros Charm

Burn: In (5): 1 Searing Blood (most people leave in some # of creatures, draw only), 1 Chandra, Pyromaster, 2 Eidolon (play only), 2 Toil//Trouble (play only), 1 Chained to the Rocks (draw only), 1 Boros Reckoner (draw only), 1 Wear// Tear (draw only for eidolons/ chains).
Out: 2 Young Pyro (3
on draw), 1 Chains (play), 3 Phoenix, 1 Stoke the Flames (too top heavy).

Mono U: In (7): 1 Searing Blood, 1 Chained to the Rocks, 1 Banishing Light, 1 Chandra, 3 Satyr Firedancers.
Out: 4 Skullcrack, 2 Boros Charm, 1 Phoenix

Some numbers can be changed depending on playstyle and whether you are on the play or draw. Any feedback or comments is much appreciated. Thanks!

zemanjaski
Tire Aficionado

Postby zemanjaski » Tue Sep 02, 2014 2:10 am

Came 3rd at a 146 player wmcq. Deck was whatever.

[deck]
Creatures
4 Chandra's Phoenix
4 Young Pyromancer

Non-creature Spells
4 Boros Charm
4 Lightning Strike
4 Magma Jet
4 Shock
4 Skullcrack
4 Stoke the Flames
4 Warleader's Helix

Lands
4 Battlefield Forge
8 Mountain
4 Mutavault
4 Sacred Foundry
4 Temple of Triumph

Sideboard
4 Chained to the Rocks
4 Eidolon of the Great Revel
3 Glare of Heresy
4 Satyr Firedancer
[/deck]
1 - Drunk, surly zem
2 - Nice, modest zem
3 - Bragpost zem
4 - Confident and funny zem
5 - Condescending jerk zem
6 - Self-aware zem
Everyone's a winner, we're making our fame,
Bona fide hustler making my name

NotARobot

Postby NotARobot » Tue Sep 02, 2014 2:28 am

Nice and simple burn. Way to go zem, love to hear a full report if you have some time to jot it down!

zemanjaski
Tire Aficionado

Postby zemanjaski » Tue Sep 02, 2014 2:38 am

Still too salty.
1 - Drunk, surly zem
2 - Nice, modest zem
3 - Bragpost zem
4 - Confident and funny zem
5 - Condescending jerk zem
6 - Self-aware zem
Everyone's a winner, we're making our fame,
Bona fide hustler making my name

Kaitscralt
A frog among toads

Postby Kaitscralt » Tue Sep 02, 2014 3:58 am

Still too salty.
Attachments
Ya Blew It.gif
Standard hobos who play budget garbage should be looked upon with suspicion.

Purp
Tire Aficionado

Postby Purp » Tue Sep 02, 2014 1:43 pm

Looks like I am going to play in the Atlanta open so I'll have to do much better testing than what I have been.

How has the 4 firedancer plan been working for everyone? Is it better in yall's opinion vs Mono U (which lets face it, isn't going anywhere) than running 3-4 mortars?

yurp yurp

Khaospawn
Khaospawn's beautiful and unique title

Postby Khaospawn » Tue Sep 02, 2014 2:27 pm

It replaces Chandra's Phoenix vs aggro, and I do like it better than if I were to draw Phoenix.
In a pinch, Khaos' beard can help turn this around.
I rarely skip a Khaospawn wall of text because I know there is always piss at the end of the rainbow.

HK1997

Update on RW Control

Postby HK1997 » Tue Sep 02, 2014 5:36 pm

Last time I posted I said that a 3-1 and a 4-0 dont make it a deck...

But 6x 3-1 and 1x 4-0 out of a total of 7 attempted dailies is a rock solid 75%+ win ratio over 28 matches. I tuned it somewhat more and here is my current updated version, that I ran for the last 2 dailies:

[deck= HK's RW Control]
Lands 24
8 Mountain
3 Mutavault
4 Sacred Foundry
1 Temple of Malice
2 Temple of Silence
4 Temple of Triumph
2 Battlefield Forge

Enchantments 6
4 Chained to the Rocks
2 Assemble the Legion

Planeswalkers 5
2 Elspeth, Sun's Champion
3 Chandra, Pyromaster

Burn 25
3 Shock
4 Lightning Strike
4 Magma Jet
1 Mizzium Mortars
3 Skullcrack
4 Boros Charm
4 Warleader Helix
2 Stoke the Flames

Sideboard 15
1 Deicide
1 Glare of Herecy
3 Nyx-Fleece Ram
1 Pillar of Light
3 Anger of the Gods
2 Mizzium Mortars
3 Toil // Trouble
1 Wear // Tear[/deck]

Barring a couple of play
mistakes (believing I clicked to assign blockers, when I didn't for example, or not taking 2 shock damage to get my chandra out on curve) and the usual hate from the modo shuffler, there were a couple more 4-0's in there in the hands of a better pilot.

One more note, when facing burn g1: It no longer is the most important thing to kill him before he kills you. The most important thing in the world is to resolve your Helix's to put yourself out of kill range with his cards in hand. If the game goes long, you will most likely win with one of your win cons.

EDIT: A massive thank you to dauntless and MDU for their help in making the tweaks. Searing blood in a control deck... what was I thinking?

Purp
Tire Aficionado

Postby Purp » Tue Sep 02, 2014 10:36 pm

Seems fun, but is the % against Mono U any better than with burn?

yurp yurp

JulianFrank
Newcomer

Postby JulianFrank » Wed Sep 03, 2014 6:51 am

So using THE Fire alarm project I got 15 wins today and 5 losses. Not bad at all, I didnt enter daily, because i need more practice and sideboard plans.

MDU, has a new "wacky" build I am dying to try. Ok guys so this where I need your help.

Tommorow is my weekly fnm standard tournament. I don't have 3 mutavaults on paper. Do I cut one mutavault for an extra alarm? Thanks in advance!

magicdownunder
Tire Aficionado

Postby magicdownunder » Wed Sep 03, 2014 8:14 am

MDU, has a new "wacky" build I am dying to try. Ok guys so this where I need your help.
The "wacky" build is Rw Control (which I used during MOCS and earlier), its very similar too HK's list (I ran less finishers, extra burns) - HK has continued to refine the list for the open meta game thus its most likely more efficient at this point.
Tommorow is my weekly fnm standard tournament. I don't have 3 mutavaults on paper. Do I cut one mutavault for an extra alarm? Thanks in advance!
You can't really go down on land and
expect to play your 4cc spells smoothly - if you don't have vault replace it with a scry land, why not try posting your current SB plan and reasoning - the board member can then offer suggestion after that :smileup:

Enjoy Pauper, Standard, Momir, Modern and Music? then visit my channel: Video Link

HK1997

Postby HK1997 » Wed Sep 03, 2014 8:50 am

Seems fun, but is the % against Mono U any better than with burn?

Actually the Mono U matchup has been surprisingly good! The post board game is quite stable in my opinion, as long as you play passively. The main threats to remove become raptor, NVS, the owl and Thassa, especially with a PW on board. Assemble, Ram, Mutavaults are our main defense vs Frostburn weird and Master of waves, outside of the clutch chained to the rocks. They have boarded Bident IN against me so wear // tear get's boarded in as well (also for hall of triumph). It is by the skin of your pants sometimes, going down to 2-3 life or whatever. Your goal is to get him to start top-decking, preferably without a thassa, while your draws are all removal and the eventual win condition.
The angers and mizziums are excellent sweepers for the early to late game. It feels scary at first, but if you are forced to commit to racing, the long game favors you intensly.

magicdownunder
Tire Aficionado

Postby magicdownunder » Wed Sep 03, 2014 9:08 am

Assemble, Ram, Mutavaults are our main defense vs Frostburn weird and Master of waves, outside of the clutch chained to the rocks. They have boarded Bident IN against me so wear // tear get's boarded in as well (also for hall of triumph). It is by the skin of your pants sometimes, going down to 2-3 life or whatever. Your goal is to get him to start top-decking, preferably without a thassa, while your draws are all removal and the eventual win condition. The angers and mizziums are excellent sweepers for the early to late game. It feels scary at first, but if you are forced to commit to racing, the long game favors you intensly.
Domestication on Ram is really crippling are you sure its worth the risk (even if we don't play creature on G1 its not a
stretch for them to assuming we didn't draw creatures or that we'll dancer on G2-3)?

I do however agree the Ux MU is good, though the dancer version would have it easier.

Enjoy Pauper, Standard, Momir, Modern and Music? then visit my channel: Video Link

JulianFrank
Newcomer

Postby JulianFrank » Wed Sep 03, 2014 9:25 am

My sideboard for fire alrm take 2 is
04x Satyr Firedancer03x Chanda, Pyromaster03x Searing Blood02x Glare of Heresy01x banishing light
1x Skullcrack01x Chained to the Rocks 

My meta is G/W devo. Lots of rabble red. Mono black control

Sideboard suggestion for matchups much appreciated

magicdownunder
Tire Aficionado

Postby magicdownunder » Wed Sep 03, 2014 9:59 am

My sideboard for fire alrm take 2 is
04x Satyr Firedancer03x Chanda, Pyromaster03x Searing Blood02x Glare of Heresy01x banishing light
1x Skullcrack01x Chained to the Rocks 

My meta is G/W devo. Lots of rabble red. Mono black control

Sideboard suggestion for matchups much appreciated
What is your current plan and why? Also if your meta had a huge showing of MonoBlack Devotion why not run Assemble the Legions? Unlike Green or White splash they have no ways in dealing with the card.

Likewise for GW and Rabble red they both rather weak against Boros Reckoner so you should be running him... anyhow its usually not good practice to just ask someone to give you a SB plan or just copying a list if you know your
targeted metagame - its better to metagame whenever you can.

HK1997

Postby HK1997 » Wed Sep 03, 2014 11:10 am

Assemble, Ram, Mutavaults are our main defense vs Frostburn weird and Master of waves, outside of the clutch chained to the rocks. They have boarded Bident IN against me so wear // tear get's boarded in as well (also for hall of triumph). It is by the skin of your pants sometimes, going down to 2-3 life or whatever. Your goal is to get him to start top-decking, preferably without a thassa, while your draws are all removal and the eventual win condition. The angers and mizziums are excellent sweepers for the early to late game. It feels scary at first, but if you are forced to commit to racing, the long
game favors you intensly.
Domestication on Ram is really crippling are you sure its worth the risk (even if we don't play creature on G1 its not a stretch for them to assuming we didn't draw creatures or that we'll dancer on G2-3)?

I do however agree the Ux MU is good, though the dancer version would have it easier.
So far I have not had any issues with domestication, since I havent seen it yet (also not thru deicide peak at deck). But the W // T and deicide that I bring in should keep that end covered half the time.

neo2381
Newcomer

Postby neo2381 » Wed Sep 03, 2014 3:31 pm

Last time I posted I said that a 3-1 and a 4-0 dont make it a deck...

But 6x 3-1 and 1x 4-0 out of a total of 7 attempted dailies is a rock solid 75%+ win ratio over 28 matches. I tuned it somewhat more and here is my current updated version, that I ran for the last 2 dailies:

[deck= HK's RW Control]
Lands 24
8 Mountain
3 Mutavault
4 Sacred Foundry
1 Temple of Malice
2 Temple of Silence
4 Temple of Triumph
2 Battlefield Forge

Enchantments 6
4 Chained to the Rocks
2 Assemble the Legion

Planeswalkers 5
2 Elspeth, Sun's Champion
3 Chandra, Pyromaster

Burn 25
3 Shock
4 Lightning Strike
4 Magma Jet
1 Mizzium Mortars
3 Skullcrack
4 Boros Charm
4 Warleader Helix
2 Stoke the Flames

Sideboard 15
1 Deicide
1 Glare of Herecy
3 Nyx-Fleece
Ram
1 Pillar of Light
3 Anger of the Gods
2 Mizzium Mortars
3 Toil // Trouble
1 Wear // Tear[/deck]

Barring a couple of play mistakes (believing I clicked to assign blockers, when I didn't for example, or not taking 2 shock damage to get my chandra out on curve) and the usual hate from the modo shuffler, there were a couple more 4-0's in there in the hands of a better pilot.

One more note, when facing burn g1: It no longer is the most important thing to kill him before he kills you. The most important thing in the world is to resolve your Helix's to put yourself out of kill range with his cards in hand. If the game goes long, you will most likely win with one of your win cons.

EDIT: A massive thank you to dauntless and MDU for their help in making the tweaks. Searing blood in a control deck... what was I thinking?
Your list looks really interesting but I miss some sideboard options, especially against Jund Walkers. It seems to me, that you don't have any cards for this
particular matchup, correct? I tried Toil/Trouble in this MU but didnt like it, cause after Duress into Caryatid into Xenagos, their hand was empty pretty soon. How are your experiences against this deck?
Have you tried Banishing Lights?

HK1997

Postby HK1997 » Wed Sep 03, 2014 8:44 pm

@neo

Well Jund Walkers is an interesting matchup. So far it has heavily depended on G1 and what I have shown him. So here are some of the things that influence my sideboard game:

Did the game go long enough for him to deduct that I dont run any creatures?
Did I show him Assemble? Did I show him Elspeth or Chandra?
Am I going to be on the play or on the draw?

For example my last game vs Jund walkers. G1 went until something like T6 or so for him to hit me with a rakdos for my entire hand and him with a full grip and both at semi-high life totals. I considered conceding before rakdos resolves because I had Chandra and Elspeth in hand. I decided to show him the PWs and went away boarding them out for G2. I drew my Assemble and was able to win thru Nissa's and the usual coursers and Xenagos in a longer gindier game. G3 I took out the Assembles and boarded Chandra back in, going for the "burn-him-out" quickly
route, which you can very well take.
For the normal games I actually like anger to clean up the board of any caryatids/tokens/dorks after killing a xenagos or before he can rakdos me for my hand. You can leave Assemble in post board for all games in my opinion. They only run 2 golgari charms and when they draw it, I've had my opponent fire off BOTH to save his courser from a Helix and a Stoke... I was holding my Assemble for 4 turns already since I saw his draws off the top.
In the end, If you manage to either stick a Chandra on T4, or Assemble on T5, it is quite over. If you are on the back foot and have to answer his PWs, or are scared to run out your win con, a Boros Charm and 2 extra mana do the trick too. Be efficient with your mana to mitigate the damage a rakdos does to you, but don't fire off your last 3 dmg spell at his face when you know next turn he has mana for xenagos or BC for nissa. These games tend to run long, if you cant burn him out. But in contrast to classic burn, you dont loose if
it goes long. Searing blood is a VERY good card vs Jund Walkers, if you want some backup. I've been fooling around with a heavier black splash and have exiled quite a few Nissas from their hands and libraries T4 with slaughter games. There is a lot of directions you can go.

About T // T. I like it. Jund runs Urborg, giving you one more potential black source. In one match TT drew me 4 cards, and killed a xenagos (good enough value for me) in one game, off my own black source, and in the third game of the match it drew me another 2 cards on T3. It isnt so bad if your TT does only three damage, if you can kill a walker for it.

Last note: Muta is your 4th hard win condition, besides burn-out. Try not to scry it away too much, because once you are both on 8 mana and top decking for your life, you are happy to have Muta to chop away at him or bait out a heroes downfall to protect any walker you draw. I cannot stress enough how much easier life get's, when you get your Chandra down first, from a
controlling perspective. Nissa, Courser & 4/4's die to a lightning strike or skullcrack, Xenagos to a magma jet, and so on. It becomes VERY hard for your opponent to get back into the game if you can keep your Chandra alive and makes any subsequent assemble or other draw, all the more devestating.

Purp
Tire Aficionado

Postby Purp » Thu Sep 04, 2014 12:51 am

I am heavily contemplating running 2-3 rams in teh SB for the open.

yurp yurp

magicdownunder
Tire Aficionado

Postby magicdownunder » Thu Sep 04, 2014 2:06 am

I think the problem people are having with [card]Toil // Trouble[/card] vs Jund Walkers is that they're expecting 5+ damage.

The thing is we're not running [card]Toil // Trouble[/card] too deal 5+ damage - we're just running the card too deal damage or draw cards - since they're a deck which runs tons of removal, enchantment hate, exile we have lots of card which would normal just deal 0... and because they're a deck which run all those + redundant walkers - if you "next level" them T//T should deal 3+ damage, its not 5+ but its better then nothing.

magicdownunder
Tire Aficionado

Postby magicdownunder » Thu Sep 04, 2014 5:45 am

Here is my current take on Rw Control which HK has been working on:

[deck=MDU's Token Burn]Lands 25
9 Mountain
4 Sacred Foundry
4 Temple of Triumph
4 Mutavault
3 Battlefield Forge
1 Temple of Silence
1 Temple of Malice

Others 09
3 Chained to the Rocks
2 Chanda, Pyromaster
2 Assemble the Legions
1 Elspeth, Sun's Champion
1 Mizzium Mortars

Burns 26
4 Shock
4 Lightning Strike
4 Boros Charm
4 Warleader’s Helix
4 Skullcrack
4 Magma Jet
2 Stoke the Flames

Sideboard 15
4 Nyx-Fleece Ram
3 Anger of the Gods
2 Glare of Hearsy
2 Pillar of Light
1 Deicide
1 Mizzium Mortars
1 Chanda, Pyromaster
1 Assemble the Legions[/deck]
Sideboard Guide
Ux Devotion
Out: 4 Boros Charm, 2 Skullcrack
In: 3 Anger of the Gods, 1 Deicide, 1 Mizzium Mortars, 1 Chanda, Pyromaster

BW Control
Out: 2 Chanda, Pyromaster, 2 Skullcrack
In: 1 Assemble the Legions, 1 Mizzium Mortars, 2 Pillar of
Light

Rabble Red
Out: 4 Boros Charm, 4 Skullcrack, 1 Assemble the Legions
In: 3 Anger of the Gods, 4 Nyx-Fleece Ram, 1 Mizzium Mortars, 1 Chanda, Pyromaster

Jund Walkers
Out: 2 Chanda, Pyromaster
In: 1 Mizzium Mortars, 1 Assemble the Legions

UW Control
Out: 1 Mizzium Mortars, 2 Assemble the Legions, 1 Elspeth, Sun's Champion
In: 1 Chanda, Pyromaster, 2 Glare of Hearsy, 1 Deicide

Burn
Out: 2 Assemble the Legions, 1 Elspeth, Sun's Champion, 1 Mizzium Mortars
In: 4 Nyx-Fleece Ram

Midrange Creatures (x/4)
Out: 2 Chanda, Pyromaster, 4 Boros Charm, 4 Skullcrack
In: 4 Nyx-Fleece Ram, 3 Anger of the Gods, 2 Pillar of Light, 1 Mizzium Mortars
Enjoy :smileup:

JulianFrank
Newcomer

Postby JulianFrank » Thu Sep 04, 2014 5:59 am

Going to run it right now!!!!!!!!!! here we gooooooo

Purp
Tire Aficionado

Postby Purp » Thu Sep 04, 2014 3:48 pm

Ran through a few 8 mans last night with Z's list as a starting point (changed a few cards around) in prep for the open. Had a lot of close calls with rabble red and it was most due to drawing firedancer late game when I needed to be drawing a spell. What I like the most about Z's list and what I've noticed from recent well placing lists, is density of certain spells. Sometime creating the most consistent form of the deck can be the best.

Some thoughts from testing last night:
I don't think I want to run less than 4 WLH in an Open environment. I was initially impressed with 4 stoke/3 WLH, but I realize the life gain against Rabble Red or even burn is crucial.

Here is where I think I currently am:

[deck]Creatures
4 Chandra's Phoenix
4 Young Pyromancer

Non-creature Spells
4 Boros Charm
4 Lightning Strike
2 Magma Jet(+1)
4 Shock
3 Searing Blood(-1) I like this can help put a clock on rabble.
Skullcrack
3 Stoke the Flames
4 Warleader's Helix

Lands
4 Battlefield Forge
8 Mountain
4 Mutavault
4 Sacred Foundry
4 Temple of Triumph

Sideboard
4 Chained to the Rocks
2 Glare of Heresy
2 Chandra
1 Skullcrack
3 Satyr Firedancer
3 Boros Reckoner
[/deck]

Reckoner is there as another blocker for rabble, as a threat against burn (I dislike phoenix in this matchup), in concession to green decks (whether it be a monsters variant or gw aggro) and a POSSIBLE creature for UW (resilient to last breath, provides 2 dmg vs jace, and may eat a dsphere [untested, but tomorrow my play group will be running the gauntlet so I'll get more idea])

I don't want to lose to Red decks or burn mirrors, which has me contemplating running Rams in the spot of reckoner. However, the lack of mortars has me fearing monsters variants. (I could see -3 Satyr, -3 Reckoner +3 Rams +3 Mortars. Rams don't die to searing blood, which can hurt pretty bad vs rabble. But I am convinced firedancer is better than
mortars vs mono u)

I am also debating trying to get 2 chains into the main, in order to achieve this I'd probably -1 Searing Blood, -1 Stoke. This would open up 2 SB slots. I feel weak to DDemon in G1.

edit: brad nelsons newer Rabble Red list (viewtopic.php?p=253357#p253357) just destroys his burn opponent. reckoner seems like it will be nice to have if that is flooding the Atlanta open. Firedancer stocks goes down when they are siding in 4 searing bloods and 2 magma sprays.

yurp yurp

NotARobot

Postby NotARobot » Thu Sep 04, 2014 5:09 pm

I've found that I don't really miss the mortars sideboard since I switched to having the full 4x stoke in the main.

And I don't think I'd ever bring in firedancer vs rabble... they have too much removal for it, you're usually in a REALLY bad spot if you go to burn their face and your dancer gets killed in response, much safer generally to just go for the creatures imo. Dancer shines against the mono U and G because they don't pack the removal, thats not the case for rabble.

Purp
Tire Aficionado

Postby Purp » Thu Sep 04, 2014 7:13 pm

I am trying to prepare for for the new rabble burn deck that was displayed on SCG, as I believe it is a strict upgrade to the current Rabble Red. In which case, firedancer and reckoner are even imo vs Green decks, with reckoner having a huge edge in the rabble red and burn matchup where firedancer only has the edge against mono u.

yurp yurp

Kaitscralt
A frog among toads

Postby Kaitscralt » Fri Sep 05, 2014 12:48 am

Tried to pair up against HK in an 8 man earlier but it was not to be

Still emerged with my 5 packs though...

LP, of the Fires
Tire Aficionado

Postby LP, of the Fires » Fri Sep 05, 2014 2:08 am

Don't bring in firedancer vs rabble red. It doesn't work.

Don't expect to play against rabble burn. It won't be popular at all.
You gotta understand, I love the beatdown. I really do. I always have.

Beatdown is hard, though.

Patrick chapin

LP, of the Fires
Tire Aficionado

Postby LP, of the Fires » Fri Sep 05, 2014 2:12 am

If you want 'tech' vs. rabble red, I'd play things like reckoner, forge devil, chandra, or flames of the firebrand. You beat the deck by creating two-for ones and running us out of cards while conscious of the fact that you still need to kill us.
You gotta understand, I love the beatdown. I really do. I always have.

Beatdown is hard, though.

Patrick chapin

JulianFrank
Newcomer

Postby JulianFrank » Fri Sep 05, 2014 6:59 am

So RabbleBurn has been dominating my FNM for the past 3 weeks, The dude is a straight genius. I have been running MDU'S FireAlarm take 2 for two weeks now on paper...I am getting wrecked in my local meta; Yet when I play online I attain at least a 50% win percentage. Maybe I am not shuffling well enough, Or my sideboard decisions are weak, I really don't know. I spend a whole week testing a deck online and performing well and then get 0-3 at my local FNM. I never leave the place mad, I enjoy the social aspect to the fullest extent, But damn am I a horrible paper magic player....

magicdownunder
Tire Aficionado

Postby magicdownunder » Fri Sep 05, 2014 7:48 am

JulianFrank didn't I post suggestion for your metagame last page? Like LP said if you want "tech" for Rabble red just run Reckoner, combined that with burn + chandra and you'll have solid time (that FireAlarm list was made for board meta tackling the top6, thus its better for online rather then a focused local meta).

Kaitscralt
A frog among toads

Postby Kaitscralt » Fri Sep 05, 2014 7:58 am

I am not sure Raise the Alarm tech is for anybody...

magicdownunder
Tire Aficionado

Postby magicdownunder » Fri Sep 05, 2014 8:29 am

Its was quite decent against that short weenies spree, it also has some nice moments with stoke - though it doesn't improve the bad MUs so I see where that comment comes from.

sirzevo
Newcomer

Postby sirzevo » Fri Sep 05, 2014 10:36 am

@MDU

Suggestions for your list against Dredge? :)
Find me on Cockatrice and Xmage: scottymandingo.

Be sure to come follow me on Twitch!

magicdownunder
Tire Aficionado

Postby magicdownunder » Fri Sep 05, 2014 11:48 am

@MDU

Suggestions for your list against Dredge? :)
Which list?

I can't imagine dredge being an awfully difficult MU, just pack in your enchantment hate and dancer - unless they have really solid draw they'll have a rough time against you.

sirzevo
Newcomer

Postby sirzevo » Fri Sep 05, 2014 5:11 pm

Here is my current take on Rw Control which HK has been working on:

[deck=MDU's Token Burn]Lands 25
9 Mountain
4 Sacred Foundry
4 Temple of Triumph
4 Mutavault
3 Battlefield Forge
1 Temple of Silence
1 Temple of Malice

Others 09
3 Chained to the Rocks
2 Chanda, Pyromaster
2 Assemble the Legions
1 Elspeth, Sun's Champion
1 Mizzium Mortars

Burns 26
4 Shock
4 Lightning Strike
4 Boros Charm
4 Warleader’s Helix
4 Skullcrack
4 Magma Jet
2 Stoke the Flames

Sideboard 15
4 Nyx-Fleece Ram
3 Anger of the Gods
2 Glare of Hearsy
2 Pillar of Light
1 Deicide
1 Mizzium Mortars
1 Chanda, Pyromaster
1 Assemble the Legions[/deck]
This deck list. I'm running a different list and lost to it (G/B Dredge) 1-2 the other
day.
Find me on Cockatrice and Xmage: scottymandingo.

Be sure to come follow me on Twitch!

magicdownunder
Tire Aficionado

Postby magicdownunder » Sat Sep 06, 2014 7:04 am

That list is horrible vs fringe decks sadly....

- - - - - - - - -

I've been playing Zem's WMCQ list:

[deck=Z'burn]Lands 24
4 Battlefield Forge
8 Mountain
4 Mutavault
4 Sacred Foundry
4 Temple of Triumph

Creatures 08
4 Chandra's Phoenix
4 Young Pyromancer

Non-creature Spells 36
4 Boros Charm
4 Lightning Strike
4 Magma Jet
4 Shock
4 Skullcrack
4 Stoke the Flames
4 Warleader's Helix

Sideboard 15
4 Chained to the Rocks
4 Eidolon of the Great Revel
4 Satyr Firedancer
3 Glare of Heresy[/deck]

I played two SE events (Purp was playing as well but we didn't face each other - though his game vs RB was amusing as heck) I ended up going 2-1 in both of them.

Thoughts:
1) Initially I felt that that running Magma Jet without Chained to the Rocks was a mistake, however they function fine without them.
2) Not running Chandra's Pyromaster in the 75 feels wrong (its much harder too control
Rabble red like this)
3) Eidolon of the Great Revel elated mix feeling (much like away) I used him against UW Control, BW and Bx Devo with mixed results

The games I lost were

1) The mirror where I lost the final because I decided too gamble - I could have just kept the shock which would have won me the game 1 turn later however I wanted a 3 damage burn spell to win on the spot but because I scry the burn away and ended up toping 3 lands my opp. manage too burn me out :tears:

2) Rabble Red where I lacked any finishers so his Hall + topdecks eventually outclass my 1-for-1 burn trades.

The games I won were:

Bx Devo, BW Control/Midrange x2 and Jund Walkers.

- - - - - -

Played another SE and went 2-1 again.... this time beating Mirror and U Devo, then losing against U devo 1-2 (g1 and g3 we're razor close though).

I like the MD so I'll be adjusting the SB tomorrow, still not kine on Eidolon
of the Great Revel though I have dealt 4-6 damage with the little bastard against BW and UW.

Purp
Tire Aficionado

Postby Purp » Sat Sep 06, 2014 5:55 pm

That RB deck seems like it was made to beat burn and burn only. Its so much easier to skip through combat step on the new client.

Here is currently where I am at

[deck]Lands 24
4 Battlefield Forge
8 Mountain
4 Mutavault
4 Sacred Foundry
4 Temple of Triumph

Creatures 08
4 Chandra's Phoenix
4 Young Pyromancer

Non-creature Spells 36
4 Boros Charm
4 Lightning Strike
3 Magma Jet
3 Shock
3 Skullcrack
3 Stoke the Flames
4 Warleader's Helix
4 Searing Blood

SB
3 Satyr Firedancer
2 Reckoner
2 Glare
2 Chandra
4 Chains
1 BL
1 Skullcrack
[/deck]

yurp yurp

HK1997

Postby HK1997 » Sun Sep 07, 2014 9:23 am

Currently running into the mirror every third game on modo. It also seems its every second feature match with burn on SCG atm so be prepared guys.

magicdownunder
Tire Aficionado

Postby magicdownunder » Sun Sep 07, 2014 1:09 pm

[deck=MDU's Zburn]Lands 24
4 Battlefield Forge
8 Mountain
4 Mutavault
4 Sacred Foundry
4 Temple of Triumph

Creatures 08
4 Chandra's Phoenix
4 Young Pyromancer

Non-creature Spells 36
4 Boros Charm
4 Lightning Strike
4 Magma Jet
4 Shock
4 Skullcrack
4 Stoke the Flames
4 Warleader's Helix

Sideboard 15
3 Chained to the Rocks
3 Chandra, Pyromaster
3 Mizzium Mortars
2 Glare of Heresy
2 Banishing Light
1 Wear // Tear
1 Wild Richochet [/deck]

I took out Satyr Firedancer because they're only good vs Ux Devo while Mizzium Mortars deals with pretty much everything including Jund, Rabble red and BW.

I took out Eidolon of the Great Revel because its iffy card for burn, even vs UW Control the ram make its a daring play. I placed Chandra, Pyromaster back because she just wins game.

W//T replaces the third Glare since it works against the other MUs while being decent vs Control. Banishing Light
also makes the return for similar reason (but mainly because I want an answer for random cards like Thasa, Domestication, Hall, Hammer and so on) finally the 1x WR is my expression of love for the mirror....

LaZerBurn
Tire Aficionado

Postby LaZerBurn » Sun Sep 07, 2014 4:29 pm

I like this list MDU :)
Thanks to NerdBoyWonder for the awesome sig :)

Return to “Archives”