[Fedoras of Salvation] - White Knights ITT

Moderator: redthirst

Dane
(View: POSTS_VIEWTOPIC /POSTS_VIEWTOPIC_INTO)

Postby Dane » Thu May 30, 2013 6:38 pm

@Dane: Kamahl said $180, which honestly seems reasonable to me, if you preordered them at the very beginning.
I wonder where he's at. I know at least one store in my area that is not taking preorders, and is selling at MSRP, on a first-come, first-serve basis.

I'm not sure if they're setting a per-person box limit though.
I'm just amazed by how dumb you can consistently pretend to be.

Valdarith
Tire Aficionado

Postby Valdarith » Thu May 30, 2013 6:40 pm

Well there's already guests in the thread. HELLO MODS. I'D CALL YOU MTGS MODS BUT MTGS FILTERS TO iridium!
An alternative explanation is that your sig link is actually working.
Check out my stream! http://www.twitch.tv/valdarith

Alex
Not Even MAD

Postby Alex » Thu May 30, 2013 6:41 pm

Well there's already guests in the thread. HELLO MODS. I'D CALL YOU MTGS MODS BUT MTGS FILTERS TO iridium!
An alternative explanation is that your sig link is actually working.
That would imply that people actually think what I says has merit. I imagine that's not the case. It's probably just Sene being buttmad.

Self Medicated
Tire Aficionado

Postby Self Medicated » Thu May 30, 2013 6:51 pm

Do you think people like Rivaltuna and Sarkhan's Apprentice are autistic?
Just curious as to your intent behind this question? Are you implying that autism is a bad thing?
SM, you complete me. :love:

Alex
Not Even MAD

Postby Alex » Thu May 30, 2013 7:03 pm

Just curious as to your intent behind this question? Are you implying that autism is a bad thing?
Have you ever interacted with those two? There's something not right upstairs, guaranteed.

Kazekirimaru
Tire Aficionado

Postby Kazekirimaru » Thu May 30, 2013 7:04 pm

Can't say I'm a fan of you using Autism as a means to ridicule people, Alex. But, alas, I'm sure you don't care.

Kazekirimaru
Tire Aficionado

Postby Kazekirimaru » Thu May 30, 2013 7:05 pm

Congradulations on all those who recently got promoted! You all deserve it.

And I wish the happiest of birthdays to Platypus. :toot:

Self Medicated
Tire Aficionado

Postby Self Medicated » Thu May 30, 2013 7:06 pm

Have you ever interacted with those two? There's something not right upstairs, guaranteed.
I have, but that doesn't answer my question.

Alex
Not Even MAD

Postby Alex » Thu May 30, 2013 7:10 pm

You guys are right, autistic is a stupid fucking word in general, since you can't even use it to describe people who are autistic.

:rolleyes:

Self Medicated
Tire Aficionado

Postby Self Medicated » Thu May 30, 2013 7:13 pm

Still haven't answered my question. Describing people as autistic is fine. Implying that autism is a bad thing is a dick move.

Dane

Postby Dane » Thu May 30, 2013 7:20 pm

Would you guys be interested in doing one of those Guild Wars type deals on Cockatrice within FoS? Or maybe even opening it up to everyone? I've got an idea for a hella Dimir deck, and I think all-in-all it could be fun, especially since it's a "play whenever you want" type thing.
I'd like to do anything that helps me get familiar with Cockatrice, and the conventions that people expect to be followed in a friendly environment. I just barely downloaded it the other day, and tried playing a local game against myself, and found myself wondering exactly how much detail opponents expect...when you tap a dual land, do you need to increment the color of mana that you want, and the decrease the counter when you spend it, or do people just
take it on faith, and bust you if you try to do something illegal?

I really don't have the tolerance or patience to just log on and try with randoms...but I really need a testing tool other than Forge, since my testing group fell apart.

Dane

Postby Dane » Thu May 30, 2013 7:24 pm

You guys are right, autistic is a stupid fucking word in general, since you can't even use it to describe people who are autistic.

I'm starting to worry that we're getting a bit PC.
Still haven't answered my question. Describing people as autistic is fine. Implying that autism is a bad thing is a dick move.
Being autistic isn't a BAD thing, but it certainly isn't a desirable thing. Acting like someone autistic, when you aren't, IS a bad thing.

I, like everyone else, have my own pathology. Making every single "problem" people have into a protected
class is a fast road to a society of mediocrity. Feeling shame about my downfalls has hurt my feelings, but also pushed me to get past them.

Self Medicated
Tire Aficionado

Postby Self Medicated » Thu May 30, 2013 7:32 pm

Being autistic isn't a BAD thing, but it certainly isn't a desirable thing. Acting like someone
autistic, when you aren't, IS a bad thing.

I, like everyone else, have my own pathology. Making every single "problem" people have into a protected class is a fast road to a society of mediocrity. Feeling shame about my downfalls has hurt my feelings, but also pushed me to get past them.
Sorry if I'm coming off as defensive. Just to provide some background, my son is autistic. He has several friends whom are also autistic. They are an extremely friendly group of kids. They are also very bright. So when someone equates autism with stupidity, it tends to upset me.

photodyer
Tire Aficionado

Postby photodyer » Thu May 30, 2013 7:39 pm

Got bored, wandered over to Sally, ran onto typical Kamahl bullshit here, couldn't leave it alone. Why do people feel the need to post such trash? Does anyone really feel like a better person by posting that they're getting a better in than someone else when it's obviously fictitious? Or am I just the only ignoramus who doesn't know about all the wonderful, selfless card shops that can afford to sell off MM in bulk at discounted prices?
What's the MSRP
for a box of MM? He said he was getting them for $160, right?
MSRP is around $170, he claimed to be getting 3 boxes at $160; prices are currently $250-300. I know some stores made decent deals to regular customers, but the thread progression was typical braggy trash; someone (1st time poster) said they got 3 boxes at $180, then Kamahl piped that he got 3 at $160. Yes, this might fall in the realm of possible realities, but I call bullshit dick-showing contest among amateurs. It got under my skin because someone was honestly asking about the reality of finding a reasonably-priced box and the whole thread was at least half trash talk. Besides, I was in the mood to stir the pot a bit...bored at work does that .
Righteous sig by NBW

Skaldic Master of Fiery Salvation

Common Sense is now a Mythic Rare.

Helios
Tire Aficionado

Postby Helios » Thu May 30, 2013 7:48 pm

@photo: You really should just stop reading posts on MTGS, other than spoilers:P I was reading that thread last night, and then realized that there was just absolutely no content there.
PS: How likely does it seem that I get banned within a week of being back on MTGS? Especially with this signature?
I speculate that you don't care, but the autism thing in your sig is really in poor taste. It doesn't exactly make our community seem like the great place it is.
Last edited by Helios on Thu May 30, 2013 7:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.

photodyer
Tire Aficionado

Postby photodyer » Thu May 30, 2013 7:49 pm

Still haven't answered my question. Describing people as autistic is fine.
Implying that autism is a bad thing is a dick move.
Being autistic isn't a BAD thing, but it certainly isn't a desirable thing. Acting like someone autistic, when you aren't, IS a bad thing.

I, like everyone else, have my own pathology. Making every single "problem" people have into a protected class is a fast road to a society of mediocrity. Feeling shame about my downfalls has hurt my feelings, but also pushed me to get past them.
+1 this all the way, Virgil. My son was "officially" diagnosed with Asperger's, though by new criteria he would labeled as having high-functioning Autism Spectrum Disorder. I'll be blunt here as well; equating autism--which is primarily a defect in sensory processing--with mental deficiency is ignorant and offensive. Alex, you're and editor and get twitchy with people for not understanding the reality behind what they write...practice what you preach here.

Sorry if I'm coming off as
defensive. Just to provide some background, my son is autistic. He has several friends whom are also autistic. They are an extremely friendly group of kids. They are also very bright. So when someone equates autism with stupidity, it tends to upset me.
Righteous sig by NBW

photodyer
Tire Aficionado

Postby photodyer » Thu May 30, 2013 7:53 pm

I'm starting to
worry that we're getting a bit PC.

+1 this all the way, Virgil. My son was "officially" diagnosed with Asperger's, though by new criteria he would labeled as having high-functioning Autism Spectrum Disorder. I'll be blunt here as well; equating autism--which is primarily a defect in sensory processing--with mental deficiency is ignorant and offensive. Alex, you're and
editor and get twitchy with people for not understanding the reality behind what they write...practice what you preach here.

Sorry if I'm coming off as defensive. Just to provide some background, my son is autistic. He has several friends whom are also autistic. They are an extremely friendly group of kids. They are also very bright. So when someone equates autism with stupidity, it tends to upset me.
EDIT: I hadn't backtracked far enough in the thread to catch the sig thing. Alex, that sig is ignorant, offensive bullshit and kills your credibility relative to your rants about talentless professionals.
Righteous sig by NBW

Dane

Postby Dane » Thu May 30, 2013 7:57 pm

Still haven't answered my question. Describing people as autistic
is fine. Implying that autism is a bad thing is a dick move.

Completely understandable. My kids are not autistic, but when my younger son was born (keep in mind, I wasn't around for the birth of the older son, or I'd probably have felt the same way) I was terrified he'd be
autistic. My wife has a cousin who is extremely low-functioning autistic...to the point that eventually, he'll have to be institutionalized. Every time my son didn't hit a milestone right on time, I'd start panicking.

If he'd turned out to be autistic, I'd still love him, but I know things would be very different, and much much harder. We need to call a spade a spade. Autism IS a defect. It doesn't mean your son or anyone else with autism is bad, or wrong, but they have issues, just like everyone else, that they and their circles have to learn to function with.

Bottom line is, I'd say anyone has to admit that autism is not a desirable thing to have. No one wishes for it. But, those who have it, or are close to someone who does have to make the choice about how much they're going to let it define them. Pointing out that someone is displaying traits of autism in a pejorative fashion doesn't reflect on your son or his friends unless his condition (not sure what the proper term is here...I don't
think "disease" fits) is what defines him. I'd like to think that isn't how you think of your son, or how he thinks of himself. He is HIM...he is your son. He's not "an autistic," but someone who happens to have autism.

I have no clue if I'm making any sense...I've had super bad insomnia lately, but feel free to question if I'm not being clear.

Alex
Not Even MAD

Postby Alex » Thu May 30, 2013 7:59 pm

Someone is hardcore projecting onto me. Notice how I used a term to describe a group of people, (aptly, as I'm sure many here are willing to agree) and your first thought it "He must be attacking them!" Believe it or not, I'm pretty good at this English stuff. I know exactly what each word I use entails and implies. But now that I think about it, autistic is a word that you can basically never use because someone will always get buttmad no matter your intent. That being said...

Here, let me help you.

Dane

Postby Dane » Thu May 30, 2013 8:00 pm

Got bored, wandered over to Sally, ran onto typical Kamahl bullshit here, couldn't leave it alone. Why do people feel the need to post such trash? Does anyone really feel like a better person by posting that they're getting a better in than someone else when it's obviously fictitious? Or am I just the only
ignoramus who doesn't know about all the wonderful, selfless card shops that can afford to sell off MM in bulk at discounted prices?
What's the MSRP for a box of MM? He said he was getting them for $160, right?
MSRP is around $170, he claimed to be getting 3 boxes at $160; prices are currently $250-300. I know some stores made decent deals to regular customers, but the thread progression was typical braggy trash; someone (1st time poster) said they got 3 boxes at $180, then Kamahl piped that he got 3 at $160. Yes, this might fall in the realm of possible realities, but I call bullshit dick-showing contest among amateurs. It got under my skin because someone was honestly asking about the reality of finding a reasonably-priced box and the whole thread was at least half trash talk. Besides, I was in the mood to stir the pot a bit...bored at work does that .
Yeah, I don't see why someone would need to brag about how many boxes they're getting at
what price. Not like it makes him a better player or anything. Congrats, you got a good deal. Here's your "Super Shopper" hat.

Fuck, I'm taking a nap as soon as I get home. I have to figure out this sleep issue.

Helios
Tire Aficionado

Postby Helios » Thu May 30, 2013 8:03 pm

We should probably all chill before this escalates any further.

Khaospawn
Khaospawn's beautiful and unique title

Postby Khaospawn » Thu May 30, 2013 8:05 pm

I "thanked" Alex's post abut his sig, but definitely not for the autistic remark. I love that he wants to give the middle finger to any sort of establishment.

With that said, my fiance's son is autistic and I love him as if he were my own. Autistic does not mean stupid, and to imply that it means so is a sure sign of ignorance.

I don't agree with the autism comment one bit. However, I do respect your right to post such a remark and I choose to not get offended over it.
In a pinch, Khaos' beard can help turn this around.
I rarely skip a Khaospawn wall of text because I know there is always piss at the end of the rainbow.

redthirst
Tire Aficionado

Postby redthirst » Thu May 30, 2013 8:14 pm

We should probably all chill before this escalates any further.
I'll try.

1. Autism is bad. That's why no one says "I've got Autism? Fuck yeah!"
2. People with Autism aren't bad and using Autism as a derogitory term is a dick move.
3. Alex doesn't care about either of those points because he's an asshole - but he's our asshole so cut him a little slack.

Even though you don't care, Alex, you could avoid a lot of potential drama by changing it to "fucking wads/idiots/etc." which is still insulting to the people you want to insult without being insulting to people you don't.

I also feel you should include LeoninKha and Kamahl the Fallen in your sig.
Last edited by redthirst on Thu May 30, 2013 8:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Originally posted by Dechs Kaison on MTGS
redthirst is redthirst, fifth Horseman of the Apocalypse. He was the leader of the Fires of Salvation, the only clan I'm aware of to get modded off the forums so hard they made their own forums.

Degenerate? Sure. Loudmouth? You bet. Law abiding? No ****ing way.

Great guy to have around? Hell yes.
I love the D...

photodyer
Tire Aficionado

Postby photodyer » Thu May 30, 2013 8:14 pm

Dane, you're quite right that the diagnosis does not define the person. We are each distinct beings, and to limit anyone's potential for greatness by confining them to a label is selling them short.

But, that being said, autism by it's very definition does not imply any sort of intellectual impairment. Many people on the spectrum are scary-smart and accomplish amazing things--including, just for quick examples, Einstein and Michelangelo. The use of "autism" as a pejorative isn't only in poor taste, it demonstrates and ignorance of what the disorder really is. Yes, extreme low-functioning autistics do often demonstrate impaired mentation, but autism does not equate with intellectual impairment or poor reasoning abilities.
Righteous sig by NBW

lorddax
Tire Aficionado

Postby lorddax » Thu May 30, 2013 8:15 pm

Heres a cooling off - Just got this in my FB chat:

"i think he's coming over tomorrow before i go to work
but we could go on a date?
go back to my place...
take our clothes off...
try out the 200feet of rope...."

Life is more fun when you decide normal is overrated and extend the middle to society and its thoughts on "how people should act" lol
Some men just want to watch the planes burn. . .and most of them are here.
FoS resident designer/codemonkey
MTGO:lorddax Cockatrice:lorddax

Self Medicated
Tire Aficionado

Postby Self Medicated » Thu May 30, 2013 8:18 pm

Alex, I totally respect your right to post such remarks. And I understand that inflammatory remarks are meant to rankle some people and elicit a response. So why are you surprised at the response? Or is it possible that you knew exactly what kind of response you would get just to tell someone (in this case, me) that they're butthurt? That's trolling, and it's a dick move as well.

Alex
Not Even MAD

Postby Alex » Thu May 30, 2013 8:18 pm

3. Alex doesn't care about either of those points because he's an asshole
tl;dr: ^. Having Asperger's is a awesome sometimes, because I was naturally born with thick skin.

redthirst
Tire Aficionado

Postby redthirst » Thu May 30, 2013 8:21 pm

You have Asperger's?

Pieces are falling into place...
Originally posted by Dechs Kaison on MTGS
redthirst is redthirst, fifth Horseman of the Apocalypse. He was the leader of the Fires of Salvation, the only clan I'm aware of to get modded off the forums so hard they made their own forums.

Degenerate? Sure. Loudmouth? You bet. Law abiding? No ****ing way.

Great guy to have around? Hell yes.
I love the D...

Khaospawn

Postby Khaospawn » Thu May 30, 2013 8:22 pm

But, that being said, autism by it's very definition does not imply any sort of intellectual impairment. Many people on the spectrum are scary-smart and accomplish amazing things--including, just for quick examples, Einstein and Michelangelo. The use of "autism" as a pejorative isn't only in poor taste, it demonstrates and ignorance of what the disorder really is. Yes, extreme low-functioning autistics do often demonstrate impaired mentation, but autism does not equate with intellectual impairment or poor reasoning abilities.
This reminds me of something that one of the guys I play Magic with said. He's autistic, but he's cool as fuck. He's also a very technical Magic player, at least as long as he's playing one of the
several archetypes he's mastered.

He said, "Think of autism as the next phase of human evolution, except that with some of the people, a little too much of the special sauce got added to the mix. That's all."

I don't know about anybody else, but when I heard that, I saw autism in a different light. Later in life, I met an awesome woman who happened to have an amazing 7 year old autistic son. I love him to death, and he can even routinely kick my ass almost all video games. He's seen me tinker with decks and he's shown a curiosity in Magic, so I'm curious to see where that may lead.

And I will also add that the most pissed off I've been in recent months was when some fuckstick stole my Autism Awareness ribbon/magnet/thing off of the back of my truck. I will rape the soul of the cum-dumpster who took it from me....
I rarely skip a Khaospawn wall of text because I know there is always piss at the end of the rainbow.

Alex
Not Even MAD

Postby Alex » Thu May 30, 2013 8:25 pm

It's not severe, but I do have a pretty hard time reading people's emotions. I was also an extremely awkward kid/teenager, but I've since trained myself to be pretty normal overall. It's certainly deliberate though.

I'm guilty of lots of typical 'spergy things though. I have to force myself to make eye contact with people, I accidentally say things out-loud that I'm thinking without realizing it, I get super fixated on things, and I'm just generally resistant to changes in my life.
Last edited by Alex on Thu May 30, 2013 8:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Khaospawn

Postby Khaospawn » Thu May 30, 2013 8:26 pm

I've since trained myself to be pretty normal overall. It's certainly deliberate though.
Normal is overrated.

photodyer
Tire Aficionado

Postby photodyer » Thu May 30, 2013 8:28 pm

Someone is hardcore projecting onto me. Notice how I used a term to describe a group of people, (aptly, as I'm sure many here are willing to agree) and your first thought it "He must be attacking them!" Believe it or not, I'm pretty good at this English stuff. I know exactly what each word I use entails and implies. But now that I think about it, autistic is a word that you can basically never use because someone will always get buttmad no matter your
intent. That being said...

Here, let me help you.

Alex, I'm not at all butthurt as you've never made any secret of the fact that you delight in button-pushing. Rather, I'm flat telling you that you undermine your claim of being "pretty good at this English stuff" by using "autistic" as a pejorative relative to higher reasoning ability. It's a neurological defect characterized by sensory processing issues, and your use in your sig shows that you don't understand the word you're using. Though I definitely find your sig in poor taste, I think more germane to your line of argument is the fact that you contradict your own claims of English mastery through this demonstrated ignorance. Cold, clinical evaluation here.

EDIT: And yes, lightbulb goes on. Just to clarify, I would have used the above
explanation in a discussion with my son over a similar point (we have lots of social story type talks; he has to intellectualize the things that others can pick up on emotional radar). He, like you is mild and high-functioning, remarkable intellect with impaired social skills. Dammit Alex...thanks for letting me know what my next 10 years are apt to look like. ;-)
Last edited by photodyer on Thu May 30, 2013 8:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Righteous sig by NBW

Alex
Not Even MAD

Postby Alex » Thu May 30, 2013 8:32 pm

Someone is hardcore projecting onto me. Notice how I used a term to describe a group of people, (aptly, as I'm sure many here are willing to agree) and your first thought it "He must be attacking them!" Believe it or not, I'm pretty good at this English stuff. I know exactly what each word I use
entails and implies. But now that I think about it, autistic is a word that you can basically never use because someone will always get buttmad no matter your intent. That being said...

Here, let me help you.

Alex, I'm not at all butthurt as you've never made any secret of the fact that you delight in button-pushing. Rather, I'm flat telling you that you undermine your claim of being "pretty good at this English stuff" by using "autistic" as a pejorative relative to higher reasoning ability. It's a neurological defect characterized by sensory processing issues, and your use in your sig shows that you don't understand the word you're using. Though I definitely find your sig in poor taste, I think more germane to your line of argument is the fact that you contradict your own claims of English
mastery through this demonstrated ignorance. Cold, clinical evaluation here.
So basically you agree that it's projection. I'm glad we're on the same page.

At least you understand why I chose the word. Everyone else is just mad to be mad.

photodyer
Tire Aficionado

Postby photodyer » Thu May 30, 2013 8:36 pm

Alex, note my edit above after your disclosure. I'm following...
Righteous sig by NBW

lorddax
Tire Aficionado

Postby lorddax » Thu May 30, 2013 8:37 pm

I've since trained myself to be pretty normal overall. It's certainly deliberate though.
Normal is overrated.
Amen to that.

Normality are the shackles in which complacence and ennui fester. Unyoke yourself from societal expectation! Grow and thrive in the unique manner defined only by yourself. Life should be an wild adventure, not a normal destination.
Some men just want to watch the planes burn. . .and most of them are here.
FoS resident designer/codemonkey
MTGO:lorddax Cockatrice:lorddax

Self Medicated
Tire Aficionado

Postby Self Medicated » Thu May 30, 2013 8:39 pm

Nevermind. Don't care anymore.
Last edited by Self Medicated on Thu May 30, 2013 8:52 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Khaospawn

Postby Khaospawn » Thu May 30, 2013 8:40 pm

Normal is overrated.
Amen to that.

Normality are the shackles in which complacence and ennui fester. Unyoke yourself from societal expectation! Grow and thrive in the unique manner defined only by yourself. Life should be an wild adventure, not a normal destination.
You just defined my whole
outlook on life right there, bro.

Personally, my whole philosophy has been to do what you like as long as you don't force your will upon anybody else. I also thrive on the chaos that life has to offer.

There's no such thing as normal. Everything is energy. Every sentient being as a right to exist and believe what they want and nobody has the right to say otherwise.
Last edited by Khaospawn on Thu May 30, 2013 8:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.

rcwraspy
Tire Aficionado

Postby rcwraspy » Thu May 30, 2013 8:42 pm

Mommy, daddy, please don't fight. I promise I'll be better.
Thanks to NerdBoyWonder for the amazing sig!
Son, I want you to know that no matter what happens between your mother and me, it's all your fault.

Self Medicated
Tire Aficionado

Postby Self Medicated » Thu May 30, 2013 8:43 pm

This made me laugh. :D

Khaospawn

Postby Khaospawn » Thu May 30, 2013 8:43 pm

Suddenly reminded of the bridge to Down with the Sickness....

Return to “Fires of Salvation”