[Primer] PyroRed

Threads from Standard formats since passed.

Moderators: Kaitscralt, zemanjaski, Christen

windstrider
Knight in Sour Armor
(View: POSTS_VIEWTOPIC /POSTS_VIEWTOPIC_INTO)

Postby windstrider » Sun Oct 27, 2013 3:22 pm

@downunder — That's some impressive stuff. Good job!

I'm thinking of dropping the Skullcracks for either two Flames of the Firebrand or the other two Mizzium Mortars. Flames lets me nuke little guys and go to the face, while Mortars kills most everything relevant. I'm leaning towards Mortars.
Searing Seneschal of Salvation

Cogito, ergo incendo.

sig by NBW

LaZerBurn
Tire Aficionado

Postby LaZerBurn » Sun Oct 27, 2013 4:54 pm

I'm thinking of dropping the Skullcracks for either two Flames of the Firebrand or the other two Mizzium Mortars. Flames lets me nuke little guys and go to the face, while Mortars kills most everything relevant. I'm leaning towards Mortars.
I like the Skullcracks against Control and Mono B but if you are seeing more Aggro/Mid range then the change makes sense. I vote for Mortars :)

I'm currently running the anti-MODO variant with BTE and FFS (I call it AIP) and I've been putting in 2 AoT for 2 Shocks in the 'mirror' as well as the 4 Mortars, 2 Wierds and 2 Flames for the 1 drops. So far it's been working really well and in the 2 games I've seen them
they've won me the match. You can catch up any tempo lost from only running 2 Shocks with Emily and FotF and make up for the lack of your own Reckoner by nicking theirs:) AoT is really strong with Chandra and/or FFS online. Last game I won by Jeting all over his Emily, nicking his Reckoner and Fisting his Golem :D
Thanks to NerdBoyWonder for the awesome sig :)

Draksil
Newcomer

Postby Draksil » Sun Oct 27, 2013 6:56 pm

I don't really like FotF atm, it almost always seems to be a 1-1, unless you're playing against a lot of aggro at your local meta. I'd definitely go for Mortars if you want to make the change

windstrider
Knight in Sour Armor

Postby windstrider » Sun Oct 27, 2013 7:12 pm

Another idea is to go 3 Mortars and 3 Boros Charm since the Charm is also good against control variants. The drawback is that neither one recurs* Mortars does not recur the Phoenix, which is shaping up to be the best creature in the deck.

* as helpfully pointed out by Platypus
Last edited by windstrider on Sun Oct 27, 2013 7:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Cogito, ergo incendo.

sig by NBW

Draksil
Newcomer

Postby Draksil » Sun Oct 27, 2013 7:20 pm

With 12 spells mb to recur Phoenix and 2x Chandra, I already feel that Phoenix is the very best.

Platypus
Tire Aficionado

Postby Platypus » Sun Oct 27, 2013 7:26 pm

Another idea is to go 3 Mortars and 3 Boros Charm since the Charm is also good against control variants. The drawback is that neither one recurs the Phoenix, which is shaping up to be the best creature in the deck.
Ummm... Boros Charm can actually recur the Phoenix...
Sig by NBW

windstrider
Knight in Sour Armor

Postby windstrider » Sun Oct 27, 2013 7:28 pm

Blergh. Yes, yes it can.

I blame it on late night. ;)

Edit: And the fact that I've never used the damage mode on it, so it slipped my mind.

Cogito, ergo incendo.

sig by NBW

rcwraspy
Tire Aficionado

Postby rcwraspy » Sun Oct 27, 2013 8:16 pm

* Thank you to whoever suggested killing a Cackler in response to Azorius Charm. That helped me win a match by drawing into Phoenix. The opponent, Mark, was surprised that I did that.
I posted about doing that - it may have been in a different thread, as I did it while running a Devo Red list.

It's definitely an odd play, and some thought goes into it. But the thought process started with "if I were to scry right now and see Cackler on top, would I leave it or put it on bottom?"

In my situation I answered "bottom" so then had to think through whether it was a positive enough use of Shock:
1. Do I have more burn in hand?
2. Is opponent in burn range?
3. Does opponent have burn-able creature?
4. Is there a Phoenix
in the yard?

I'm sure there are more questions to ask to satisfy whether to do it, but I decided it was worth it in my case and it really paid off.
Thanks to NerdBoyWonder for the amazing sig!
Son, I want you to know that no matter what happens between your mother and me, it's all your fault.

Helios
Tire Aficionado

Postby Helios » Sun Oct 27, 2013 8:20 pm

Primer update incoming this evening.

You can also hold back scrylands til 2nd main when your opponent looks like their going to charm an attacker.

Thanks, MDU. Good work.

Re: Chandra vs. Aggro decks: I think this depends on the deck you're facing. Against red, Chandra just absolutely takes over the game, and I'd actively want to see her in multiples. She functions in a similar way to Jace in control- your opponent has to commit resources to killing her, or she will take over the game. Against blue, she doesn't seem as high-impact, though I haven't played that matchup enough to know (I rarely have time to playtest these days outside of FNM/Satuday Magic, so I just keep hoping to get paired against a blue deck). Thoughts?

Z: Good call, I may add in a second Assemble. -3 Peak Eruption, +1 Assemble the Legion, + 2 Mortars? I have to win my way into the 4th Chandra, traded it to Suga for Sacred Foundries.

Agree
with Draksil on FotF, unless you know you can get 2-for-1s, Mortars has a higher potential for generating CA.

zemanjaski
Tire Aficionado

Postby zemanjaski » Sun Oct 27, 2013 9:19 pm

I don't really like FotF atm, it almost always seems to be a 1-1, unless you're playing against a lot of aggro at your local meta. I'd definitely go for Mortars if you want to make the change
It's only in the deck for Mono R / Mono U so I'm not sure what the issue is? Both decks give you heaps of opportunity for value.
1 - Drunk, surly zem
2 - Nice, modest zem
3 - Bragpost zem
4 - Confident and funny zem
5 - Condescending jerk zem
6 - Self-aware zem
Everyone's a winner, we're making our fame,
Bona fide hustler making my name

InflatablePie

Postby InflatablePie » Sun Oct 27, 2013 9:30 pm

Anyone have good sideboard suggestions to improve the Junk matchup? I only run into one Junk player weekly but I want to actually win that matchup for once. :s Anything that works for other matchups as well are encouraged.

Current SB:
4 Reckoner
3 Mortars
2 Chained
2 Charm
2 'crack
2 Hammer

I was thinking going down to one Hammer since everyone else seems to like just one (or zero). Also, I haven't been drawing Hammer in my few control games lately and still win easily, so there's that. Maybe cut a Hammer for a 4th Mortars? It doesn't hit Reapers/Obzedat though... maybe cut a Hammer and a Mortars (or two Hammer) for two Burning Earth? They do have access to enchantment destruction though (as does Dega and Jund, two less common decks that can be a problem)...

Related, to anyone who's only running two Mortars side: is two fine or do you ever wish you had room for a 3rd/4th?
If you don't know how to lie, then how do you know if you're being lied to?

The answer? Use a gun. And if that don't work... use more gun.

zemanjaski
Tire Aficionado

Postby zemanjaski » Sun Oct 27, 2013 9:37 pm

My Boros knowledge is a little antiquated at this point, but regarding Mortars, I only liked two because I already have 4 Chained and I didn't want to delete my win-cons too much; at some point you need to actually kill them!

On the Hammer, a singleton was always a space issue for me, I like two.
1 - Drunk, surly zem
2 - Nice, modest zem
3 - Bragpost zem
6 - Self-aware zem

Helios
Tire Aficionado

Postby Helios » Sun Oct 27, 2013 9:40 pm

It's entirely possible that 2 Assemble is perfectly fine over Hammer, and arguably even better.
Last edited by Helios on Sun Oct 27, 2013 9:44 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Jack
Tire Aficionado

Postby Jack » Sun Oct 27, 2013 9:41 pm

2 is fine. It's essentially chained 5-6. They're both very good cards, but we don't want to many spells that only hit creatures, even against aggro. When we start going to 3-4 mortars + the full 4 chained, we dilute our game plan too much.
Sig by NBW.

zemanjaski
Tire Aficionado

Postby zemanjaski » Sun Oct 27, 2013 9:41 pm

So bad against Jace :(

So good against everything else.
1 - Drunk, surly zem
2 - Nice, modest zem
3 - Bragpost zem
6 - Self-aware zem

rcwraspy
Tire Aficionado

Postby rcwraspy » Sun Oct 27, 2013 9:42 pm

You can also hold back scrylands til 2nd main when your opponent looks like their going to charm an attacker.
Definitely, and if you're able to do that then absolutely save the Shock.

I was running a list whose mana base was 21 Mountain and 2 Mutavault, and no Magma Jet, so 0 scry effects.
Son, I want you to know that no matter what happens between your mother and me, it's all your fault.

Helios
Tire Aficionado

Postby Helios » Sun Oct 27, 2013 9:45 pm

Am I crazy for not playing Boros Charm in my sideboard? I was seeing enough America / Dega that Peak Eruption felt better.

Current SB, from earlier:
3 Skullcrack
3 Peak Eruption
2 Chained to the Rocks
1 Assemble the Legion
2 Mizzium Mortars
4 Boros Reckoner

Our meta is slowly shifting to Blue / Black / Control, so I picked up the BTEs & Strikers in anticipation. Just have to decide when to pull the trigger.

zemanjaski
Tire Aficionado

Postby zemanjaski » Sun Oct 27, 2013 9:50 pm

I like Boros Charm but a competent player can already beat Verdict without it. If your meta gives you the luxury of playing it, then obviously do so though, the power level is SO high.
1 - Drunk, surly zem
2 - Nice, modest zem
3 - Bragpost zem
6 - Self-aware zem

InflatablePie

Postby InflatablePie » Sun Oct 27, 2013 9:55 pm

I like Boros Charm, if only because it allows you to counter a Verdict. It's also fun to have one in-hand with a 'crack when they're at 7 or less, if they try to Sphinx out of burn range.

I might try an Assemble if I can get my hands on one (I know one of my two LGS are sold out of them).

[preview-edit] Also what Z said. I can play around Verdicts for Game 1, but it is nice having for Game 2 regardless. Especially in UW matchups, where you want to pressure them without dropping multiples of creatures because D-Sphere.
If you don't know how to lie, then how do you know if you're being lied to?

The answer? Use a gun. And if that don't work... use more gun.

Helios
Tire Aficionado

Postby Helios » Sun Oct 27, 2013 10:16 pm

Verdict hasn't been my problem card in those matchups, so I may keep rolling without it and use the slots to shore up the devotion matches.

Draksil
Newcomer

Postby Draksil » Sun Oct 27, 2013 10:22 pm

@Zemanjaski, versus Red aggro FotF is good, why I said I'd only pick it if he's seeing a decent amount of aggro. I personally haven't had that much sucess playing it against Mono Blue, I'd actually rather have mortars there. Not counting MoW tokens, they have 8 1-toughness creatures. However, cloudfin will often be evolved, and if not then it's not really a threat. Judge's familiar is a target, but you need to have 4 mana up at sorcery speed then. As for the MoW tokens, I'd rather have a chance at overloading mortars. This is only my opinion though - could be wrong :)

magicdownunder
Tire Aficionado

Postby magicdownunder » Sun Oct 27, 2013 10:23 pm

Verdict hasn't been my problem card in those matchups, so I may keep rolling without it and use the slots to shore up the devotion matches.
From my experience with Modern burn I learned to highly value four damage 2cc spells, I notice that you suggested burning over-top against MonoBlack Devotion before so you could use it for that (surely 4 damage is better then shock for that MU).

That said I do agree that Esper isn't really a problem MU for us, I have been thinking about adding more FotF or Mortars since I believe Colossus Gruul and MonoBlue Devotion to be our hardest MUs.

Enjoy Pauper, Standard, Momir, Modern and Music? then visit my channel: Video Link

zemanjaski
Tire Aficionado

Postby zemanjaski » Sun Oct 27, 2013 10:29 pm

^ I agree and yeah, I'm big on Flames in both of those. Flames turn 3 for their elf + voyaging Satyr or snagging a Tidebinder + Familiar is such a blowout. That it's another way to kill Spectre in a pinch is lovely.
1 - Drunk, surly zem
2 - Nice, modest zem
3 - Bragpost zem
6 - Self-aware zem

magicdownunder
Tire Aficionado

Postby magicdownunder » Sun Oct 27, 2013 10:30 pm

I can't understand the love for Assemble the Legion its only good against MonoBlack Devotion, GW and Mirrors and If your running Z's list the first and the latter MUs are already good while GW is now almost non-existence in the meta.

Against Esper or MonoBlue Devotion they get Jace or/and Thassa online and proceed to laugh at the card while Colossal Gruul just tramples over you with Nylea.

Enjoy Pauper, Standard, Momir, Modern and Music? then visit my channel: Video Link

zemanjaski
Tire Aficionado

Postby zemanjaski » Sun Oct 27, 2013 10:35 pm

It's definitely a meta thing; I wouldn't run it online either. Speaking of online, with Mono R and GW on the decline, ill be revisiting my list when I can start playing again next week - expect a lot more content (new comp as well!).

MDU ~ interested in some Skype strategy talk on the archetype?
1 - Drunk, surly zem
2 - Nice, modest zem
3 - Bragpost zem
6 - Self-aware zem

Helios
Tire Aficionado

Postby Helios » Sun Oct 27, 2013 10:55 pm

Can't wait, Z! Grats on the new computer as well, can't wait for more streams.

MDU: Assemble is good against mono black, that being the point of me playing it. My shop's meta is fairly diverse, but there's enough black that I'd like a dedicated card against it. Junk midrange is a thing here as well, and Assemble just laughs at them. I know better than to side it in against Jace decks ;)

magicdownunder
Tire Aficionado

Postby magicdownunder » Sun Oct 27, 2013 11:03 pm

Can't wait, Z! Grats on the new computer as well, can't wait for more streams.

MDU: Assemble is good against mono black, that being the point of me playing it. My shop's meta is fairly diverse, but there's enough black that I'd like a dedicated card against it. Junk midrange is a thing here as well, and Assemble just laughs at them. I know better than to side it in against Jace decks ;)
Fair enough, I see Mono Black quite a bit as well which is reflected on my replays and reports its just I tend to do a small fist pump whenever I see the T1 Swamp, Temple of Deceit or [card:
1nsw6hfo]Temple of Silence[/card]
It's definitely a meta thing; I wouldn't run it online either. Speaking of online, with Mono R and GW on the decline, ill be revisiting my list when I can start playing again next week - expect a lot more content (new comp as well!).

MDU ~ interested in some Skype strategy talk on the archetype?
Skype is blocked from the office so I'll prefer if we either chat here, MTGS or on MODO

zemanjaski
Tire Aficionado

Postby zemanjaski » Sun Oct 27, 2013 11:11 pm

Cool. I'm trying to get guest spots once I'm back up streaming, so we'll figure something out.

I also smile when I see MBC, such a good matchup. I'm glad that Mono U numbers are stabalizing and that Esper has a slight uptick in popularity as well ~ these are all good things for us on MODO.
1 - Drunk, surly zem
2 - Nice, modest zem
3 - Bragpost zem
6 - Self-aware zem

FullofGravy
Newcomer

Postby FullofGravy » Sun Oct 27, 2013 11:38 pm

Just acquired all the new cards I need. feels good to be aggro again.

There are so many Jaces running around I don't really feel comfortable spending slots on Assemble. I wish I could though.

But yeah everyone defecting to mono black is pretty awesome :)

if enough people modify their deck choices seems pretty awesome though.

Lightning_Dolt
Tire Aficionado

Postby Lightning_Dolt » Mon Oct 28, 2013 2:08 am

Where can I find Magic DownUnder's videos?

zemanjaski
Tire Aficionado

Postby zemanjaski » Mon Oct 28, 2013 2:10 am

In any of the multiple posts where he has linked them.

Alternatively, his YouTube account is "MrMagicDownUnder"
1 - Drunk, surly zem
2 - Nice, modest zem
3 - Bragpost zem
6 - Self-aware zem

ibejaemes
Newcomer

Postby ibejaemes » Mon Oct 28, 2013 2:13 am

http://www.youtube.com/user/MrMagicdown ... g-high-ctv

Also, thanks to everyone in DTR! Especially Zem and MDU. Awesome info that I've been soaking up and the videos have been above and beyond helpful for this little 'ol newbie C:

I hope you both will be able to stream in the near future!
Last edited by ibejaemes on Mon Oct 28, 2013 2:16 am, edited 1 time in total.

RaidaTheBlade
Tire Aficionado

Postby RaidaTheBlade » Mon Oct 28, 2013 2:14 am

Any chance I can get some feedback/critique on my deck idea?

[deck]
Creatures:
4 Rakdos Cackler
4 Firedrinker Satyr
4 Ash Zealot
4 Young Pyromancer
4 Boros Reckoner
4 Chandra's Phoenix

Burn:
4 Magma Jet
4 Lightning Strike
4 Shock

Thighs:
2 Chandra, Pyromaster

Land:
21 Mountain
1 Mutavault
[/deck]
I, for one, would like to welcome our new firebreathing narwhal overlords.

zemanjaski
Tire Aficionado

Postby zemanjaski » Mon Oct 28, 2013 2:16 am

If Reckoner is good in your meta, it's fine. There's not much else to say.
1 - Drunk, surly zem
2 - Nice, modest zem
3 - Bragpost zem
6 - Self-aware zem

RaidaTheBlade
Tire Aficionado

Postby RaidaTheBlade » Mon Oct 28, 2013 2:19 am

Just dunno if there's too many advantages here over a devotion build e.e
I, for one, would like to welcome our new firebreathing narwhal overlords.

F.I.A

Postby F.I.A » Mon Oct 28, 2013 2:23 am

I missed the bus to join the DE by a few minutes (Dang program bugged out at the last 2 minutes. Restarting it took me 3 minutes), so I decided to go with a gauntlet instead on 2-mans. Here's the result within two days:
Devo Black - 73% winrate (15 battles)
Devo Red - 100% winrate (2 battles)
Devo Blue - 25% winrate (4 battles)
Devo Green - 20% winrate (5 battles)
Esper Control - 83% winrate (6 battles)
AIR - 100% winrate (2 battles)
WG - 50% winrate (2 battles)
UW Control - 75% winrate (4 battles)
Rogue - 66% winrate (6 battles)
Of course, most losses consist of keeping a risky 1-land keep (I got tempted with 3 Emmys blowouts). Then again, most win against some decks are with them playing tap lands for two turns, then Read the Bones.

Anyway, a few words on some cards...

Burning-Tree Emissary - I really like how she
is performing in place of Ashley. She can really bring a party by turn 2 to wreck both control and mono-black. Nut-draw of 3 Emmys into Firefist Strike happened and won me games.

Firefist Strike - While he is flimsy, he has been doing great, Along with Emmy, Mutavault or Phoenix, he helps the team to get over that roadblock.

Magma Jet - What's more to say about it? There is never a game where I loathe having it in my hand. Chaining Emmy into it to assure I draw a land next for Phoenix is great, and more gravy if I manage to hit something with it.

Skullcrack - It has cracked a little too many shady merchant's skull. Also helped to deny a demon's heal during combat.

Rakdos Cackler - The bane of Mono-black and Esper. You can just have two of them clawing at the opponent with Ultimate Price and [card]Doom
Blade[/card], sitting on his hand.

Firedrinker Satyr - Proved to be a force by producing that extra damage to kill off Jace. Usually the first to die on duty.

Act of Treason - I've switched back to this one from Traitorous Instinct. While it doesn't have the "+2/+0" bonus, being cheaper is better with how mana-hungry this deck is.

[card]Hero's Downfall[/card] - Usually those cacklers will die a hero death thanks to these. Might want to make them waste those so your Chandra can land down safely.

Ashiok, Nightmare Weaver - Not a card against us. I usually manage to swarm it by the time it lands, so it's pretty much an Elixir of Immortality.

Jace, Architect of Thoughts - Get rid of him if your opponent's life is not at one digit. You don't want him to -2 early on to
get the card(s) he wants.

Polukranos, Word Eater - Urgh, if there's anything notable when I lose to a green deck, it's with him standing on the side of the table. Unlike a Deadbridge Goliath, he can pose a threat by 2-1 us killing a Pyro along with another creature like the striker.

Arbor Titan - Usually partner-in-crime with the hydra, having one around blocks your air offense with Phoenix.

Gray Merchant of Asphodel - He can easily turn from a winning game to unwinnable, so remember to give him a cracked skull.
Last edited by F.I.A on Mon Oct 28, 2013 3:17 am, edited 1 time in total.

magicdownunder
Tire Aficionado

Postby magicdownunder » Mon Oct 28, 2013 2:35 am

I would recommend reading the post with the videos - I think you'll find it more useful then just the videos themselves.

[deck]
Creatures:
4 Rakdos Cackler
4 Firedrinker Satyr
4 Ash Zealot
4 Young Pyromancer
4 Boros Reckoner
4 Chandra's Phoenix

Burn:
4 Magma Jet
4 Lightning Strike
4 Shock

Thighs:
2 Chandra, Pyromaster

Land:
21 Mountain
1 Mutavault
[/deck]
You should include your SB and Meta, G1 is usually a free win while G2
and G3 is where deck building and planning matters.

I personally think with your list you should be running Fanatic of Mogis since your going for the slower Boros Reckoner approach anyways.

rcwraspy
Tire Aficionado

Postby rcwraspy » Mon Oct 28, 2013 2:52 am

[deck]
Creatures:
4 Rakdos Cackler
4 Firedrinker Satyr
4 Ash Zealot
4 Young Pyromancer
4 Boros Reckoner
4 Chandra's Phoenix

Burn:
4 Magma Jet
4 Lightning Strike
4 Shock

Thighs:
2 Chandra, Pyromaster

Land:
21 Mountain
1 Mutavault
[/deck]
what thought process birthed the list? At first glance it looks like it's trying to be 2 different things at once. While we've found that 12 instants/sorceries can be acceptable for YP$, it still feels like you're trying to combine a couple things here. I've found that's generally a bad idea - pick a strategy/archetype and build from there, rather than trying to jam 2 things into a single 75.

F.I.A

Postby F.I.A » Mon Oct 28, 2013 3:10 am

[deck]
Creatures:
4 Rakdos Cackler
4 Firedrinker Satyr
4 Ash Zealot
4 Young Pyromancer
4 Boros Reckoner
4 Chandra's Phoenix

Burn:
4 Magma Jet
4 Lightning Strike
4 Shock

Thighs:
2 Chandra, Pyromaster

Land:
21 Mountain
1 Mutavault
[/deck]
Considering you're not running Fanatic of Mogis, you don't need to have those Boros Reckoner mained unless your meta is filled with aggro. And it's a good idea to tell us your sideboard choices.

zemanjaski
Tire Aficionado

Postby zemanjaski » Mon Oct 28, 2013 3:14 am

Thanks for the data FIA!
- what's "devo devo"?
- were you on Mono R or Boros?
- notes on Mono U or Mono G? So we can help :)
1 - Drunk, surly zem
2 - Nice, modest zem
3 - Bragpost zem
6 - Self-aware zem

Return to “Archives”