[Fedoras of Salvation] - White Knights ITT

Moderator: redthirst

rcwraspy
Tire Aficionado
(View: POSTS_VIEWTOPIC /POSTS_VIEWTOPIC_INTO)

Postby rcwraspy » Thu Nov 07, 2013 3:31 pm

I've honestly never understood the hatred for France and all things French in the US. The public school system in the town I grew up in offered French and Spanish "immersion" classes. My parents chose French for me. So I was in French class since kindergarten. In kindergarten we were allowed to speak English, but we learned basic French vocabulary. Starting in 1st grade we weren't allowed to speak English at school. I learned the normal math, science, history, etc. curriculum everybody else did but it was all in French. Then we had a dedicated French class where we learned French history, geography, etc.

It's been more than 10 years since I graduated college and I haven't had any use for French since then, so I'd no longer consider myself fluent. But I could probably pick it back up fairly quickly.

I've been to France and Paris a couple of times. Nobody has ever been rude to me. The first time
I went was a school trip in High School, at the height of my fluency. I started chatting with one of the guards in Versailles and she asked me where in France I was from because she couldn't quite place the accent (just like USA, different French regions have different accents, even though the country as a whole is roughly the size of Texas).

A couple of years ago my wife and I went to Paris for our first anniversary. I had lost a lot of the language skills but could still understand almost everything. I tried to speak with just about everybody, and everybody was super polite. Some people helped and urged me to continue, some people responded in English (politely), but nobody was rude.

I think the "rude" thing comes from Americans who are themselves rude first. We can be a very boisterous lot, and I'm sure that doesn't come across very well when we visit other cultures.
Thanks to NerdBoyWonder for the amazing sig!
Son, I want you to know that no matter what happens between your mother and me, it's all your fault.

photodyer
Tire Aficionado

Postby photodyer » Thu Nov 07, 2013 3:34 pm

I just hate Windows 8. I'd own an Apple product for the first time since the 80's simply to get away from Windows 8.
Haven't you learned by now to avoid every other Windows release like the plague? They always follow a good, stable tweakable mod with something that is supposed to be more "dumb user friendly", but which actually ends up in the form of bloated garbage that hides control of functionality so that users can't hurt themselves.

XP - great, stable build
Vista - Bloated garbage that was months ahead of the hardware needed to run it worth a damn.
Win 7 - Stable and much more streamlined
Win 8 - guess what? Trash time again!
Righteous sig by NBW

Skaldic Master of Fiery Salvation

Common Sense is now a Mythic Rare.

DroppinSuga
Tire Aficionado

Postby DroppinSuga » Thu Nov 07, 2013 3:35 pm

I'm talking about French Canadians.

LP, of the Fires
Tire Aficionado

Postby LP, of the Fires » Thu Nov 07, 2013 3:39 pm

I actually don't hate the French, or anything really. Other then Paris. Fuck Paris. I actually fucking hated Paris.
You gotta understand, I love the beatdown. I really do. I always have.

Beatdown is hard, though.

Patrick chapin

DroppinSuga
Tire Aficionado

Postby DroppinSuga » Thu Nov 07, 2013 3:40 pm

I don't hate anyone actually. Except Kaze. I fucking hate that guy.

rcwraspy
Tire Aficionado

Postby rcwraspy » Thu Nov 07, 2013 3:52 pm

I actually don't hate the French, or anything really. Other then Paris. Fuck Paris. I actually fucking hated Paris.
I think you mentioned something about race earlier in relation to Paris - did I catch that correctly? Parisians have this anti-immigrant thing going on right now, and there are a lot of folks coming into the city and country from northern Africa - like Algeria (which was a French colony and still has members in French parliament). There's a lot of underlying racism going on (in a lot of European countries, actually), so I'm not surprised at all to hear that, sadly.
Son, I want you to know that no matter what happens between your mother and me, it's all your fault.

RedNihilist
Tire Aficionado

Postby RedNihilist » Thu Nov 07, 2013 4:09 pm

I just hate Windows 8. I'd own an Apple product for the first time since the 80's simply to get away from Windows 8.
Haven't you learned by now to avoid every other Windows release like the plague? They always follow a good, stable tweakable mod with something that is supposed to be more "dumb user friendly", but which actually ends up in the form of bloated garbage that hides control of functionality so that users can't hurt themselves.

XP - great, stable build
Vista - Bloated garbage that was months ahead of the hardware needed to run it worth a damn.
Win 7 - Stable
and much more streamlined
Win 8 - guess what? Trash time again!
Mind to talk a bit of Windows Millennium Bug Edition?

hamfactorial
Tire Aficionado

Postby hamfactorial » Thu Nov 07, 2013 4:19 pm

ham casually walks in, mumbles incoherently about Linux, walks out

rcwraspy
Tire Aficionado

Postby rcwraspy » Thu Nov 07, 2013 4:33 pm

I know folks say no decks in this thread (even the title of the thread says it) but Super Prince hasn't been around much lately. This is a Pyro build, but I don't want to corrupt the Pyro thread with it since I have no idea what level of viability it has, if it even has any at all.

But this is a red/black Pyro list that I'd love to tweak and make better. Chandra, Tymaret, YP$, Phoenix, and all that burn have so much synergy, with Exava and Stormbreath rounding it out for hasty and evasive beats. At first I had 2x Godless Shrine in there for the 9th and 10th black source that can tap for Reckoner from the side, but I think the Temples are better to give you extra scry since red/black doesn't have Temples yet.

Any thoughts? Is it a pile? Does it get the "those are certainly standard legal magic cards" treatment?

[deck]
Creatures (16)
4x Young Pyromancer
2x Tymaret, the Murder King
4x Chandra's
Phoenix
3x Exava, Rakdos Blood Witch
3x Stormbreath Dragon

Instants (12)
4x Lightning Strike
4x Magma Jet
4x Shock

Sorceries (6)
4x Dreadbore
2x Mizzium Mortars

Planeswalker (2)
2x Chandra, Pyromaster

Land (24)
4x Blood Crypt
12x Mountain
2x Mutavault
4x Rakdos Guildgate
2x Temple of Silence

Sideboard (15)
2x Act of Treason
4x Boros Reckoner
2x Dark Betrayal
2x Ultimate Price
2x Flames of the Firebrand
3x Peak Eruption
[/deck]

DerWille

Postby DerWille » Thu Nov 07, 2013 4:41 pm

My gut reaction is that Mizzium Mortars should probably be some other spell. Why bother with 4 damage when you can just kill something? I don't know if they should be doom blade or a red burn spell that can go to the dome.

Kazekirimaru
Tire Aficionado

Postby Kazekirimaru » Thu Nov 07, 2013 4:41 pm

ham casually walks in, mumbles incoherently about Linux, walks out
Ubuntu and penguins and stuff.

rcwraspy
Tire Aficionado

Postby rcwraspy » Thu Nov 07, 2013 4:45 pm

My gut reaction is that Mizzium Mortars should probably be some other spell. Why bother with 4 damage when you can just kill something? I don't know if they should be doom blade or a red burn spell that can go to the dome.
Yeah it can sometimes be feel-bad if you flip something with Chandra that can only kill creatures and there are no creatures to kill. 4x Dreadbore and 2x Mortars makes that 6 total (though Dreadbore and planeswalkers, obviously).

I suppose I could experiment with Rakdos's Return in that slot, but will need to find room for 2-3 Mortars in the side. Or maybe that can be Flames of the Firebrand and that and Mortars just switch between main and side.

EDIT: Hell, I might
even like:
MB: -2 Mortars, +1 Flames of the Firebrand, +1 Chandra (for 3 total)
SB: -2 Flames of the Firebrand, +2 Mortars
Last edited by rcwraspy on Thu Nov 07, 2013 4:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.

DerWille

Postby DerWille » Thu Nov 07, 2013 4:48 pm

Perhaps a question to ask is, "What creature do I hope to kill with Mizzium Mortars that I can't with spell X?"

The only one that comes to mind is Blood Baron of Vizkopa, but I usually just 2 for 1 myself on him with shock/magma jet/lightning strike. He's usually just a 1 or 2 of in decks. Maybe that Gray Merchant guy too?

rcwraspy
Tire Aficionado

Postby rcwraspy » Thu Nov 07, 2013 4:51 pm

Perhaps a question to ask is, "What creature do I hope to kill with Mizzium Mortars that I can't with spell X?"

The only one that comes to mind is Blood Baron of Vizkopa, but I usually just 2 for 1 myself on him with shock/magma jet/lightning strike. He's usually just a 1 or 2 of in decks. Maybe that Gray Merchant guy too?
The initial thought behind 2x Mortars main was that I'd see them mid-late game and be able to hit a Blood Baron or potentially overload it against aggro and/or Master of Waves.

On 24 land with 4 Magma Jets, 2 Temples, and 2-3 Chandra, I should likely be hitting my land drops pretty frequently. Unless I don't want to after T5 :)

redthirst
Tire Aficionado

Postby redthirst » Thu Nov 07, 2013 4:54 pm

Yeah it can sometimes be feel-bad if you flip something with Chandra that can only kill creatures and there are no creatures to kill. 4x Dreadbore and 2x Mortars makes that 6 total (though Dreadbore and planeswalkers, obviously).
Something to keep in mind is that the more answers you run, the worse Chandra is.
Originally posted by Dechs Kaison on MTGS
redthirst is redthirst, fifth Horseman of the Apocalypse. He was the leader of the Fires of Salvation, the only clan I'm aware of to get modded off the forums so hard they made their own forums.

Degenerate? Sure. Loudmouth? You bet. Law abiding? No ****ing way.

Great guy to have around? Hell yes.
I love the D...

DerWille

Postby DerWille » Thu Nov 07, 2013 4:54 pm

I keep forgetting about its overload. Against Master of Waves, I'd rather just use black removal instead of worrying about the overload.

Yeah, that's legit against aggro. It's saved my ass a few times.

rcwraspy
Tire Aficionado

Postby rcwraspy » Thu Nov 07, 2013 4:59 pm

Something to keep in mind is that the more answers you run, the worse Chandra is.
Absolutely. That's why I'm not comfortable jamming any more than 6 spells that don't have targets on an empty battlefield. Even that may be pushing it a bit. I like the idea of -2 Mortars, +1 Chandra, +1 Flames main and -2 Flames, +2 Mortars side. That
would leave me with just the 4x Dreadbore main that are dead on an empty field.

Alex
Not Even MAD

Postby Alex » Thu Nov 07, 2013 5:13 pm

So I haven't played anything other than Villager Magic in about a month now. I can't say that I miss Standard very much, 1-block Standard always blows (except for Scars/Innistrad, which ruled.) and Theros has proven to be a repeat of history. Maybe I'll get back in once the block is finished, but right now...yeah, no thanks.

As far as my hiatus is concerned, I stopped posting here as much because I took on a job working at Joystiq doing some editing and writing. Having to play MMOs again has taken a lot of my attention away from Magic, especially considering that I basically HAD to get back into WoW/FFXIV/RIFT. Ain't nobody got time for all that.

However, I am always interested in doing some color commentary with people on their streams. I'd like to think that my appearances on Zeman/Ham's streams were excellent examples of what I bring to the table, especially with Ham since it was literally ALL color commentary
and almost zero analytical analysis. I would love to get on audio with you guys again in the future. If that's something you're into, get at me on Facebook. (Or find someone who can.)

redthirst
Tire Aficionado

Postby redthirst » Thu Nov 07, 2013 5:18 pm

I am also willing to say inane shit on your streams that you will be forced to later edit out.
redthirst is redthirst, fifth Horseman of the Apocalypse. He was the leader of the Fires of Salvation, the only clan I'm aware of to get modded off the forums so hard they made their own forums.

I love the D...

hamfactorial
Tire Aficionado

Postby hamfactorial » Thu Nov 07, 2013 5:24 pm

I, for one, would like to welcome our new great card analyst overlords on my stream anytime. Usually on weekends, since having a 9-5 and a high demand redhead at home makes time scarce :)

Alex
Not Even MAD

Postby Alex » Thu Nov 07, 2013 5:26 pm

You edited out my inane shit!? Nooooooooo!
EDITED.
-rt

redthirst
Tire Aficionado

Postby redthirst » Thu Nov 07, 2013 5:27 pm

Just give her the D while streaming. Problem solved.

Two can play that game! -Galspanic

I love the D...

Alex
Not Even MAD

Postby Alex » Thu Nov 07, 2013 5:28 pm

Oh that entire video is gone. You don't love me, Matt? :(

hamfactorial
Tire Aficionado

Postby hamfactorial » Thu Nov 07, 2013 5:31 pm

What, it's gone? WTF, I enabled the "automatically archive" option on Twitch.

Alex
Not Even MAD

Postby Alex » Thu Nov 07, 2013 5:33 pm

It was there a while back, but now it's gone. I guess it only archived it for a month 'cause it's not there now.

THAT WAS SOME CLASSIC STUFF TOO. WE DISCOVERED TRUEFIRE PALADIN. Goddamn Twitch.

redthirst
Tire Aficionado

Postby redthirst » Thu Nov 07, 2013 5:35 pm

Someone call the Watchdogs! TH! Admin corruption!

I love the D...

hamfactorial
Tire Aficionado

Postby hamfactorial » Thu Nov 07, 2013 5:35 pm

I hate Twitch, I've lost half of my streams so far. The only ones that seem to stick around are the ones where I scrub out and 0-2 drop.

I just noticed that they added a disclaimer "Enabling this feature does not save your archives forever." THEN WHY THE FUCK IS IT AN OPTION?
Last edited by hamfactorial on Thu Nov 07, 2013 5:38 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Alex
Not Even MAD

Postby Alex » Thu Nov 07, 2013 5:36 pm

I let Galspanic sink his tendrils into my admin panel. He's got a hold of me. Cheeto-fingers dug deep.

Kazekirimaru
Tire Aficionado

Postby Kazekirimaru » Thu Nov 07, 2013 5:37 pm

You must be silenced.

Alex
Not Even MAD

Postby Alex » Thu Nov 07, 2013 5:37 pm

I hate Twitch, I've lost half of my streams so far. The only ones that seem to stick around are the ones where I 0-2 drop.
Just download OBS and record them locally while you stream. I've had to do that for Joystiq since we also upload streams to Youtube. It really lags my computer, but my computer is also made out of sticks and stones so that's not surprising.

I think you can do the same thing with xsplit but I think you have to have xsplit gold for that. OBS lets you do it for free.

redthirst
Tire Aficionado

Postby redthirst » Thu Nov 07, 2013 5:38 pm

I let Galspanic sink his tendrils into my admin panel. He's got a hold of me. Cheeto-fingers dug deep.

I love the D...

hamfactorial
Tire Aficionado

Postby hamfactorial » Thu Nov 07, 2013 5:41 pm

I hate Twitch, I've lost half of my streams so far. The only ones that seem to stick around are the ones where I 0-2 drop.
Just download OBS and record them locally while you stream. I've had to do that for Joystiq since we also upload streams to Youtube. It really lags my computer, but my computer is also made out of sticks and stones so that's not surprising.

I think you can do the same thing with xsplit but I think you have to have xsplit gold for that. OBS lets you do it for free.
I'm using OBS right now, but I enjoy having a live stream where people can chat.
Can OBS stream and archive the broadcast for later upload?

Alex
Not Even MAD

Postby Alex » Thu Nov 07, 2013 5:42 pm

Also, would a format-rotating monthly Cockatrice tournament be something you guys would be interested in doing? There's some talk about running some events in the admin forum, and I think that's something we should really think about running. I'd be willing to go out of my way to run it at the helm if anyone else is down.

I know Koopa runs one on MTGS, but I can't think of anything I'd want to do less than play Magic with your typical MTGS user. I could straight up steal the formatting for it from there, though. That being said, what would your opinions be on how to deal with decklists? Publicly viewable or no? If we're keeping them hidden I can keep track of the Deck ID numbers, so that's not an issue, but I know that I like how decklists are handled in top8 of most tournaments and think that could be interesting to extend to the rest of the event.

Alex
Not Even MAD

Postby Alex » Thu Nov 07, 2013 5:43 pm

I think you can do the same thing with xsplit but I think you
have to have xsplit gold for that. OBS lets you do it for free.
I'm using OBS right now, but I enjoy having a live stream where people can chat. Can OBS stream and archive the broadcast for later upload?
Yeah dude, you can do both of those things at the same time. I'd show you how, but I had to have someone in my playtest group set it up for me because I'm a great card analyst. :shrug:

hamfactorial
Tire Aficionado

Postby hamfactorial » Thu Nov 07, 2013 5:45 pm

[quote="[url=viewtopic.php?p=136732#p136732:3jzqv3k6]Alex » Thu Nov 07, 2013 9:43 am[/url:3jzqv3k6]":3jzqv3k6][quote="[url=viewtopic.php?p=136728#p136728:3jzqv3k6]hamfactorial » Thu Nov 07, 2013 11:41 am[/url:3jzqv3k6]":3jzqv3k6][quote="[url=viewtopic.php?p=136724#p136724:3jzqv3k6]Alex » Thu Nov 07, 2013 9:37 am[/url:3jzqv3k6]":3jzqv3k6][quote="[url=viewtopic.php?p=136721#p136721:3jzqv3k6]hamfactorial » Thu Nov 07, 2013 11:35 am[/url:3jzqv3k6]":3jzqv3k6]I hate Twitch, I've lost half of my streams so far. The only ones that seem to stick around are the ones where I 0-2 drop.[/quote:3jzqv3k6]
Just download OBS and record them locally while you stream. I've had to do that for Joystiq since we also upload streams to Youtube. It really lags
my computer, but my computer is also made out of sticks and stones so that's not surprising.

I think you can do the same thing with xsplit but I think you have to have xsplit gold for that. OBS lets you do it for free.[/quote:3jzqv3k6]
I'm using OBS right now, but I enjoy having a live stream where people can chat. Can OBS stream and archive the broadcast for later upload?[/quote:3jzqv3k6]
Yeah dude, you can do both of those things at the same time. I'd show you how, but I had to have someone in my playtest group set it up for me because I'm a great card analyst. :shrug:[/quote:3jzqv3k6]
Slick, I just saw a checkbox in the Broadcast Settings panel for "Save to File". It looks like I can have a Twitch stream and save the output for YouTube. Sweeeeet!

Alex and Redthirst are both invited for color commentary over Skype. Anyone else want in?

RaidaTheBlade
Tire Aficionado

Postby RaidaTheBlade » Thu Nov 07, 2013 5:50 pm

I'd enjoy it, but A you don't know me very well, and B I'm still noobish, unlike them :P

It'd proly just work out better for me to watch and chat :P just let me know whenever you stream, cause I keep seeming to miss it e.e
I, for one, would like to welcome our new firebreathing narwhal overlords.

hamfactorial
Tire Aficionado

Postby hamfactorial » Thu Nov 07, 2013 5:51 pm

If you go to my stream page and follow me, you'll get an email when I start a stream. I try to start the stream a half hour before the actual event.

Alex
Not Even MAD

Postby Alex » Thu Nov 07, 2013 5:53 pm

Lets try and do one on Saturday afternoon, I've got nothing going on all weekend. Thinking I'll probably get really hammered and play WoW, I'm sure I can make fun of your play errors while I do that.

photodyer
Tire Aficionado

Postby photodyer » Thu Nov 07, 2013 5:53 pm

I know folks say no decks in this thread (even the title of the thread says it) but Super Prince hasn't been around much lately. This is a Pyro build, but I don't want to corrupt the Pyro thread with it since I have no idea what level of viability it has, if it even has any at all.

But this is a red/black Pyro list that I'd love to tweak and make better. Chandra, Tymaret, YP$, Phoenix, and all that burn have so much synergy, with Exava and Stormbreath rounding it out for hasty and evasive beats. At first I had 2x Godless Shrine in there for the 9th and 10th black source that can tap for Reckoner from the side, but I think the Temples are better to give you extra scry since red/black doesn't have Temples yet.

Any thoughts? Is it a pile? Does it get the &
quot;those are certainly standard legal magic cards" treatment?

[deck]
Creatures (16)
4x Young Pyromancer
2x Tymaret, the Murder King
4x Chandra's Phoenix
3x Exava, Rakdos Blood Witch
3x Stormbreath Dragon

Instants (12)
4x Lightning Strike
4x Magma Jet
4x Shock

Sorceries (6)
4x Dreadbore
2x Mizzium Mortars

Planeswalker (2)
2x Chandra, Pyromaster

Land (24)
4x Blood Crypt
12x Mountain
2x Mutavault
4x Rakdos Guildgate
2x Temple of Silence

Sideboard (15)
2x Act of Treason
4x Boros Reckoner
2x Dark Betrayal
2x Ultimate Price
2x Flames of the Firebrand
3x Peak Eruption
[/deck]
With the low creature count, Hammer seems synergistic with the plan as it's another card that can enable Da King as well as put a threat on the field when you aren't drawing into any.
Righteous sig by NBW

Skaldic Master of Fiery Salvation

Common Sense is now a Mythic Rare.

Alex
Not Even MAD

Postby Alex » Thu Nov 07, 2013 5:54 pm

Why is Tymaret still a bulk rare? That dude is actually nuts.

Return to “Fires of Salvation”