Primer: R/w/x Aggro

Threads from Standard formats since passed.

Moderators: Kaitscralt, zemanjaski, Christen

poppa_f
(View: POSTS_VIEWTOPIC /POSTS_VIEWTOPIC_INTO)

Postby poppa_f » Thu Jan 16, 2014 11:52 pm

MDU- I'm playing in a paper tournament on Sunday. I was planning on playing the pyroskies deck, as I've had pretty solid results with it on MODO (averaging about 66% win rate). I saw you're playing Big Boros now. Is that deck performing better for you? I'm in two minds now whether to play PyroSkies or go bigger.

Lightning_Dolt
Tire Aficionado

Postby Lightning_Dolt » Fri Jan 17, 2014 12:36 am

To better handle suit my plastyle against monoB, I am (considering) cutting one Charm and adding one Assemble to SB. I actually already did that, just not really sure if I stick to it. They both go in against monoB, but Charm I dont't find as useful as the Assemble, which frankly terrifies monoB players (and for good reason) - and since we board out dragons, I do feel a little bit sad without a good chance to see a nice 5mana finisher.

Also is it just me, or do we have a unfavorable matchup (emphasis on the draw) against Red All In? I know that these decks currently go for only about few % of online meta, but boy, do I miss me Anger. It's winnable for sure, just a bit harder than it was. That could be my bias since
my november build was kinda tuned against then rampaging aggro decks.

As for the new set I am not relly terrified about the sweeper, since I doubt they will run 4 copies of it MB. Sure, it gets harder, but we will adapt, as we always do. At least there will be more incentive to at least try RB with all the haste these colors offer.
If they MB Drown, they can't play pack rats (the best card in their deck) before T4. Relax.

Purp
Tire Aficionado

Postby Purp » Fri Jan 17, 2014 5:27 am

Solid night again at TNM, losing to UW. I misplayed hard and should of killed his 2nd elspeth when I ultimate chandra.. of course i revealed MJ and not LS! Feeling confident for PTQ this weekend. I'll post SB strats tomorrow for everyone to look at.

yurp yurp

Lightning_Dolt
Tire Aficionado

Postby Lightning_Dolt » Fri Jan 17, 2014 6:17 am

Hope you have better luck than I did. Get 'er done.

Lightning_Dolt
Tire Aficionado

Postby Lightning_Dolt » Fri Jan 17, 2014 2:56 pm

2-1 at FNM

Played vs Bant Flash (2-0), W/u Humans (esper aggro, minus black for what I can only assumes are budget issues 2-1) and Junk Reanimator (1-2). Video coverage of the finals should be availible tomorrow (I'll post here).

Game 1, I squeaked out. I mis-scry'd in game 2 and it cost me the match. Game 3 I just drew poorly.

I am really annoyed with myself, but hey, I'm not perfect. I'll try to post some notes on my thought processes or w/e to explain my misplays. I forgot that the goddamn whip gave lifelink at one point, which is super embarrassing. Rough day at work and it shows I'm afraid. His deck is weird too, which doesn't help.

Anyway, good luck with your fnms.

poppa_f

Postby poppa_f » Fri Jan 17, 2014 3:01 pm

What is the esper aggro deck that people keep mentioning, does anyone have a sample decklist anywhere? (I've never come across it in the wild)

Lightning_Dolt
Tire Aficionado

Postby Lightning_Dolt » Fri Jan 17, 2014 3:07 pm

Second place at GP Shizuoka.

poppa_f

Postby poppa_f » Fri Jan 17, 2014 3:34 pm

Bloody hell, it's like a greatest hits of cards I don't like playing against! Ghost Daddy, whip, supreme verdict, imposing sovereign, desecration demon, detention sphere.

I've not seen anyone at my LSG play it, sods law I run in to it on Sunday though

poppa_f

Postby poppa_f » Fri Jan 17, 2014 3:45 pm

on a related note, "Fated Conflagration" is going to be pretty sweet tech for dealing with Ghost Daddy once Born of the Gods starts (1RRR instant that deals 5 creature damage and scrys 2. Blows up Elspeth and Jace too)

LaZerBurn
Tire Aficionado

Postby LaZerBurn » Fri Jan 17, 2014 4:21 pm

Pedros just suggested Blind Obedience for the Esper Mid as it stops Ghost Dad. I quite like this idea, thoughts anyone?
Thanks to NerdBoyWonder for the awesome sig :)

poppa_f

Postby poppa_f » Fri Jan 17, 2014 4:40 pm

You still have the problem of a 4pt life swing every turn, but does stop him from attacking if he's blinked, so that's something. I've noticed flash decks are starting to become more popular on MODO, so added bonus that it helps screw those guys up as well. Could be relevant for some race matchups as well like R/x devotion.

Overall I'm not 100% convinced though, as I'm so pushed for sideboard space already.

Purp
Tire Aficionado

Postby Purp » Fri Jan 17, 2014 4:48 pm

Pedros just suggested Blind Obedience for the Esper Mid as it stops Ghost Dad. I quite like this idea, thoughts anyone?
What's the cut though? Seems to help verse all decks in theory

yurp yurp

LaZerBurn
Tire Aficionado

Postby LaZerBurn » Fri Jan 17, 2014 5:21 pm

I was going to say Glare but on reflection I don't think it's as good :( it's too narrow and can be DSphere'd so while it might shut down GD it's not certain, if only Glare was an instant! I'm trying to avoid speculating on the post rot meta until everything is spoiled but I'm thinking Fated Conflagration right now :)

Poppa is right about the life swing too, even if it stops him attacking I don't think it warrants a slot on that alone, even though it does work in other match ups too.

Thoughts on whether PyroDragons has a better match than Big Boros against Esper Mid? I'm thinking it does in which case it might be a better choice given the current MTGO meta.

nEDIT - Just went 3-1 in the DE, will post vids later :)

Purp
Tire Aficionado

Postby Purp » Fri Jan 17, 2014 6:03 pm

Does anyone have some good advice for the UW control matchup? I think it is my worst matchup as far as piloting goes. I seem to always run myself into a Syncopate/Last Breath.

@LZ what did you beat/lose to? nice job!

yurp yurp

LaZerBurn
Tire Aficionado

Postby LaZerBurn » Fri Jan 17, 2014 6:20 pm

Thanks Purp :) I beat R/G, MonoU and Esper (rage quit in G2) and lost to Esper Mid variant with Ashiok and Alms Beast. This won the DE.

UW is fairly straight forward - try to get in early beats while avoiding over-extending and playing around counters and removal - thought I guess you already do this :) You can always try to bait out their removal (I'll attack with my Vaults over casting spells sometimes, especially if I have plenty of land) but again I expect you already do this too :) Sometimes they do just have all the answers and if this happens a few games in a row it's easy to start thinking that the match is always going to go this way. From the other side of the table they
are worried too remember - when they tap out for Verdict they are hoping you don't have SBD in hand! :)

Purp
Tire Aficionado

Postby Purp » Fri Jan 17, 2014 6:27 pm

Thanks LZ, can't wait for vids! Post them soon so I can watch at work haha.

yurp yurp

Purp
Tire Aficionado

Postby Purp » Fri Jan 17, 2014 7:55 pm

[deck]Lands 25
11 Mountain
2 Boros Guildgate
4 Mutavault
4 Sacred Foundry
4 Temple of Triumph

Creatures 18
2 Firedrinker Satyr
4 Rakdos Cackler
4 Chandra's Phoenix
4 Ash Zealot
4 StormBreath Dragon

Enchantments 03
3 Chained to the Rocks

Instants 10
4 Lightning Strike
4 Magma Jet
2 Warleader's Helix

Sorcery 02
2 Mizzium Mortars

Planeswalkers 02
2 Chandra, Pyromaster

Sideboard 15
1 Chained to the Rocks
1 Assemble the Legion
2 Glare of Heresy
2 Mizzium Mortars
3 Boros Reckoner
2 Skullcrack
2 Boros Charm
2 Last Breath[/deck]

SB Strat: Bolded things I could use help with

Mono Red(including AiR):
-6 1 drops, -?(anything else?)
+2 Mortar, +3 Reckoner, +1 Chain +LB?

GW:
-6 1 drops, -2 Chandra
+2 Mortar, +2 Glare, +3 Reckoner, +1 Chain

WW:
-6 1 drops, -? what
else

+2 Mortars, +3 Reckoner, +1 Chain, +2 Glare, +2 LB?

Mono U:
-6 1 drops
+2 Mortars, +1 Chain, +2 LB ,+?

Mono B:
-4 SBD, -2 Guildgate
+1 Chain, +1 Assemble, +2 Skullcrack, +2 Boros Charm? +X Mizzium? --- Mortars on the draw, Charms on the play?

Esper Control:
-3 Chain, -? (MJ? Helix?)
+2 Skullcrack, +2 Boros Charm, +2 Glare?

R/x Devo:
-6 1 drops, -Chandra?
+3 Reckoner, +2 Mortar, +1 Chain, +2 Glare? +2 LB?

GR Monsters:
-6 1 drops
+2 Mortar, +3 Reckoner, +1 Chain +Charm?

yurp yurp

Wipe Out
Newcomer

Postby Wipe Out » Fri Jan 17, 2014 8:19 pm

Went 3-1 at 18 person ThursNM, losing last round 2-1 against UW control. I took a hiatus over the holidays and played a midweek NM last week that went terribly. Used MDU’s latest list. It’s not a Johnny Spike or MDU caliber report but it helps me think about my games a little more. I have had a little more trouble w/ UW lately. Jace + Azorius charm really slow the game down. Lots of UW players at LGS running Quicken for Verdicts after we tap out for SBD and whatnot.

Decklist:

[deck] MDU's latest Big Boros
Land
4 Temple of Triumph
4 Sacred Foundry
4 Mutavault
2 Boros Guildgate
11 Mountain

Creatures
4 Rakdos Cackler
2 Firedrinker Satyr
4 Ash Zealot
4 Chandra's Phoenix
4 Stormbreath Dragon

Spells
4 Magma Jet
4 Lightning Strike
2 Mizzium Mortars
2 Warleader's Helix
3 Chained to the Rocks

Planeswalkers
2 Chandra, Pyromaster

Sideboard
1 Assemble the Legion
Glare of Heresy
2 Skullcrack
3 Boros Reckoner
1 Chained to the Rocks
2 Mizzium Mortars
2 Last Breath
2 Boros Charm
[/deck]
Round reports: G/r Monsters, Naya Midrange, Maze's End, UW Control

R1: G/r Monsters with Jacob
G1: Caryatid couldn’t stop early beats and phoenixes, SBD to go over the top.
G2: Mulled to 6, should have mulled again, hand too slow. He went mystic->carayatid->Xenagos (dropping satyr) -> Domri -> BTE BTE -> Garruk. Long, grindy game, couldn’t get there and had a hard time choosing when to focus on Walkers or his life.
G3: Like G1, pretty fast.
SB: -4 Cackler, -2 FDS, +1 CttR, +2 Mortars, 3 Boros Reckoner
1-0

R2: Naya Midrange with Oscar
G1: Hard to tell at first what he was playing, he was missing his white sources. He mentioned that and that he couldn’t get his fatties out. Curved out.
G2: Had a couple Reckoners in hand to clog the ground and went over the top with phoenix until SBD and some burn sealed
it.
SB: -4 Cackler, -2 FDS , +1 CttR, +2 Mortars, +3 Reckoner (considered glare of heresy but didn’t know whether to take out AZ or what)
2-0

R3: Maze’s End with Dean (good LGS pilot, regular FNM winner)
G1: After the 2nd guildgate came down I groaned. Got him down to 3 with me tapped out, next turn drops that +7 life creature and fogs me enough I can’t get through.
G2: Quick, early beats and a skullcrack in hand, 5 min game.
G3: More of the same, I hate Maze’s End, wish I could SC them all day long.
SB: -3 CttR, -1 Mortars, +2 Skullcrack, +2 Boros Charm
3-0

Final round for the pot of the night
R4: UW control by Zach (FNM regular), I lost die roll
G1: Slow, grindy. Kept an okay hand after mulling to 6 but he had the land and the answers he needed. Chained into a Rev and that’s all she wrote.
G2: Curve out, get him down but between a Rev and an early Elixir he gets back up to 12. Drop a Chandra, manage to tick her up to 7 (as he goes down to 9), ultimate
with a skullcrack, tasty.
G3: Painful, long. My fault, I should not have kept my hand but thought I could get there. Something like: Mutavault, Mutavault, Mountain, Magma Jet, Warleader’s Helix, Skullcrack, Chandra. My brain told me “no!” but I thought I could do early Muta beats and Jet to get the needed land and threats. Almost got there but Azorius Charm on my Mutas really slowed me down. Game went LONG, he couldn’t draw a Rev, I couldn’t draw a threat that could stick and the game ended with me having 11 land, ugh. He got a Blind Obedience down and that combined with last breaths really made my Phoenixes unable to finish the game. Could not draw Glare for the life of me. Lifegain from Obedience kept him afloat when I went into topdecking mode. Worst game I have had against UW in a long time, I chalk it up to poor mulligan decision.
SB: -2 Mortars, -3 Cttr, -1 Magma Jet, +2 Skullcrack, +2 Boros Charm, +2 Glare of Heresy (deal with D-spheres primarily, Elspeth possibly)
3-1[/spoiler:
1r959q1l]

What do people think the toughest match ups right now are for us? Unsure what to do with Naya Midrange (sometimes I feel I can still get past them because they're slow with their mana) and while I do okay against it, U/G Flash or Primespeaker Bant (I tend to just go removal heavy on these). I am very tempted to jump to Dos Rakis but I think I'll save that for after BotG is out for a little bit.
(edit: formatting)
Last edited by Wipe Out on Fri Jan 17, 2014 11:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.

LaZerBurn
Tire Aficionado

Postby LaZerBurn » Fri Jan 17, 2014 8:43 pm

Went 3-1 in today's DE here's the vids :) Variance was on my side today as I don't think I played well to be honest so feedback is most welcome! :)
The List
[deck=MDU's Boros Aggro]Lands 25
11 Mountain
2 Boros Guildgate
4 Mutavault
4 Sacred Foundry
4 Temple of Triumph

Creatures 18
2 Firedrinker Satyr
4 Rakdos Cackler
4 Chandra's Phoenix
4 Ash Zealot
4 StormBreath Dragon

Enchantments 03
3 Chained to the Rocks

Instants 10
2 Warleader's Helix
4 Lightning Strike
4 Magma Jet

Sorcery 02
2 Mizzium Mortars

Planeswalkers 02
2 Chandra, Pyromaster

Sideboard 15
1 Chained to the Rocks
2 Assemble the Legion
2 Glare of Heresy
2 Mizzium Mortars
Boros Reckoner
2 Skullcrack
1 Boros Charm
2 Last Breath[/deck]
DE6622156 R1 G1 MDU's Boros Aggro vs Esper Mid variant
DE6622156 R1 G2 MDU's Boros Aggro vs Esper Mid variant
DE6622156 R1 G3 MDU's Boros Aggro vs Esper Mid variant

DE6622156 R2 G1 MDU's Boros Aggro vs Mono U Devo
DE6622156 R2 G2 MDU's Boros Aggro vs Mono U Devo

DE6622156 R3 G1 MDU's Boros Aggro vs G/R/W Monsters
DE6622156 R3 G2 MDU's Boros Aggro vs G/R/W Monsters
DE6622156 R3 G3 MDU's Boros Aggro vs G/
R/W Monsters

DE6622156 R4 G1MDU's Boros Aggro vs Esper
DE6622156 R4 G2 MDU's Boros Aggro vs Esper

LaZerBurn
Tire Aficionado

Postby LaZerBurn » Fri Jan 17, 2014 8:58 pm

@ Wipeout - nice report :) The toughest match up depends on your meta - on MTGO it's Esper Mid.

@ Purp - this is what I'd do.

Rx - LB is a decent strategy as SBD makes up the life pretty quick, take out Chandra, especially if they aren't running many 1 drops.

WW - I'd run Glare over Chandra, especially if they are running Spear.

MonoU -bring in the Charm, 4 to the dome or indestructible creatures in a stand off is better than a 1 drop.

MonoB - run 3 Mortars on the draw, take out 1 Jet

Esper -3 Chain -1 Jet +2 Skullcrack +2 Boros Charm. I don't bring in Glare. if I did I'd drop 2 more Jets

GR Monsters - 1 Charm in

Purp
Tire Aficionado

Postby Purp » Fri Jan 17, 2014 9:01 pm

Noticed you cut a Charm for an Assemble, how has that been for you? Watching that Esper MIdrange makes me want Wear haha

yurp yurp

Purp
Tire Aficionado

Postby Purp » Sat Jan 18, 2014 12:19 am

Some thoughts I had during my testing.. Cut a SBD for 4th Chain MD, Opening up SB slot for wear? Cut a SBD for a 3rd Satyr?

yurp yurp

Lightning_Dolt
Tire Aficionado

Postby Lightning_Dolt » Sat Jan 18, 2014 1:37 am

@ Wipeout - nice report :) The toughest match up depends on your meta - on MTGO it's Esper Mid.

Rx - LB is a decent strategy as SBD makes up the life pretty quick, take out Chandra, especially if they aren't running many 1 drops.

MonoU -bring in the Charm, 4 to the dome or indestructible creatures in a stand off is better than a 1 drop.

Esper -3 Chain -1 Jet +2 Skullcrack +2 Boros Charm. I don't bring in Glare. if I did I'd drop 2 more Jets

GR Monsters - 1 Charm in
Great videos. Everyone
please, like, comment, subscribe. Help a redbro out.

Lightning_Dolt
Tire Aficionado

Postby Lightning_Dolt » Sat Jan 18, 2014 2:31 am

Disclaimer: This is not me at my finest. I had a bad day at work and am feeling pretty terrible. This is also the finals. Please forgive the multitude of play mistakes.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yR7kQ6tLMnU

Ok, so I'm obviously on the right.

@ 0:55
I thought about just attacking with the satyr, but I decided to advance the board instead. I think this was the correct choice.

@ 1:25
I get blow out by Advent. I was unfamiliar with his deck and wasn't sure if he was running it. I took the chance, and it bit me. Ouch.

@2:00
I scry and see a Chain on top.

@4:00
Golgari Charm keeps him alive.

@4:42
Topdeck Chandra FTW.

@6:38
I expected Advent at EoT so I played Reckoner and hoped he didn't have hard removal.

@6:50
He did. :(

@7:55
I Glare the Voice since the
stupid Wurm Token is Green, instead of GW like it should be.

@8:14
Abrupt Decay ruins my day.

@8:55
Life is low enough I need to block.

@9:25
Scry, Chained on top, still in this thing.

@9:39
WLH the Voice token.

@ 10:00
Trostani!?

@10:40
Dragon knocks him down to 12.

@10:50
Whip :( He goes to 14, I go to 3. At this point, I need to leave up two blockers since he has creatures in the GY.

@13:05
I attack with Phoenix rather than Dragon because I don't want him gaining life if he attacks me with Trostani / Voice / whatever else was in the Yard. In hindsight, this was a mistake.

@13:41
Merciless Eviction! Nooooo!

@15:57
Magma Jet to recur phoenix. This is the final mistake that costs me the match. When I scry, I seem Magma Jet and dragon. I stack it Dragon on top, Magma Jet second from top. I didn't expect my attack to connect (at which point burn is lethal) and I though Dragon was
a better follow up. That was just the wrong decision. He didn't have removal and my attacks connect.

@16:32
Shadowborn demon :(

@17:10
I have a brain fart and forget all his creatures have lifelink. I think I'm attacking for lethal, I'm really just throwing away the game.

Rest of the video
Me tilting lol.

For some reason, G3 didn't get posted. I drew horribly and he had the nuts.

I wish this was a video of me winning, but sadly it shows my flaws. Hope this was useful.
Last edited by Lightning_Dolt on Sat Jan 18, 2014 7:00 am, edited 1 time in total.

LaZerBurn
Tire Aficionado

Postby LaZerBurn » Sat Jan 18, 2014 2:53 am

Esper -3 Chain -1
Jet +2 Skullcrack +2 Boros Charm. I don't bring in Glare. if I did I'd drop 2 more Jets

GR Monsters - 1 Charm in
Great videos. Everyone please, like, comment, subscribe. Help a redbro out.
Thanks J_S :)

LaZerBurn
Tire Aficionado

Postby LaZerBurn » Sat Jan 18, 2014 3:10 am

@J_S - Thanks for posting the vid :) Yes, it's helpful, I love watching each other play regardless of the result. I really admire that you are so open about your strengths and weaknesses as a player :) And on the bright side you made the final and only lost to a mistake that you saw and won't make again, hopefully :)

P.S. Typically janky Japanese built deck you have to there too! :)

WagnerSeth
One Post Wonder

Postby WagnerSeth » Sat Jan 18, 2014 5:26 am

Hey guys, new here. Just finished 4-1 for 3rd at a 33 person FNM with this list. Really liking the addition of WLH. I want to try to find a spot for 1 more main, since my meta is pretty aggro heavy. Thinking about dropping another Satyr. I'm also wondering if the right move for my LGS would be to just pre-sideboard into a more control oriented build, and leave the one-drops in the board for Mono-B and friends.

Only loss of the night was against the other 4-0 Mono U player, its a tough matchup.

Thanks for all the tips in this thread everyone!

[Deck]
Lands 25
11 Mountain
2 Boros Guildgate
4 Mutavault
4 Sacred Foundry
4 Temple of Triumph

Creatures 18
2 Firedrinker Satyr
4 Rakdos Cackler
4 Chandra's Phoenix
4 Ash Zealot
4 Stormbreath Dragon

Spells 17
3 Chained to the Rocks
4 Lightning Strike
4 Magma Jet
2 Mizzium Mortars
2 Warleader's Helix
2 Chandra, Pyromaster

Sideboard 15
1 Chained to the
Rocks
2 Assemble the Legion
2 Mizzium Mortars
3 Boros Reckoner
2 Last Breath
3 Skullcrack
2 Firedrinker Satyr
[/Deck]

Lightning_Dolt
Tire Aficionado

Postby Lightning_Dolt » Sat Jan 18, 2014 6:50 am

Good result, and welcome. :)

magicdownunder
Tire Aficionado

Postby magicdownunder » Sat Jan 18, 2014 7:16 am

I've been MIA for awhile, seems like Esper Aggro has really picked up pace again....

Thoughts on: Renounce the Guilds over glare? It hits Dsphere and Ghost Dad, assuming Cartel Aristocrat and Lyev Skyknight stay dead. Celestial Flare or Explosive Impact seem cute as well.

Placing an emphasis on burn g1 works as well (Shocks or Annihilating Fire MD) this happens to improve a string of other MUs as well so its not bad.

I'm not sure if I can make the Champs (or if I already missed it) but I'll try and revise the list or be creative with the SB which may or may not help you guys out.

Enjoy Pauper, Standard, Momir, Modern and Music? then visit my channel: Video Link

vundo
Newcomer

Postby vundo » Sat Jan 18, 2014 8:19 am

in 9 hours buddy

vundo
Newcomer

Postby vundo » Sat Jan 18, 2014 8:32 am

I don't have a wealth of knowledge on the matter of esper aggro but I haven't lost to it yet with pyrodragons and boros aggro. Celestial flare and explosive impact are probably uncastable. Renounce the guilds seems alright but I've been able to push through it every time and I'm not sure how good RtG is against other matchups. I much rather prefer Glare of Heresy and wear//tear for esper aggro and just glare in general. I've been very impressed with glare since just hitting dsphere is really strong.

LaZerBurn
Tire Aficionado

Postby LaZerBurn » Sat Jan 18, 2014 9:35 am

Thinking on MDU's burn comments and considering the current MTGO meta what are everyone's thoughts on PyroDragons Vs Boros Aggro - Pyro is better against Esper Aggro, at least as good against MonoB, MonoU and UW which is 65% of the meta.

Working from MDU's latest Aggro list and my latest Pyro list you'd lose 2 Dragons, 2 Helix and 2 land MD for 3 YP and 3 Shock/Fire/FotF or 2YP and 4 burn spells. In the SB you lose Boros Charm, which I'm always a bit underwhelmed by anyway, for the 3rd SBD and the extra Mountain to cast it or you could keep 1 Charm and lose Assemble Vs MonoB as you have YP and his token army, hopefully :)

Maybe that's too extreme a shift and the MD Helix in Boros Aggro could be switched for Shock or
Fire to improve the Esper match up - lower CMC helps us in the early game - as the longer the clock ticks in this match up the worse our chances are?

EDIT I'm not a fan of Renounce (not targeted, easy to work around once they know you have it) or Celestial Flare (hard to cast, not targeted) over Glare (more flexible, targeted) but I like Explosive Impact! 5 damage! :D The CMC might prove prohibitive but it's never a dead draw and it's a very nice TD late game :) Due to my relative newbie status I'd never even seen the card before so I just grabbed 4 from a freebot :)

EDIT I forgot to mention that Pedros suggested running a copy of Chandra's Outrage in the SB, possibly over the 4th Mortars - kills BB at instant speed, great synergy with Phoenix. I quite like
the idea. Thoughts anyone?

@ MDU - welcome back! Your post has inspired me and I'm looking at lots of new options with fresh invigorated eyes now! :)
Last edited by LaZerBurn on Sat Jan 18, 2014 10:24 am, edited 1 time in total.

magicdownunder
Tire Aficionado

Postby magicdownunder » Sat Jan 18, 2014 10:20 am

Pyrodragon gives you an edge vs Bx and Esper Aggro of they don't hit shrivel, though you pay for this advantage with a weaker UW, Ux Devotion, Rx Devo, Gx Devo, GW MU.

Both list are capable of beating all the above, I think it really just comes down to preference - whenever I play Boros Aggro I miss not having Shock MD while with PyroDragon I tend to miss not hitting Dragons and the smooth(er) land drops.

Enjoy Pauper, Standard, Momir, Modern and Music? then visit my channel: Video Link

LaZerBurn
Tire Aficionado

Postby LaZerBurn » Sat Jan 18, 2014 10:27 am

Well thought out as always :) I'm not sure I agree that Ux Devo is a worse match up for PyroDragon though, the MD Shocks are really good here.

dauntless268

Postby dauntless268 » Sat Jan 18, 2014 12:59 pm

if Esper Aggro is a thing (which I'm still not sure about), wouldn't it be logical to exchange an assemble for a Skullcrack or Boros Charm SB? Burn isn't exactly terrible against MonoB and Assemble is not useful against Esper Aggro.
MTGO handle: Clemens268

poppa_f

Postby poppa_f » Sat Jan 18, 2014 1:28 pm

I'm switching from pyroskies to big boros for the LGS win a box tournament tomorrow. I'll miss YP$, but I think Big Boros is better positioned for the local meta (R/x devotion, G/x devotion, GW).

One tweak I'm considering is adding a 3rd Chandra either main or SB. With 25 lands I should be able to cast her consistently on turn 4 and with that many lands I like the idea of having more card draw. Interested to hear people's thoughts on this.

MDU- any chance you could post your SB plan for the current 75? Thanks

magicdownunder
Tire Aficionado

Postby magicdownunder » Sat Jan 18, 2014 1:51 pm

I'm switching from pyroskies to big boros for the LGS win a box tournament tomorrow. I'll miss YP$, but I think Big Boros is better positioned for the local meta (R/x devotion, G/x devotion, GW).

One tweak I'm considering is adding a 3rd Chandra either main or SB. With 25 lands I should be able to cast her consistently on turn 4 and with that many lands I like the idea of having more card draw. Interested to hear people's thoughts on this.

MDU- any chance you could post your SB plan for the current 75? Thanks
I never really wrote down my SB plans for the Boros Aggro list because I keep changing it all the time :p I'll suggesting watching my recent videos
and copying down the SB plan which I use (it will give me extra money when you watch them so that helps).

I don't think you want the 3rd Chandra if your meta is infested with R/x devotion, G/x devotion and GW since I'll just board her out, anyhow the only MU which I havn't record live from your top3 is GW so here is what I'll do against GW:

In:
1 Chained to the Rocks
2 Glare of Heresy
2 Mizzium Mortars
3 Boros Reckoner

Out:
2 Firedrinker Satyr
2 Chandra, Pyromaster or 2 Magma Jet
4 Rakdos Cackler

GW is a resource war, you don't need to force damage so don't kill everything in sight it doesn't even matter if they deal 19 damage because they have no burns so what matters in this MU is your ability to plan your removals very carefully.

Valdarith
Tire Aficionado

Postby Valdarith » Sat Jan 18, 2014 2:30 pm

Went 5-0-1 at FNM losing only one game the entire night with this:

[deck]
Creatures (19)
4 Firedrinker Satyr
4 Rakdos Cackler
4 Ash Zealot
4 Chandra's Phoenix
3 Skynight Legionnaire

Spells (18)
3 Chained to the Rocks
4 Magma Jet
4 Lightning Strike
4 Boros Charm
3 Chandra, Pyromaster

Lands (23)
3 Mutavault
4 Sacred Foundry
4 Temple of Triumph
2 Boros Guildgate
10 Mountain

Sideboard (15)
1 Chained to the Rocks
1 Glare of Heresy
2 Last Breath
4 Mizzium Mortars
4 Skullcrack
2 Peak Eruption
1 Assemble the Legion
[/deck]

Beat mono black, mono black, GW, mono red, and mono red after drawing into top 8. Assemble won me game two against GW as I banked on him not having enchantment removal after not seeing my Chains game one. The rest of the matches were rather straightforward. I just blitzed mono black and controlled mono red.

I have no idea why I stopped playing three Chandra and went down to
two, but I don't think I'll do that again. I was happy to see her every game.
Check out my stream! http://www.twitch.tv/valdarith

Lightning_Dolt
Tire Aficionado

Postby Lightning_Dolt » Sat Jan 18, 2014 4:22 pm

Good luck everyone who is playing in the MODO Championships tomorrow.

Pedros
Tire Aficionado

Postby Pedros » Sat Jan 18, 2014 4:31 pm

Today not tomorrow. It starts in 30 min.
Sig by NerdBoyWonder

Return to “Archives”