Primer: R/w/x Aggro

Threads from Standard formats since passed.

Moderators: Kaitscralt, zemanjaski, Christen

poppa_f
(View: POSTS_VIEWTOPIC /POSTS_VIEWTOPIC_INTO)

Postby poppa_f » Sat Jan 18, 2014 4:39 pm

I don't think you want the 3rd Chandra if your meta is infested with R/x devotion, G/x devotion and GW since I'll just board her out
Which match ups are you boarding her out in? In the PyroSkies version I leave her in for every match-up, even R/x; G/x and GW, in those match-ups I'm playing control post-board, so I want to land a Chandra in order to not run out of gas, which I'd have thought would be an even bigger problem with a 25 land deck.

I'm not saying you're wrong to board her out (you've played this deck 1000x more than me, so I'm sure you'd know best!), just curious to hear your reasoning for the match ups where you do side her out
Last edited by poppa_f on Sat Jan 18, 2014 5:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Valdarith
Tire Aficionado

Postby Valdarith » Sat Jan 18, 2014 5:03 pm

I've found the same thing, poppa. I board into a control deck game two against GW and I feel like three Chandra are mandatory. I was so glad I went back to three last night. She's a total bomb.
Check out my stream! http://www.twitch.tv/valdarith

Jedi_Knight

Postby Jedi_Knight » Sat Jan 18, 2014 11:52 pm

Ok, fought for TOP 8 of the Theros Championship in the last round - and it ended the same way it began, with a defeat from GW. Kept bad hands, but hey, after drinking the whole night and sleeping for about 5 hours with a serious case of hangover, this is much better than I was hoping for. Got (or rather will get, after TOP 8 ends) 15 packs, which is cool.

As for the matches - I remember losing to GW twice (first round and last round), beating monoU by a miracle (had to mull to 4 and opponnent was drawing only lands, so I won), saw some pretty big mistakes from my opponents (using Hero's Downfall on Pheonix while Chandra was in play, attacking with MoW into ready Mutavault, Esper Control player taking third !!! Jace from Jace's -2 instead of Blood Baron when he was at 6). Had a very close game with Exper Midrange, where I just prayed that he won't play whip (cause I saw what the combo with Obzedat can do in the second game)
. I may write more summary later, certainly not now.

As for the deck - Esper Midrange is doable, it's a race before she/he gets the damned ghosts online. GW is a pain in the ass, always was for me. Especially if I don't draw into my removal, then it's Reckoner or bust. It's laughable after you stabilize, but if they get through before that, oh boy... Other MUs doesn't seem so hard, Esper Control is still the cakewalk it was in November.

The deck just works. I am really looking forward to experimenting with new set and upcoming PTQ season (since we won't have PTQ here until I guess March).

magicdownunder
Tire Aficionado

Postby magicdownunder » Sun Jan 19, 2014 12:51 am

Well Done Jedi_Knight!!

I'm glad my list worked :D - I kinda fell asleep and missed the event (it started at 3AM for me)

Enjoy Pauper, Standard, Momir, Modern and Music? then visit my channel: Video Link

dauntless268

Postby dauntless268 » Sun Jan 19, 2014 1:00 am

Well done, Jedi_Knight! I ended up 6-2 as well, 22nd place. Slightly lucky as my last opponent didn't show up.

Of the 7 matches I played, the 5 wins were against 4 different kinds of Black Devotion (one BG only) and one BG Midrange Deck, the two losses were against AIR (2 perfect draws from him), and RG monsters (pretty terrible matchup, I find).

Special thanks to LaZerBurn for his invaluable help in discussing 1001 sideboard options online! :)

MDU, shame you couldn't play fell asleep. WIzards just announced Season 1+2 MOCS to be Standard, which will hopefully console you a little ;-)
MTGO handle: Clemens268

magicdownunder
Tire Aficionado

Postby magicdownunder » Sun Jan 19, 2014 1:10 am

Well done, Jedi_Knight! I ended up 6-2 as well, 22nd place. Slightly lucky as my last opponent didn't show up.

Of the 7 matches I played, the 5 wins were against 4 different kinds of Black Devotion (one BG only) and one BG Midrange Deck, the two losses were against AIR (2 perfect draws from him), and RG monsters (pretty terrible matchup, I find).

Special thanks to LaZerBurn for his invaluable help in discussing 1001 sideboard options online! :)

MDU, shame you couldn't play fell asleep. WIzards just announced Season 1+2 MOCS to be Standard, which will hopefully console you a little
Nice stuff dauntless268, losing to AIR would suck... how did you board?

Also MOCS1 already passed last month so making MOCS1 standard is pointless, though I'm very pleased about MOCS2 :D, also MOCS3 will we alt art Batterskull how ****ing awesome is that

Enjoy Pauper, Standard, Momir, Modern and Music? then visit my channel: Video Link

dauntless268

Postby dauntless268 » Sun Jan 19, 2014 1:26 am

Maybe I can't read but this sounds to me as if the whole thing will be held in March:

http://wizards.com/magic/magazine/Artic ... 3/MOCS2014

Re: AIR
Had to mull to 6 both games, G2 felt like I needed to keep relatively removal light hand, despite boarding in 3 Mizz Mortars, 2 Annihilating Fire and 3 Reckoner for something like 4 1-drops and 2 Dragons and 2 Phoenix (usually leave 2 Cackler in against decks with Foundry). Maybe should have gone to 5, but I'd love to believe it was Variance. The guy ran 4 Peak Eruption in his board, so even under better circumstances it's wouldn't have been a complete cakewalk.
MTGO handle: Clemens268

magicdownunder
Tire Aficionado

Postby magicdownunder » Sun Jan 19, 2014 1:39 am

Maybe I can't read but this sounds to me as if the whole thing will be held in March:

http://wizards.com/magic/magazine/Artic ... 3/MOCS2014

Re: AIR
Had to mull to 6 both games, G2 felt like I needed to keep relatively removal light hand, despite boarding in 3 Mizz Mortars, 2 Annihilating Fire and 3 Reckoner for something like 4 1-drops and 2 Dragons and 2 Phoenix (usually leave 2 Cackler in against decks with Foundry). Maybe should have gone to 5, but I'd love to believe it was Variance. The guy ran 4 Peak Eruption in his board,
so even under better circumstances it's wouldn't have been a complete cakewalk.
Oooooo thanks for the link, so does that mean we'll have two MOCS running each month for the next two months? So MOCS1 + MOCS3 and MOCS2 + MOCS4.

Mulling hurts vs AiR, it doesn't sound like you made any boarding mistake (I was about to recommend keeping some Cackler) so I'll put it down to variance or sequencing.

Lightning_Dolt
Tire Aficionado

Postby Lightning_Dolt » Sun Jan 19, 2014 1:51 am

Today not tomorrow. It starts in 30 min.
Time zones lol.

Purp
Tire Aficionado

Postby Purp » Sun Jan 19, 2014 2:24 am

8 round PTQ, started off 3-0 and eventually dropped at 4-2. Essentially could of stayed and play for top 16, which is 6packs... But I don't give a damn about packs so we headed out.

Beat Jund, mono b, mono b, gr monsters... Lost mono blue and gr monsters. Mono blue game went long in game 3, he was able to overload a rift which was GG. G1 my opponent ghor clan his polukronos, then bloods me. I took 18. G3 was the same except on a SBD.

Unlucky. Feeling a bit burnt out, probably taking a break until BnG.

yurp yurp

Lightning_Dolt
Tire Aficionado

Postby Lightning_Dolt » Sun Jan 19, 2014 2:32 am

8 round PTQ, started off 3-0 and eventually dropped at 4-2. Essentially could of stayed and play for top 16, which is 6packs... But I don't give a damn about packs so we headed out.

Beat Jund, mono b, mono b, gr monsters... Lost mono blue and gr monsters. Mono blue game went long in game 3, he was able to overload a rift which was GG. G1 my opponent ghor clan his polukronos, then bloods me. I took 18. G3 was the same except on a SBD.

Unlucky. Feeling a bit burnt out, probably taking a break until BnG.
I feel you bro.

magicdownunder
Tire Aficionado

Postby magicdownunder » Sun Jan 19, 2014 7:20 am

Now that the MTGO meta is pretty much confirmed with the Championships over, I decided to work on my pile which I used too 3-0 an SE

[deck=MDU's Boros Pile]Lands 25
4 Mutavault
4 Sacred Foundry
4 Temple of Triumph
2 Boros Guildgate
11 Mountain

Creatures 16
4 Rakdos Cackler
4 Ash Zealot
4 Chandra's Phoenix
4 Stormbreath Dragon

Others 19
4 Chained to the Rocks
4 Magma Jet
4 Lightning Strike
3 Warleader's Helix
3 Chandra, Pyromaster
1 Assemble the Legion

Sideboard 15
2 Glare of Heresy
2 Last Breath
2 Boros Charm
2 Flames of the Firebrand
3 Boros Reckoner
3 Mizzium Mortars
1 Assemble the Legion[/deck]
Its the furthest thing from being optimized, but the basic logic is: Bx Devotion, Esper Aggro and Ux Devotion are the top3 decks so running 4x Chained to the Rocks is now a must - though the lack of MD Mizzium Mortars is slightly disheartening,

The 1x Assemble MD is just a nod for some random
free wins vs anything. I'll keep tinkering with it for now and I'll post the videos tomorrow.

EDIT:

I tested the same list again, except I removed one -1 Flames of the Firebrand for +1x Boros Charm in the sideboard, I proceeded to go 2-1 beating Bx, Owen's Horrible Black Aggro list and losing too Rw Tokens/aggro IDK what to call it (that match went 1-2, I should have won G1 if I wasn't so defensive with my Helix) anyhow I'll tweak it again before my 3rd test (I do believe 1x FotF is correct) I think for MODO I should run 1-2 Mortar MD even though I prefer 4x chains only because SBD is so ****ing common, esp without Shocks in the deck its hard to justify not having Mortars.

Video Queue
Mon: Boros Aggro (3-0)
Tue: Boros Pile v0.1 (3-0)
Wed: Boros Pile v0.2 (2-1)

Hopefully I can get the list right before too long (current goal hitting $700+ profits before the next set)

Jedi_Knight

Postby Jedi_Knight » Sun Jan 19, 2014 2:56 pm

4-0 Daily. Was thinking of offering split before my fourth round, but I was on a smoke when it began and opponent was the usual "Hello and good luck" (seriously, is this automized? because that same message keeps appearing from too many people to be just coincidence), so I said fuck it, let's roll, who cares. Double stomped his monoB, even got enough mana to make my dragon monstrous, Helix did the job instead though.

Besides that I stomped over another monoB R2, seen RW devotion lose it's gas R1 (the lack of instants answers in that deck makes playing against it much smother than against other decks).

But boy, AiR is just crazy. Met it R3. We all know it, we all love it, but we're playing different kind of red. And without sweepers they are able to owerwhelm us. It's like GW, except smaller creatures in bigger numbers and extra reach which makes defeating it a tricky part. Lost the only game of the daily
against that guy - I just couldn't stabilize. On that matter I may be inclined to put Anger back in SB after new set hits. It works against monoU too so that's a plus. Then again these matches ARE winnable even without it so it doesn't guarantee it's inclusion in the SB - just thinking out loud.

As for the MDU's changed list above: I fully agree that some copies of Mortars are necessary. I am meeting RW devo on regular basis and without them we would either have to 2-1 the dragon or just pray they won't have it. That could just be too risky for G1 - and it can still act as a "sweeper" in those lucky moments.

Really interested where the deck creation takes you. As poppa and Valdarith said above, I too miss my third Chandra, so that makes my heart tick (I figured you guys kinda came t a conclusion that 2 is just fine during my 2 months absence). I would be careful about 3 Helixes though, 2 would be my sweet spot (especially given your point about mortars).

Now back to preparing for my
Master's "entrance test" (seriously, how d you say that in english? You know, the test that determines who makes it and goes in and who has to try the next time. Can't find the right word for it. "Admission test" maybe?).

agrevall
Newcomer

Postby agrevall » Sun Jan 19, 2014 4:13 pm

So this deck just won the Columbus SCG Open going 12-1 overall. Is it someone here? Looks not a million miles from MDU's various builds.

http://sales.starcitygames.com//deckdat ... ckID=62635

LaZerBurn
Tire Aficionado

Postby LaZerBurn » Sun Jan 19, 2014 4:39 pm

It's the Boros Tokens deck that Pedros has been running :)
Thanks to NerdBoyWonder for the awesome sig :)

agrevall
Newcomer

Postby agrevall » Sun Jan 19, 2014 5:00 pm

Mmm, makes me want to buy some Elspeth's!

DerWille

Postby DerWille » Sun Jan 19, 2014 6:06 pm

4-0 Daily. Was thinking of offering split before my fourth round, but I was on a smoke when it began and opponent was the usual "Hello and good luck" (seriously, is this automized? because that same message keeps appearing from too many people to be just coincidence), so I said fuck it, let's roll, who cares. Double stomped his monoB, even got enough mana to make my dragon monstrous, Helix did the job instead though.

Besides that I stomped over another monoB R2, seen RW devotion lose it's gas R1 (the lack of instants answers in that deck makes playing against it much smother than against other decks).

But boy, AiR is just crazy. Met it R3. We all know it, we all love it, but we're playing different kind of red. And without sweepers they are able
to owerwhelm us. It's like GW, except smaller creatures in bigger numbers and extra reach which makes defeating it a tricky part. Lost the only game of the daily against that guy - I just couldn't stabilize. On that matter I may be inclined to put Anger back in SB after new set hits. It works against monoU too so that's a plus. Then again these matches ARE winnable even without it so it doesn't guarantee it's inclusion in the SB - just thinking out loud.

As for the MDU's changed list above: I fully agree that some copies of Mortars are necessary. I am meeting RW devo on regular basis and without them we would either have to 2-1 the dragon or just pray they won't have it. That could just be too risky for G1 - and it can still act as a "sweeper" in those lucky moments.

Really interested where the deck creation takes you. As poppa and Valdarith said above, I too miss my third Chandra, so that makes my heart tick (I figured you guys kinda came t a conclusion that 2 is just fine during my 2
months absence). I would be careful about 3 Helixes though, 2 would be my sweet spot (especially given your point about mortars).

Now back to preparing for my Master's "entrance test" (seriously, how d you say that in english? You know, the test that determines who makes it and goes in and who has to try the next time. Can't find the right word for it. "Admission test" maybe?).
Thanks for the report, but what list did you run?

I agree about missing the 3rd Chandra. I almost always enjoy seeing at least 1 every game. I kind of forced her into my Elspeth list because the card draw, falter, and phoenix recursion seems to smooth the deck out and adds a bit more versatility.

I think I can agree with 2 Warleader's Helix. I've been running 2 in the side board and it's helped my match ups significantly. I've found that +4 life has been more relevant than indestructibility. My Esper match up has been good enough that the only sideboarding I need is to remove
cards that aren't relevant (chained to the rocks, mortars).

English wise, I'd probably say, "entrance exam" although "admission test" makes sense. If you don't mind me asking, where are you from?

Deht
Newcomer

Postby Deht » Sun Jan 19, 2014 6:47 pm

So this deck just won the Columbus SCG Open going 12-1 overall. Is it someone here? Looks not a million miles from MDU's various builds.

http://sales.starcitygames.com//deckdat ... ckID=62635
Dunno if you were watching the stream but, the UW Control player that he faced off against in the Semi-Finals punted REALLY hard in G3, had Aetherling on board while the RW player had Stormbreath out, UW Control Player made his Aetherling unblockable, attacked, dropped a fresh Elspeth, used her -3 (destroy all creatures power of 4 or greater) and forgot to blink out (or shrink) his Aetherling, RW player didn't say anything until after the ability completely resolved and he put his Stormbreath
in the graveyard, then pointed at the Aetherling. UW Control player had that "oh shit" look on his face and realized he possibly just blew a victory. RW player top decks Stormbreath, swings three times, UW control player has no verdict or revelation, gg.

Jedi_Knight

Postby Jedi_Knight » Sun Jan 19, 2014 6:53 pm

Oh yeah, didn't mentioned that, sorry. MDU's list with Helixes (not the new one, but the one I played since I returned - it's in his summary post at the last page) with just one change: -1 Boros Charm +1 Assemble. That change is going back though, Charm had been much more useful: helped me 80% times I had it (even took few wins by 4 to the dome), while I wws able to cast Assemble only about 20% of the time.
Realized I need to switch it back when I had both "Assembles" out only to be stalled by Jace for about 6 turns. Didn't SS, but there were about 50 tokens on the battlefield, all totally useless. If that second Assemble had been Charm though, I could have won much sooner.

Thanks for the clarification about the translation. :stupid: And I am from Czech Republic, heart of Europe and mekka of beer - it's real that
beer in restaurants/pubs is actually cheaper than water. Too bad I don't like it. :p

Huge thumbs up to MDU for his videos: helped me a lot with the dreaded question "what to SB".

jdhull37
Newcomer

Postby jdhull37 » Sun Jan 19, 2014 8:24 pm

Hi All

Just wanted to throw my thanks out there to everybody. Went to FNM this week and got my first 1st place finish going 4-0-1 splitting with opponent in final round. Used MDU's list with the 2 Warleaders Helix from the last few pages. My only change was I tried out 2x Wear // Tear instead of the 2x Glare of Heresy. My sideboards may be a little off but I will try to recount what I traded out. Rounds where as follows:

Round 1 vs UW Control

Game 1: Was playing against a kid who was knowledgeable of the game but wasn't very familiar with this deck. Went the standard route of not overcommitting and just whittling away until I was able to hit a Warleader's Helix to the dome for the win.

Sideboard: -3 Chain, 02 Mortar; +2 Skullcrack, +2 Boros Charm, +1 Assemble the Legion.

Game 2: Pretty much the same as before. He did get to the point where he was able to Sphinx Rev to try and stabilize a bit but I
had skullcrack in hand and was able to finish him off next turn with a Boros Charm to the dome. However I am glad I played this kid in round 1 because as he started learning the deck he actually ended up doing very well and beating a lot of players.

1-0

Round 2 vs Wr Aggro

Game 1: Curved out perfect Cackler to Zealot to Phoenix. Used my chains a Dryad Militant and a burn on his Imposing Sovereign into a turn 5 Stormbreath for him to concede.

Sideboard: -2 FDS, -4 Cackler, -2 Chandra; +3 Boros Reckoner, +2 Boros Charm, +2 Mortar, +1 Assemble

Game 2: He sided in some fiendslayer paladins which made this match much much tougher. He got out a fiendslayer and soldier of the pantheon to do a lot of work for him. I only had a Boros Reckoner and Phoenix on board. I played a Lightning Bolt and Boros Charm on my own reckoner to take out his fiendslayer paladin thinking it would help me out just to see him drop a second one. Tried again to just lightning bolt but he charmed for the game.

nGame 3: Opponent got mana screwed and just wasnt able to keep up the pace. Turn 5 and turn 6 stormbreath dragon on the field for me for the win.

2-0

Round 3 vs BUG (mostly Mono Black really)

Game 1: Started out with a hand mostly full of burn spells and a few land. Opponent played pack rat turn two which I just removed. He continued to play the normal creatures of nightveil spectre and the such but I had plenty of removal. Once I had taken out most of his guys and landed a Chandra I just took over the match. He used a Hero's Downfall which allowed me to drop a Stormbreath for the concession.

Sideboard: -4 Stormbreath, -2 Guildgate, -1 Magma Jet; +1 Assemble, +2 Skullcrack, +2 Boros Charm, +2 Mortar

Game 2: I just played this game as remove everything he put down until I was able to lay down 2 Chandra's Phoenix turn 6. He wasn't able to do anything for a few turns while I chipped away at his life total. After a couple turns he was finally able to find a Gary that he played with
an Underworld Connections on the field but I had skullcrack in hand for the concession.

3-0

Game 4 vs Mono U

Game 1: Opponent wins the roll and starts out strong. He played a couple Judge's Familiar and a couple Cloudfin Raptors. Turn 4 he misses a land drop and thats where it went downhill for him. I landed a Chandra and started to slowly chip away at his board. After a few turns his board was clear with me having a Phoenix and a Stormbreath. Finally ultimate Chandra and hit a Lightning Bolt for the win.

Sideboard: -2 FDS, -4 Cackler; +3 Boros Reckoner, +2 Boros Charm, +1 Chain

Game 2: Again he started to get mana screwed on turn 4 and wasn't able to hit his Master of Waves until about turn 7. By that time I had a chains in my hand to handle it and a Chandra on board to take care of everything else. He was trying hard to kill Chandra this time but it just wasnt enough to eventually just overwhelm him with Phoenix's and Stormbreath dragon.

4-0

Game 5 vs Mono U

ID for the
prize split here. We did play this out and I ended up losing 2-1.

Final W/L 4-0-1 for 1st place tie.

I found that I felt much more confortable after the sideboards in every single game to the point I felt like I would rather have a more burn heavy deck with some creatures there in the end to finish off the match. It just seemed much more control oriented and less at the mercy of my opponent game 1. I was also congratulated on how much I kept my opponents on their toes going from an aggro deck to more of a control deck at my will from game to game. I did find that tidebinder mage was one my biggest headaches but was usually able to deal with it but if I could Mono U just gets out of hand fast.

All in all pretty good for the FIRST time I have every actually piloted this deck. The videos MDU puts out made all the difference in my eyes and all credit was given to him and this site.

poppa_f

Postby poppa_f » Sun Jan 19, 2014 11:23 pm

Similar story for me, I played in my LGS "win a box" tournament. 5 rounds followed by top 8, 30-40 players. I played MDU's Big Boros list with 1 change: I was short 1 Helix, so I played 3rd Chandra instead:
[deck]Creature (18)
4x Ash Zealot
4x Chandra's Phoenix
2x Firedrinker Satyr
4x Rakdos Cackler
4x Stormbreath Dragon
Instant (10)
4x Lightning Strike
4x Magma Jet
1x Warleader's Helix
Land (25)
2x Boros Guildgate
11x Mountain
4x Mutavault
4x Sacred Foundry
4x Temple of Triumph
Sorcery (2)
2x Mizzium Mortars
Enchantment (3)
3x Chained to the Rocks
Planeswalker (2)
3x Chandra, Pyromaster
Sideboard (15)
1x Assemble the Legion
2x Boros Charm
3x Boros Reckoner
1x Chained to the Rocks
2x Glare of Heresy
2x Last Breath
2x Mizzium Mortars
2x Skullcrack[/deck]

I went 4-0 and then ID'd the final round to finish 2nd overall going in to top 8. I got knocked out in QFs of top 8, but
felt slightly unlucky to lose after flooding out in the decider, despite having a Chandra in play.

Report:

Match 1, 2-0 vs Junk ramp/re-animator: first game he kept a 1 lander and didn't draw another land. I saw him discard Shadowborn Demon and Grisly Salvage, so had him down as Junk re-animator (his single land was a Temple Garden). Second game he managed to ramp in to a Angel of Serenity, but he was on low enough life by then that I swung in with SBD for the win.
SB:
OUT: 2 FDS, 4 Cackler, 1 Chandra, 2 Jet. IN: 1 chained, 2 mizzium, 3 reckoner 2 Glare
1-0

Match 2, 2-0 vs Naya Mid-range: he was playing quite a weird deck. It was very slow, but had a lot of ramp and a lot of bombs (Elspeth, SBD, Polukranos). I managed to blitz him in both games, SBD doing most of the work.
SB:
OUT: 2 FDS, 4 Cackler, 2 Ashley. IN: 1 chained, 2 mizzium, 3 reckoner 2 Glare
2-0

Match 3, 2-0 vs Mono-green aggro: This was against the guy
that eventually knocked me out in the QF. He was playing a pretty a/b/c green ramp deck. I managed to burn most of his creatures out lock down the ground game, then win with SBD/Phoenix.
SB:
OUT: 2 FDS, 4 Cackler. IN: 1 chained, 2 mizzium, 3 reckoner
3-0

Match 4, 2-1 vs Gruul Aggro: (I was glad to be playing him as he beat Esper Aggro in R3 and I fancied this match-up a lot more than that one). First game I curved out perfectly and had him down to 5 life with me on 16, but he top-decked an armed//dangerous and managed to swing for 22 damage with trample! Fortunately he flooded out in both of the following games.
SB:
OUT: 2 FDS, 4 Cackler. IN: 1 chained, 2 mizzium, 3 reckoner
4-0

Match 5, 1-1 vs Selesnya Aggro: Intentional Draw with the other guy that was 4-0.
Qualify in 2nd place for top 8 knock-out stages

Match 6, 2-1 vs Mono-green aggro: I played first due to seeding. Won the first game very easily, curving out in to
phoenix and SBD. Second game was tighter but he won. Decider I think I made a mistake in not side-boarding in Skullcrack. He played a Nylea's Disciple for 11 life gain. I managed to wipe most of his board and resolve a chandra. At this point I had a mutavault in play and he had a Deadbridge Goliath. I had two draw steps and two +0 of Chandra but drew 4 lands. I eventually drew a Magma Jet, but by then he had Nylea on the board and trampled over my final blocker for lethal.

First time I've top-8'd anything, so was very happy with the final result (I peeled a SBD in one of the prize boosters, so was happy with that too!). Thanks to MDU for the list, I actually prefer this version to the PyroSkies. Having Ashley helps lock down the ground game and having 25 lands makes it a lot easier to curve out and of course having 4 SBD is amazing. Most of the games I won were from players running out of answers and having no flyers to block with (helped that all 6 decks I faced were at least partly green).

I'm
still undecided whether 2 or 3 Chandra is the right number. I didn't have any game where she was stuck in my hand or was unhappy to see her, but then I didn't play any fast aggro decks. At the very least I'd have liked to have had one more in the SB (although not sure what I would cut, maybe LB, as no-one is playing Mono-U in my local meta any more).

magicdownunder
Tire Aficionado

Postby magicdownunder » Mon Jan 20, 2014 1:33 am

Last Time
[deck=MDU's Boros Aggro]Lands 25
11 Mountain
2 Boros Guildgate
4 Mutavault
4 Sacred Foundry
4 Temple of Triumph

Creatures 20
2 Firedrinker Satyr
4 Rakdos Cackler
4 Chandra's Phoenix
4 Ash Zealot
2 Selfie Legionnaire
4 StormBreath Dragon

Enchantments 03
3 Chained to the Rocks

Instants 08
4 Lightning Strike
4 Magma Jet

Sorcery 02
2 Mizzium Mortars

Planeswalkers 02
2 Chandra, Pyromaster

Sideboard 15
1 Chained to the Rocks
1 Assemble the Legion
2 Glare of Heresy
2 Mizzium Mortars
3 Boros Reckoner
2 Skullcrack
2 Boros Charm
2 Last Breath[/deck]
Well here is the report as promised: SE 6586067
Standard Elimination R1: Boros Aggro vs Bx Devotion Event (6586067) <- Piloted by 1900+ MOCS grinder
nStandard Elimination R2: Boros Aggro vs RWb Burn Event (6586067)
Standard Elimination R3: Boros Aggro vs RWB Control Event (6586067)

2nd SE Report 6589115
Standard Elimination R1: Boros Aggro vs Esper Control Event (6589115) <-- MOCS Grinder
Standard Elimination R2: Boros Aggro vs Rw Aggro Event (6589115) <-- DtR Member
Standard Elimination R3: Split

[
size=150]Championship Qualifier 6592242 Report (4-1)[/size]
Championship Qualifier G1 Boros Aggro vs Rw Aggro (Event 6592242)
Championship Qualifier G2 Boros Aggro vs Bx Devotion (Event 6592242)
Championship Qualifier G3 Boros Aggro vs Bx Devotion (Event 6592242)
Championship Qualifier G4 Boros Aggro vs Bg Devotion (Event 6592242)
Championship Qualifier G5: Split

Deck change based on Event 6592242:

11 Mountain
2 Boros Guildgate
4 Mutavault
4 Sacred Foundry
4 Temple of Triumph

Creatures 18
2 Firedrinker Satyr
4 Rakdos Cackler
4 Chandra's Phoenix
4 Ash Zealot
n4 StormBreath Dragon

Enchantments 03
3 Chained to the Rocks

Instants 10
4 Lightning Strike
4 Magma Jet
2 Warleader's Helix

Sorcery 02
2 Mizzium Mortars

Planeswalkers 02
2 Chandra, Pyromaster

Sideboard 15
1 Chained to the Rocks
1 Assemble the Legion
2 Glare of Heresy
2 Mizzium Mortars
3 Boros Reckoner
2 Skullcrack
2 Boros Charm
2 Last Breath[/deck]
(-2x Selfie Legionnaire, +2x Warleader's Helix)

Standard Elimination Event Report 6599211
Standard Elimination R1 Boros Aggro vs Bg Devotion Event 6599211
Standard Elimination R2 Boros Aggro vs Rw Devotion Event 6599211
Standard Elimination R3 Boros Aggro vs Gr Devotion Event 6599211

Still maintaining my 100%
finish ratio, here is my:

Standard Elimination Event 6602274 Report
Standard Elimination R1 Boros Aggro vs Boros Aggro Event 6602274 <-- vs rujasu a sally mod
Standard Elimination R2 Boros Aggro vs Esper Control Event 6602274
Standard Elimination R3 Boros Aggro vs Wb Humansl Event 6602274

Standard Elimination Event 6606548 Report
Standard Elimination R1 Boros Aggro vs UW Control Event 6606548
Standard Elimination R2 Boros Aggro vs Boros Devotion Event 6606548
Standard Elimination R3 Boros Aggro vs Bx Devotion Event 6606548

Standard Elimination Event 6612176 Report
Standard Elimination R1 Boros Aggro vs Bx Devotion Event 6612176 <-- Top200 member
Standard
Elimination R2 Boros Aggro vs Gr Devotion Event 6612176

Standard Elimination R3 Boros Aggro vs Esper Aggro Event 6612176

Please note, I played the above games rather poorly (I'm really thinking about cutting SC for another Boros Charm and Wear // Tear, but the Bx MU.....).
Standard Elimination Event 6620988 Report
Standard Elimination R1 Boros Aggro vs Wb Humans Event 6620988
Standard Elimination R2 Boros Aggro vs Bx Devotion Event 6620988
nStandard Elimination R3: Split

@Johnny_Spike

I think its about time we include the Boros Aggro list in Primer based on all these positive results with it:

11 Mountain
2 Boros Guildgate
4 Mutavault
4 Sacred Foundry
4 Temple of Triumph

Creatures 18
2 Firedrinker Satyr
4 Rakdos Cackler
4 Chandra's Phoenix
4 Ash Zealot
4 StormBreath Dragon

Enchantments 03
3 Chained to the Rocks

Instants 10
4 Lightning Strike
4 Magma Jet
2 Warleader's Helix

Sorcery 02
2 Mizzium Mortars

Planeswalkers 02
2 Chandra, Pyromaster

Sideboard 15
1 Chained to the Rocks
1 Assemble the Legion
2 Glare of Heresy
2 Mizzium Mortars
3 Boros Reckoner
2 Skullcrack
2 Boros Charm
2 Last Breath[/deck]

I'll include the links with the relevant SB plans (just keep them all in a spoiler tag to save space)

Bx Devotion
Standard Elimination R1 Boros Aggro vs Bg Devotion
Event 6599211

Rw Devotion
Standard Elimination R2 Boros Aggro vs Rw Devotion Event 6599211

Gr Devotion
Standard Elimination R3 Boros Aggro vs Gr Devotion Event 6599211

Mirror
Standard Elimination R1 Boros Aggro vs Boros Aggro Event 6602274 <-- vs rujasu a sally mod

Esper Control
Standard Elimination R2 Boros Aggro vs Esper Control Event 6602274

Wb Humans
[
url=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h-Fv3323 ... DG&index=1]Standard Elimination R3 Boros Aggro vs Wb Humans Event 6602274[/url]

UW Control
Standard Elimination R1 Boros Aggro vs UW Control Event 6606548

Esper Aggro
Standard Elimination R3 Boros Aggro vs Esper Aggro Event 6612176

Rwb Burn (the Selfie list but the SB plan may help)
Standard Elimination R2: Boros Aggro vs RWb Burn Event (6586067)
n
Rw Aggro (the Selfie list but the SB plan may help)
Championship Qualifier G1 Boros Aggro vs Rw Aggro (Event 6592242)

Anyhow I'll keep testing my pile, I plan on moving some Mortar MD for test v0.3 and since the list is still very unrefined I'll just recommend you keep playing with the the above.

Lightning_Dolt
Tire Aficionado

Postby Lightning_Dolt » Mon Jan 20, 2014 2:22 am

Sure if you think it's worth doing (considering 58/ 60 of the main deck are the standard shell).

Is there a specific event you did well in you want me to reference?

Also worth noting that new standard starts in a couple weeks and this thread will likely be retired.

magicdownunder
Tire Aficionado

Postby magicdownunder » Mon Jan 20, 2014 2:25 am

Now this a burn list I can get behind:

[deck=dmad422's Burn Champ 6-2]Lands 25
9 Mountain
4 Mutavault
4 Sacred Foundry
4 Temple of Silence
4 Temple of Triumph

Others 25
1 Assemble the Legion
2 Boros Charm
4 Chained to the Rocks
2 Chandra, Pyromaster
4 Lightning Strike
3 Magma Jet
2 Mizzium Mortars
3 Shock
4 Warleader's Helix

Creatures 10
4 Chandra's Phoenix
4 Rakdos Cackler
2 Stormbreath Dragon

Sideboard 15
4 Anger of the Gods
2 Assemble the Legion
4 Boros Reckoner
1 Mizzium Mortars
4 Skullcrack
[/deck]

I does everything which I recommended all those months back (Vaults, Anger and Chandra) I think it could do with 1 or 2 SBD+ in the SB.MD.

magicdownunder
Tire Aficionado

Postby magicdownunder » Mon Jan 20, 2014 2:29 am

Sure if you think it's worth doing (considering 58/ 60 of the main deck are the standard shell).

I think its worth it since it plays out differently enough, and it will help all those guys who are using it now to SB, if possible just reference the stuff I posted under "@Johnny_Spike"
Also worth noting that new standard starts in a couple weeks and this thread will likely be retired.
Only for you RL guys T_T - us MODO'ER will
still be stuck on old/current standard for a extra month or so

Lightning_Dolt
Tire Aficionado

Postby Lightning_Dolt » Mon Jan 20, 2014 2:31 am

I think its worth it since it plays out differently enough, and it will help all those guys who are using it now to SB, if possible just reference the stuff I posted under "@Johnny_Spike"

[quote="Johnny_Spike » Mon Jan 20, 2014 12:22 pm":
322wv2lc]Also worth noting that new standard starts in a couple weeks and this thread will likely be retired.
Only for you RL guys T_T - us MODO'ER will still be stuck on old/current standard for a extra month or so[/quote]

Can you PM that post to me so I can cutr and paste the info? I7m at work and can't do the youtube links etc.

Lightning_Dolt
Tire Aficionado

Postby Lightning_Dolt » Mon Jan 20, 2014 3:03 am

OK, finished the updates to the primer. Let me know what you think. Also, feedback of the history of the deck appreciated. If you think you made a significant contribution and wish to be included in the history section, please let me know.

Lightning_Dolt
Tire Aficionado

Postby Lightning_Dolt » Mon Jan 20, 2014 3:05 am

Or, just if there's anything I missed.

magicdownunder
Tire Aficionado

Postby magicdownunder » Mon Jan 20, 2014 4:48 am

@Johnny_Spike: What happen once BNG comes in? Do we lose all our threads or does the power of DtR keep them for the MODO folk?

Anyhow I tested Boros Pile v0.3 I think this is the version I'll keep on running for MODO

EDIT: It was meant to be 2 Chandra, Pyromaster

[deck=MDU's Boros Pile v0.3]Lands 25
4 Mutavault
4 Sacred Foundry
4 Temple of Triumph
2 Boros Guildgate
11 Mountain

Creatures 16
4 Rakdos Cackler
4 Ash Zealot
4 Chandra's Phoenix
4 Stormbreath Dragon

Others 19
3 Chained to the Rocks
4 Magma Jet
4 Lightning Strike
2 Mizzium Mortars
3 Warleader's Helix
2 Chandra, Pyromaster
1 Assemble the Legion

Sideboard 15
1 Chained to the Rocks
1 Chandra, Pyromaster
1 Flames of the Firebrand
1 Mizzium Mortars
1 Assemble the Legion
2 Glare of Heresy
2 Last Breath
3 Boros Charm
3 Boros Reckoner[/deck]
Still working on the SB plan (so its messy in the videos).

I went 3-0 during the SE so I now have 3 video sets in the queue:

Video Queue
Mon: Boros Aggro (3-0)
Tue: Boros Pile v0.1 (3-0)
Wed: Boros Pile v0.2 (2-1)
Thu: Boros Pile v0.3 (3-0)
Last edited by magicdownunder on Mon Jan 20, 2014 9:46 am, edited 1 time in total.

Lightning_Dolt
Tire Aficionado

Postby Lightning_Dolt » Mon Jan 20, 2014 5:20 am

I think the thread gets archived.

Helios
Tire Aficionado

Postby Helios » Mon Jan 20, 2014 5:53 am

Why would the thread get archived? This will still be a deck.

Lightning_Dolt
Tire Aficionado

Postby Lightning_Dolt » Mon Jan 20, 2014 7:32 am

Might not be. I think a lot of players (myself included) are looking at RB.

Pedros
Tire Aficionado

Postby Pedros » Mon Jan 20, 2014 8:26 am

Might not be. I think a lot of players (myself included) are looking at RB.
This and RageGruul. Boros will still be good (assemble the legion vs black decks)
Sig by NerdBoyWonder

Lightning_Dolt
Tire Aficionado

Postby Lightning_Dolt » Mon Jan 20, 2014 8:36 am

Good enough to keep us here? I hate the card anyway.

Lightning_Dolt
Tire Aficionado

Postby Lightning_Dolt » Mon Jan 20, 2014 8:39 am

No interest in gruul, but still hope RB had some playable, non-shitty-minotaur cards to be spoiled.

magicdownunder
Tire Aficionado

Postby magicdownunder » Mon Jan 20, 2014 8:53 am

I think so... the option to take the burn approach with [card]Warleader's Helix[/card] and Boros Charm is quite real as well.

Its also nice that Rw provides you with option to take down artifact and enchantments which may come in handy in the future as well :D - that said we're waaaay off-topic now, so lets go back into discussing Rw Decks and leave all the BNG stuff for the BNG clan thread.

Pedros
Tire Aficionado

Postby Pedros » Mon Jan 20, 2014 9:00 am

I think so... the option to take the burn approach with [card]Warleader's Helix[/card] and Boros Charm is quite real as well.

Its also nice that Rw provides you with option to take down artifact and enchantments which may come in handy in the future as well :D - that said we're waaaay off-topic now, so lets go back into discussing Rw Decks and leave all the BNG stuff for the BNG clan thread.[/
quote]

No access to BNG clan thread I think :P

Green got Deglamer which is INSANE.
Sig by NerdBoyWonder

Toddington

Postby Toddington » Mon Jan 20, 2014 9:35 am

[deck=MDU's Boros Pile v0.3]Lands 25
4 Mutavault
4 Sacred Foundry
4 Temple of Triumph
2 Boros Guildgate
11 Mountain

Creatures 16
4 Rakdos Cackler
4 Ash Zealot
4 Chandra's Phoenix
4 Stormbreath Dragon

Others 19
3 Chained to the Rocks
4 Magma Jet
4 Lightning Strike
2 Mizzium Mortars
3 Warleader's Helix
3 Chandra, Pyromaster
1 Assemble the Legion

Sideboard 15
1 Chained to the Rocks
1 Chandra, Pyromaster
1 Flames of the Firebrand
1 Mizzium Mortars
1 Assemble the Legion
2 Glare of Heresy
2 Last Breath
3 Boros Charm
3 Boros Reckoner[/deck]
There's 20 non-creature spells listed here.

I'm really liking the 3rd Chandra that seems to be returning to lists now. What matchups do you intend to bring in the 4th?

nHave you missed the Firedrinkers at all? It seems like the 4 damage burn spells make up for the small loss in early aggro.

poppa_f

Postby poppa_f » Mon Jan 20, 2014 1:02 pm

I was wondering the other day if it's worth playing more white sources so you can play Soldier of the Pantheon MB in place of cackler. He's good against U/w, as they can't Azorius charm or D-sphere him. He's also a brick wall against Selesnya, blocks Voice, voice token, Smiter, Fleecemane lion and against mono-U deals with frostburn weird and against R/w frostburn weird, reckoner, BTE and cackler. You get some limited lifegain as well, which may be relevant in the R/w and G/w matchups where you are often racing or at least trying to stabilize.

Lightning_Dolt
Tire Aficionado

Postby Lightning_Dolt » Mon Jan 20, 2014 2:31 pm

I'm not going to be around much, I need a break and I'm burnt out on current standard anyway. Don't see the point with 2 weeks left.

Return to “Archives”