Primer: R/w/x Aggro

Threads from Standard formats since passed.

Moderators: Kaitscralt, zemanjaski, Christen

Jack
Tire Aficionado
(View: POSTS_VIEWTOPIC /POSTS_VIEWTOPIC_INTO)

Postby Jack » Mon Jan 27, 2014 10:55 pm

You will NOT have a mainboard with Loyalists and no Satyrs. Also, I think it's worth considering Nykthos in that list. It might not be better than Mutavault, but I'd suggest trying it out if you haven't already.
Sig by NBW.

LP, of the Fires
Tire Aficionado

Postby LP, of the Fires » Tue Jan 28, 2014 9:41 am

Sorry to ask question without contributing, but what do ya'll think of the Boros Token/combo deck from the Open with Elspeth, YP, assemble and Purphoros.

My friend Vidi(semi-pro, cashed 9/11 gps played) was running it at the 5k I played last weekend and while I'm over playing "fair magic" the deck looked very strong and could attack from tons of angles.
You gotta understand, I love the beatdown. I really do. I always have.

Beatdown is hard, though.

Patrick chapin

magicdownunder
Tire Aficionado

Postby magicdownunder » Tue Jan 28, 2014 10:39 am

I played against Rw Tokens a few times now, I'll say its a solid list which is weak against discard and control.

Its best used in an aggressive meta. If Pedros gets online he can provide further explanation since he is the only one i know from the forum who actually played the deck.

Enjoy Pauper, Standard, Momir, Modern and Music? then visit my channel: Video Link

agrevall
Newcomer

Postby agrevall » Tue Jan 28, 2014 12:38 pm

great job lazerburn beating down the DUKE!!!
@LazerBurn, Reid has a set of vids on Starcity Premium today showing this daily and your match. Pretty interesting to see it from both sides of the table. He wasn't expecting the dragon G1 ;)

magicdownunder
Tire Aficionado

Postby magicdownunder » Tue Jan 28, 2014 12:49 pm

Its like he never fought an Boros Aggro deck before :p - I liked how he commented on Lazerburn's name

Enjoy Pauper, Standard, Momir, Modern and Music? then visit my channel: Video Link

Lightning_Dolt
Tire Aficionado

Postby Lightning_Dolt » Tue Jan 28, 2014 1:11 pm

Nice job Lazer. Fuckin' eh!

LaZerBurn
Tire Aficionado

Postby LaZerBurn » Tue Jan 28, 2014 3:25 pm

great job lazerburn beating down the DUKE!!!
@LazerBurn, Reid has a set of vids on Starcity Premium today showing this daily and your match. Pretty interesting to see it from both sides of the table. He wasn't expecting the dragon G1 ;)
:D Thanks for telling me :)

Now if someone can send me a link please that would be awesome,
otherwise I'm going to have to pay to watch myself play :)

EDIT - it's only $4 for the week, I'm signing up right away! :)

EDIT - :D Well that was wonderful! Thanks to everyone on here - MDU, J_S and dauntless especially- for all the hard work and support and RedBro love, you're fuckin' awesome :love:
Last edited by LaZerBurn on Tue Jan 28, 2014 4:22 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Thanks to NerdBoyWonder for the awesome sig :)

Purp
Tire Aficionado

Postby Purp » Tue Jan 28, 2014 3:29 pm

Check PM lazer

yurp yurp

Pedros
Tire Aficionado

Postby Pedros » Tue Jan 28, 2014 4:30 pm

I played against Rw Tokens a few times now, I'll say its a solid list which is weak against discard and control.

Its best used in an aggressive meta. If Pedros gets online he can provide further explanation since he is the only one i know from the forum who actually played the deck.
Deck was really fine for me, however it was somehow to slow vs control and deck didnt run as many spells to contribute for YP, so I put Ash zealots in this slot. It helped devotion and got more haste to deck.

Deck was fine vs agressive decks, Assemble gave you edge vs black, dragon vs uw, purpuros was extraordinary as a combo element with elspeth and assemble. It also helped vs jace as an prevention of -1/0. Somehow slow vs control, but you have better
topdecks.
Sig by NerdBoyWonder

PirateKingAtomsk

Postby PirateKingAtomsk » Tue Jan 28, 2014 5:34 pm

You will NOT have a mainboard with Loyalists and no Satyrs. Also, I think it's worth considering Nykthos in that list. It might not be better than Mutavault, but I'd suggest trying it out if you haven't already.
I'm was worried about the loss of damage from running loyalist over satyr at first too but the deck is pretty fast as it is now with the lower curve, and satyrs get sided out against everything but mono black so im not too worried about it. Not running nykthos because fanatic is the only thing thats need devotion and it doesnt cost alot of mana. Was gunna run 2 hammers but i would need to obtain a second, so i started with initiative as a lower cost enchantment that pumps my guys helps in the long run, and not that im worried about it
but it saves your creatures from drown in sorrows if/when it gets run (monoB would have to drop or play around their own pack rats which can only be a benefit for me).
" :symtap: : Destroy target orifice."

vundo
Newcomer

Postby vundo » Tue Jan 28, 2014 8:10 pm

I played the RW Tokens list. Purphoros with Assemble and Elspeth is indeed and obviously very strong. I had the hardest time beating UW. The 4 dragons in the 75 seemed like the only threats I had. The deck didn't push out enough damage before all my big spells got dsphere'd. I like Pedros' idea of replacing YP with Ash Zealot. I might try that out.

dauntless268

Postby dauntless268 » Tue Jan 28, 2014 9:43 pm

EDIT - :D Well that was wonderful! Thanks to everyone on here - MDU, J_S and dauntless especially- for all the hard work and support and RedBro love, you're fuckin' awesome :love:
You're the one who's awesome! Watched the vid and loved it.

I've come across it several times that people think our deck is some weird devotion variant and make mistakes, like sideboarding in Lifebane Zombie in Mono Black and stuff...

EDIT: Managed to grind out my 15 QPs in the last 2 days so I can at least play the MOCS qualifier... :D
Last edited by dauntless268 on Tue Jan 28, 2014 11:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.
MTGO handle: Clemens268

magicdownunder
Tire Aficionado

Postby magicdownunder » Tue Jan 28, 2014 11:28 pm

Standard Elimination
Report (Event 6657130)

Standard Elimination R1 Almost Boros Burn vs UB Control Event 6657130
Standard Elimination R2 Almost Boros Burn vs Esper Humans Event 6657130
Standard Elimination R3 Almost Boros Burn vs Rw Tokens Event 6657130

I'll be back on Magic again on Thursday (your Wednesday) for the start of MOCS3 grinding - I decided to run a more burn focus build in preparation for BnG so only (12-13 creatures).

amcfvieira

Postby amcfvieira » Wed Jan 29, 2014 2:37 am

Anyone have the list that Colin Miller play in GP Vancouver and finish in 16? I see him in camera playing some kind of Boros Pyrodragons list and I'm curious about this list.
Legacy: IZZET DELVER ; BURN
Modern: TEMPO TWINS ; UR STORM ; BURN
Standard: Work in Progress

Pedros
Tire Aficionado

Postby Pedros » Wed Jan 29, 2014 8:21 pm

He was playing Boros Tokens

http://mtgo-stats.com/decks/89546
Sig by NerdBoyWonder

magicdownunder
Tire Aficionado

Postby magicdownunder » Wed Jan 29, 2014 10:22 pm

Last Time
[deck]Almost Boros Burn[/deck]

Standard Elimination Report (Event 6638913)
Standard Elimination R1 Boros Pile vs Black Aggro Event 6638913
[url=http://www.youtube.
com/watch?v=HIxpP5S8t-k&feature=c4-overview-vl&list=PLBO2Co_8Gb6x7B1bKjJBF1rzhD2_474DG]Standard Elimination R2 Boros Pile vs Bx Devotion Event 6638913[/url]
Standard Elimination R3 Split

Standard Daily Report (Event 6654083)
Standard R1 Almost Boros Burn vs WB humans Daily Event 6654083
Standard R2 Almost Boros Burn vs Ux Devotion Daily Event 6654083
Standard R3 Almost Boros Burn vs Boros Burn Daily Event 6654083
Standard R4 Almost Boros Burn vs Epser Humans Daily Event 6654083

Standard Elimination Report (Event 6657130)
Standard Elimination R3 Almost Boros Burn vs Rw Tokens Event 6657130
Standard Elimination Report (Event 6661608)
Standard Elimination R1 Almost Boros Burn vs UW Control Event 6661608
Standard Elimination R2 Almost Boros Burn vs BW Control Event 6661608

Boros Token seems too be doing well in the SCG circle.

amcfvieira

Postby amcfvieira » Wed Jan 29, 2014 11:13 pm

He was playing Boros Tokens

http://mtgo-stats.com/decks/89546
Thanks a lot. I see that you are playing it for yourself. What are your matchup against MonoU/MonoB and control?

magicdownunder
Tire Aficionado

Postby magicdownunder » Thu Jan 30, 2014 12:59 am

Ok I played my first game of magic in awhile and got 3-0 during the SE testing out my new list: (woot 02/35 QP)

[deck=MDU's Big Burn]Lands 25
9 Mountain
4 Mutavault
4 Sacred Foundry
4 Temple of Silence
4 Temple of Triumph

Creatures 12
4 Chandra's Phoenix
4 Rakdos Cackler
4 Stormbreath Dragon

Other Spells 09
4 Chained to the Rocks
2 Chandra, Pyromaster
2 Mizzium Mortars
1 Assemble the Legion

Burns 14
4 Lightning Strike
4 Warleader's Helix
3 Magma Jet
3 Shock

Sideboard 15
1 Assemble the Legion
1 Mizzium Mortars
2 Last Breath
2 Boros Charm
2 Glare of Heresy
3 Skullcrack
4 Boros Reckoner[/deck]

Post BnG I'll be running 2 Boros Reckoner / 2 Satyr Firedancer split, but if Ux and Bx completely remove Gx and Rx from the equation then I'll run 4x Satyr Firedancer.

LaZerBurn
Tire Aficionado

Postby LaZerBurn » Thu Jan 30, 2014 1:16 am

Are you going to run Fated Conflagration? :) I am :)

magicdownunder
Tire Aficionado

Postby magicdownunder » Thu Jan 30, 2014 2:27 am

Nope, I prefer running 3-4 Shock which I'll use to 2-4-1 vs any fat.

I actually wanted to run 2x Annihilating Fire so that I could exile the GhostDads but I'm not sure I'm willing to cut anything from the boards.

We'll see how the meta changes....

Lightning_Dolt
Tire Aficionado

Postby Lightning_Dolt » Thu Jan 30, 2014 6:39 am

Reid Duke got kicked off SCG for losing to Lazerburn ;)

magicdownunder
Tire Aficionado

Postby magicdownunder » Thu Jan 30, 2014 6:47 am

SCG is really losing all their talent (Reid and Reuben), I do look forward to reading about Reid on CFB :D

(I'm still shocked CBF can afford to pay so well even though they don't force anyone to pay to read articles or videos)

Lightning_Dolt
Tire Aficionado

Postby Lightning_Dolt » Thu Jan 30, 2014 6:58 am

Didn't realize Tom Martel was there too.

Lightning_Dolt
Tire Aficionado

Postby Lightning_Dolt » Thu Jan 30, 2014 6:58 am

- 1,000,000 points for having Travis Woo though.

LaZerBurn
Tire Aficionado

Postby LaZerBurn » Thu Jan 30, 2014 11:15 am

:) The power of FoS reaches to the highest levels :)

DriftingLifted
Newcomer

GP Vancouver

Postby DriftingLifted » Thu Jan 30, 2014 8:56 pm

Hey guys, just wanted to drop a little post about my GP Vancouver experience. This was my first standard season and I had played about 3 FNM's before this GP in addition to any test playing I did myself and with friends. Had a blast and wanted to let you guys know how it went! I started off my PyroDragons for about a month of play, and played it twice at FNM, but I had been feeling the Big Boros list and decided a few weeks out that it would be my list for the GP.

Played some grinders the first day to get a feel for the field since this was my first tournament outside of my store. Got to the 3rd round of the 5 round pre-GP GPT grinders. Was playing mostly for packs, since according to a Canadian law, all the standard side events at the GP gave free packs just for joining, since some gambling law prevented the event organizers just taking our money to play Magic. The EV at the event was awesome, but I
digress. Performed decently the first day, play a couple more side events and got not too much sleep that night cause I was pretty excited :P

Match 1:
My first match at a GP! I played against G/B aggro, with Dreg Mangler, Scavenging Ooze, Heroes Downfall, Experiment One. Game 1 I had a balanced hand with a couple Ash Zealot, good mana and some removal. As it happened, my deck decided to draw me into 2 more Ash Zealots over the first few draw steps and I basically just outpaced him completely with 4 Ash Zealots and taking out his threats with a couple burn spells. I saw a Polukranos game 1, so I knew he was capable of bigger threats. In came some more Mizzium Mortars, Rakdos Cacklers out and I was ready for the control role. He plays a lot of big threats, I burn some small creatures, have a Phoenix in the air and I'm chipping away. I chain his Polukranos and Warleader's Helix the follow-up Kalonian hydra (phew). From
here he's gassed and I slowly finish him off.

2-0 games, 1-0 Overall :D

Match 2:
Up against Boros Burn! I didn't realize this until he played his third land and hadn't played any creatures. I had a rather low threat high removal hand on the draw, didn't have many options and I opted to race, though I knew I was a severe disadvantage in that department now. It came down to me with 3 health and him with 4, and him top decking. But he had his scrys set up and finished me off with a Lightning Strike off the top. I wasn't sure about the sideboard exactly with this one, I took out some Mizzium mortars and chains and sided in last breath to maybe pad my health at times and a few other cards (most of this report is off the top of my head). I was able to outrace him game 2 with a better draw. Game 3 he had to unfortunately mull to 3 and it was a pretty easy win.

4-1 in Games, 2-0 in matches

Match 3:
Mono B devotion.
I was quite confident with my Mono B matchup, just with the deck itself and cause it was the single matchup where I had had quite a bit more practice against a proxy deck with friends. I win game 1 in an unexciting fashion, had a 1 drop, some follow up threats, he wasn't able to stabilise although he did Lifebane Zombie my chains away and kept me on my toes for a Desecration Demon, but he apparently didn't have it in hand. Game 2 was probably the tightest game in the GP, I got him down to 1, but was low on threats and couldn't finish him off after having skullcracked in response to his pharika's cure on my cackler. He had connections out and a whip of erebos so his mutavault swinging in started gaining him health and allowing him to start the card drawing. Eventually he got a Grey Merchant after having slowly grinding me down. Game 3, luck was on my side. I kept a 1 lander with 3 Rakdo's cacklers, and was able to draw the mountain off the top. 3 Cacklers by turn 2 was able to get there with a few follow-
up threats, I never lost a point of health. This match was apparently against an experienced player who grinds a couple SCG events; Wesley Higgbee (?) ended up placing 30 something. I may have been his lone loss, or 1 of 2, from Day 1. Felt good.

6-2 games, 3-0 in matches.

Match 4:
Mono U. Oh boy. I knew going in it was a tough match-up (at least for me) but knew I had the tools to beat the deck. Unfortunately for me, he had some good draws, not amazing, but far better than my mediocre hands. I didn't have answers either game, and I likely made some poor decisions when I was against the wall and had to chain some of his less threatening threats due to low removal. Of course, he has the Master of Waves the next turn. Props to him, he was a confident guy with his deck, but I feel this match-up just happened where he drew those good ol' turn 1 cloudfin raptor, into turn 2 cloudfin, judges familiar into turn 3,4 tidebinder, frostburn weird, wait for the master of waves, kind of hands.

6-4 games,
3-1 in matches

Match 5:
A local player, with another Golgari aggro deck. I wasn't impressed from my first match against the similar deck, this one having Varolz and maybe less big beaters. I knew to be aware of Abrupt Decay, but other than that I just did what my hand allowed. Both games I removed each and every threat he played as he complained about the first game being mana-screwed, then the second game being flooded. I felt he had some plays most turns of both games, but hey I guess that's cause I'm winning. Straight forward match-up, Mizzium Mortars things, Lightning Strike things, then just keep tapping those Phoenix and playing Stormbreath.

8-4 games, 4-1 Matches

Match 6:
Now I didn't know this, but apparently the more you win the closer you are to the top tables. I noticed this when I was sitting at table 36, and noticed Christian Calcano two seats over to my right. That was kinda surreal haha, probably should have kept my focus more. Then I look immediately to my right and, OH,
hey it's John Stern. Please, don't tell me I'm facing Owen Turtenwald...
Nope, it's a psuedo R/W Mirror! Player by the name of Andrei who ended up around 110th Day 2? He was playing the Big Boros deck from a couple weeks back with Elspeth and Purphoros, etc. He seemed a lot more experienced with this red mirror, and I likely played it all wrong. Game 1 I didn't have a chance, I believe I mulled to 6, not sure exactly how I played, but my life pad shows I didn't do a single point of damage as he whittled me down. He got a Chandra (the real nice looking black San Diego Comic-Con one :O) out and eventually a Stormbreath Dragon and it was gg. Game 2, I had a better chance having assigned myself to a bigger plan myself, with my Reckoners and removal. It was tight, but I think an early misplay where I overcommitted to the board with 2 Phoenix and he had an Anger the next turn sealed my fate in that game. It ended up with a tight life-total matchup with us both chaining each others Reckoners and trying to
play our big threats out. He ended up with an Elspeth for the finish after dealing with my Dragons. Had I not gotten those Phoenix killed I likely would have had too much pressure for that game.

8-6 Games, 4-2 Matches

Match 6:
Grand Prix day 2 hopes on the line! I didn't have any expectations either way coming into the tournament so basically just felt good with every win I got. I was starting to tire though, it was around 4-5 pm, I had slept 4 hours the night before (which hadn't been a problem at all until this time in the day) but I figured I slog through it. I got a refocused mind set as I sat down against Esper Control. He won the role, I got him down to 9 before he stabilised with a Blood Baron which I had no Mizzium Mortars to answer it. This game slipped away from me, I believe I had a firm advantage prior to this, he was low on cards but eventually I drew no answers. Second game, the match-up went how I'd like, I aggro him out with a Cackler in Ash Zealot and the games ends quickly.
Lucky, since the first game took around 25 minutes. We have about 15 minutes left on the clock once game 3 starts. I push for an early aggressive start, he stonewalls me with a BB, I have the MM in hand. Next turn, a second BB. I need throw some card advantage away and 2 for 1 myself to take it out, expecting him to be quite low on threats now. As I start reestablishing my board presence, he's able to get the Sphinx's Revs and draw into the Elspeth and start making tokens. I have an out in drawing a land for an overloaded MM, but with Jace, Elspeth and a grip full of cards in hand I have to concede. It had already gone into 5 turn over time and we were the last match playing.

9-8 in games, 4-3 in matches :(

At this point, I decided to drop and hang with my friends and play some side events. As it turns out, some 6-3 players still made Day 2, despite the announcement early on that 7-2 was what you needed to ensure the
second day of play. I probably should have stuck around, played it out to get a better ranking and just practice some more, but I was pretty tired. Handled the food and drink situation well, kept myself fed the whole day. Next time I'll get some more sleep :P

Overall a fantastic experience for me, I ended up placing 405th, which made me regret not playing it out for a higher spot. My buddy made it to 5-3 before being eliminated, he got 350th ish since he had horrible breakers starting off 0-2. My consolation prize, I played a Standard Win-a-Box Sunday and took it down, 2-0ing the R/w Devotion day-2 player who eliminated my 5-3 buddy, and then playing 2-0ing a G/R monsters player who started off with triple BTE into turn 2/3 Garruk and then splitting for 1st. Got maybe 50 some packs over the weekend and couldn't resist cracking pretty much every one.

Looking forward to what the DTE community comes up with post BotG! I
think I've caught the bug, 5 months into Magic now and I really just wanna play more tournaments >:D. Too bad SCG has no presence up in Canada :(

Cheers guys!

EDIT: OH, right the deck. Hehe, I basically took Lazerburn's list from a few pages back, all props to him and MDU and J_S and everyone who helped develop the list.

[DECK]
4 Rakdos Cackler
4 Ash Zealot
4 Chandra's Phoenix
4 Stormbreath Dragon
2 Chandra, Pyromaster

4 Lightning Strike
4 Magma Jet
4 Chained to the Rocks
2 Mizzium Mortars
2 Warleader's Helix
1 Assemble the Legion

11 Mountain
4 Sacred Foundry
4 Temple of Triumph
4 Mutavault
2 Boros Guildgate

SIDEBOARD:
3 Boros Reckoner
2 Mizzium Mortar
2 Last Breath
2 Boros Charm
2 Glare of Heresy
1 Wear//Tear
1 Assemble the Legion
[/DECK]
Last edited by DriftingLifted on Thu Jan 30, 2014 9:01 pm, edited 4 times in total.

amcfvieira

Postby amcfvieira » Thu Jan 30, 2014 8:59 pm

:) The power of FoS reaches to the highest levels :)
You Firedrinker Reid with Vodka or whiskey?

LaZerBurn
Tire Aficionado

Postby LaZerBurn » Thu Jan 30, 2014 9:24 pm

@ Drifting - good to hear you enjoyed playing the list, well done :)

@ amcfviera - whisky, every time :)

magicdownunder
Tire Aficionado

Postby magicdownunder » Thu Jan 30, 2014 11:20 pm

@DriftingLifted: Nice stuff, I'm glad the list is working for you guys.

@LaZerBurn: i changed my mind, I'll run 1x Fated Conflagration over 1x Mortars (because Fated can at least hit walkers during the control MU)

@All: I'm thinking about starting a new thread once BnG arrives labeled "Rw" it will be a board thread covering non-pyro Rw variants except I'll have some more control over the first post so I can update it will success stories or the latest brews.

As it stands I'm under the impression Rw has the potential of getting stronger from BnG simply because Bx and Ux maybe able to hate out green and red for us, if that happen we can easily steer the list to counter the top3 without stuffing our boards with sweepers or Boros Reckoner.
Last Time
[deck]Almost Boros Burn[/deck]

Standard Elimination Report (Event 6638913)
Standard Elimination R1 Boros Pile vs Black Aggro Event 6638913
Standard Elimination R2 Boros Pile vs Bx Devotion Event 6638913

Standard Daily Report (Event 6654083)

Standard R1 Almost Boros Burn vs WB humans Daily Event 6654083
Standard R2 Almost Boros Burn vs Ux Devotion Daily Event 6654083
Standard R3 Almost Boros Burn vs Boros Burn Daily Event 6654083
Standard R4 Almost Boros Burn vs Epser Humans Daily Event 6654083

Standard Elimination Report (Event 6657130)
[url=http&#
58;//youtu.be/b0Vr6Fi7QMw]Standard Elimination R3 Almost Boros Burn vs Rw Tokens Event 6657130[/url]
Standard Elimination Report (Event 6661461)
Standard Elimination R1 Almost Boros Burn vs Jund Control Event 6661461
Standard Elimination R2 Almost Boros Burn vs Bx Devotion Event 6661461

Like last week, I won't be uploading any videos for the weekends - next week from Mon-Weds will be the remaining videos from the MOCS2 grind then from Thursday onwards will be the MOCS3 grind and the list I plan on taking to into the next set (with minor BnG changes).

Lightning_Dolt
Tire Aficionado

Postby Lightning_Dolt » Fri Jan 31, 2014 12:32 am

You could have a mod transfer control of this thread if you like.

Lightning_Dolt
Tire Aficionado

Postby Lightning_Dolt » Fri Jan 31, 2014 12:35 am

Maybe better to just start off fresh.

Lightning_Dolt
Tire Aficionado

Postby Lightning_Dolt » Fri Jan 31, 2014 12:37 am

More inclusive if you label it RW aggro.

Lightning_Dolt
Tire Aficionado

Postby Lightning_Dolt » Fri Jan 31, 2014 12:40 am

I was going to suggest transferring control to you anyway. I've lost interest in the deck.

LaZerBurn
Tire Aficionado

Postby LaZerBurn » Fri Jan 31, 2014 12:49 am

I'm happy to jump into a new thread :) Can it have the word 'Pile' in the title please? :) Something like ' Rw variants; Almost Burn, Piles and other Dragon based brews' :D

I am soooo hoping that Bx and Ux hate out G and R, that would be perfect :) I'm looking at other decks in odd colours just in case and it is distressing :)

EDIT - 'Rw variants; Almost Burn, Angry Piles and other Dragon based brews' :D
Last edited by LaZerBurn on Fri Jan 31, 2014 1:35 am, edited 1 time in total.

Lightning_Dolt
Tire Aficionado

Postby Lightning_Dolt » Fri Jan 31, 2014 12:56 am

That's a great title.

magicdownunder
Tire Aficionado

Postby magicdownunder » Fri Jan 31, 2014 7:58 am

That would be great, I rather continue this thread because I like how you can track the builds evolution by going back a few pages.

Though its a shame we can't change the thread name into Rw Aggro

Lightning_Dolt
Tire Aficionado

Postby Lightning_Dolt » Fri Jan 31, 2014 8:51 am

That would be great, I rather continue this thread because I like how you can track the builds evolution by going back a few pages.

Though its a shame we can't change the thread name into Rw Aggro
Maybe there's a way? If you have Mod Powers?

Lightning_Dolt
Tire Aficionado

Postby Lightning_Dolt » Fri Jan 31, 2014 8:52 am

NM, I has powers.

DDDebeli
Newcomer

Postby DDDebeli » Fri Jan 31, 2014 9:43 am

Match 3:
...he wasn't able to stabilise although he did Lifebane Zombie my chains away and kept me on my toes for a Desecration Demon
Did I read this wrong or he kinda cheated?

poppa_f

Postby poppa_f » Fri Jan 31, 2014 10:10 am

Went 3-1 at LGS standard last night with this 75:
[deck]Land (25)
2x Plains
11x Mountain
4x Mutavault
4x Sacred Foundry
4x Temple of Triumph
Sorcery (2)
2x Mizzium Mortars
Enchantment (3)
3x Chained to the Rocks
Planeswalker (2)
2x Chandra, Pyromaster
Instant (12)
4x Lightning Strike
4x Magma Jet
2x Shock
2x Warleader's Helix
Creature (16)
4x Chandra's Phoenix
4x Rakdos Cackler
4x Stormbreath Dragon
4x Young Pyromancer

Sideboard (15)
2x Assemble the Legion
2x Boros Charm
2x Boros Reckoner
1x Chained to the Rocks
2x Firedrinker Satyr
2x Glare of Heresy
2x Last Breath
2x Mizzium Mortars
[/deck]

Bizarrely the LGS meta has tilted towards green decks, I'd estimate that G/x makes up over 50% of the meta at the moment. No-one is playing Mono-black any more and Mono-U is much less popular. Bearing this in mind, I moved FDS do the sideboard and cut AShley completely for YP and shock. My
thinking is that the YPs won't get removed by green and can churn out tokens to chump block with while my flyers and burn seal the deal. Strategy worked pretty well, the only deck I lost to was mogis build mono-red aggro. I also switched the guild gates to plains, as less pressure for early red mana without Ash. I like having fewer CITPT lands as means I can curve out faster against hyper-aggressive strategies like G/w and mono-red, where CITPT can be the difference between weathering that early storm or not.

Match 1, 2-0 vs R/w mid-range: This was close to a mirror match, my opponents deck was very similar to mine except he wasn't running any mutavaults and ran reckoners MB. Game 1 I had the nut draw of removal, in to back to back SBDs on curve, so won easily. Game 2 I managed to resolve an Assemble which locked the ground game down and was enough to eventually overpower him. Sideboard- IN: 2 Assemble, 2 Mizzium OUT: 4 Cackler

Match 2, 2-1 vs G/w aggro: Opponent seemed quite inexperienced, eg
tapping out for Advent of the Worm in his turn rather than flashing in during my end step. First game I burned out his early creatures we ended up in a top deck war. He topdecked a couple of worms and I died. Second game post board I had 10 answers to voice and an early YP gave me enough CA to overwhelm him. Final game I managed to ultimate Chandra with 2 YPs on the board and peeled a Helix as the 10th exiled card. gg. SB- IN: 1 chained, 2 mizzium, 2 glare, 2 last breath, 2 reckoner OUT: 4 cackler, 4 phoenix, 1 Chandra

Match 3, 0-2 vs Mono-red devotion: Opponent got nut draw game 1 (cackler in to BTEx2 in to Ashley). I won a tight second game with Assemble. Third game I mulled to 6 and kept a 4 land / 2 removal hand. With hindsight this was probably a bad keep. Predictably I flooded out and ran out of answers to his steady steam of cretaures. SB: IN: 2 reckoner, 2 mizzium, 1 chained, 2 assemble OUT: 4 cackler, 3 phoenix

Match 4, 2-1 vs Mono-Green Devotion: Played this guy before and he maindecks
Witchstalker, which is my nightmare. Game 1 I landed to early YPs and overwhelmed him with tokens and removal. Game 2 he went turn 1 mystic in to turn 2 BTE into Carythid then witchstalker turn 3. I chipped away with removal but he landed some more fatties and won. Game 3 he kept a 2 lander and conceded on turn 4 while still on 2 lands and me with 2 YP on the board.

Finished 3rd overall and peeled an Elspeth in one of my prize boosters, so nice end to the night :).

My current thinking on the Big Boros strategy going forwards:

- YP is better than Ash if you don't expect to face U/W or esper. The card flat out won me two matches. Post-board against aggro or green I'm packing so much removal that the CA from YP is huge. Being able to chump block against G/w and mono-green proved key

- Reckoner does not play nicely with a 4 mutavault list. Too many times he was stuck in my hand until turn 5-6. I've already got YP to
lock up the ground game, so am considering cutting reckoner completely from the 75 (I'd consider running more white sources and having Soldier of the Pantheon, as he would also be a good option to bring in against U/w)

- Token strategy in general seems to be pretty effective. I'm going to thinking about a similar deck that is more token focussed. Unfortunately this would probably mean dropping SBD, to be replaced by Elspeth and Assemble main. I'm wondering if "Fortify" could be good SB tech here as an answer to Drown in Sorrow and a way to pump your token army for an alpha strike. My concern with token strategy is that you are underdog against U/w and esper control, but maybe spirit of the labyrinth out of the board could help balance the scales a bit

Return to “Archives”