[Primer] Boros Burn

Threads from Standard formats since passed.

Moderators: Kaitscralt, zemanjaski, Christen

JohnnyfnB
(View: POSTS_VIEWTOPIC /POSTS_VIEWTOPIC_INTO)

Postby JohnnyfnB » Mon Apr 21, 2014 8:48 pm

So I'm god-awful at the control matchup. I have never won a single match against a UWx control deck. How do people play against control? What things specifically do you watch out for (besides leaving up skullcrack mana)?
You running mutavaults? Constant pressure and end step burn. And yes keep that Skullcrack ready. I very rarely lose to control and haven't in a long time. My hardest mu is mono green devotion with nylea.
There is nothing greater than standing over the smoking corpse of your opponent.

zenbitz

Postby zenbitz » Mon Apr 21, 2014 8:52 pm

I admit to not rolling over control like some people on this thread. It really comes down to skilled play and dodging counters. Being patient seems to be the key. There is some point, maybe around 7 life, where they get desperate and you should always win (assuming you crack the rev) by just running them out of mana or counters or both. You have 3x as many burn spells as they do counters, and no one (yet) is playing silence or render silent, so sometimes you might want to keep drawing cards until you have lethal a couple times over.

In general:
Try not to get your phoenix syncopated.
Try not to get your mutavaults last breathed
I think you not only want to save skullcrack, you have to constantly rep it once you hit 4 mana (unless they are level 0 players)
Ignore Jace (or Kiora or whomever) unless they are about to ultimate or you can shock it or something.
nNever (especially against B) play a YP without a spell backup (note that this might violate leaving skullcrack mana up)

In my (limited) experience I lose if I do not get to play chandra's pheonix and/or I never draw skullcrack. Generally if they get to like 9 mana with >10 life you are probably screwed. (they can elspeth or aetherling with impunity).

The worst feeling is when you have 4 mana, YP and Skullcrack only.

Post board - firedrinker turn 1 is very good. Leave it a chain or glare (maybe 2 total) in case they sneak in Archangel or FSP. Mortars if you see a BBoV. Viashino is great if they don't have blind obedience... but if they do it's almost dead. So cheat or something.

Jedi
Newcomer

Postby Jedi » Mon Apr 21, 2014 8:53 pm

So I'm god-awful at the control matchup. I have never won a single match against a UWx control deck. How do people play against control? What things specifically do you watch out for (besides leaving up skullcrack mana)?
I usually just wait for them to tap out and then unload on them. I don't mind committing creatures to the board to bait a Verdict either. Additionally, I try not to attack my Mutavaults into their removal as I want to get maximum value from them. Generally, if you keep pecking away at their life total with a single burn spell and/or creature, they'll eventually get desperate to do something and tap out. That's when you take advantage of the situation. I have yet to have something like a Lightning Strike countered.

zenbitz

Postby zenbitz » Mon Apr 21, 2014 8:54 pm

. My hardest mu is mono green devotion with nylea.
YP is quite bad against trample... as I found out against minotaurs. That's a surprisingly 50-50 matchup (although with Firedancers/BO/Peak Eruption it's heavily in burn's favor)
Last edited by zenbitz on Mon Apr 21, 2014 8:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.

LaZerBurn
Tire Aficionado

Postby LaZerBurn » Mon Apr 21, 2014 8:55 pm

I guess you know the obvious - burn @ eot, play around counters, get in early beats, don't overextend (less likely with Burn than Aggro). I'd recommend watching these, or rewatching if you've already seen them :)

MDU's Young Dancer's Vs Esper Control

MDU's Ash Phoenix Vs Esper Control

MDU's Blind Zurm Vs Esper Control

MDU's Blind Zurm Vs UW Control
Thanks to NerdBoyWonder for the awesome sig :)

JohnnyfnB

Postby JohnnyfnB » Mon Apr 21, 2014 8:55 pm

Plus toil/trouble is a back breaker. Last Friday back to back for 12 total and that was after a Boros charm. I went 3-1 losing in the last rd and getting 2nd place. Mono grn with his nut draw and my weak ones.
There is nothing greater than standing over the smoking corpse of your opponent.

zenbitz

Postby zenbitz » Mon Apr 21, 2014 9:05 pm

Wasn't game 1 here played kinda bad by MDU? Maybe you cannot avoid getting YP devoured but walks Charm into dissolve, and misses and EoT LS when opp is tapped (and holding 2 dissolves it turns out). Then top decks FTW.

Rhyno

Postby Rhyno » Mon Apr 21, 2014 9:06 pm

Evil Ryan, is that you?
Yup.
YP is quite bad against trample... as I found out against minotaurs. That's a surprisingly 50-50 matchup (although with Firedancers/BO/Peak Eruption it's heavily in burn's favor)
At least if that deck ever gets popular it gets obliterated by Anger of the Gods.

dauntless268

Postby dauntless268 » Mon Apr 21, 2014 9:27 pm

Thanks LaZer for the list, helpful as always :)

Following situation vs Esper Control after SB: I have both YP and T/T in my opening hand. I'm on the play, both players play a CIPT land t1. What's the correct plan?

a) play T2 YP, allowing them to remove it but then being able to play T/T without risking it being countered?
b) hold back YP and play T/T on t3 even if they have 2 mana open?
C) hold back both spells, hoping for a later point in time to be able to play T/T?

As a variant, would it make a difference if you have Phoenix in that situation? A 2 mana burnspell?
MTGO handle: Clemens268

Elricity
Tire Aficionado

Postby Elricity » Mon Apr 21, 2014 9:47 pm

The other cards in your hand are very important for the sequencing. If you have a shock, wait until turn 3 for the YP. Turn 2, they'll just devour flesh and then you still have to work around Syncopate. If YP has no support spells, then just play the shitty bear and make them do something to it.

Also, the correct play was to drop mutavault turn 1 if you could =p. Turn 2 shock with buyback [mana]1[/mana] always starts the game off right.

Also, if you have videos, those help a lot. Control isn't easy but you shouldn't be losing that often.

Jedi
Newcomer

Postby Jedi » Mon Apr 21, 2014 9:49 pm

I wait & play T/T on turn 3. Esper has so many CiPT lands that they usually try to get them out of their hand ASAP. They're also less likely to shock themselves to drop an untapped land on T2 if they can avoid it. Maybe they're holding Syncopate in anticipation of your Phoenix and maybe not. I'd rather have T/T Syncopated than the Phoenix anyway.

dauntless268

Postby dauntless268 » Mon Apr 21, 2014 9:57 pm

The other cards in your hand are very important for the sequencing. If you have a shock, wait until turn 3 for the YP. Turn 2, they'll just devour flesh and then you still have to work around Syncopate. If YP has no support spells, then just play the shitty bear and make them do something to it.

Also, the correct play was to drop mutavault turn 1 if you could =p. Turn 2 shock with buyback [mana]1[/mana] always starts the game off right.

Also, if you have videos, those help a lot. Control isn't easy but you shouldn't be losing that often.
We are on the play, so if they devour flesh they can't counter our t3 T/T

Elricity
Tire Aficionado

Postby Elricity » Mon Apr 21, 2014 10:08 pm

I'm not actually all that concerned about protecting t/t unless the rest of your cards burns them out. If control wants to 1 for 1 my burn spells with counters, then they can have at. Though obviously I'd rather run out spells like lightning strike into counters first.

Honestly, this is a bit hypothetical because the other cards in hand matter a ton. Give us a starting 8.

dauntless268

Postby dauntless268 » Mon Apr 21, 2014 10:35 pm

OK, fine. Say your opening 7 is Boros Guildgate, Mountain, Mountain, Foundry, YP, T/T, WLH

Say the 8th card drawn on T2 is either have Shock, Lightning Strike, Chandra's Phoenix or another WLH - you can let me know what would affect your decision and what wouldn't, OK?

Thanks for helping me to learn!

Elricity
Tire Aficionado

Postby Elricity » Mon Apr 21, 2014 10:52 pm

Thanks, that helps. I was trying to come up with a sample hand myself.

If I draw the shock or strike, I'm stalling YP since I don't have enough burn to nova and I need something repeatable. They can't Syncopate it and I get a token regardless. Trouble can wait. If I draw helix, I'm flipping YP out there because it's just a crappy bear and now I have a lot of burn in hand. If I draw phoenix, YP is covering for him and/or trouble depending.

In other words, be patient if you don't "have it". Go aggro if you have a repeatable damage source.

montu

Postby montu » Tue Apr 22, 2014 12:51 am

I played a few SE events today and picked up 3 more QPs. I went with the Ash Zealot version of the list, which seemed to go better for me than usual. Here are the results across the 3 events.

RW Burn - Win in 2
GR Monsters - Loss in 2
Ux Devo - Loss in 3
Bx Aggro - Win in 2
Bx Devo - Win in 3
Ux Devo - Win in 3

I'm still a fan of boarding in Anger of the Gods on the draw in the right match-ups.

zenbitz

Postby zenbitz » Tue Apr 22, 2014 2:08 am

speaking of control... I just lost a G1 to UW when I attacked with pyromancer into celestial flare. Two turns later, Jace ultimates.

montu

Postby montu » Tue Apr 22, 2014 2:32 am

speaking of control... I just lost a G1 to UW when I attacked with pyromancer into celestial flare. Two turns later, Jace ultimates.
I'd have to say, I've never seen that, nor would have expected it. (I've seen in in WW decks, though)

P.S. and OT: After seeing this video, I might have to change my name from Montu to Banshee.

Banshee POV

magicdownunder
Tire Aficionado

Postby magicdownunder » Tue Apr 22, 2014 2:39 am

I'll would imagine letting Jace reach ultimate in a burn deck means you deserved too lose..... that said I tend to do really stupid things against control (in all formats) thus I need work on it as well (out of the T1 decks I rate it a close 2nd as my hardest MU).

In order it would be:
1# Ux Devotion - (its really depended on how good your opening draw is vs your opp. opening draws - having removals is key)
2# Control - (I'm just bad at this MU.....)

I'm ok vs everything else.

Enjoy Pauper, Standard, Momir, Modern and Music? then visit my channel: Video Link

Nezeru
Newcomer

4-0 tournament report

Postby Nezeru » Tue Apr 22, 2014 4:16 am

So, playing the same list I posted on Friday, I managed another 4-0 today.
Deck:
[deck]
4 Chandra's Phoenix
4 Young Pyromancer

3 Chained to the Rocks

1 Chandra, Pyromaster

3 Shock
3 Searing Blood
3 Warleader's Helix
4 Magma Jet
4 Lightning Strike
4 Skullcrack
4 Boros Charm

3 Mutavault
2 Boros Guildgate
1 Temple of Silence
1 Temple of Malice
4 Temple of Triumph
4 Sacred Foundry
8 Mountain

Sideboard
2 Assemble the Legion
1 Chained to the Rocks
1 Chandra, Pyromaster
1 Glare of Heresy
3 Mizzium Mortars
1 Mutavault
1 Spark Trooper
1 Warleader's Helix
1 Wear/Tear
3 Viashino Firstblade
[/deck]

Round 1 - Bye. :(
Round 2 - 2-1 vs RG Monsters. He boarded in 3-4 Disciple of Nylea (I saw 3 of them) and Ruric Thar hit the table, but I still only lost game 2 because I
forgot to play a land to have 7 mana the next turn for WLH + rebuy Phoenix and win (he was at 7 with a Courser of Kruphix in play), this was especially stupid. Games 1 and 3 were no contest.
Boarding: -4 Boros Charm -1 Shock +1 Spark Trooper +3 Mizzium Mortars +1 Chained to the Rocks. I missed having BlOb in my board for this and my next matchup.

Round 3 - 2-1 vs Bw Devotion. Game 2 I lost to his on-curve Obzedat when my hand was short ways to deal with it. Game 3 I was rewarded for very tight play after a keep that was somewhat weak to his turn 2 Pack Rat, turn 3 Pack Rat opener. I regretted boarding out my Shocks and Bloods for sure. Game 1 I crushed his BBoV with Shock+Searing Blood, so that was pretty cool. He also Devoured his own Nightveil in response to Lightning Strike, which seemed incorrect.
Boarding: -3 Searing Blood -3 Shock +1 Chandra +1 Mutavault +2 Assemble the Legion +2 Mizzium Mortars (he has Nightveil and Blood Baron)

Round 4 - 2-0 vs B Devotion. Game 1 was a very tightly played
game by both sides where I was at 2 and he was at 3 at one point, with Shock as my only burn spell. He had a Pack Rat on the table, and I had Chandra's Phoenix in play and another in hand with a Shock. I attacked with the one Chandra's Phoenix and it got Downfalled, but if his removal spell was Bile Blight, I would have lost by playing my second Phoenix. I played the second Phoenix and passed, he drew and passed, and after several turns of duking it out (during which I would instantly win if I ever saw my fifth land and was therefore able to play Phoenix and something else), I attacked for lethal.
Game 2 I won quickly by running out an unprotected YP$ (yes, this is always bad...except when it's not) that ate a removal spell, and then Phoenix + burn got there quickly.

naranja
Newcomer

Postby naranja » Tue Apr 22, 2014 9:51 am

I do play on MTGO, thanks for the tip on recording some matches. I may have to give that a shot.

@zenbitz: I am not sure if I remembered that turn correctly now that you bring up the point of why didn't I pop the Sire. I may have been laser focused on how sad it was Mizzium was going bye bye and missed the obvious kill, but I may also have instead had Mizzimum and 2 Jets. I do recall leaving R open after casting everything I could. Either way, I think you have a good point about needing to kill the 6/4 even if I 2-1. Once he drops I'm on a clock and if I have an answer in hand I probably have to do it now. Makes me wish I had taken a better note on this match.

Regarding the control matches: what do you do when you face an opponent that just won't tap out, ever after Turn 6 or 7? I find that I can't win that matchup. At that point my spells are countered, Jace hits and I am forced to deal with him or else ultimate
goes off, and eventually Rev is resolved because 1BB is left open. Sometimes it's hard to resolve the 7 spells you need to win the game.. you get 5 off and that's it. Feels like it happens to me a lot lately but maybe I'm just playing into their plans.

magicdownunder
Tire Aficionado

Postby magicdownunder » Tue Apr 22, 2014 10:21 am

Following situation vs Esper Control after SB: I have both YP and T/T in my opening hand. I'm on the play, both players play a CIPT land t1. What's the correct plan?

a) play T2 YP, allowing them to remove it but then being able to play T/T without risking it being countered?
C) hold back both spells, hoping for a later point in time to be able to play T/T?

As a variant, would it make a difference if you have Phoenix in that situation? A 2 mana burnspell?
If its against Control I'll slam YP$ T2 no matter what - its not a crucial part of
the attack plan in that MU at all.

(off-topic: I'm not looking forward too Hexproof post JOU, I sers. hope UW control will dominate the meta game enough to make then unfeasible)

Enjoy Pauper, Standard, Momir, Modern and Music? then visit my channel: Video Link

magicdownunder
Tire Aficionado

Postby magicdownunder » Tue Apr 22, 2014 2:24 pm

Last Time
Here is the list I was running last week (I have 5 finishes recorded with it before I made some more adjustments):

[deck=MDU's Barely Boros Burn]Lands 23
7 Mountain
4 Sacred Foundry
4 Temple of Triumph
3 Mutavault
1 Boros Guildgate
2 Temple of Silence
2 Temple of Malice

Creatures 8
4 Young Pyromancer
4 Chandra's Phoenix

Enchantments 3
3 Chained to the Rocks

Burns 26
4 Skullcrack
4 Boros Charm
4 Lightning Strike
4 Magma Jet
2 Searing Blood
4 Warleader's Helix
4 Shock

Sideboard 15
4 Toil // Trouble
3 Peak Eruptions
3 Satyr firedancer
2 Assemble the Legion
1 Glare of Heresy
1 Mizzium Mortars
1 Chained to the Rocks[/deck]
SE Report 6985077
G1 Bx Devotion vs Young Dancers (MDU&#
41; SE 6985077

G2 Ux Devotion vs Young Dancers (MDU) SE 6985077
G3 Split

SE Report 6988149
G1 Esper Control vs Young Dancers (MDU) SE 6988149
G2 Ux Devotion vs Young Dancers (MDU) SE 6988149
G3 Split

I do have a sideboard plan with explanations written out - which I'll post either sometime after the sets are complete or if I get 9 new subs or 20 new comments from different people (yeah yeah, I'm fishing for higher view count - whatever works).

SE Report 6989030

G1 Bx Devotion vs Young Dancers MDU SE 6989030
G2 Dredge vs Young Dancers MDU SE 6989030
G3 Bx Devotion vs Young Dancers MDU SE 6989030

I highly recommend reading some of the comments posted in the earlier videos - since they reminded/taught me new things which I didn't notice.

(p.s. I'm still working on that DtR add, so forgive the horrible mess in G2 & G3).

SE Report 6992287
G1 GB Midrange vs Young Dancers (MDU) SE 6992287[
/url]
[url=https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YeihwyPoiVM&list=PLBO2Co_8Gb6zIxGs3g-nnYDy6m7Azu4Ma]G2 BW Control vs Young Dancers (MDU) SE 6992287

G3 Split

I've updated the DtR introduction so I'll like some feedback on that :) (next week all the videos should include the DtR Mat as well.
SE Report 6993189
G1 Bx Devotion vs Young Dancers (MDU) SE 6993189
G2 Dredge vs Young Dancers (MDU) SE 6993189
[url=https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uy4myQo ... y6m7Azu4Ma&
amp;noredirect=1]G3 RDW vs Young Dancers (MDU) SE 6993189[/url]
reasoning behind the 75
I took out BO because YP$ does a good enough job at stalling creatures, I toss PE back into the board because I like the synergy with Dancer and PE vs Monsters (top it up with shock and almost everything dies). I also kept the dancer over 4 MM because Ux is making a comeback (I blame Sam P.) and finally I have 1x MM over the 4th dancer because sometimes that overload wins you games.

I would like Chandra back in the 75 but I'm not comfortable cutting WLH from the main or Glare from the side (those are the only reasonable cuts - unless I up the land count into 24 and cut both Bloods).

I’m 4x Shock to help against the mirror, BW and Ux Devotion MUs - I also felt that with the current top6 not running the 4x YP$ would be silly.

Top 6 decks in order:
1. Bx Devotion
2/2 (they're tied) Esper and Burn
4. Ux Devotion
5. BW
6. Monsters[/
spoiler]
Sideboard Plan (SBP) vs Top6 on MODO (Dredge has now replaced BW, but that is quite an easy MU)
Bx Devotion
Play
In: 2 Assemble the Legion, 1 Mizzium Mortars, 1 Chained to the Rocks, 2 Toil // Trouble
Out: 2 Searing Blood, 4 Shock

Draw
In: 2 Assemble the Legion, 1 Mizzium Mortars, 1 Chained to the Rocks, 4 Toil // Trouble
Out: 2 Searing Blood, 4 Shock, 2 Boros Charm

T//T is mainly in the deck for drawing extra cards which is why I believe two is the optimal number (its not likely you'll hit for 6-7 vs a deck chock full of discards), HOWEVER I'll run the full set of T//T on the play because YOLO
Esper Control
In: 1 Glare of Heresy, 4 Toil/Trouble
Out: 3 Chained to the Rocks, 2 Searing Blood

The main reason why Glare is in my SB over W//T is because I had
one extra space left for the control MU - glare happens to deal with prime problems like FSP whilst not being dead since it hits Dsphere and Elsepth
Burn
Play
In: 3 Peak Eruptions, 4 Toil/Trouble
Out: 3 Chained to the Rocks, 4 Chandra's Phoenix

Draw
In: 3 Peak Eruptions, 4 Toil/Trouble
Out: 1 Chained to the Rocks, 2 Chandra's Phoenix, 4 Young Pyromancer

It really depends on what you see the Opp. runs on G2 if they have creatures bring in the 4th chains if not you can just next level them (either way YP$ is better on the play, phoenix is better on the draw)
Ux Devotion
In: 1 Mizzium Mortars, 1 Chained to the Rocks, 3 Satyr Firedancer
Out: 4 Skullcrack, 1 Young Pyromancer

I opted for 1 YP$ over Boros Charm because you DON'T want a hand FILLED with creatures in this MU.
[
spoiler=BW]Play
In: 2 Assemble the Legion, 1 Mizzium Mortars, 1 Chained to the Rocks, 3 Satyr Firedancer
Out: 3 Shock, 4 Skullcrack

Really depends on the version, if its Bw devotion (gary) just pretend its a Bx Devotion deck - if its the midrange version run with this plan
Monster
In: 1 Mizzium Mortars, 1 Chained to the Rocks, 3 Satyr Firedancer, 3 Peak Eruptions
Out: 4 Skullcrack, 4 Young Pyromancer

Or

In: 1 Mizzium Mortars, 1 Chained to the Rocks, 1 Assemble the Legion, 3 Peak Eruptions
Out: 4 Skullcrack, 2 Searing Blood

YP$ is better vs Jund while Dancer is better Gr
Last edited by magicdownunder on Tue Apr 22, 2014 4:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Elricity
Tire Aficionado

Postby Elricity » Tue Apr 22, 2014 3:32 pm

As a variant, would it make a difference
if you have Phoenix in that situation? A 2 mana burnspell?
If its against Control I'll slam YP$ T2 no matter what - its not a crucial part of the attack plan in that MU at all.

(off-topic: I'm not looking forward too Hexproof post JOU, I sers. hope UW control will dominate the meta game enough to make then unfeasible)
Given how I bombed 2 UWx matchups last night, I'm deferring to MDU. Land floods and mulls to 5 but still, I was being too durdly.

Shadowlink
Newcomer

Postby Shadowlink » Tue Apr 22, 2014 5:15 pm

Just out of curiousity, how do you guys feel about this deck after the release of JOU? I'm not seeing many, if any, ugrades to the core, and we are looking at some stiffer competition with cards like nyx-fleece ram hitting just about every white deck sideboard. Are most of you guys planning to continue with Boros Burn?

Purp
Tire Aficionado

Postby Purp » Tue Apr 22, 2014 5:44 pm

Font of Ire is good. I won;t let anyone tell me otherwise.

yurp yurp

Valdarith
Tire Aficionado

Postby Valdarith » Tue Apr 22, 2014 5:56 pm

Purp loves bad Lava Axes.
Check out my stream! http://www.twitch.tv/valdarith

montu

Postby montu » Tue Apr 22, 2014 6:09 pm

Just out of curiousity, how do you guys feel about this deck after the release of JOU? I'm not seeing many, if any, ugrades to the core, and we are looking at some stiffer competition with cards like nyx-fleece ram hitting just about every white deck sideboard. Are most of you guys planning to continue with Boros Burn?
Hard to tell. There will certainly be as adjustment period. As MDU pointed out, Hexproof is also getting some tools. :frown:

Nyx-Fleece Ram is not a lot different than, e.g., Staff, which we can beat, and we do have ways to kill Ram. Overall, I'm guessing there will be more match-ups where we play control, and card advantage will become
important, so Chandra, Hammer, etc., might become more important.

There are some other tools we haven't been using that might become relevant. I've experimented with Pain Seer for card advantage (when it's good it's great, but it frequently doesn't work) as well as a singleton Gild as an 5th "Chained" effect. (It's not as bad as you might think.)

Anyway, there's a good chance the deck - as is - may struggle, especially with the options Mana Confluence opens up for other decks. But I'm thinking the core will be viable, it will just need tinkering.

zenbitz

Postby zenbitz » Tue Apr 22, 2014 6:20 pm

I am just spitballing here but if the meta shifts more to black aggro and WW then obviously firedancer comes back. Or anger of the gods. I actually think BW/atheros would be very annoying to play against without Anger.

Tanro
Newcomer

Postby Tanro » Tue Apr 22, 2014 6:29 pm

Welllll I quit playing Jundsters becuase fuck naya hexproof that is why..... Been playing this deck for a while now. I can say that Ash zealot is corner case at best, yp creates so much value in this deck it is stupid. So far I have been able to go 12-1 against the naya hexproof deck that has been ruining my local meta for me since I switched. This deck is great at controling that match up. The only time I see ashley being better is trying to pop a demon, or other big dumb creature with first strike + burn. Often times I find it more valid to burn and block tokens until I top deck an assemble or chains to deal with big dumb creatures.

Also, wild riccochet = love. Flooded out against control, get to 8 mana, slam helix, control player slams dissipate, slam ricochet, change target of his spell to wild ricochet, cast new one targeting his. Get the scry, top deck a firstblade and drop it next turn, ride to win.

DixieFlatline
Newcomer

Postby DixieFlatline » Tue Apr 22, 2014 6:41 pm

Font of Ire is good. I won;t let anyone tell me otherwise.
Damn right. Bad Lava Axe? You mean basically a Rift Bolt with suspend 2 that deals five damage.

And I'm at least half serious about that.

MTGO/Cockatrice: JebOfArabia

dauntless268

Postby dauntless268 » Tue Apr 22, 2014 8:35 pm

I hear Shrine of Burning Rage was quite good during its time? ;-)

OK, this thing obviously only deals 5 damage, but for that it's never a dead card.
Don't forget it's effect can't be countered and we have nothing really to do on t2 anyways, so it fits the curve quite nicely.. :)

Need to stock up on scrylands, though, as we have to reliably hit 4 mana...

PirateKingAtomsk

Postby PirateKingAtomsk » Tue Apr 22, 2014 9:22 pm

With the amount of 3 color decks that'll probbly pop up after mana confluence comes out how viable is running burning earth? Clearly you dont wanna run it while we're on the dega setup but cutting back to just red and white with the pressure added by our spells it could close out alot of games.
" :symtap: : Destroy target orifice."

Elricity
Tire Aficionado

Postby Elricity » Tue Apr 22, 2014 9:35 pm

You won't want BE against any deck running counterspells or enchantment removal which is...a fair bit. You also don't want it again any quick agro decks. I generally view BE as a weaker assemble.

Aodh
Tire Aficionado

Postby Aodh » Tue Apr 22, 2014 9:57 pm

Burning Earth is very strong against 3-color decks. It's not seeing play right now because there's only one of those. After the last two guilds get their scrylands and we have City of Brass, plenty of people will be experimenting with shards. I think BE will be very powerful during weak 1, but its long-term applications will be weakened if either the meta reverts back to fewer-color decks, or once the tri-color decks look into instant-speed enchantment hate.

montu

Postby montu » Tue Apr 22, 2014 10:02 pm

Went 3-0 in the SE I played today. That's 2x in a row for me. I'm now 7 out of 9 matches with the Ash list, and am 1 QP short of 15. [Edit: And my rating has gone up 60 points in the last week.]

In the last match, I pulled the following hand on the play for Game 1. About as good as it gets! I scryed a Chained. Would you keep it? I didn't, hoping to get the land for T//T. Then he played a Swamp. Ugh. But I drew a Mutavault and I hit him for 6 damage, and won the game eventually.

On game 3, my opp Thoughtseized away a Charm, but also saw I had an Anger of the Gods. He evidently thought I wouldn't play it because I also had an Ash. It was a mistake on his part because I played Ash and he couldn't do anything with a Rat he played.

Anyway, the decks I beat were: Hidden Agent (lol), Naya Hexproof, and Mono B Devo

The SB plans I use are
incredibly straight forward.

[deck=Montu's List]Lands 23
5 Mountain
4 Sacred Foundry
4 Temple of Triumph
4 Mutavault
4 Blood Crypt
2 Temple of Silence

Creatures 8
4 Ash Zealot
4 Chandra's Phoenix

Enchantments 3
3 Chained to the Rocks

Burns 25
4 Shock
4 Lightning Strike
3 Magma Jet
4 Skullcrack
2 Searing Blood
4 Boros Charm
4 Warleader's Helix

Sideboard 15
1 Chained to the Rocks
1 Blind Obedience
1 Toil // Trouble
1 Glare of Heresy
3 Peak Eruption
3 Satyr Firedancer
2 Anger of the Gods
2 Assemble the Legion
1 Hammer of Purphoros
[/deck]
Last edited by montu on Tue Apr 22, 2014 10:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Rhyno

Postby Rhyno » Tue Apr 22, 2014 10:04 pm

I can say that Ash zealot is corner case at best, yp creates so much value in this deck it is stupid. So far I have been able to go 12-1 against the naya hexproof deck that has been ruining my local meta for me since I switched.
Uh, can you expand on this please? I suspect either he or you are running a very different version than the norm or he's a terrible pilot. Teach us your secrets, because 3/3 Hexproof Lifelinkers swinging on T3 beats burn especially when they get bigger fast. I'm guessing you have some number of Anger and Wear//Tear too?

zenbitz

Postby zenbitz » Tue Apr 22, 2014 10:37 pm

I must admit I am enthralled with playing Burning Earth against Mana Confluence + 16 duals. I presume that if someone was to play BE they would have to keep it around 8 non basics, which means very light splashing.

Elricity
Tire Aficionado

Postby Elricity » Tue Apr 22, 2014 10:40 pm

In the last match, I pulled the following hand on the play for Game 1. About as good as it gets! I scryed a Chained. Would you keep it? I didn't, hoping to get the land for T//T. Then he played a Swamp. Ugh. But I drew a Mutavault and I hit him for 6 damage, and won the game eventually.

Yes, I would have tossed it to dig for lands against an unknown opponent and you already had a very fast agro hand with enough removal.While I would likely have kept it against a known black opponent, I wouldn't have actually minded either way.

PirateKingAtomsk

Postby PirateKingAtomsk » Tue Apr 22, 2014 10:47 pm

running fanatical devotion i'd only run 8 duals for my white splash and only on a rare occasion missed out on having white on time for something like chain but then playing burn i've run into having mana for it and no mountains so it could be a tossup
" :symtap: : Destroy target orifice."

Return to “Archives”