[Primer] Boros Burn

Threads from Standard formats since passed.

Moderators: Kaitscralt, zemanjaski, Christen

BrainsickHater
(View: POSTS_VIEWTOPIC /POSTS_VIEWTOPIC_INTO)

Postby BrainsickHater » Wed Jul 09, 2014 2:23 pm

Yo Hammer's pretty janky. You want all your land drops against control, having 6+ isn't even awful because it lets you swing with mutavaults, throw multiple burn spells, and throw helix while holding up skullcrack. The haste is rarely relevant.

Khaospawn
Khaospawn's beautiful and unique title

Postby Khaospawn » Wed Jul 09, 2014 2:50 pm

when I said the site needs traffic I meant literally Zem in a response to my own post about his visits
I may not approve of your forbidden love for him, but I will defend your right to have it.
telling someone their rude visits are welcome because all site traffic counts = forbidden love

and red mages wonder why people say they can barely count to 20
You're awfully testy this morning. Did somebody
spurn you before breakfast?
In a pinch, Khaos' beard can help turn this around.
I rarely skip a Khaospawn wall of text because I know there is always piss at the end of the rainbow.

Pedros
Tire Aficionado

Postby Pedros » Wed Jul 09, 2014 5:20 pm

I'll be more active when standard is relevant again.
GP Utreht in ~4 weeks, WMCQs starts in ~5-6 weeks. Anything going on that isnt burn? :P
Will anyone from DtR be attending GP Utrecht?
I am thinking about it.
Sig by NerdBoyWonder

GoblinWarchief

Postby GoblinWarchief » Wed Jul 09, 2014 6:09 pm

Currently i still lurk on this site because is the best place i found for advices about boros burn and i also enjoy the infinite amount of thrash talk (i'm usually too lazy to post or otherwise i would have written some kind of primer on legacy goblins/modern goblins/pauper goblins) .... i think that trying to create a whole-comprehensive forum about magic is not a good idea because there are A LOT of other sites doing that, while being specialized in red decks is almost unique. What you could do to improve the site is try to discuss better red decks in formats other than standard.... don't get me wrong, i found primers about modern burn /red deck wins informative and all, they just are a lot less discussed than standard.

Valdarith
Tire Aficionado

Postby Valdarith » Wed Jul 09, 2014 6:14 pm

Currently i still lurk on this site because is the best place i found for advices about boros burn and i also enjoy the infinite amount of thrash talk (i'm usually too lazy to post or otherwise i would have written some kind of primer on legacy goblins/modern goblins/pauper goblins) .... i think that trying to create a whole-comprehensive forum about magic is not a good idea because there are A LOT of other sites doing that, while being specialized in red decks is almost unique. What you could do to improve the site is try to discuss better red decks in formats other than standard.... don't get me wrong, i found primers about modern burn /red deck wins informative and all, they just are a lot less discussed than standard.
The problem is
that Burn and RDW are a smaller part of a much larger metagame. There's a much smaller incentive to be playing mono red in formats where mana is so good, so people naturally gravitate toward other decks.
Check out my stream! http://www.twitch.tv/valdarith

NotARobot

Postby NotARobot » Wed Jul 09, 2014 6:24 pm

Is there a thread for planned changes to the deck once m15 hits?

I mean not that much is changing besides the mana and maybe that convoke burn..

Purp
Tire Aficionado

Postby Purp » Wed Jul 09, 2014 6:27 pm

This thread will morph into M15 discussion once m15 hits, otherwise see this thread until then: viewtopic.php?f=90&p=242538#p242538

yurp yurp

HK1997

Postby HK1997 » Wed Jul 09, 2014 6:47 pm

Here is how I found this thread: Channel Fireball
I'm guessing that most noobs, like myself only knew of the big source sites like CFB and a couple of youtube streaming outfits like rogue deck builder and so on. I think it must have been the original Boros Burn article that Zeman wrote, where DtR was mentioned as a side note. I got curious and found you guys going at it in this primer :love:
Zeman was the only person I knew of and he was quite active in his posting, and hand-holding of new players that didnt understand how sideboarding with this deck works.
So my incentive to lurk for a few weeks was to come here every day I play for the "latest" in deck changes and sideboarding advice. Hell I used write shit down, that Zeman posted on sideboarding.

There is no better place for the standard boros burn player to get
advice and be welcomed as a noob, altho the 500+ post members can be quite intimidating to someone who doesnt know wether they are being assholes or sarcastic or both :shrug:
If we can find an outlet to just mention DtR to other burn mages (word of mouth) then we could indeed increase traffic and exposure of what we are doing here. Whenever I meet a non DtR member in the mirror and win, I mention the forum and tell him to copy a more "current" list. Sometimes when I cant stand seeing people like Brettwayne stream 2 month old burn lists, then I also send them the link to the thread.

But here is what I think will help most:

"LIKE" MDU's and other members's videos on youtube! Follow on twitch! Subscribe and everything if you like it!

Seriously. I see that two days after MDU posts a video, it usually has around 30-50 views.
That should translate into 30-50 likes! It's not like this is something they do on the side. There is time and work involved in editing, recording and uploading. Show your appreciation already :grovel:
Increase in subs and likes increases overall traffic and every one of those MDU videos has the DtR logo staring right as your face.

GoblinWarchief

Postby GoblinWarchief » Wed Jul 09, 2014 6:57 pm

Currently i still lurk on this site because is the best place i found for advices about boros burn and i also enjoy the infinite amount of thrash talk (i'm usually too lazy to post or otherwise i would have written some kind of primer on legacy goblins/modern goblins/pauper goblins) .... i think that trying to create a whole-comprehensive forum about magic is not a good idea because there are A LOT of other sites doing that, while being specialized in red decks is almost unique. What you could do to improve the site is try to discuss better red decks in formats other than standard.... don't get me
wrong, i found primers about modern burn /red deck wins informative and all, they just are a lot less discussed than standard.
The problem is that Burn and RDW are a smaller part of a much larger metagame. There's a much smaller incentive to be playing mono red in formats where mana is so good, so people naturally gravitate toward other decks.
Well, sometimes being specialized is better than beng comprehensive. Why the hell someone should be here rather than salvation or other places, besides dick jokes and such ? I know red decks are a small part of the metagame, but red mages in the world are still a lot.
At least, if everything is being discussed in this site, i still think that owning the flagship of "red mages site" is a benefit.

Tyrael
Tire Aficionado

Postby Tyrael » Wed Jul 09, 2014 7:02 pm

Mtgsalvation is pretty much a hellhole (mostly thanks to poor moderation) so that comparison is kinda useless anyway :p

Signature by NerdBoyWonder

Currently playing/testing:
:symub: :symw: Control :symub: :symw:

zenbitz

Postby zenbitz » Wed Jul 09, 2014 7:28 pm

I found this thread last year (early this year?) googling for "boros burn sideboard"

ChrisMachado
Newcomer

Postby ChrisMachado » Wed Jul 09, 2014 7:36 pm

I found this thread after a member recommended it to me, after I lost a mirror match. Much thanks to him =)

dauntless268

Postby dauntless268 » Wed Jul 09, 2014 8:28 pm

After having a good thought and going 3-0 in a SE before that EPIC world cup game germany vs brasil :grovel:, dauntless told me about his happiness of 2x hammer vs control. I've been on the recieving end of a hammer beat down before and know how bad it feels. Seems like a card that can work wonder?
So now my sideboard is becoming more of a collection of singles and two-ofs (which I like)
Epic indeed... two Germans sharing their undying :love2: for football and magic alike

PLEASE you will hate hammer if you play it in this configuration. If you want to run it,
1. lower your curve (= 2 drop threats)
2. Play the classic extra Mutavault in the board
3. Don't run it together with Chandra, that's absolute overkill
MTGO handle: Clemens268

ChrisMachado
Newcomer

Postby ChrisMachado » Wed Jul 09, 2014 9:49 pm

I got married yesterday, at am local time, in court. My wife got really pissed at me, because I was playing a standard daily, instead of planning the ceremony. Real story yo... Worse: I lost 1-3, she wouldn't let me focus and while I left to get some food, she "played" for me, conceding 2 games. Thanks honey.

LP, of the Fires
Tire Aficionado

Postby LP, of the Fires » Wed Jul 09, 2014 9:54 pm

Sallys a good comparison because it's the biggest magic forum out there. Doesn't master that the quality is shit, you can engage with lots of people there. TheyDUMP on our site if we are considered competition.
You gotta understand, I love the beatdown. I really do. I always have.

Beatdown is hard, though.

Patrick chapin

Elricity
Tire Aficionado

Postby Elricity » Wed Jul 09, 2014 10:12 pm

I got married yesterday, at am local time, in court. My wife got really pissed at me, because I was playing a standard daily, instead of planning the ceremony. Real story yo... Worse: I lost 1-3, she wouldn't let me focus and while I left to get some food, she "played" for me, conceding 2 games. Thanks honey.
I went to a GP the week after the honeymoon and was gone for 4 days. Those were...interesting times.

Actually, one of the reasons I switched mainly from paper to MTGO was to be able to avoid conflicts about FNM. Worked for me.

Sounds dumb but I recommend setting up a calendar or some kind of schedule.

Come for the burn deck, leave with the marriage advice.

P.S. Sally is more awful than I remember.

BrainsickHater

Postby BrainsickHater » Wed Jul 09, 2014 10:19 pm

Yeah I go to the same events every week so it's clear that magic is a thing I do, at specified times of the week, not anymore, not any less. If I plan on playing more than I usually do (for an event out-of-town or something) I tell the lady very far in advance and mention it repeatedly so there's no confusion or surprise argument about it.

BrainsickHater

Postby BrainsickHater » Wed Jul 09, 2014 10:37 pm

You know the format is stale and we've discussed RW burn to death when we talk about significant others, site traffic, and random drama more than the deck this thread is named after.

HK1997

Postby HK1997 » Wed Jul 09, 2014 10:53 pm

@ALL alright alright already! I wont run hammer! Bad idea! :P

NotARobot

Postby NotARobot » Thu Jul 10, 2014 12:00 am

So.. .. thoughts on what you all are gonna play post rotation?

LP, of the Fires
Tire Aficionado

Postby LP, of the Fires » Thu Jul 10, 2014 12:08 am

None as I don't know what's in Khans?

Probably something with prophetic flamespeaker, fanatic of mogis, and/or Soul of Shandalar.

For now? Casually crushing noobs with mono-blue. I can now fully articulate why I hate the deck but being one of the only proficient pilots in So-Cal just oozes with upside.

Patrick chapin

Kaitscralt
A frog among toads

Postby Kaitscralt » Thu Jul 10, 2014 12:09 am

Nice post HK, appreciate you taking the time

Word of mouth is big, also we have an active MTGO clan with players putting up big numbers/results and a shared pool of cards and information - bring your friends into the fold. Support the players making videos and also create your own content and articles, we will put it up on our new front page as long as it's got something worth saying. Lastly, follow us on Twitter.
Standard hobos who play budget garbage should be looked upon with suspicion.

BrainsickHater

Postby BrainsickHater » Thu Jul 10, 2014 12:12 am

If I wanted to write an article, where would I post it?

LP, of the Fires
Tire Aficionado

Postby LP, of the Fires » Thu Jul 10, 2014 12:13 am

I believe you should register on the front page. There's a link at the top of the forums.

Alternatively, Kait can just tell you.

Patrick chapin

BrainsickHater

Postby BrainsickHater » Thu Jul 10, 2014 12:26 am

ah found it, thank you much

Purp
Tire Aficionado

Postby Purp » Thu Jul 10, 2014 3:08 am

From Jsilvs article:

[deck]
Lands
4 x Mutavault
8 x Mountain
3 x Battlefield Forge
4 x Sacred Foundry
4 x Temple of Triumph
1 x Temple of Silence
Creatures
3 x Satyr Firedancer
4 x Young Pyromancer
4 x Chandra's Phoenix
Noncreature Spells
3 x Shock
4 x Lightning Strike
4 x Magma Jet
4 x Skullcrack
4 x Boros Charm
4 x Warleader's Helix
2 x Stoke the Flames

Sideboard
2 x Aggressive Mining
1 x Satyr Firedancer
3 x Mizzium Mortars
3 x Perilous Vault
2 x Chandra, Pyromaster
4 x Toil // Trouble
[/deck]

yurp yurp

LP, of the Fires
Tire Aficionado

Postby LP, of the Fires » Thu Jul 10, 2014 3:11 am

Looks like I pile, but I understand the theorycrafting and it's a speculative decklist so it's not necessarily supposed to be good so much as thought provoking.

And you meant Asully, not Jsilv

Patrick chapin

Lightning_Dolt
Tire Aficionado

Postby Lightning_Dolt » Thu Jul 10, 2014 3:16 am

You've become incredibly egotistical, beyond DtR and Reddit, you aren't shit. You seem to constantly be reminded that you are not as good as you think you are.
well technically Zem is not shit at DTR either as he has dropped public support for the site and tells me how lousy it is every time I talk to him on Skype, I don't use Reddit so I can't speak about that

now to be fair to Zem his country is small on the grand Magic stage... but so too once was Canada and look at it now, perhaps the black magick bushland is next

a CFB affiliation is more than anyone on this site has going for them
so credit is due where credit is due, but I am sure Zem is eager to prove himself with a top eight or a win in a pro event

and should that day never come DTR will not put its stingray barb through his steve irwin heart but rather we will let him keep on paddling back to the arms of that team we've never heard of and be glad for these occasional rude visits
To be fair, Zem did give us a lot of credit and recognition when he started with CFB. More than I think I personally deserved to be fair.

magicdownunder
Tire Aficionado

Postby magicdownunder » Thu Jul 10, 2014 3:17 am

Looks like I pile, but I understand the theorycrafting and it's a speculative decklist so it's not necessarily supposed to be good so much as thought provoking.
Agreed
And you meant Asully, not Jsilv
It really was Josh Silvestri article, here is the link.

Enjoy Pauper, Standard, Momir, Modern and Music? then visit my channel: Video Link

Purp
Tire Aficionado

Postby Purp » Thu Jul 10, 2014 3:22 am

CHECK YOUR SOURCES NIGGA.

yurp yurp

LP, of the Fires
Tire Aficionado

Postby LP, of the Fires » Thu Jul 10, 2014 3:25 am

I was thinking of this article: http://www.starcitygames.com/magic/stan ... h-M15.html

Oh well, shame on me.

/eat a dick

Patrick chapin

NotARobot

Postby NotARobot » Thu Jul 10, 2014 3:27 am

I can't say that I'm crazy about agressive mining... Might be one of those cards I'm totally wrong about, but with only 23 lands I don't feel like I have so many extra lands in most games that it would be worthwhile...

BlakLanner
Tire Aficionado

Postby BlakLanner » Thu Jul 10, 2014 3:29 am

For comparison, this is my starting point for M15. I am not a fan of Aggressive Mining yet, either.

[deck]
Creatures
4 Young Pyromancer
4 Chandra's Phoenix

Spells
3 Chained to the Rocks
4 Shock
4 Skullcrack
4 Lightning Strike
4 Magma Jet
4 Boros Charm
3 Warleader's Helix
3 Stoke the Flames

Lands
8 Mountain
4 Sacred Foundry
4 Temple of Triumph
3 Battlefield Forge
4 Mutavault

Sideboard
1 Chained to the Rocks
2 Wear/Tear
2 Chandra, Pyromaster
2 Phyrexian Revoker
4 Firedrinker Satyr
3 Satyr Firedancer
1 Stormbreath Dragon[/deck]
DCI Rules Advisor
MTGO/Cockatrice: BlakLanner
My YouTube Channel
BlakLanner is the boogeyman created to scare the little Standard players.
Currently Playing
Standard: [mana]RWU[/mana]Jeskai
Modern: [mana]RWG[/mana]Burn, [mana]GRWUR[/mana]Slivers
Legacy: [mana]R[/mana]Burn
EDH: [mana]RWGUB[/mana]Sliver Overlord, [mana]UW[/mana]Geist of Saint Traft (Tiny Leaders)
Current decklists are posted here

LP, of the Fires
Tire Aficionado

Postby LP, of the Fires » Thu Jul 10, 2014 3:31 am

It's a card I'd never play two of in a non-combo deck, that's for sure. About the worst diminishing returns possible.

Perilous vault is a much more interesting card to talk about. It's so...slow :p

Patrick chapin

magicdownunder
Tire Aficionado

Postby magicdownunder » Thu Jul 10, 2014 3:36 am

[deck=MDU's RW Burn]Lands 23
8 Mountain
4 Sacred Foundry
4 Temple of Triumph
3 Mutavault
2 Boros Guildgate
1 Temple of Silence
1 Battlefield Forge

Creatures 08
4 Young Pyromancer
4 Chandra's Phoenix

Enchantments and Removal 04
4 Chained to the Rocks

Burns 25
4 Magma Jet
4 Warleader's Helix
4 Skullcrack
4 Boros Charm
4 Lightning Strike
3 Shock
2 Stoke The Flames

Sideboard 15
1 Mutavault
2 Chandra, Pyromaster
2 Mizzium Mortars
2 Banishing Light
2 Pillar of Light
3 Hushwing Griffon
3 Toil // Trouble[/deck]

Stoke The Flames: 4cc MonoR burn which can be pointed up and down with an upside for possible 0-3cc? Sure sign me up

Battlefield Forge: the 12th white source which can replace MC because it doesn't deal 3-5 damage too you all the time? Sign me up again

Pillar of Light: An Exile card which focuses on toughness over power??? FOR SURE take that gary, courser, god cards and all the
other usual targets

Hushwing Griffon: <-- ok I'll admit I'm bias about this guys, perhaps he is horrible standard and It won't even see play but I LOVE cards which fly and have flash it also shits on Sin Collector, Tidebinder, Ghostdad, Gary, LBZ, MOW, FoM, weird Jund Enchantment decks.

EDIT: I hope no pro mentions Griffon so I can pick up a set for >$12 :)

Enjoy Pauper, Standard, Momir, Modern and Music? then visit my channel: Video Link

ChrisMachado
Newcomer

Postby ChrisMachado » Thu Jul 10, 2014 3:57 am

Too late, is in a few videos already MDU. Channel Fireball has a video preview where they were talking about it, I can't remember the other videos where I've seem it though. Mostly related to Vintage and Modern though, I don't think I have seem anything related to Standard about that card though.

Rhyno

Postby Rhyno » Thu Jul 10, 2014 4:56 am

This is what I'm leaning towards with M15.
I want Satyr Firedancers because I expect an uptick in Aggro and Mono Blue but that's not actually how I want to be boarding. Those 4 slots will be meta slots and will almost certainly not be Firedancers.

[deck]
Lands
8 Mountain
4 Mutavault
4 Sacred Foundry
4 Temple of Triumph
2 Battlefield Forge
1 Temple of Enlightenment

Creatures
4 Young Pyromancer
4 Chandra's Phoenix

Etc.
4 Chained to the Rocks

Burn Spells
4 Shock
4 Magma Jet
4 Lightning Strike
4 Skullcrack
4 Boros Charm
3 Warleader's Helix
2 Stoke the Flames

Sideboard
3 Wear//Tear
2 Mizzium Mortars
3 Hushwing Griff
2 Chandra, Pyromaster
4 Satyr Firedancer
1 Warleader's Helix
[/deck]

Rhyno

Postby Rhyno » Thu Jul 10, 2014 5:04 am

MDU, I see you settled on almost the same main deck and are also looking at Hushwing Gryff.

I really like him, gives us an answer to the some of the absolute best cards against us in their respective matchups (Gary, Obzedat, MoW) and attacks for 2. Awesome.

TBuzzsaw
Tire Aficionado

Postby TBuzzsaw » Thu Jul 10, 2014 5:30 am

Vault is just.... odd, but strangely enough I can see why it would be played. Although 3 is just overkill.

rage_jl
Newcomer

Postby rage_jl » Thu Jul 10, 2014 6:23 am

I'm going to run 2 Battlefield Forge, 1 Temple of Silence and 1 Temple of Malice in those flex land slots initially. I have really enjoyed the extra scry having 6 of them provides for the past several months and the positives have far outweighed the negatives with them so far. This was discussed quite a bit in pages past and the wisdom shard there by some of the esteemed members here remains true in my experience. That's been one huge benefit of this forum is having a rock solid manabase figured out.

@Rhyno I will probably try your approach initially removing a helix for the second stoke the flames just to keep the curve down initially. We'll see if the life gain loss is too much to give up.

Return to “Archives”