[Fedoras of Salvation] - White Knights ITT

Moderator: redthirst

Kazekirimaru
Tire Aficionado
(View: POSTS_VIEWTOPIC /POSTS_VIEWTOPIC_INTO)

Postby Kazekirimaru » Sat Apr 27, 2013 5:40 am

Well I bit it hard tonight, guys. I went 2-3, which was technically 1-4 because the only reason I won the third one was because the other guy dropped. Disgrace. Worst I've done in ever.

I don't even know. KDW is solid, no doubt about it. I just couldn't win post-board. I never saw my cards when I needed to. It was that kind of night.

I'm a bit disheartened.

Sasky
Tire Aficionado

Postby Sasky » Sat Apr 27, 2013 9:01 am

Well I bit it hard tonight, guys. I went 2-3, which was technically 1-4 because the only reason I won the third one was because the other guy dropped. Disgrace. Worst I've done in ever.

I don't even know. KDW is solid, no doubt about it. I just couldn't win post-board. I never saw my cards when I needed to. It was that kind of night.

I'm a bit disheartened.
That sucks, don't be disheartened. I find post-board games a problem when playing mono-red as well. Lack of card draw to filter out your silver bullets is one factor.

It is difficult to play red in this environment, but when you win the feeling is indescribable. You basically get to smirk at how you won with humble red spells over your opponent's pretentious expensive cards
tailored to beat aggro. Sometimes you run out of luck, and sometime you just make the wrong plays. But when it all comes together, it's amazing. And when you don't give up and give red another chance, things come together beautifully more often than not.

So don't despair! And go pee on something, preferably some copies of sphinx's revelation and thragtusk.

EDIT: Oh, I'm a mod for sally now. I actually applied quite a while back, before FoS moved here. I shall use my powers only for justice. DtR/FoS is still my favorite stomping ground. Redthirst is still my god and my love for him, like the fires of salvation shall never be extinguished.

Khaospawn
Khaospawn's beautiful and unique title

Postby Khaospawn » Sat Apr 27, 2013 9:21 am

The Khaos Challenge: 30 days without public urination
Sadly, I don't think I could make it 30 days without peeing on something...or someone.

@Calamity and Kaze - Sorry to hear about the losses, guys. I swear the deck is actually good, however I too have had Game 2's and 3's where I never saw a single SB card (even when I went "big!").

@Sasky - Excellent. You can be our mole. We'll topple Sally from the inside-out as the FoS moves one step closer to World Domination! Mwahahaha!

:vomit:
In a pinch, Khaos' beard can help turn this around.
I rarely skip a Khaospawn wall of text because I know there is always piss at the end of the rainbow.

Dodger

Postby Dodger » Sat Apr 27, 2013 10:45 am

I went 4-1 with jund aggro and top 4'd, to split a box of DM so that's 9 packs for me. A guy running Act 2 went 5-0. Then drafted but I was balls tired and went 0-2. Nothing that good got drafted, just a Legions Initiative (not me). I did get shitty Bob, which was passed on by 3 or 4 people. No one got a shockland. Then I pre-ordered two boxes, because I apparently like wasting money.

Khaospawn

Postby Khaospawn » Sat Apr 27, 2013 2:07 pm

Awesome job on top 4, dude.
I rarely skip a Khaospawn wall of text because I know there is always piss at the end of the rainbow.

windstrider
Knight in Sour Armor

Postby windstrider » Sat Apr 27, 2013 2:17 pm

I did the midnight prerelease as Rakdos, got paired with Gruul, and opened the biggest pile of crud I've ever seen for a card pool. Out of the 4 DM packs, I saw Emmara as the only guild champ. :flame: I ended up tearing her in half and leaving her at one table for someone else to find. I went 1-3. I'll post the card list after some sleep.
Searing Seneschal of Salvation

Cogito, ergo incendo.

sig by NBW

LP, of the Fires
Tire Aficionado

Postby LP, of the Fires » Sat Apr 27, 2013 2:41 pm

Went 3-1 at the prerelease losing the last round to the mirror. The undefeated's all went orhzov and got golgari/selesnya. At our final table, there was a point where all four of us had a kingpins imp in play. This was by far my favorite prerelease ever, especially considering my mana-base. My first game I drew a hand that looked like a sample hand from an LSV article. plains, forest, and all black and blue cards. The last game of the night for me, I told my opponent if we went to a game three, we should just go full 5cc and side in our red. Unfortunately, he drew his 7 drop battle commander guy before I did.

Highlights of the night:

1) Casting Beck and Call.

2) Playing a guildgates as my first 5 land drops.

3) Talking my buddy(who was also undefeated going into the last round) to splash red in his four color deck for Ruric Taar. It won him a ton of games and he thanked me immensely.

4) Playing 10 removal
spells.

5) Victory via extort+stab wound.

Slops:

1) Getting mind twisted by sin collecter. I had 3 removal spells in hand and just decided to burn 2 and get my putrefy exiled.

2) Having my dimir guildgate destroyed and then 2 more of my blue sources milled by the Destroy the Evidence.

3) Getting zero value out of screeching bat.

Overall, I learned that 3 color decks are the norm and 4/5 colors are fine in this sealed format and orzhov+green is filthy. Your basically playing a fair deck, but the MOST fair deck. The only deck that looked really scary was my friends dimir deck(he also finished 3-1 loosing to Ruric Taar junk). He had walls, removal, counters and aggressive cipher spells. Along with there broken guild champion. Overall, extremely happy that I was able to do some late registration for the midnight release.
You gotta understand, I love the beatdown. I really do. I always have.

Beatdown is hard, though.

Patrick chapin

LP, of the Fires
Tire Aficionado

Postby LP, of the Fires » Sat Apr 27, 2013 2:44 pm

I'll post my deck later today or maybe tomorrow. I haven't slept and I have the 10am prerelease in 3 and a half hours followed by hanging out with a female friend which is probably going to result in "High, good to see you. You mind if I sleep on your couch for 3 hours?"

Patrick chapin

zemanjaski
Tire Aficionado

Postby zemanjaski » Sat Apr 27, 2013 3:26 pm

I see you FNM and pre-release results and raise you my day; which involved 8 hours of drinking and being savages by a wolf (can't block, won't block). Also, may of emasculated some asshole at the football; bonus!
1 - Drunk, surly zem
2 - Nice, modest zem
3 - Bragpost zem
4 - Confident and funny zem
5 - Condescending jerk zem
6 - Self-aware zem
Everyone's a winner, we're making our fame,
Bona fide hustler making my name

photodyer
Tire Aficionado

Postby photodyer » Sat Apr 27, 2013 3:50 pm

You win, James! The wolf trumps all in magic...

I too will report in later...Went Rakdos and got paired with Orzhov and a good enough pool to play Dega easily. I'm going to tell you now...Blood Baron is the real deal. I lost exactly once when he hit the table--when my Gruul opponent dropped Act of Treason to turn my next turn win upside-down. Pro Black and White with a 4 butt is strong, and hitting him with any pump and FS is just filthy. And he laughs at angels... :D

But I'm gone...been up for 30 hours and have driven hundreds of miles. Will catch up later...
Righteous sig by NBW

Skaldic Master of Fiery Salvation

Common Sense is now a Mythic Rare.

Alex
Not Even MAD

Postby Alex » Sat Apr 27, 2013 3:53 pm

Missed the midnight prerelease. My ex wife is still staying in my house, and she had agreed to go with me, but at about 11 o'clock we were watching Dr. Who and then we got distracted and long story short we fucked for like 2 hours and we missed the prerelase. She's going to go with me today and we're probably going to play Orzhov and Boros in a 2HG.

Khaospawn

Postby Khaospawn » Sat Apr 27, 2013 3:54 pm

Everyone's day/night is a thousand times better than mine. I worked a ten pallet meat truck by my lonesome in a 35 degree cooler while running a mild fever at 5 in the morning. On the plus side, I led my department to a number 1 finish for the week, which is awesome since a new store opened up 6 months ago and has caused my sales to drop, resulting in a 3 month stretch of finishing 2nd-3rd in the market.

One day, I'll finally be able to play some goddamn Magic (besides EDH).

Jack
Tire Aficionado

Postby Jack » Sat Apr 27, 2013 4:12 pm

Hmm...all of you seem to be having a great time, save for Khaos (sorry about that, buddy :frown:). I'll be missing a few prereleases (I only ever go to one, if at all, so it's okay) because my lax team is all going out to see a 'Nova game. $3 to see D1 lacrosse...can't beat that! Afterwards, I'll catch the 5:00 2HG prerelease... SimiGruul FTW :jam:
Sig by NBW.

Khaospawn

Postby Khaospawn » Sat Apr 27, 2013 5:13 pm

It's all good, freedom. :)

I had a 60 pound case of chicken fall on my face and it nicked my nose. Somebody asked me what happened, cuz my face was all red, and I said that I got my ass beat by a bunch of dead chickens.

It's that kind of day, lol.

TubeHunter
Tire Aficionado

Postby TubeHunter » Sat Apr 27, 2013 5:14 pm

Going to 2 prereleases today. First I'm gonna choose Rakdos cause familiarity and all that shit, and the next Im going to randomly pick one cause fuck it, I hate sealed

Khaospawn

Postby Khaospawn » Sat Apr 27, 2013 5:23 pm

Random selection? Sounds pretty Red Mage to me. Be an agent of chaos!

LP, of the Fires
Tire Aficionado

Postby LP, of the Fires » Sat Apr 27, 2013 5:24 pm

Off to pre-release number two, but before I go, Sample hand time from my awesome sealed deck:

Plains
Island
Korozda Guildmage
Korozda Monitor
Zankikev Locust
Devour Flesh
Luminate Primordial

Patrick chapin

Khaospawn

Postby Khaospawn » Sat Apr 27, 2013 5:26 pm

Primordials are pretty fucking good. Except the Blue one. He's the Frost Titan of the bunch....

Christen
Tire Aficionado

Postby Christen » Sat Apr 27, 2013 5:43 pm

Went 3-1 at pre-release just because I mulled to 4 on that losing game sheesh. The rest of the day was pretty good though, and Master of Cruelties was my MVP of the night, with Metropolis Sprite and Nightveil Specter helping as well. I got Izzet but ended up playing Esper splashing red since my ally guild Dimir had better cards than the Izzet pack.

Master of Cruelties is just nuts.

hamfactorial
Tire Aficionado

Postby hamfactorial » Sat Apr 27, 2013 5:47 pm

I didn't go to any prerelease events last night, and I might not make any tonight. I'm a bad nerd :-(

But it's day 77, my family is visiting tonight for my cousin's birthday dinner, and I'm the most handsome nerd around. Problem fucking solved!

redthirst
Tire Aficionado

Postby redthirst » Sat Apr 27, 2013 5:48 pm

Drank way too much last night and apparently exchanged numbers with a few girls...

...or guys with girl names - I'm not completely sure.

Either way, I answered the texts by asking them if they wanted to go shooting with my gf and me, but none have responded.

:(

Sasky, where you modding? We need to know so we can be on good behavior in those areas.
Originally posted by Dechs Kaison on MTGS
redthirst is redthirst, fifth Horseman of the Apocalypse. He was the leader of the Fires of Salvation, the only clan I'm aware of to get modded off the forums so hard they made their own forums.

Degenerate? Sure. Loudmouth? You bet. Law abiding? No ****ing way.

Great guy to have around? Hell yes.
I love the D...

Sasky
Tire Aficionado

Postby Sasky » Sat Apr 27, 2013 6:23 pm

I'm actually modding standard.

Skipping prerelease this time. I really hate the set and figured there are a grand total of 0 cards I want to be adding to my mono-red, so yep.
Last edited by Sasky on Sun Apr 28, 2013 9:10 am, edited 1 time in total.

Sasky
Tire Aficionado

Postby Sasky » Sat Apr 27, 2013 6:29 pm

Went 3-1 at pre-release just because I mulled to 4 on that losing game sheesh. The rest of the day was pretty good though, and Master of Cruelties was my MVP of the night, with Metropolis Sprite and Nightveil Specter helping as well. I got Izzet but ended up playing Esper splashing red since my ally guild Dimir had better cards than the Izzet pack.

Do you think he might be constructed playable based on your experience with him? If yes, what shell would you put him in?

Dodger

Postby Dodger » Sat Apr 27, 2013 8:20 pm

Came across this deck for once DGM releases, it might be my first DGM deck once I get the advent the wurms for it

[deck]Creatures (15)
4 Cloudfin Raptor
4 Delver of Secrets
3 Snapcaster Mage
4 Geist of Saint Traft
Spells (23)
3 Unsummon
3 Simic Charm
3 Spell Rupture
4 Selesnya Charm
4 Call of the Conclave
2 Rootborn Defenses
4 Advent of the Wurm
Lands (22)
4 Temple Garden
3 Sunpetal Grove
4 Breeding Pool
4 Hinterland Harbor
4 Hallowed Fountain
3 Glacial Fortress
Sideboard (15)
2 Rootborn Defenses
2 Ranger’s Guile
3 Loxodon Smiter
4 Druid’s Deliverance
2 Dispel
2 Negate[/deck]

You can get some serious nut draws with this.

Link
Tire Aficionado

Postby Link » Sat Apr 27, 2013 8:32 pm

went 4-2, 2nd to last spot for prizing out at least.

Really mad about a misplay though, I almost had game 2 of the guy who came in first. Not sure if I would've had enough to beat him game 3...

his pool was literally insane.

Rakdos Cackler, ok.
Warleader's Helix. ow.
A SECOND warleader's helix... come the fuck on
AN OBZEDAT?

That was G1.

G2 Was
... EXAVA?
RAKDOS LORD OF FUCKING RIOTS?

My pool was Gruul/Golgari and the only way I found I could win was luck sacking with madcap skills or Double striking ogre for mad fucking burst damage.

Also pulled two Zhur-Taa Ancients. I played one against my friend who proceeded to use the mana to Catch and release it on turn 6. Didn't get blown out by any X-spells though when I landed him.

post pool later. Notables were the ancients, putrefy, Rubblebelt Maakas, oh and two toil and troubles. Those were nice, used them as burn once to out race a guy but mostly
as CA.

Ninja: Advent of the wurm into druid's deliverance is going to be the bane of my deck.
Till I break out my legion loyalists and go back to hyper-aggro sligh

Blackhound
prinny dood!

Postby Blackhound » Sat Apr 27, 2013 8:35 pm

I'm actually modding standard. I'm obviously not gonna infract any fos brothers, so go ahead and tell people off like you guys are used to. It keeps people honest and make them know their place. Now if the sally mods see this post I might lose my job, but hey, the red family comes first. I still don't agree with how the place is being run over there so I'm gonna stick by my principles.

Skipping prerelease this time. I really hate the set and figured there are a grand total of 0 cards I want to be adding to my mono-red, so yep.
Feel free to leak mod lounge posts here.

:rofl:

Link
Tire Aficionado

Postby Link » Sat Apr 27, 2013 9:26 pm

oh I forgot to mention I got Gruul War Chant!

Its not the greatest in limited but it won a few games.

The best I did with it was Spire tracer turn 1, some other stuff and creatures, gruul war chant turn 4. Turn 5 Primal visitation the Spire tacer for 5/4 goodness

Alex
Not Even MAD

Postby Alex » Sat Apr 27, 2013 10:08 pm

Skipping prerelease this time. I really hate the set
Yeah, we kind of decided to do the same. We actually went to the shop, saw how dead it was for the 2HG (probably because so many other people felt the same way you and I did,) and just chilled with some friends and drafted his cube instead.

Funny footnote: Alexandria (my ex) actually ended up winning the cube draft, despite being pretty lackluster at limited. She's a good, borderline great constructed player, but can't draft to save her life. We basically just died to mono white dudes. It was...embarrassing.

hamfactorial
Tire Aficionado

Postby hamfactorial » Sat Apr 27, 2013 10:41 pm

She drafted the Zapp Brannigan deck, then threw wave after wave of her own men into your life total until you reached your removal limit and shut down.

redthirst
Tire Aficionado

Postby redthirst » Sat Apr 27, 2013 11:06 pm

I'm actually modding standard. I'm obviously not gonna infract any fos brothers, so go ahead and tell people off like you guys are used to. It keeps people honest and make them know their place. Now if the sally mods see this post I might lose my job, but hey, the red family comes first. I still don't agree with how the place is being run over there so I'm gonna stick by my principles.
In the same vein - if go over and start acting like a horse's ass in the Standard Forums, I'm not going to get upset if you card me for it. Seriously, that place needs good mods, not more of the same-old shit.
Originally posted by Dechs Kaison on MTGS
redthirst is redthirst, fifth Horseman of the Apocalypse. He was the leader of the Fires of Salvation, the only clan I'm aware of to get modded off the forums so hard they made their own forums.

Degenerate? Sure. Loudmouth? You bet. Law abiding? No ****ing way.

Great guy to have around? Hell yes.
I love the D...

Kazekirimaru
Tire Aficionado

Postby Kazekirimaru » Sat Apr 27, 2013 11:13 pm

So, yeah. DGM doesn't look so hot to me. Anybody else looking to lean toward Eternal and Casual formats for a while? I traded a bunch of stuff yesterday for a playset of Aether Vial and some Commanders. I think I'll look through my ancient box of cards for some fodder today. Death and Taxes is still a thing, right?

Alex
Not Even MAD

Postby Alex » Sat Apr 27, 2013 11:27 pm

So, yeah. DGM doesn't look so hot to me. Anybody else looking to lean toward Eternal and Casual formats for a while? I traded a bunch of stuff yesterday for a playset of Aether Vial and some Commanders. I think I'll look through my ancient box of cards for some fodder today. Death and Taxes is still a thing, right?
Play Merfolk in Modern or something. You've already got the Vials!

windstrider
Knight in Sour Armor

Postby windstrider » Sat Apr 27, 2013 11:58 pm

Edited out my prerelease cards. Not bothering with it.
Last edited by windstrider on Mon Apr 29, 2013 5:50 am, edited 1 time in total.
Searing Seneschal of Salvation

Cogito, ergo incendo.

sig by NBW

Kazekirimaru
Tire Aficionado

Postby Kazekirimaru » Sun Apr 28, 2013 12:57 am

Play Merfolk in Modern or something. You've already got the Vials!
I was considering that. Though if I wanted to go tribal, it'd have to be Silvers. <3 I do want to get some use out of these vials before I stick em in D&T
for a while, though.

Christen
Tire Aficionado

Postby Christen » Sun Apr 28, 2013 1:32 am

Do you think he might be constructed playable based on your experience with him? If yes, what shell would you put him in?
He would be harder to play in constructed. The only
shell I can think of running him is in Grixis Control. You need to keep the creature count on the other side to 2 or less (with one creature at less than 4 toughness) for him to be effective. He is a damn good blocker though.

Sasky
Tire Aficionado

Postby Sasky » Sun Apr 28, 2013 2:04 am

Play Merfolk in Modern or something. You've already got the Vials![/quote:
afqs7pra]

I was considering that. Though if I wanted to go tribal, it'd have to be Silvers. <3 I do want to get some use out of these vials before I stick em in D&T for a while, though.
Death and Taxes is a highly viable deck in both modern and legacy. Build both and share the vials!
Went 3-1 at pre-release just because I mulled to 4 on that losing game sheesh. The rest of the day was pretty good though, and Master of Cruelties was my MVP of the night, with Metropolis Sprite and Nightveil Specter helping as well. I got Izzet but ended up playing Esper splashing red since my ally guild Dimir had better
cards than the Izzet pack.

He would be harder to play in constructed. The only shell I can think of running him is in Grixis Control. You need to keep the creature count on the other side to 2 or less (with one creature at less than 4 toughness) for him to be effective. He is a damn good blocker though.
Thanks, sounds like a good idea. I haven't gotten around to playing any magic yet, so I might try him out in Zeman's grixis deck when I get the chance.

Christen
Tire Aficionado

Postby Christen » Sun Apr 28, 2013 3:30 am

I just suddenly remembered one of my opponents playing a Sinister Possession on my Metropolis Sprite turn 2. When it was my turn and I dropped a land, he immediately asked if I was done.

"Er no, I'm attacking, we both lose 2 life."

He looked confused, then I proceeded to race him anyway.

Jack
Tire Aficionado

Postby Jack » Sun Apr 28, 2013 4:36 am

I ended up having a great time at the prerelease, and did pretty well, despite having pretty much no experience in limited formats (under 10 drafts and only 2 sealed events prior to this). My partner (a neighbor) is a less than capable player, so I ended up just acting as both heads for the giant, and we had a pretty great pool, although there was a lack of money rares. I actually did not play SimiGruul because 2 Boros packs were available, and we made a Naya deck, pretty much pure aggro, as well as an America deck, based upon supporting it through detain, removal and pump, along with a few of the extra creatures that there just wasn't enough room for in the Naya list. We ended up getting kicked out after the second round because it was 10:30 and the venue at which it was held closed at 10 and was cracking down on the store for staying open after closing time, but that was alright with me, as I got to enjoy 2 very technical
games. I ended up giving my teammate most of our cards (about 200) as he had much more use for them than I did, and we both walked away happy, as I also got a few cards for EDH and a bit of trade fodder.
Sig by NBW.

RedNihilist
Tire Aficionado

Postby RedNihilist » Sun Apr 28, 2013 5:07 am

Now, now, now.
I've played 2 prereleases when Gatecrash came out, and I went 3-1 and 4-0 winning the second event.

Nowadays I'm just being a disaster, and the only good cards I've found over 3 packs where Supreme Verdict, Blind Obedience, Exava and Lavinia.

Link
Tire Aficionado

Postby Link » Sun Apr 28, 2013 5:22 am

just need to get this out here quickly before I go out drinking with friends, and please shoot me down with reasoning and wisdom if Im being a baddie:

Armed & Dangerous: good enough for standard?

Its flexible, can either be huge burst damage against control during early turns (BTE+Armed), can turn cacklers with rancors into nightmares against creature strategies. Armed-> GCR is usually game even if they tapped out for a thragusk.

ALSO

Dangerous+Reckoner. gg new BAct combo?

Opinions

Return to “Fires of Salvation”