[Gatecrash] Official Spoilers for 1/10/13

Post about Magic Rumors here!

Moderator: rezombad

Thrillho
A clever, smart boy
(View: POSTS_VIEWTOPIC /POSTS_VIEWTOPIC_INTO)

[Gatecrash] Official Spoilers for 1/10/13

Postby Thrillho » Thu Jan 10, 2013 6:06 am

Thrull Parasite seems like a real card. Everything else spoiled today, not so much.

Crablimb Shark UG
Creature -- Crab Fish
Flash
Evolve
2/1
Attachments
Crablimb-Shark-Gatecrash-Spoiler.jpg
kl4nesr3r3_en.jpg
kl4nesr3r3_en.jpg (46.3 KiB) Viewed 2742 times
uhd7veq7bi_en.jpg
uhd7veq7bi_en.jpg (56.08 KiB) Viewed 2742 times
4olvi22ygg_en.jpg
4olvi22ygg_en.jpg (57.93 KiB) Viewed 2742 times
22s62gzi2u_en.jpg
22s62gzi2u_en.jpg (53.64 KiB) Viewed 2743 times

iamabadman
Defender of GRR

Postby iamabadman » Thu Jan 10, 2013 6:57 am

thats totally a hammerhead shark/crab man

Yannaria
Tire Aficionado

Postby Yannaria » Thu Jan 10, 2013 12:02 pm

Thrull Parasite is the shit.
Crab is neat. I'd rather have Snapcaster, but post rotation it might see some play in simic decks.
Ghor Clan Rampager is limited only. It's a beater or a nice combat trick.
Gyre Sage is cool.

Kaitscralt
A frog among toads

Postby Kaitscralt » Thu Jan 10, 2013 1:12 pm

Another yawn day for spoilers, although it must be said the Gruul card is absurdly pushed for Limited.
Standard hobos who play budget garbage should be looked upon with suspicion.

Thrillho
A clever, smart boy

Postby Thrillho » Thu Jan 10, 2013 3:29 pm

i just realized that pay 2 life to remove counters from things didn't work when we had hex parasite and why would it when it's pay 2 life to remove only 1 counter, though the 1-mana extort creature is a cool thing to have. unfortunate it wasn't really pushed at all.

Pendulum
Tire Aficionado

Postby Pendulum » Thu Jan 10, 2013 3:31 pm

Ha! Pretty sure Thrull Parasite's art got a last-minute remake, which pretty much proves to me at least that the rumor about something needing to be made "less submission bondage-y" was true. :rofl:

I've been thinking mono-Green Stompy's been waiting in the wings for something to give it enough of a push to make it viable, I think Gyre Sage might get it there.

Thrillho
A clever, smart boy

Postby Thrillho » Thu Jan 10, 2013 3:36 pm

Gyre Sage is a 2-mana 1/2 that cannot add mana to your mana pool unless you play a creature with higher power or toughness than it after it's in play, making it useless as a mana source late game and making it hinge on having creatures stronger than it in your hand that don't need the extra mana it should produce to cast.

What makes you think that it pushes the envelope on mono-green Stompy?

Pendulum
Tire Aficionado

Postby Pendulum » Thu Jan 10, 2013 4:08 pm

Well, my ramblings shouldn't be taken too seriously; I'm by no means an expert at predicting metagames. :embarrass: I just like the utility of it, it's going to be a second-string beater until it's needed to power out something more worthwhile. Stompy's problem was always "I caxxor da big guy, oh it got kilt I lose," but here we have a mana-producer that doubles easily enough as a Jacekiller once you get rolling.

Thrillho
A clever, smart boy

Postby Thrillho » Thu Jan 10, 2013 4:38 pm

This isn't a metagame thing, I'm just curious why you think the card is good. You're saying it puts stompy on the map: what does it offer stompy that the deck didn't have until this card was printed or what does it do better than other cards in stompy currently?

I see 2-mana Willow Elf that requires you to commit more resources to the board before it's more than that, and when that 2-mana Willow Elf adds mana but only after you play more things, why do you need that extra mana if you're playing more things without issue? And what happens when you draw it turn 11? Llanowar Elf still adds mana and costs half as much on turn 11.

I guess a better line of questioning is if you think this guy is good, what are your views on Experiment One? It costs half as much mana and doesn't hold any illusions about trying to make you believe the mana ability is relevant.

Edit: I'm not picking on you to make fun of you, btw, I'm
trying to tease through your logic and hopefully get a better understanding of why you evaluate this card this way.

iamabadman
Defender of GRR

Postby iamabadman » Thu Jan 10, 2013 5:17 pm

Ha! Pretty sure Thrull Parasite's art got a last-minute remake, which pretty much proves to me at least that the rumor about something needing to be made "less submission bondage-y" was true. :rofl:

wait, what rumor?

Pendulum
Tire Aficionado

Postby Pendulum » Thu Jan 10, 2013 9:55 pm

@Thrillho: It's the utility I like. It's mana ramp [i:ux6upyk3]and[/i:ux6upyk3] backup swings, which is what Stompy, as archetype, needs right now. Like, one of the basic tenants of why Stompy hasn't really been a deck in so long is because cards can't deal with a changing battlefield: your Rampant Growth ain't killing Gideon, if you namene. But this guy does both; thus you [i:ux6upyk3]can[/i:ux6upyk3] compare him to Experiment One, but the point of Experiment One is that he's aggressive as hell, not that he's willing to sit back and do something relevant until he gets in there.
And please do keep in mind I don't mean that Stompy would be top tier, I just think it has the chops to kill the deck that kills the deck.

@iamabadman: I dunno, heard the rumor somewhere. :shrug:

Second Harkius
Spam Yrself Clean

Postby Second Harkius » Fri Jan 11, 2013 4:31 am

A U/G creature named Crablimb Shark with art like that needed to be a rare.

Return to “News and Rumors”