[Primer] R/g Gruul Sligh

Threads from Standard formats since passed.

Moderators: Kaitscralt, zemanjaski, Christen

Link
Tire Aficionado
(View: POSTS_VIEWTOPIC /POSTS_VIEWTOPIC_INTO)

Postby Link » Mon Jul 29, 2013 7:52 pm

Makes sense, R/g can still be a rough match-up though so I'd have to test that without the fogs

Str1fe5
Newcomer

Postby Str1fe5 » Tue Jul 30, 2013 4:54 am

So if you go the muta route you have to jettison the reckoners.

Valdarith
Tire Aficionado

Postby Valdarith » Tue Jul 30, 2013 4:35 pm

As long as you have 19-20 sources to cast Reckoners with he's fine to have. I wouldn't add Mutavaults until I got to 20 sources though.
Check out my stream! http://www.twitch.tv/valdarith

Link
Tire Aficionado

Postby Link » Mon Aug 12, 2013 5:55 am

Got 2nd at Game Day. Didn't have burning earths in the SB at all, I just really don't like them as a card anymore.

Its more impactful just being known, aka Jund siding in dead golgari charms against me (I have the no x/1 creature list), uwr being afraid of it and holding counterspells, etc.

I ran the 28 creatures, 21 land, 4-4-3 Spear, Pillar, Madcap. The raw burst potential of the build is what won me most games, just being able to press on the offensive any time, especially against a Jund aggro with aristocrats and aristocrats act 2 itself.

Sb was:

[deck]SB[/deck]

Domri and bact never got sided in, but there were definitely decks out there that Iw ouldve needed them against (b.w tokens, elves, etc, and U/W tempo and control lists with Domri).

Skullcrack won me some games against jund. Ive really come around to liking the
card, it just helps you dump your hand and do as much damage per card as efficiently as possible, leaving them with dead cards in their hand. VCA is the best way to beat Jund.

Lost to Jund in the finals though, because I got rakdos returned for the rest of my gas, and liliana'd early. Was pretty effective at going to topdeck mode with just me having a cackler on the field and him drawing olivia...

Khaospawn
Khaospawn's beautiful and unique title

Postby Khaospawn » Mon Aug 12, 2013 2:39 pm

Fate, what is this "no x/1" list. I'm curious.
In a pinch, Khaos' beard can help turn this around.
I rarely skip a Khaospawn wall of text because I know there is always piss at the end of the rainbow.

Link
Tire Aficionado

Postby Link » Tue Aug 13, 2013 5:15 am

[deck]
28 Creatures
4x Stromkirk Noble
4x rakdos Cackler
4x burning-tree Emissary
4x Flinthoof Boar
4x Boros Reckoner
4x Hellrider
4x Ghor-Clan rampager

10 Spells
2x Madcap Skills
4x Searing Spear
4x Pillar of Flame

22 Land
4x Stomping Ground
4x Rootbound Crag
3x Temple Garden
11x Mountain[/deck]

mad cap pillar and land count get be fudged around a bit, but the creature base remains the same. Firefist is replaced with madcap for a more immediate, more punishing card. its not even that bad against jund because they typically try to drop creatures to outclass yours once they run out of removal and you can just go around them. Madcap hellrider, just try it.

PirateKingAtomsk

Postby PirateKingAtomsk » Tue Aug 13, 2013 12:40 pm

I think mad cap is good in any sligh deck running bte's (nice to drop on your 1cmc guy after a couple bte's) people always look down on enchantments cause they lead to 2 for 1's but when your running them in a deck that aims to kill by turn 4 you could just consider it a sorcery and if it sticks around more then 1 turn then its win-more and if your guys get killed then he was probably gunna die anyways and now you've snuck in some extra damage.
" :symtap: : Destroy target orifice."

Link
Tire Aficionado

Postby Link » Tue Aug 13, 2013 6:34 pm

it basically makes it impossible to race you and that's the key of this archetype. They used to be lightning maulers which sitll allow you to dump your hand on the table more effectively, but it also makes it much easier for them to stabilize via creatures, when you should be ruling the battlefield with ghor-clans and burn,

Khaospawn

Postby Khaospawn » Tue Aug 13, 2013 6:46 pm

I really like the list. If only it was feasible to run Stonewright instead of Madcap here. :/

Bond to a GCR. Firebreathing trampler? Oh, baby.
I rarely skip a Khaospawn wall of text because I know there is always piss at the end of the rainbow.

Platypus
Tire Aficionado

Postby Platypus » Tue Aug 13, 2013 6:49 pm

With 19 red sources there shouldn't be too much trouble with 2 Stonewrights, right?
Sig by NBW

Khaospawn

Postby Khaospawn » Tue Aug 13, 2013 6:54 pm

I suppose it could work. Or I'm just having delusions of grandeur.

Link
Tire Aficionado

Postby Link » Tue Aug 13, 2013 7:04 pm

if you want a mana dump hellkitesx2 in the SB have always worked fine for me ;D

Z said it best re: stonewright. You need to abuse VCA to win and Stonewright is just getting you incremental adventages that won't add up to enouhg vs. a long game against jund or control.

Hardcasting GCR is usually only done when on the brink of losing to Jund or in the mirror, in which case following him up with VStrength has usually produced more of an "Oh, baby" effect for me >_>b

for the SB listed above just take out 2 domris for Hellkites. the 2 Blast Acts are pretty flex too, you might want mortars in there for the mirror if you like burning or fog if racing is yo thing

Return to “Archives”